Photo

Car mods causing my game to crash

23 replies to this topic
RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:19 AM Edited by brootalperry, 12 May 2013 - 01:47 AM.

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this. If not, please just move it.

Well to start off, I would just like to know a few things.
I have the Steam version of GTA 4, which is on patch 7. I use other mods such as Icenhancer 1.2, Better City Textures, Speedo IV, a few script mods, traffic load and a trainer. That's pretty much it. The game runs perfectly with these, however once I add a car the game crashes to the desktop with no error message. I don't have any cars saved in the parking spaces. When I put cars in I tend to leave the handling alone. The only time I add the handling lines that came with the car in is when the car is off balance and rolls over. The only thing I also change in the vehicle.ide lines is the frequency and max number so that the car I replaced isn't being driven around the city but 20 other NPCs. Those are the only changes I make. I replaced this with the banshee and didn't change anything except for what I said above. Yet the game still crashes.

My system specs are:
Core i5 760 @ 3.31 GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 480 @ 805/1985 MHz
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Resolution 1920x1080

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

if you use traffic fixes like TL with default cars that have 200 ko textures you will run great , but if you try with cars that have bigger sizes textures you'll run into problems in 95 % of the cases . try deactivating traffic load and see how it works

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Okay I'll try that. But the thing is, I disabled the cars with the trainer when testing this.
I use a fuel mod, indicator script, and fire patrol script.

I'll continue to remove and add to see what exactly is going on. But I've never really had problems like this in the past.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

Well, it's been 2 months. I've tried uninstalling the game and starting over, installing mods one by one, and just playing the games without any mods. I don't know what's causing this and I don't know where to start. Is it Steam? Hardware configuration? Maybe something on my PC is causing the game to crash randomly or in the same place every time I replace/add a car to the game.

Although the game isn't completely stable. Sometimes without the car mods installed the game would still crash. It's the only game I've ever played in my life on PC that has crashed this much, even without mods installed. Strangely enough it seems to be the Steam version as I've never had this problem with the retail version of the game, which shouldn't really matter since I had both of them patch to 1.0.7.0 dontgetit.gif

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Update 2 (?)

Well I took out dsound.dll and used xlive.dll to disable GFWL and the game is completely stable. No crashes or anything. Using the same mods and same cars I played for about 5 minutes with no crashes. Could the problem be dsound.dll or GFWL?

I have no idea, but to sacrifice multiplayer..I guess if I want to mod I can use EFLC, but I would like to figure out what exactly is causing my game to crash. But now I've gotten somewhere.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:44 AM Edited by brootalperry, 23 April 2013 - 06:43 AM.

Update

After much web searching it seems that the problem is in fact dsound.dll
A few other people have had this problem. Now that I use xlive the game is a little bit better but still not 100% stable. If I ever want multiplayer I guess I could just swap out the two since multiplayer is fine, and only single player is affected.

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (brootalperry @ Wednesday, Jan 2 2013, 06:44)
Last update.

... the game is a little bit better but still not 100% stable...

i think you 're asking too much to the rig and maybe to the game too . 3 scripts including traffic load plus icenhancer , this is is very ressource demanding . but GTA is very stable . i have no crashes myself

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:03 AM Edited by brootalperry, 23 April 2013 - 06:44 AM.

QUOTE (jpm1 @ Wednesday, Jan 2 2013, 14:01)
QUOTE (brootalperry @ Wednesday, Jan 2 2013, 06:44)
Last update.

... the game is a little bit better but still not 100% stable...

i think you 're asking too much to the rig and maybe to the game too . 3 scripts including traffic load plus icenhancer , this is is very ressource demanding . but GTA is very stable . i have no crashes myself

So, even with xlive.dll installed the game still crashed with just 1 car replaced (dukes --> mustang fastback), not only that but my framerates were terrible. Mostly in the 20s and high teens and Icenhancer 2.1 kept doing the red sky plus really bad glare from the sun. Well, I got sick of it and decided I had nothing to lose, so I downgraded to 1.0.4.0 and I do not regret it! Not only has my performance doubled with it maxed out, but now the game doesn't even crash with the same car as before! Sucks I can't play multiplayer but it's alright, I suppose I'll do that with GTA V. Thanks for replying though, and I know my PC isn't the best to run this game, but I've even overclocked my CPU further to 3.3 Ghz with turbo enabled plus I've overclocked my GTX 480 to 830Mhz. I suppose that will help a little bit at least rolleyes.gif

Now I suppose I can try different ENB/Icenhancers and mod all the cars I want. Main reason I didn't downgrade sooner was because of MP and I like the look of the shadows in 1.0.7.0, but performance and other issues outweighed MP and good looking shadows.

dounet
  • dounet

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

hi there, im try to answer to your problem, im woorking in this moment at a gta4 1.0.7.0 whit everithing replace, actualy texture hd , tree ,road hd , enb series, trainer and the moutain maps have already done and works whitout crash, 60% of the car have been replace.

