Photo

Your favourite dashboards

148 replies to this topic
visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Many drivers couldn't care less about their car's dash and general interior ambience.

I'm not many drivers.

There are some who prefer a simple, uncluttered layout and those who like a bit of pizzaz in their auto. Off the top of my head:

The original 300SL. I like the bold use of body colouring, bringing the interior and exterior together stylistically. I appreciate the layout of all switchgear in one continuous horizontal strip. I love the very 50s mirror on the dash. And the tip-up wheel.

user posted image

The Series 1 Lagonda. A riot of touch-sensitive switchgear, LED displays and bold styling, all with traditional craftmanship. The single spoke wheel, whilst futuristic, necessitates a stately enamel Lagonda badge on dash instead of wheel. Best of old & new.

user posted image

The Z31. Like driving in a neon-lit 80s cloud of hookers & cocaine. Digital tacho also gives throttle level. Combi-analogue & digital central displays give you the Gs you're pulling round those Vice City streets. And it talks as well. Steering-wheel mounted cassette player controls mean you can rewind Billy Jean again and again whilst pulling outrageous powerslides. And crashing.

user posted image

Grand Wagoneer. This fusion of rugged 4X4 shapes coupled with all the conveniences of a 60s Imperial holds great appeal to me. Power everything, and I do mean everything. And style. Engine turned alloy, knurled switches, ample vinyl. The first SUV.

user posted image

Alpina Z8. Like a rolling beach club. The riot of blue suede-meets-white hide won't appeal to all. But it appeals to me. A spiritual throwback to the venerable 507, to a time when cruising the Riviera was a pleasure, not a chore. Front lit dials very oldskool.

user posted image

Six Gran Coupe. Amazing. Just amazing. I really have nothing else to say.

user posted image

Honourable Mention: C215 with the Granite Trim. Exquisite.

user posted image

Post your favourite dashes!

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:59 PM Edited by Kifflom112, 21 October 2012 - 06:08 PM.

user posted image
I designed my own dashboard for the 2013 BMW M6 in Build your car, absolutely the awesome-est dashboard I've seen in the 21st Century.
-Alcantara roof liner
-Ashwood trim
-Leather covered dashboard
-I don't know I added a TON of crap tounge.gif

Nobody has really got an M6 with this type of dashboard, but I found a 650i Convertible with options very similar to mine:
user posted image

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

inlove.gif

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (visionist @ Sunday, Oct 21 2012, 13:55)
Alpina Z8. Like a rolling beach club. The riot of blue suede-meets-white hide won't appeal to all. But it appeals to me. A spiritual throwback to the venerable 507, to a time when cruising the Riviera was a pleasure, not a chore. Front lit dials very oldskool.

user posted image

While the Z8 in general might be a throwback to the 507, the interior certainly isn't. Especially that ballsack-looking automatic shift lever. Though shifter aside, it certainly looks good.

user posted image
user posted image

Cursed
  • Cursed

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

Pretty much any dashboard from the 1960's. Painted metal, big dials with chrome rims, wooden rimmed steering wheels and plenty of vinyl. So much more appealing than the massive lumps of curved plastic in most cars nowadays.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

The Spyder has a very compact, very flowing, very Italian dash which I've always loved. The look of the switchgear is perfect for the type of car. And the endless colours available are a feast for the eyes. Many hours did I spend on Maserati's configurator. The dials are stunning. Loaded with bells & whistles, including an classic mechanical odometer, gear indicator, high & low warning lights for everything, over-rev indicators round the tacho, you name it. And they light up the trademark electric green colour all Ferrari group cars do. Yum.

user posted image

The Koenig Testarossa. Lurch will hate it. wink.gif Dog-Day will utterly despise it. biggrin.gif

user posted image

Me? I F*cking Love it.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

It's a little on the bright side, but it doesn't look too bad. Certainly more interesting than a regular Testerossa dash.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

That could quite easily be from a Vauxhall Nova with a ridiculous body kit.

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

The 1963-65 Buick Rivieras had a dash that's just sex.
user posted image

Closely followed by the mid 60's Thunderbirds.
user posted image

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

1G GSX

user posted image

69 Mach 1

user posted image

Los Santos Pedestrian
  • Los Santos Pedestrian

Then as it was, but again it will be

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

The dash for the Toyota 2000GT. Probably the most luxurious car Toyota ever made.

user posted image

cold blooded
  • cold blooded

OlllllllO

• Members

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

spyker c8
user posted image

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

user posted image

Bentley Brooklands.

I love all the dials and how each is cut right into the dash. Sort of makes you feel like you're sitting in a cockpit.

Michaś
  • Michaś

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

user posted image

Rolls Royce Ghost. Classic meets Modern. It's just awesome.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

It looks too clean. You'd expect such minimalism in a cheapo city car, not a Rolls.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

For a car that cost as much as a Rolls Royce, you'd think it'd be more technologically advanced than a car that cost less than 1/4th of it's price: for example a 2013 GS.
They really need to update it, even the M5 is much much more technologically advanced than the Phantom.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Guys Guys Guys.

