» «
Photo

A critique of GTA IV

26 replies to this topic
PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:21 AM Edited by PaddsterG2k3, 23 October 2012 - 04:05 PM.

Here Iím going to try and amass all of the features (within reason) that were not present in GTA IV but were present previously in the III era and before.

For all I loved GTA IV, and still play it regularly, there were quite a number of staple features that were not present, which makes the game disappointing in some regards for some people, including myself.

I'd also like to illustrate a point to both sides of the constant "IV vs. SA war" of the following:

To SA fans - a number of SA's features were in GTAs before SA
To IV fans - when critiquing IV for missing features I am not just comparing it to SA

--

I'll start off:

Fire, Ambulance and Taxi Missions - Present in III, VC and SA.

The Flamethrower
- Present in GTA, GTA2, III, VC and SA.

Safehouse garages - Present in III, VC, and SA.

Planes
- Present in VC and SA.

Buyable properties - Present in VC and SA.

Having a safehouse with more than two save spots - Present in III, VC and SA.

The military - Present in GTA2, III, VC and SA.

The Rhino - Present in GTA, GTA 2, III, VC and SA.

The Chainsaw - Present in VC and SA (WF the Hobgoblin)

Assests (businesses) - Present in VC and SA (0909090)

--

Please try to keep this sensible and intelligent. This is not necessarily a slagging of IV - but simply a list of why some were somewhat irked with it.

I've posted this in GTA Series Chat as I feel it covers a number of them.

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Swimming underwater- present in SA

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

Chainsaws... no chainsaws. sad.gif

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

And don't forget assets wink.gif

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

I like your list, but There were taxi missions in Iv. Just saying.

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

It was different though, you could only do them at the beginning of the game. Obviously he's referring to the ability to just steal any yellow cab and begin the taxi side missions.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (WF the Hobgoblin @ Sunday, Oct 21 2012, 13:06)
It was different though, you could only do them at the beginning of the game. Obviously he's referring to the ability to just steal any yellow cab and begin the taxi side missions.

Yeah exactly. I don't count them at all. One of my biggest disappointments with IV is not being able to roleplay as a NYC Cabbie. Its a distinct image of NYC and yet Rockstar didn't let us fulfil it.

huevos_benedicto_180
  • huevos_benedicto_180

Spring 2013

• Members

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

The BF Injection? I wouldn't say one car is "a feature missing".

I'm one of those pricks who's doesn't mind these features being missing because it wouldn't go with the mood. I can understand how much of an annoying viewpoint that is but that's how I feel.

Kigaauueurasica879
  • Kigaauueurasica879

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

The military was removed because they wanted to go for a more realistic approach. And because it made room for N.O.O.S.E., which kind of goes along with the theme of making Liberty City in IV everything that is wrong with America rolled into one.

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

Taken from: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=361301

Game Features not included in GTA4:
* Silencers on Pistols * Stealth kills with melee weapons * Stealth while hiding in shadows to avoid being seen * Dual-wielding handguns/submachine guns * Ammunation * Ammunation Mini challenge or a "Gun Club" prominently advertised at the main IV site * Flamethrower * Rampage side-missions with certain weapons * Purchasable Properties and Businesses * Parachutes * Free-fall control of character when falling off high buildings or helicopters * Extensive Clothing Options * Car Customization * Car Color Choice * Police on motorcyles/ police motorcycles * Nitro * Airplanes and Jets * Jetpack * Garage storage for cars. * Tanks * Military * Combat Helicopter that can shoot missiles * Working Semi's W/ Trailers * Farm Equipment * ATV's * Trucks with ramps to carry cars, ramps cannot be lowered to use as stunt jump ramps * Driving Schools * Multiple Races w Vehicle Rewards * Marathons * Bicycles * Melee training system, kung-fu dojo, boxing arena, etc. * Mountains & Country to have large chases or fun with vehicles* Tatoos * Haircuts * Monster trucks * Stadium for monster truck, demolition derby, or dirt bike racing * Diving Underwater * Paramedic side-missions * Firefighter side-missions * Truck side-missions * Cheeta * Cannot enter Police stations * No gang territory battles * Cannot conquer Liberty City * Katana sword * Machete * Chainsaw * Working Forklift * Saving your pictures you take with camera on your actual cell phone * BF Injection * Hovercraft * Tractor * C4 explosive charges * Brass knuckles * Tear Gas * Golf club melee * Fire extinguisher * Thermal Goggles for night-vision * Cannot drive Trains * Home Burglary * Weapon and driving skills improvement * No outward, unprovoked gang aggression outside standard missions. * Remote control toys * Gambling on horse racing, blackjack, etc. * Gym/customizing your character's body shape * Cannot pick up vehicles with helicopter * No particularly interesting cheats * No ability to max out running skill or make yourself fire proof by doing side missions * No noticeable change on the interiors of your apartments based on mementos or rewards achieved from in game missions * Less arcade games *

