Quantcast

» «
Photo

Would It Bother You If A Gta Protagonist Was Gay

135 replies to this topic

Poll: Would It Bother You If A Future Gta protagonist Was Gay? (210 member(s) have cast votes)

Would It Bother You If A Future Gta protagonist Was Gay?

1. Yes (94 votes [49.21%])

Percentage of vote: 49.21%

2. No (97 votes [50.79%])

Percentage of vote: 50.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote
huevos_benedicto_180
  • huevos_benedicto_180

Spring 2013

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 13:44)
You guys do realize not every homosexual is like Bernie? What about Tony? Infact I wish he was the protagonist intead of Luis.

The problem with these threads is it reminds me of high school when everyone would call eachother gay and act like immature asses about it. Yes even I done it. Not all gay people jump around like fairies with pink as their favourite colour.

One way R* could do it is he tries to hide it, but as the game progresses his denial that he's really gay pushes him to the edge. It would add a whole new layer of personaility and depth IMO.

I don't have a problem with a gay protagonist. Aslong as he's interesting.

Amen, why does some people think that every gay man is the hysterical effeminate stereotype? Laughable.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

I remember when I played all the NES games so I could be someone I couldn't in real life. Let it be a plumber, a vampire killer, shirtless guy with a machine gun or a toad. Let GTA have the same feeling at least. You can be gay in real life, but you can't be a guy who can kill, steal cars, do crimes etc. and not suffer a lot by doing it.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

I take back what I said.
As long as he doesn't date guys, I'm OK with it.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

I'd like to be able to date men in GTA V and invite them for a cup of Hot Coffee. Imagine San Andreas sex videogame in RAGE. Not because it would be usefull for me, but because it would upset a lot of people in the states. Especially Extreme Bible readers such as Jack Thompson. It does not matter because their thoughts are wrong anyway.

I am sure Lars Vilks would agree.

aliaseedful
  • aliaseedful

Living and dying in Alderney

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Linki @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 05:17)
QUOTE (aliaseedful @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 01:33)
QUOTE (TOMAHAWKS @ Monday, Oct 22 2012, 23:49)
HELL TO THE f*ck YEAH IT WOULD BOTHER ME! I strongly disapprove of homosexuality, even though it's cool for women, I don't tolerate that sh*t. Over here in Connecticut we stomp the gay kids out and take their money, so I guess you can say I have grown up in an anti-gay environment. My answer is is yes, it would bother me. Not looking to start a debate with internet vigilanties that are the sworn protectors of gays, but I'm just giving my foolish insight.

WOW, you are an idiot.

Hey, like he said, it's just his insight on it.

Not everyone has to approve of homosexuality.

Well, he is an idiot not for his hatred of gays. I can live with people hating gays. It's just that he is all for lesbians and not gay men, like it's any f*cking different.

So, it's okay for girls to like girls, but not men to like men? That makes perfect sense.

Karl Pilkington
  • Karl Pilkington

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

i actually don't think their should be a gay man as the main character personally i just don't think it would feel right 4 gta but i think rockstar should make a game with a gay man as the main character and make it sandbox make it like a gangster game but also a passionate gay love story i was thinking he can be called lebron and be from the hood and its the story of him trying 2 get out of the hood but also coming 2 grips with himself it would be powerful! ROCKSTAR USE MY IDEA! IT WOULD BE HUGE! inlove.gif

intent100
  • intent100

genetically different BABY!

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Karl Pilkington @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 21:48)
i actually don't think their should be a gay man as the main character personally i just don't think it would feel right 4 gta but i think rockstar should make a game with a gay man as the main character and make it sandbox make it like a gangster game but also a passionate gay love story i was thinking he can be called lebron and be from the hood and its the story of him trying 2 get out of the hood but also coming 2 grips with himself it would be powerful! ROCKSTAR USE MY IDEA! IT WOULD BE HUGE! inlove.gif

i would buy it! title?

Karl Pilkington
  • Karl Pilkington

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (intent100 @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 21:51)
QUOTE (Karl Pilkington @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 21:48)
i actually don't think their should be a gay man as the main character  personally i just don't think it would feel right 4 gta  but i think rockstar should make a game with a gay man as the main character and make it sandbox make it like a gangster game but also a passionate gay love story i was thinking he can be called lebron and be from the hood and its the story of him  trying 2 get out of the hood but also coming 2 grips with himself it would be powerful! ROCKSTAR USE MY IDEA! IT WOULD BE HUGE!  inlove.gif

i would buy it! title?