The Phantom is a timeless style. Who cares about the latest gadgets when you're surrounded by acres of cured cow? The Maybach tried the technology over style focus and look where that is now.

The Roller's dash will never look outdated. The "modern" elements like the screen & IdiotDrive fold smartly away. The rest is Sheer Luxury: multiple hides of meticulously hand stitched leather from cows reared in fields without barbed-wire, so they can't scratch their skins- the characteristically Rolls Royce slim-rimmed steering wheel is done using two needles at once- opulent lambswool carpeting shorn with traditional methods, timber painstakingly carved by expert craftsmen from a single tree- practically any tree you want- which needs to pass rigorous crash testing standards lest a stray splinter end up in Mr Monopoly's eye, surgical grade stainless steel- same as a Rolex- for all the brightwork & switchgear, individually tuft stranded suede for the headlining, aircraft grade aluminium for the instrument surrounds. Even the damn instruments themselves use sapphire crystal lenses, again like a good timepiece. The Benters is to similarly high standards.

Anyway, here's a better view of the Koenig RedHead interior. That there is Buffalo skin leather cookie.gif

user posted image

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

A Rolls is to be enjoyed from the back so the dash is irrelevant. In all these years my parents have never sat in the front of a Rolls before.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:39 PM Edited by epoxi, 29 October 2012 - 07:42 PM.

QUOTE (visionist @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 17:07)
The Phantom is a timeless style. Who cares about the latest gadgets when you're surrounded by acres of cured cow? The Maybach tried the technology over style focus and look where that is now.

I think a contributing factor to the Maybach 57/62's unpopularity was Mercedes copying the Maybach styling for the W221. On the few occassions I have seen Maybachs I have mistaken them for S500s at first glance. The 57/62's best sales year was 2004...just before the 2005 Mercedes S-Class came out. whatsthat.gif

If you are selling a car for more than 300,000, one of the primary criteria it should satisfy is exclusivity.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

user posted image

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Well my favourite car has a nice dashboard too:
user posted image

But i truly love Holden Efijy's dashboard, retro vs modern:
user posted image

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE (visionist @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 11:07)
The Phantom is a timeless style. Who cares about the latest gadgets when you're surrounded by acres of cured cow? The Maybach tried the technology over style focus and look where that is now.XXBh_phjpg.png[/IMG]

I still don't like them. I mean, imo, the only good thing is the comfort and high quality materials. It looks ugly to me. I never liked Maybach's either, they're really overpriced for what they are.

I'm just saying, if I were rich, I'd hop skip and jump any day for a 760li or A8L over a Phantom, but that's just me. They look styled better, if I wanted a Rolls Royce, I think I'd like the old ones much better than the new ones.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 09:01)
I still don't like them. I mean, imo, the only good thing is the comfort and high quality materials. It looks ugly to me. I never liked Maybach's either, they're really overpriced for what they are.

I'm just saying, if I were rich, I'd hop skip and jump any day for a 760li or A8L over a Phantom, but that's just me. They look styled better, if I wanted a Rolls Royce, I think I'd like the old ones much better than the new ones.

The "only good thing" you speak of happens to be the things that matter to your average Phantom owner. The 7 Series and A8L aren't even in the same league.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

The whole "built to individual spec" thing of a Rolls/Bentley compared to A8/760/S600/S65 is going to be one of their major turn-ons for that type of owner. Not to mention quality of materials. It definitely says something when you have trees and cows grown specifically for that car.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:07 PM Edited by Kifflom112, 31 October 2012 - 06:09 PM.

QUOTE (Lurch @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 21:16)
The whole "built to individual spec" thing of a Rolls/Bentley compared to A8/760/S600/S65 is going to be one of their major turn-ons for that type of owner. Not to mention quality of materials. It definitely says something when you have trees and cows grown specifically for that car.

lol damn. I saw a documentury about this car, but never knew they grew specific trees and had specific cows for this car.
They do this for Bentley too? Well I love those, the new 2013 Continental Speed in specific.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Love the dashboard on This beautiful exectutive Bentley biggrin.gif

Edit: Oops, didn't realize I double posted. icon13.gif

SuperVeloce
  • SuperVeloce

Paramore <3

• Members

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

A bit of a plastic-fantastic explosion here, but god I love it!

user posted image

Also, can't beat a good ol' TVR dash...

user posted image

4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

^ I've always loved the interiors of TVR's, especially the dash.

user posted image

SuperVeloce
  • SuperVeloce

Paramore <3

• Members

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Yeah, TVRs never fail to amaze me in the way they're designed, in and out. Well, they never failed.

Shame it kind of went tits up with the TVR Sagaris 2...

user posted image

What is this? A user friendly dashboard? nervous.gif

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:28 AM Edited by Kifflom112, 11 November 2012 - 06:20 PM.

The 1957 Bel Air is really beautiful, but it's dashboard is truly the star:
user posted image
Love the Jaguar XKRS dashboard. Some critics may say it's a bit cheapy, but I like it:
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users