Game Features Introduced by GTAIV:
* Multiplayer on console * Multiplayer custom clothing options * High Definition Graphics * Realistic vehicle, weapon and melee physics * Vastly improved world detail overall * Euphoria/RAGE Physics engine * Television * Internet * Darts * Getting Hammered as an activity with Friends * Having friends without breasts that you actually hang out with* Comedy Club/Cabaret shows * The ability to pick and throw small objects * A fully functioning cell phone * The ability to drag along people who try to get into your vehicle. * A vastly improved adaptable cover system * Helitours and Boat rides * An improved game of pool * A new arcade game * New Radio Stations * The ability to find out the name of artist and title of song with the ZIT! service feature on your cell phone * Bowling * Extensive, more realistic and long lasting Vehicle Damage * Better scripts and AI used for basic pedestrians * Impending Downloadable Content, the ability to add to and enhance on what has all ready been given* A working sky trolley * A noticeably more mature and well thought out level of writing, no seriously. * "Moral Choices" * Multiple Endings * Varied scripts and dialog on drives to and from repeated missions and hanging out * "Random" Pedestrian encounters * Execution style cut scenes *

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (huevos_benedicto_180 @ Sunday, Oct 21 2012, 18:10)
The BF Injection? I wouldn't say one car is "a feature missing".

I'm one of those pricks who's doesn't mind these features being missing because it wouldn't go with the mood. I can understand how much of an annoying viewpoint that is but that's how I feel.

No thats fair enough. OK the BF Injection is more of a trivial point. Its an example of something that has been in all of the III era GTAs.

I'll replace is it with a more pertinent one - The Rhino.

The point I'm making is that there a number of staple GTA features that were not in IV, which, in my opinion, stopped it from being the ultimate GTA that it could have been.

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:11 PM Edited by 0909090, 23 October 2012 - 04:17 PM.

Just a minor thing- assets are present in LCS as well+ quite a lot things which you listed are present in stories.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Linki @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 05:15)
Taken from: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=361301

The thing with those Linki, is there well, biased. I'm trying to look objectively at the features that were not featured. Plus they were written a long time before the dust settled on IV.

A noticeably more mature and well thought out level of writing, no seriously.
- this is not a"feature" but an approach to storytelling. One however, I agree with. Be that as it may, its not objective.

Plus silencers on pistols were only introduced in San Andreas - hence I'm not including them here.

I'm trying to make a double point:

To the IV fans - those who criticise IV are not SA fanboys - just GTA fanboys.

To the SA fans - life existed before SA, as did many of its features in previous incarnations.

Senex Iunior
  • Senex Iunior

Living in Vice Point since 2002

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

http://www.gtaforums...pic=515102&st=0

Plenty of those "features" shouldn't have been in IV.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (Senex Iunior @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 18:19)
http://www.gtaforums...pic=515102&st=0

Plenty of those "features" shouldn't have been in IV.

*Sigh*. Once again, this is not about the features of San Andreas. I am trying to illustrate that many of these features predate SA.

