Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will GTAV use same facial tech as LA Noire?

52 replies to this topic
The-Edgar
  • The-Edgar

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

So i just registered here in this forum some minutes ago.

There is Something about GTAV that could be possible, if you look at the following sources...

At first, when you look at the the Protagonist of the coming game, you will recognize that he is looking very similar to Ned Luke.
Rockstargames didn't released official information about that, but there are going a few rumors around which want to prove that:

user posted image

1. It seems like 'Albert' is based on Ned Luke

Ned Luke's Voice

2. The Voices of the Speech in the Trailer sounds very similar to Ned Luke's Voice. (There was a better video i found here in the forum a few weeks ago, but i can't find it again
so i will post it here again, till i find the better version of the 'Voice Proof')

So, what brought me here to make this topic?

L.A NOIRE Technology Series

It is this video.
If you look how amazing the 'Face Capture' works in L.A NOIRE, could it be, that it will return in GTAV?

At first you see in the video, that every Actor speak and also are models for the L.A NOIRE Characters.
To make this Technology work, every Character is based on one of the Actors. Not only for the Look, also for their Voice. To make it feel very realistic, you know?
So returning to the rumor that Ned Luke is speaking and is also a model for 'Albert' could this awesome technology for detailed cutscenes return in GTAV?

What are your thoughts?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Yes they could use the technology from L.A Noire, however i think it unlikely, it's very expensive and it's not really necessary, L.A Noire's facial expressions were good, but the graphics aren't really good enough yet to make it that worthwhile compared to classic animations.
Then again it might not be that expensive if R* have all the equipment and software already set-up.

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yeah.. it's possible. But I don't think it would fit very well to a GTA. The technology was mainly used because of regnocizing the facial structures on a interrogation and that played a big role in LA Noire.

Also that has already been discussed before.. long time ago.

PS: Welcome here.

MosquitoSmasher
  • MosquitoSmasher

Moonwalker like MJ

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

I hope not. It was fine in GTA IV, RDR and MP3 and it doesn't need to be 'ultra realistic' like LA Noire. It's not the kind of game for it.

JaggySnake
  • JaggySnake

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

It's easy to make a character look like someone in real life. I believe LA Noire was just capturing the facial motions of the actors to make the in game characters more real.

It could work and I think games will implement this as they become more realistic but LA Noire only really had it because you had to guess if they were telling the truth or not and to do that you need to read the emotions on peoples faces. That isn't something you can do too well with video game characters.

We don't really need it in V but I think it will be included in a future game as technology improves and gets cheaper.

Cameron
  • Cameron

💯

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

I think V should use it to improve the out-of-cutscene face animations.

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

welcome to the forum, but I doubt they're gonna incorporate Motion Scan, with the scale of this game what it's rumored to be, the disc quantity on the Xbox 360 will be massive, LA Noire was 3 discs, and tbh, wasn't all that big, with GTA V claimed to be the largest game yet, Rockstar are gonna have a challenge fitting it all on to one disc, using Motion Scan for the cutscenes and main characters would make it even harder.

JaggySnake
  • JaggySnake

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (Killjoy2022 @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 12:57)
welcome to the forum, but I doubt they're gonna incorporate Motion Scan, with the scale of this game what it's rumored to be, the disc quantity on the Xbox 360 will be massive, LA Noire was 3 discs, and tbh, wasn't all that big, with GTA V claimed to be the largest game yet, Rockstar are gonna have a challenge fitting it all on to one disc, using Motion Scan for the cutscenes and main characters would make it even harder.

Dual Layer Blu Ray discs are 50GB capacity. If they were to add this technology into V I think it may force the PS3 version to have multiple discs!

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:59 AM Edited by simonp92, 19 October 2012 - 12:03 PM.

The animations of the trailer doesnt look like they're using the tech from L.a Noire. They looks better than GTA IV, but not that much.

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (JaggySnake @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 11:59)

Not familiar with BR disc capacity but if they were to add it in the game it might force the PS3 versions to have multiple discs too!