So yes, some car make the game crash but the problem it's not the texture of the car, but the handling or the vehicule.ide they are wrong and the game crash because of that, also i have try 5 maybee 6 enb serie , just 1 don't give me crash, the other game crash again, els too give crash a lot, so whit 1 car replace i thing your problem it's your enb or the handling

an don't set the view distance at 100 / 60 is better and you don't see much difference, for traffic use the realtraffic mods is the better .you never see 10 cab in same place or 10 same car.
Still working on my gta4 almost done , test whit the full scenario for see if crash or not
So even if yo change 1 car whit 1 other one" texture 7mo" the game never crash for that, all the car i have put in have minimum 4mo wtd

test on i7 2600k / 16 go ram / 580 gtx 1.5 ram / my apologies for my bad english i do my best.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (dounet @ Wednesday, Jan 23 2013, 02:36)
hi there, im try to answer to your problem, im woorking in this moment at a gta4 1.0.7.0 whit everithing replace, actualy texture hd , tree ,road hd , enb series, trainer and the moutain maps have already done and works whitout crash, 60% of the car have been replace.

So yes, some car make the game crash but the problem it's not the texture of the car, but the handling or the vehicule.ide they are wrong and the game crash because of that, also i have try 5 maybee 6 enb serie , just 1 don't give me crash, the other game crash again, els too give crash a lot, so whit 1 car replace i thing your problem it's your enb or the handling

an don't set the view distance at 100 / 60 is better and you don't see much difference, for traffic use the realtraffic mods is the better .you never see 10 cab in same place or 10 same car.
Still working on my gta4 almost done , test whit the full scenario for see if crash or not
So even if yo change 1 car whit 1 other one" texture 7mo" the game never crash for that, all the car i have put in have minimum 4mo wtd

test on i7 2600k / 16 go ram / 580 gtx 1.5 ram / my apologies for my bad english i do my best.

Hey! Thanks for replying! I'm sorry I haven't been here in a while. I got sick of the constant crashing and just uninstalled it. Recently I found a forum somewhere (I think it was Steam) where someone said that it could be a problem with my OS installation. Seeing as how I have literally tried everything I can think of to fix the problems I had with GTA 4 and EFLC I have made the decision to reinstall Windows 7. My hard drive is also getting full and I think it's about to to start over fresh anyway.

Once I do reinstall Windows and get everything up-to-date I'll install GTA 4 before any game or additional software. If I still have the problems then I guess that leaves me with 2 options.

1. Try your solution.
2. Completely abandon GTA 4 and hope GTA 5 won't be the same way.

I've already backed up what I need and I plan on reinstalling Windows either this weekend or next weekend, so I'll reply back until then biggrin.gif

Again thanks for taking your time to help me. I'm also doing this to help people that might have the same problems as me.

Thor110
  • Thor110

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

You can pin that down to the indicator script, it crashes my game every 5-15 minutes...

The fire patrol script also seems to have bugs...

Thor110

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

the indicator script is one of the best script out there . very stable and very low ressource demanding wink.gif . crashes can be caused by several things , here are few of them :

- too many heavy sized cars coupled with a traffic fix script --> very ressource demanding
- too many scripts installed . hardware ressources are limited ..
- non-rebuilt map or vehicle archive , that asks for too much ressources
- sometimes i had crashes when crashing cars . i still don't know what causes this

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE (brootalperry @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 03:19)
The only thing I also change in the vehicle.ide lines is the frequency and max number so that the car I replaced isn't being driven around the city but 20 other NPCs.

What did you set the frequency to?

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:15 AM Edited by brootalperry, 23 April 2013 - 06:48 AM.

QUOTE (jpm1 @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 20:50)
the indicator script is one of the best script out there . very stable and very low ressource demanding wink.gif . crashes can be caused by several things , here are few of them :

- too many heavy sized cars coupled with a traffic fix script --> very ressource demanding
- too many scripts installed . hardware ressources are limited ..
- non-rebuilt map or vehicle archive , that asks for too much ressources
- sometimes i had crashes when crashing cars . i still don't know what causes this

That reminds me. I did have quite a lot of scripts which could also explain the infrequent crashes I would have even without car mods or any other mods.
I did have traffic load however even with 1 modded car ie. a 1967 mustang, the game would crash to the desktop with (most of the time) no error messages.
The third point you made I don't really understand what that is whatsthat.gif
And your fourth point goes back to my first sentence about the infrequent crashes without car mods. I would crash just a regular GTA 4 car into a wall and bam! It freezes for a few seconds then crashes like usual.