Of course to some people on this forum the only games that exist are SA and IV.

Senex Iunior
  • Senex Iunior

Living in Vice Point since 2002

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Regardless of what game they're in, a ton of those "features" sucked and are poor, poor arguments against the quality of GTA IV.

DaWiesel
  • DaWiesel

Soldier

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

A bunch of "features" that GTA IV doesn't need to be my favourite GTA game. Quality over quantity anytime.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (DaWiesel @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 19:13)
A bunch of "features" that GTA IV doesn't need to be my favourite GTA game. Quality over quantity anytime.

Ok that is fair enough. Perhaps I should not have labelled this a 'critique' of GTA IV. We each have our opinions. I love GTA IV but just feel it could have been so much better with the staple features of previous incarnations. Each to their own of course.

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (PaddsterG2k3 @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 21:15)
QUOTE (DaWiesel @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 19:13)

Ok that is fair enough. Perhaps I should not have labelled this a 'critique' of GTA IV. We each have our opinions. I love GTA IV but just feel it could have been so much better with the staple features of previous incarnations. Each to their own of course.

Hey that's fair enough. I understand what you're doing.

Personally, I think GTA4 is the ultimate GTA. That's just my opinion, and I understand why it's not popular.

Soon enough, however, GTA5 will become everyone's "ultimate GTA" and that's something to be excited about.

ZoomZoom
  • ZoomZoom

Banned on request

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

No dual wielding weapons: available in San Andreas

No asset businesses

No Rhino

No military

No drivable planes: available in San Andreas

No vehicle side missions: SA, VC, III

No restricted army base: Area 69

No weapon skill and vehicle skill

No RC vehicles

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Now let's make a list of things that were present in IV and not in previous GTA's

-Cover-system

-Live or die-choices

-Friend activities

-HD graphics

-Realistic Wanted system (not being able to use Pray 'n' Spray if cops see you enter)

-Execution methods

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE (DaWiesel @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 14:13)

What exactly is the "quality" you are referring to here? Accurate Bowling Physics? GTA4 is rife with glitches. It's a flat out boring game after the story is finished. It had features stripped from it so it could be resold as DLC.

I cannot wait until GTA5 comes out, and GTA4 becomes a minor footnote in the history of GTA as the most rushed, weakest game of the series.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • Contribution Award [Chain Game]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (Zee @ Sunday, Oct 28 2012, 07:36)

What exactly is the "quality" you are referring to here? Accurate Bowling Physics? GTA4 is rife with glitches. It's a flat out boring game after the story is finished. It had features stripped from it so it could be resold as DLC.

I cannot wait until GTA5 comes out, and GTA4 becomes a minor footnote in the history of GTA as the most rushed, weakest game of the series.

I wouldn't consider GTA 4 as a failure, only an inferior game in terms of features. The game is good IMO, and I think it was only a "test" for R* to see how good is the RAGE engine.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

Your forgetting that assets and businesses were also featured in VCS.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The creature that could this doesn't have a soul

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (Zee @ Sunday, Oct 28 2012, 15:36)

Yes. This minor footnote is only the most technologically advanced GTA which at the time recieved overwhelming critical acclaim and set new sales records. It's also the foundation for GTA V so when you're playing it some time in the next year think back to GTA IV and how none of it would've been possible without GTA IV's foundation.

Your selective memory doesn't dictate GTA IV's status in history.

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE (Zee @ Sunday, Oct 28 2012, 04:36)

What exactly is the "quality" you are referring to here?

I think he's referring to the most rich, detailed, well-thought and focused GTA in existence right now - Grand Theft Auto IV.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The creature that could this doesn't have a soul

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (Linki @ Sunday, Oct 28 2012, 18:37)
QUOTE (Zee @ Sunday, Oct 28 2012, 04:36)

What exactly is the "quality" you are referring to here?

I think he's referring to the most rich, detailed, well-thought and focused GTA in existence right now - Grand Theft Auto IV.

icon14.gif

The man speaks the truth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users