Lebrons Love
Pitz 2 Glamour And Glitz
Who Am i?

They Could ALL Be Titles

caio3771
  • caio3771

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

It would be very weird, the point of playing GTA is that you can kill everybody, f*ck all the girls as well run the whole town and be the most bad-ass of all time.
Also we can do lots of things we wouldn't probably do in normal life. A gay doesn't do that, so , no, I don't want to play as a gay man.

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

NO!!!

I'm not homophobe!!!

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

No not at all, i think it be pretty funny.

no flaming please.

gta player13
  • gta player13

BOOM! headshot.

• Members

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

I wouldn't bother as long he killed,hijacked and was involved in gangs.

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (caio3771 @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 22:09)
It would be very weird, the point of playing GTA is that you can kill everybody, f*ck all the girls as well run the whole town and be the most bad-ass of all time.
Also we can do lots of things we wouldn't probably do in normal life. A gay doesn't do that, so , no, I don't want to play as a gay man.

There are gay man who do that. Don't get too infuenced on stereotypes.

Shou
  • Shou

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:12 PM Edited by shoumic, 23 February 2013 - 05:12 AM.

Even though I respect anyone who is gay, I would not want to be someone like Tony or Florian.

Maybe Tony because he's badass but still ph34r.gif

aliaseedful
  • aliaseedful

Living and dying in Alderney

• Members

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (CJ killed Ryder @ Wednesday, Oct 24 2012, 15:42)
QUOTE (caio3771 @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 22:09)

There are gay man who do that. Don't get too infuenced on stereotypes.

In fact many serial killers were gay.

CrashGordon94
  • CrashGordon94

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

It wouldn't bother me at all!

Though I will mention a few things:
• As someone previously mentioned, letting you date people of either gender would probably be even better to deal with sexual diversity AND it goes with the sandbox freedom stuff the series is built on! biggrin.gif
• It WOULD be an issue if he was made a stereotype though, it would be rather offensive and would clash with and/or hinder the standard GTA formula...
• It would be even cooler to play as a woman IMO. You could kill two birds with one stone and make her a lesbian or let her date other women to kill two birds with one stone! lol.gif The combined approach also has the advantage that R* could indulge the stereotype without clashing with standard GTA stuff as much (It would still be offensive though...).

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE (gta player13 @ Wednesday, Oct 24 2012, 19:16)

I'm not trying to be a dick or have something against gays; but do you really think a gang would let a gay man in????

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (BabeRuth @ Saturday, Oct 27 2012, 03:07)

I'm not trying to be a dick or have something against gays; but do you really think a gang would let a gay man in????

Exactly. He would probably try to rape all the gang members lol.gif

Senex Iunior
  • Senex Iunior

Living in Vice Point since 2002

• Members

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Saturday, Oct 27 2012, 04:13)

Yes, because "homosexual" means "rapist".

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Senex Iunior @ Saturday, Oct 27 2012, 11:15)
QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Saturday, Oct 27 2012, 04:13)

Yes, because "homosexual" means "rapist".

I never said that dozingoff.gif
It was a joke which YOU didn't understand.

Senex Iunior
  • Senex Iunior

Living in Vice Point since 2002

• Members

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Saturday, Oct 27 2012, 06:44)
I never said that dozingoff.gif
It was a joke which YOU didn't understand.

I think I understood it perfectly. You insinuate that if a GTA protagonist were to be gay, he would automatically have an unrequited sexual attraction to all of his villainous cohorts AND act on those urges in an extremely unethical manner... when none of the GTA protagonists have presumably raped anybody, except for perhaps Niko (and that's pure personal speculation on his dark past- I don't think he honestly would have).

(this whole thread has failed terribly, btw)

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

No. I don't condone homosexuality (although I agree with giving them the right to live their life how they want) but I would actually laugh if the protagonist was gay.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

I'd buy it anyways.

Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:51 AM Edited by mincemate003, 01 November 2012 - 03:36 AM.

Firstly I'd like to say thank you to Cyper, 02Fishera, and Miamivicecity for being voices of reason in this topic. It's people such as yourselves that make me enjoy this place icon14.gif .

