Photo

Something about the Ned Luke guy

35 replies to this topic
TOMAHAWKS
  • TOMAHAWKS

Brimstone Quick-draw Champion

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

So the white guy in the GTA V trailer states that he bought a big house, got married, decided to be a dad like all the other dads. What would be the point of his story? The guy is obviously rich before the game takes place and Rockstar already said that Grand Theft Auto 5 will be a story of chasing the "almighty dollar" just like every other GTA. Why would we be using someone that is already rich and lives in a mansion with a wife and child? The only way I could see that working is if he starts out rich and something terrible happens and he has to restart his life from scratch. Other than that, I'm hoping we aren't using some rich guy...

My point; What's your take on this? Do you disagree and want to start off wealthy?

Los Santos citizen
  • Los Santos citizen

The Author Of The Journals

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

He didn't say he had children

MosquitoSmasher
  • MosquitoSmasher

Moonwalker like MJ

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

He clearly says 'Well...you know how it goes' implying that none of the good things he wanted happened. Or that they did happen but he messed up...either way, he's not living that life.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

I was thinking the same thing, you start out with a decent life.
You aren't rich, but you do begin with a house and a moderate amount of money but you need more money and you start building on what you have to create a bit of an empire.

I am tired of starting out as a bum, this is a welcome change, and it was getting kinda cliche anyway. The other Grand theft Auto's were good once you started earning some money and achieved a little that you could actually grasp, i'm talking about material belongings: Houses, businesses, friends, money.
That was one of the things i hated with IV, you did all the hard-yards and had nothing physical to show for it, sure Niko did what he aimed to achieve through the story, but i want something more tangible.

bowling...?
  • bowling...?

Turkey

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

I remember long before the first trailer, IGN made a post about a list of characters possibly for GTA V. The characters sounded like Californians. There was one character that was said to be the son of one of the characters. So I think the main character might have a son.

.dre.
  • .dre.

reminder 6/12

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

I have a feeling that whatever he did in the past will come back to bite him in the ass. Either that or temptation strikes.

TOMAHAWKS
  • TOMAHAWKS

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (Los Santos citizen @ Monday, Oct 8 2012, 02:20)

He said something of the sort.
"So, I bougth a big house.
Came here, feet up.
Though I'd be a dad like all the other dads.
My kids... Would be like the ones on TV."

He clearly says 'Well...you know how it goes' implying that none of the good things he wanted happened. Or that they did happen but he messed up...either way, he's not living that life.

"I wanted to retire from what I was doing... That... That line of work."
He didn't just say he wanted to do all of those things. He said he DID all of those things. The "you know how it is" means that he did fall back into his old line of work.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:42 AM

If he is the main character, I'd have to assume that he either went bankrupt to do some debt, or he got screwed over by what he did in the past.

I Shot The Sheriff
  • I Shot The Sheriff

Yippie-kay-yay, motherf*cker!

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

That's exactly the same thing I've thought since the trailer got released... according to what "the voice" says, it just has to be that way.

soundbomber
  • soundbomber

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (TOMAHAWKS @ Monday, Oct 8 2012, 02:29)

He said something of the sort.
"So, I bougth a big house.
Came here, feet up.
Though I'd be a dad like all the other dads.
My kids... Would be like the ones on TV."

"I wanted to retire from what I was doing... That... That line of work."
He didn't just say he wanted to do all of those things. He said he DID all of those things. The "you know how it is" means that he did fall back into his old line of work.

what I got from the trailer was that they left it sort of ambiguous. he didn't say for sure that he had kids as WOULD is hypothetical. I think he probably has a kid (or two) but since he's old they're in their 20s and are in his "line of work" with him

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Since this is somewhat on the topic on something I've been thinking about since rewatching the first Red Dead Redemption trailer.

Let's say you didn't know who the main character was at the point which this trailer came out. Yes, it's obviously the cowboy who's the protagonist, but what about the voice over? That could be the voice of the protagonist explaining his past life. Yes, it turned out to be dialogue from a minor character, but it could just as well have been the voice of the protagonist.

What if the same thing is the case in GTA V?
What if we're actully hearing a mission-giver explaining his life in LS to the protagonist?

There's some evidence which talks against my theory though.
- The voice is Ned Luke's, and a close-up is made on a guy who's obviously modelled after Luke.
- ^Take that with the screenshot of the Hydra, which is obviously pilotted by this character modelled after Luke- Having a supporting character pilot a Hydra might be a little weird.