QUOTE (cornflakes4u @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 04:45)

The frequency I would set to 1 and the max number I would set to 0
But still, even before I had the Steam version (retail) I didn't have those problems when I set those numbers.

Okay, perhaps I'll reinstall the game one more time to do some more tests, but I've already made back ups of what I need for when I reinstall Windows.
If nothing works I'll do that and go from there.
Again sorry for infrequent replies. I've been busy with school, and I'll only be getting busier until mid May smile.gif

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (brootalperry @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 07:15)

The third point you made I don't really understand what that is whatsthat.gif

you are concerned if you made modifications to map files (map folder) , or if you made modifications in the vehicles.img files and you did not rebuild

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (brootalperry @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 08:15)
QUOTE (cornflakes4u @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 04:45)

The frequency I would set to 1 and the max number I would set to 0
But still, even before I had the Steam version (retail) I didn't have those problems when I set those numbers.

Alright, just checking. Setting frequency to 0 crashes the game.

Side-note: you don't have to change max number, since frequency set to 1 already does the trick.

Dexter00
  • Dexter00

F*CKING F*CK

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Alright guys, I reinstalled GTA 4 and kept some of the things you've told me in mind. I don't have as much scripts as I used to (I don't even remember all of them). I've added a trainer, Better City Textures, SpeedoIV, and dsound (not xlive this time). I also replaced the dukes with a mustang fastback and there's no crashes or anything. I'm feeling confident but still kinda anticipating a sudden freeze every time I start playing. The constant crashing from before has left me traumatized cry.gif Probably the last 2 things I'd like to do is add an extra island (maybe Red Dead Desert or something) and iCEnhancer.
I think I have jpm1 to thank the most. You saved me from reinstalling Windows. Also cornflakes4u thanks as well. I wasn't aware that setting the frequency to 0 would crash the game. Perhaps coupled with the tons of scripts I had running, there was also a car I replaced that had the frequency to 0 and I overlooked it.

If anything else comes up I'll report back icon14.gif

RanxeroX
  • RanxeroX

Wielding Many Hats

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Considering your original post, you may want to follow this bit of advice:

"Always review whether car mods need their handling.dat and vehicles.ide entries changed!"

The reason I say this is because there is additional information contained in those entries that aren't just performance-related. Many mod authors make changes/improvements over stock vehicles or just make them a certain way. The way they let the game know about these changes are through the other info in the new entries they provide with their modded cars.

For example, although the handling.dat file's entries are mostly numbers related to performance & handling, there are three entries at the end of each vehicle's info that are different.

The first, called 'mflag', tells the game what features the vehicle has. Things like what type of vehicle it is (van/bus/hatchback/heli/plane/etc.), seating arrangement, brake/exhaust/axle type and others.

The second flag,'hflag', tells the game what unique handling properties the vehicle has. It sets things like tire size, hydraulics, etc.. Changes made to this flag can have a big effect on how a vehicle handles in-game.

The last flag, 'anim', tells the game what animation to use when entering/exiting the vehicle.

The other GTA IV file, vehicles.ide, also has entries that are directly related to model content. The two most important (I think) are tire size and 'flags'. Fail to enter the proper tire sizes and the vehicle either floats in the air or is sunk in the ground. Gotta hot new car mod with multiple paintjobs? Well, without the 'livery' option added to 'flags', you'll never see them cuz you don't have the flag set.

So, as I hope you can see from the bit I've spelled out here that it's important to have the proper settings in the right places if you want a car mod to work without problems. Fail to set the little things and the game might just hiccup, fail to set the critical things and the game might just keel over instead...

Unless you fully understand what all that data does (and who does?), I think it's a wiser option to make the changes when installing new vehicles. Even if you just edit the flag-type stuff and leave the performance/handling alone, I'm sure you'll be better off.

Keep in mind too that carcols.dat info can be important too. This applies when you go from a 3-color entry to 4 colors or vice-versa. The file has to be manually edited because 4-color vehicles have a special section at the bottom of the file. Entries have to be either moved into or out of this area and deleted in one or the other. I don't know what the game does when not setup right but at the very least, I'm betting, the vehicle won't look right!

Also, don't forget to back up your originals and always rebuild the archives you changed.

I hope this helps you and clears some things up!

P.S. These same types of problems also happened in the game GTA San Andreas when people added cars without updating their handling & vehicles lines! Just check their forums...