Then I'd like to go along with those who have brought up the gay characters featured in the GTA IV saga. Yes, Tony and Bernie do indeed have many of the stereotypes that we see of gays in our culture. However, I don't think Rockstar was intending to portray these guys in a negative light. After all, pretty much every character featured in GTA IV has a stereotype of some sort. Stereotyping and poking fun at the culture is Rockstar's greatest trademark. So yes, while I do think that while neither Tony nor Bernie do much to break the molds, it is simply a result of how many in society view gays. Our culture cannot evolve without us.

I do have to applaud them for featuring gay characters in the first place. Rockstar have shown themselves to not be afraid of doing some "ugly" or "radical" things. From sex to violence and back again, they have been there every step of the way in breaking away these silly "moral" obligations we have to limit our freedom in what we do behind closed doors in a video game. In this instance, gay characters naturally came along when the doors finally began to open in society.

It's not just gay characters either. Another example of a cultural barrier we've seen be pushed further back is race. Think about how many non-white characters we saw featured in GTA III. 8-ball? Asuka? Maybe a few others? Mostly a cast of white characters though. We don't even need to jump to GTA IV to see change. Just look at the transition from III to Vice City, and Vice City to San Andreas. We got a main character (basically second in command) who was black, then a black protagonist. If that isn't an example of Rockstar basically shooting the everliving f*ck out of a culture barrier and breaking down the doors, then I don't know what is.

With this in mind I think that a gay protagonist would naturally come sooner or later. There will definitely be fuss at first (look at the poll), just like there was lots of racism-fueled fuss over playing as CJ. However, players as a whole will eventually realize it to be a non-issue. And we will move closer to realizing that we cannot have entertainment for people when it doesn't represent people.

edit- Oh, and I'd just like to highlight one entertaining bit of hypocrisy/irony that has showed itself in this topic a lot. And that is people with this mindset: "Brutally massacring thousands of people, engaging in prostitution, dealing with drugs, abusing almost any type of person in the world, and blowing up cars at whim? Those are all okay, but two dudes loving each other? OMG that's so stupid and immoral!"

Maxaxle
  • Maxaxle

Used Car Acquisition Technician

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (TOMAHAWKS @ Monday, Oct 22 2012, 15:49)
[hateful garbage that is no more welcome here than it is a formal dinner party or something]

You know, because tolerance is overrated and being open-minded is for wusses.

San Andreas' girlfriend system never got in the way of the gameplay, save for the Heist, and even then you have the option of ignoring or even killing Millie after you get her keycard. CJ's ability to be a normal straight guy in a normal relationship (or five) never became a plot point, and IMO the same should apply to gay protagonists. So long as it doesn't hang up the plot, or become seriously plot-significant for no good reason besides "oh he/she is gay we should emphasize that", I'm fine with it.

Eddie Fuck the World
  • Eddie Fuck the World

The Bad Guy

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

I wouldn't really be bothered with a gay protagonist. And anyone who says homosexuality is wrong because God said so should read a history book. This country was f*cking made by lying, stealing and murder. Hell, this whole f*cking planet probably wouldn't have the advantages it has today if it wasn't for lying, stealing and murder.

50 years ago, we would have been asking if it would it bother you if a GTA protagonist was black

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

It's not like anyone cares anyway

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

No, but if he has a gay attitude like Bernie, yes.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

I'm gay and would not like a gay protagonist.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (Eddie f*ck the World @ Saturday, Feb 23 2013, 07:15)
I wouldn't really be bothered with a gay protagonist. And anyone who says homosexuality is wrong because God said so should read a history book. This country was f*cking made by lying, stealing and murder. Hell, this whole f*cking planet probably wouldn't have the advantages it has today if it wasn't for lying, stealing and murder.

Oh so true... never discriminate homosexuals. This world is full of rascist and domineering discriminate f*cks, they should treat other people equal in sex or color by religion and society.

And I don't bother any protagonist sex, no matter homos or females; at least they try to deliver the true message to everyone that in any differences, they should give importance.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Of course I would like playing as a happy protagonist. Just don't let it get in the way of the rampages. I don't want my character singing Walking on Sunshine while mowing down main street.

It's tough to say that I tolerate gay people because everyone starts screaming "UR A FAG LOL!!" It's quite the nuisance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users