This isn't my way of saying Ned Luke is not the protagonist. I'm just saying at this point we still don't know for sure.

Kipsta77
  • Kipsta77

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (MosquitoSmasher @ Monday, Oct 8 2012, 12:21)

Exactly! icon14.gif After he said that, everything he said before was just a thought to him.

Raavi
  • Raavi

That's another cook

• None
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (TOMAHAWKS @ Sunday, Oct 7 2012, 19:15)
So the white guy in the GTA V trailer states that he bought a big house, got married, decided to be a dad like all the other dads. What would be the point of his story? The guy is obviously rich before the game takes place and Rockstar already said that Grand Theft Auto 5 will be a story of chasing the "almighty dollar" just like every other GTA. Why would we be using someone that is already rich and lives in a mansion with a wife and child? The only way I could see that working is if he starts out rich and something terrible happens and he has to restart his life from scratch. Other than that, I'm hoping we aren't using some rich guy...

My point; What's your take on this? Do you disagree and want to start off wealthy?

My friend he might be a millionaire but there is always more (billionaire)

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Something obviously goes wrong which is why he says "you know how it is".

Think of some of the old school games like metroid where you start off powerful with all the upgrades and power ups but then something bad happens and your weak again. I think Ned Luke's character will go through something similar.

For example maybe the first mission could be a tour of your big house then you drive to the bank in your expensive cheetah to sort some things out only to find you're bankrupt and the money displayed at the top right corner of the screen drains to 0.

EnchantedX360
  • EnchantedX360

You're welcome

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Are we even 100% certain it is Ned Luke voicing the guy in trailer #1?

100% certain mean without a doubt in the world!

Dragonjack
  • Dragonjack

Moving on to a new account.

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

"That line of work" I'm really curious about this one actually. But for some reason that Ned luke guy doesn't really FEEL like his actually the protagonist in that game in my opinion and his a family man type of person as well. He said this one in the GTAV trailer...

"I wanted to retire. From what I was doing, you know? From that, that... line of work. Be a good guy for once, a family man. So, I bought a big house. Came here, put my feet up, and thought I be a dad like all the other dads. My kids, would be like the kids on TV. We could play ball and sit in the sun. But well, you know how it is. "

This protagonist is most definitely a postive type of person and a good person indeed. Niko bellic in the other hand is much more different than that Ned luke guy..

ElSanto
  • ElSanto

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (Dragonjack @ Monday, Oct 8 2012, 10:19)
"That line of work" I'm really curious about this one actually. But for some reason that Ned luke guy doesn't really FEEL like his actually the protagonist in that game in my opinion and his a family man type of person as well. He said this one in the GTAV trailer...

"I wanted to retire. From what I was doing, you know? From that, that... line of work. Be a good guy for once, a family man. So, I bought a big house. Came here, put my feet up, and thought I be a dad like all the other dads. My kids, would be like the kids on TV. We could play ball and sit in the sun. But well, you know how it is. "

This protagonist is most definitely a postive type of person and a good person indeed. Niko bellic in the other hand is much more different than that Ned luke guy..

I'm guessing that he's an ex mobster who gets dragged back into it as he says, "well you know how it is"

GreatestEver23
  • GreatestEver23

So you think you can tell, heaven from hell?

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

"be a dad like all the other dads" you can't be a dad without children...

Lewligan
  • Lewligan

Bell End

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (GreatestEver23 @ Monday, Oct 8 2012, 13:54)

"be a dad like all the other dads" you can't be a dad without children...

Is he not basically saying that's what he planned to do?
I might be wrong.. not seen the trailer for a while.

But ye, if he's saying he planned on being a dad then there's nothing there to say that he actually has kids.

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (EnchantedX360 @ Monday, Oct 8 2012, 12:11)
Are we even 100% certain it is Ned Luke voicing the guy in trailer #1?

100% certain mean without a doubt in the world!

Are we 100% certain he is the protagonist (or one of)?

And he said "my kids would..". Implying "would" mean that he is planning to have kids and he will be a dad.
But I don't know either..

ElSanto
  • ElSanto

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

He also says you see it in the movies could he be referring to one of those mafia films? (godfather, goodfellas e.t.c)

KillinFr3nzy NL
  • KillinFr3nzy NL

Best GTA Driver

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:04 PM Edited by Smaaske, 08 October 2012 - 02:07 PM.