PS3's allow a mandatory install, GTA IV had one, RDR had one, I'm not certain about LA Noire or Max Payne 3, they could compress it a hell of a lot on a BR disc and have it install a fair few gigabytes of data onto the hard drive.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Freezer89 @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 11:50)
Yeah.. it's possible. But I don't think it would fit very well to a GTA. The technology was mainly used because of recognizing the facial structures on a interrogation and that played a big role in LA Noire.

I agree, it just doesn't feel like it's a feature that would be applicable or suitable to GTA. Also as finn pointed out, the graphics aren't exactly matching the level of the animations.

However it is something to be considered using in R*'s next gen games.

JaggySnake
  • JaggySnake

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Killjoy2022 @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 13:01)

Not familiar with BR disc capacity but if they were to add it in the game it might force the PS3 versions to have multiple discs too!

PS3's allow a mandatory install, GTA IV had one, RDR had one, I'm not certain about LA Noire or Max Payne 3, they could compress it a hell of a lot on a BR disc and have it install a fair few gigabytes of data onto the hard drive.

Forgot about that. True, they could.

I don't really want this motion stuff in it. I don't think it's needed for V but if were included I wouldn't mind.

I'd rather have 1 disc without it than 2 discs with it.

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (JaggySnake @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 12:03)

I don't really want this motion stuff in it. I don't think it's needed for V but if were included I wouldn't mind.

I'd much rather have it on one disc for both consoles, it'll be on 3 or more for PC. Gran Turismo installed nearly 20gb of content on the PS3 hard drive (including patches), so there's really no knowing how much Rockstar could decide to install. But if they chose to do that, then I feel sorry for the Xbox 360 users, they'd need 3 or 4 discs for the amount of content.

The-Edgar
  • The-Edgar

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

hmm... everyone in here has a good argument.
L.A Noire really needed this technology to make the idea of the 'Lie or truth' concept work.
GTAV is based on much different things.

But i hope they will implement experiences from their other games (L.A Noire , max payne 3, red dead redemtion)
i mean, it would suck if it's: GTAIV with a bigger Map.

I know that this technology could make a Dual disc release for the consoles.
But it would be better in the end, when Rockstar says that they are releasing it on more discs.
Imagine they will cut out something of their Game only because they want it on a Single Disc.
Untill they release the rest as a DLC tounge.gif

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (The-Edgar @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 12:15)
hmm... everyone in here has a good argument.
L.A Noire really needed this technology to make the idea of the 'Lie or truth' concept work.
GTAV is based on much different things.

But i hope they will implement experiences from their other games (L.A Noire , max payne 3, red dead redemtion)
i mean, it would suck if it's: GTAIV with a bigger Map.

I know that this technology could make a Dual disc release for the consoles.
But it would be better in the end, when Rockstar says that they are releasing it on more discs.
Imagine they will cut out something of their Game only because they want it on a Single Disc.
Untill they release the rest as a DLC  tounge.gif

you can be confident they'd rather go over multiple discs than cut content for extra money. and you can be confident it wont just be GTA IV with a bigger map, IF it's this generations San Andreas you can expect a lot more than a copy and paste of IV with a larger map and flyable planes.

Shreddy Krueger
  • Shreddy Krueger

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

I don't think they would. To me, the "Ned Luke" character looks to have the same detail as Max Payne, give or take a little bit. And I don't believe MP3 used the same facial recognition tech as LA Noire.

mickawes
  • mickawes

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (Killjoy2022 @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 13:05)

I'd much rather have it on one disc for both consoles, it'll be on 3 or more for PC. Gran Turismo installed nearly 20gb of content on the PS3 hard drive (including patches), so there's really no knowing how much Rockstar could decide to install. But if they chose to do that, then I feel sorry for the Xbox 360 users, they'd need 3 or 4 discs for the amount of content.

You feel sorry for what ??
Having to get up every 8 hours of playing ???
Come on, it s not a (max) pain in the ass.