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Thank you everyone that has replied and given me solutions. The game has been flawless so far except for a couple minor things.
I think the problem may have been the vehicle.ide
But still, the game has been really crash free (as of now) and strangely enough I'm getting really good FPS with maxed out settings. Before I was getting frames in the low 20s but now I'm getting frames from 30-50 with an average of about 35(?). That's just based on my own observation. I think that's pretty good considering my past performance. I don't know what I did or how I did it, but the game is great now =)
The two problems I have now is:
1. When I have any map mod installed and I go to do a mission, the game would crash right after the cutscene. So removing the mod removes the crashing. However with the mod installed the game will not crash unless I start a mission.

2. Sometimes after playing a multiplayer match and then leaving the match or exiting the game, it would crash with a "GTA 4 has stopped working" error.

Those 2 problems are minor and don't really bother me. I'm just happy to enjoy the game again =)
Thanks again guys.

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

i have a map mod installed (only one) and i can do the missions with no problem .it's a small map mod , few desertic islands that is very likely very low ressources consuming . i believe that if the mod use custom and most of all high res textures the more chances you get to see problems happen

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:38 AM Edited by brootalperry, 12 May 2013 - 01:52 AM.

I've been slowly progressing through the story now =) EFLC also works wonderfully, but with no mods.
Although it seems the more I progress through the story the more random the crashes get. I suspect it's hardware related. I think the game is indeed very resource intensive with some of the mods that I'm using and it's taking a toll on my system causing the game to crash after a set amount of time. Although I'm not sure, I'll put the blame on Traffic Load and my setting of the Vehicle Density slider.
Anyway like I said before, it works great and I've also solved my lag problem by limiting the game to 30 fps. Now instead of the fps going from the 50s indoors to the 20s-40s outdoors, it's now at a constant 30 fps with occasional dips to 20 fps. This makes the game a lot smoother and makes me happy as well colgate.gif

jpm1 do you have any alternatives to traffic load that perhaps isn't so resource intensive? I like to use traffic load because it does indeed diversify the traffic in terms of seeing things like buses and ice cream trucks around the city. I'll play a while without it and see how the game is; if I still have problems I'll lower the Vehicle Density from 100 to 50 (lowest I'm willing to go) and see how the game plays from there as well. I'm determined to make this game work as it's really the only game I've had this much trouble with..and I'm OCD like that turn.gif not to mention my strange addiction and love for it as well.

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:34 PM Edited by jpm1, 12 May 2013 - 06:36 PM.

EFLC is not exactly the same stuff as IV , mods that work without problem with IV can crash with EFLC . you need to read the mod readme every time . traffic load is a great script i tried to make it work correctly during monthes but i think it's impossible . cause if you run vanilla you'll see there are only 5 or 6 different types of cars in traffic each time . if this is like that it's because there is a reason , the game canno't handle more . if you want to see buses it's possible you need to affect the bus to one or several vehicle groups . you can use IV needle to do this . you won't have buses frequently and regularly as with TL but sometimes you'll see few around . but if you run the game at 30 fps with traffic density on 100 , this is pretty good news , that means you have a rig to play GTA in very good conditions happy.gif

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (jpm1 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 18:34)
EFLC is not exactly the same stuff as IV , mods that work without problem with IV can crash with EFLC . you need to read the mod readme every time . traffic load is a great script i tried to make it work correctly during monthes but i think it's impossible . cause if you run vanilla you'll see there are only 5 or 6 different types of cars in traffic each time . if this is like that it's because there is a reason , the game canno't handle more . if you want to see buses it's possible you need to affect the bus to one or several vehicle groups . you can use IV needle to do this . you won't have buses frequently and regularly as with TL but sometimes you'll see few around . but if you run the game at 30 fps with traffic density on 100 , this is pretty good news , that means you have a rig to play GTA in very good conditions happy.gif

Same here. I still saw repetitions in the traffic and it just made the game use more and more memory until there was none left and crashed. So I looked for other solutions and found a few. I'll try these out to see which one works best. I have every setting maxed out and I have a constant 30fps 98% of the time. The only time where it dips to maybe 20-24 is when it's foggy and/or there's a lot of shadows being rendered at once. I can't believe how smooth the game is like this. It's unbelievable; a lot better than having fps in the 50s, then it drops by 10-20 causing lag from hell.
Anyway, my problem with EFLC was a mod causing the game to crash in a mission. After reinstalling that and leaving it untouched it works great, and I also get the same performance maxed out.
Let's hope we both can be lucky with GTA 5. I can't afford another upgrade at the moment..you know, since I'm graduating high school and starting college this summer smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users