Of course he didnīt, but if he says he wants to be a dad like all the other dads that means heīs a father.

Exactly, I hope we wonīt start as a rich man, I hope something terrible happens to him, kippnaped his wife or kill her and his child and lose all his money and he needs to restart and makes revenge or something, just like Max Payne did, when his wife Michelle died and his son/daughter.

mats1880
  • mats1880

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

He was poor, decided to go into the criminal way, became rich and wanted to stop with the criminal activities. But well, you know how it is.. once a criminal, always a criminal

TOMAHAWKS
  • TOMAHAWKS

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Since this is somewhat on the topic on something I've been thinking about since rewatching the first Red Dead Redemption trailer.

Let's say you didn't know who the main character was at the point which this trailer came out. Yes, it's obviously the cowboy who's the protagonist, but what about the voice over? That could be the voice of the protagonist explaining his past life. Yes, it turned out to be dialogue from a minor character, but it could just as well have been the voice of the protagonist.

What if the same thing is the case in GTA V?
What if we're actully hearing a mission-giver explaining his life in LS to the protagonist?

There's some evidence which talks against my theory though.
- The voice is Ned Luke's, and a close-up is made on a guy who's obviously modelled after Luke.
- ^Take that with the screenshot of the Hydra, which is obviously pilotted by this character modelled after Luke- Having a supporting character pilot a Hydra might be a little weird.

This isn't my way of saying Ned Luke is not the protagonist. I'm just saying at this point we still don't know for sure.

I was thinking the SAME EXACT thing. We still don't know who the protagonist is. I'm certain that we will know after the 2nd trailer.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

The trailer voice-over never specifically said he HAD kids, but rather explained his intentions, whether he has or hasn't.

If he (hopefully) turns out to be our protag, then I hope (believe) he does have a few offspring as it would be a great spin and something new to GTA. The father/son activities in RDR were a nice little element of the story. Why couldn't we implement this with V?

But then again we still have kids in here who say pathetic sh*t like...."I don't want to play as my dad".

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

I think it'll either be the case that:

He'll have a family home, with this family around, like in RDR. However something happens to drag him back into 'the life'.

Or - he never had kids, and has become dragged back into the life.

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

educated, dedicated, underestimated

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:00 PM Edited by mvega0422, 08 October 2012 - 10:09 PM.

It can be interpreted two ways -

"My kids, the kids I have, would have been like the kids on TV, but they weren't."
"My kids would be like the kids on TV if they existed."

(I'd consider myself pretty well-studied on the English language - several of my pieces have been published - and I consider Ned's statement to be EXTREMELY ambiguous.)

"But, eh, you know how it is" - this statement is a direct appeal to emotion using well-known slang meaning, "I need not say more, because you can accurately picture how things could have went wrong." ...even though we can't picture what went wrong, because we were given such little contextual clues. This line is Rockstar's "get out of jail free card." By telling the audience "you know how it is" and moving on, they have flawlessly diverted all attention away from the subject.

They wrote this piece of the script very, very carefully, and presented it to the audience even more carefully. They truly did a great job on this small monologue; oftentimes, I show it to my family and friends because of the way they were able to set the mood and leave the listener in such suspense.

TL;DR - it is nearly impossible to determine Ned Luke's character's background because of how perfectly ambiguous his statements are. We've done all we can and will know nothing more until R* decides to release details.

peanutbutterlover
  • peanutbutterlover

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

there's one thing for sure - he's not hispanic either black.

EverBlazin
  • EverBlazin

Peon

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

Makes me think you start in the middle, and based on choices you make, you can rise up or move down.

RussianFreak
  • RussianFreak

Russian Patriot, PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (Dragonjack @ Monday, Oct 8 2012, 10:19)

I thought that Niko was a positive person at heart, though. Sure he'll go out to do what has to be done, but he was avenging innocent people that were killed. He apologizes constantly when he hits people and sometimes expresses sadness over the cops he kills. I think that doing what must be done on the outside doesn't mean you're a bad guy on the inside.

OT: The one thing I'm not sure about with this Ned Luke guy is why pick an old guy to be the protagonist. Most admirable protagonists are fit, young, and, well...young. I mean sure, Niko looked like he was 35 as well but this guy looks to be even older. Don't get me wrong, I'd be psyched to play as a Michael Rooker kinda guy, but I don't think that's GTA style either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users