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (mickawes @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 12:24)

I feel sorry in case one of the discs break, when I played LA Noire on Xbox 360, the second disc broke so I was literally f*cked until I could get it replaced.

mickawes
  • mickawes

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Killjoy2022 @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 13:25)

I feel sorry in case one of the discs break, when I played LA Noire on Xbox 360, the second disc broke so I was literally f*cked until I could get it replaced.

Well it could happened with only one disc lol

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (mickawes @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 12:31)
QUOTE (Killjoy2022 @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 13:25)

Well it could happened with only one disc lol

true but with a game as massive as GTA V will undoubtedly be sales wise, they could be waiting for a long time for the replacement disc.

Turbojohn
  • Turbojohn

Hustler

• Members

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

You can notice a certain pattern on the faces in L.A. Noire, they don't look like the normal faces in GTA.
Since GTA V doesn't seem to have that same pattern, I'm pretty sure it's not using that technology

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (The-Edgar @ Friday, Oct 19 2012, 11:43)

At first, when you look at the the Protagonist of the coming game, you will recognize that he is looking very similar to Ned Luke.

That old man is not the player character. sarcasm.gif

Last i checked, its not called Grand Theft Wheelchair either.

The-Edgar
  • The-Edgar

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Saturday, Oct 20 2012, 01:24)

Sorry for my bad english.

I wanted to say that the Character LOOKS very similar to Ned Luke

I Luke
  • I Luke

UGHH..

• Members

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

I think V will have multiple disks, but you won't have to play the other for content.

Think to Forza Motorsport 3. That had 2 disks, 1 one was the main disk and the other was just a content installation disk that saves to your console.
I think V will be exactly the same.

Or it will be like Battlefield 3.
One disk for campaign, other for multiplayer.

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

I found the LA Noire facial animations to be weird. I liked it how it was in IV. I wouldn't want the characters to be too realistic looking and be a little animated looking.

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Saturday, Oct 20 2012, 01:24)

did you play the episodes? he looks about 5 years older than Johnny.

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

Just one of those days...

• Members

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (I Luke @ Saturday, Oct 20 2012, 19:08)
I think V will have multiple disks, but you won't have to play the other for content.

Think to Forza Motorsport 3. That had 2 disks, 1 one was the main disk and the other was just a content installation disk that saves to your console.
I think V will be exactly the same.

Or it will be like Battlefield 3.
One disk for campaign, other for multiplayer.

The thing with Forza is the second disc was optional. GTA wouldn't have that. And with Battlefield, they used different maps for multiplayer than singleplayer. GTA uses the same maps for both so that wouldn't work either. The maps would still have to be on both discs.

IF GTA V uses multiple discs, the only difference between the discs would be the missions available on the disc. The entire map, soundtrack, peds, sidemissions, textures, models, etc would have to be on both discs. Certain cutscene models, mission exclusive peds, mission scripts, mission exclusive interiors, and mission audio would be different.

Johnny_Cash1983
  • Johnny_Cash1983

CopKilla

• Members

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

No it shouldn't be in the game. Why? well because they look like retards when they talk and when someone is pissed of, it looks like they are smiling.

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

The detail of Ned Luke's face means they scanned his face, but it doesn't mean they MotionScanned his face. They just did a one-time scan to copy his head to be the character model, but it still has to be animated, and that was probably done with the ImageMetrics process similar to Max Payne 3.

If you look at ImageMetrics' site, they put a number on how detailed they were in each game, and it gets more detailed over the years. They can track more points of motion on a face, and if that motion is attached to a model that was based on the actor's face, it's going to match up pretty well and look a lot like how the actor actually moves their own face.

Emergency_Room
  • Emergency_Room

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

At this point it is not needed and would be a massive waste of disc space and also money. The Xbox 360 Version of LA Noire originally took up six discs and had to be compressed in order to fit on three. If GTA V had MotionScan it would either have to be a PS3 exclusive or Xbox 360 users would have about 10 discs or so. Neither of which seem that practical for something not needed in the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users