Food/Restaurant Glitch?

19 replies to this topic
Krawk
  • Krawk

Prankster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

I think I may have discovered a new glitch. When you enter restaurants there is no marker to enter at the counter so you never get served. No I did not aim a weapon at anyone in the restaurant.
I went back a few saves and was able to eat once, but reentering the restaurant the marker was not there. I tried a reload again, this time CJ puked when he ate, despite not eating for several days, then the marker disappeared. I went back about 6 more missions of saves, the problem is not there but I am wondering if there is a cumulative effect, so completing the same missions again will reintroduce the glitch.
I have not done anything different this go round than before except forcibly park the comprehensive-proof packer from "Just Business" into the Verdant Meadows Hangar.

SA PC, V 1.0, No Mods, Original Game, only cheats that were used were blow up all cars. I also applied the Traffic Glitch fix upon entering the SF portion of the game as this is usually where the effects start to show. I tried visiting hmvartak's site to see if his tools or his traffic glitch fix might reset a related variable, but his site appears to be down.

Download Link Here

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

Anytime you modify the game you can expect something to go wrong.
Modify in this situation includes cheats, 'forcibly park the comprehensive-proof packer'.
You also have an incredable amount of money.
AND, as you said,CJ can't eat.

When I loaded the save it was titled, "Ya-Ka-Boom, Boom". You were saved in Blueberry.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:37 AM Edited by OrionSR, 08 October 2012 - 05:57 PM.

I think I found the problem.

As best I can tell, the junk food script records when CJ starts to eat ($5285), compares this number to the current time, and if more than 3 minutes has passed then the variables are reset. If CJ eats more than 11 meals ($TOTAL_FOOD_EATEN, $674) within this time limit then he pukes and the little red sphere is disabled until the time limit has passed.

I think where you got into trouble was resetting the timer variables with the traffic fix. The game thinks that CJ started to eat a long time in the future. This is something that really should be fixed in the repair tools, but I suspect we are beyond that now. Maybe waiting 3 minutes (3 game hours) and entering and exiting a fast food joint before applying the traffic fix will avoid this problem. see notes below

But for now, I patched your save with a cleo script and an extra save.

For: Krawk
Missions: Yay Ka-Boom-Boom
Helper:OrionSR
Link: http://gtasnp.com/33641
Notes: Set global variable $5285 = 0
Repaired

I went back a few saves and was able to eat once, but reentering the restaurant the marker was not there. I tried a reload again, this time CJ puked when he ate, despite not eating for several days, then the marker disappeared. I went back about 6 more missions of saves, the problem is not there but I am wondering if there is a cumulative effect, so completing the same missions again will reintroduce the glitch.

For the record, this information was critical for figuring out the root cause of the problem. At first I reset the total food eaten variable and the spheres returned. But that wouldn't fix anything that might be cumulative, so I kept digging until I found the funkfood timer ($674).

BTW, GTA SA Savegame Editor v3.1.2 by Paul Breeuwsma has a Traffic Fix tool. IIRC, paultjuh consulted with hmvartak on this fix so they probably have the same strengths, and this new weakness.

I feel somewhat responsible for this glitch. The only known way to fix the traffic glitch is to reset the global timer. But if that value is changed then, well, I never counted but... a couple thousand, probably, other variables must also be reset to keep the save working normally. I've been the lead investigator for figuring out and documenting what needs to be changed so the programers can create a proper tool. This junk food timer is not something I had anticipated. I'm fairly confident that I found all the timers in other structures of the save, but I would not be surprised if other timers were hidden somewhere in the scripts. So keep an eye out; girlfriend calls, maybe. What else makes CJ wait for a while?

I took another look at the section of code that checks to see how long it has been since CJ started eating. The codes appear to be run near the top of the "main" loop, so entering another junk food joint won't help, and it might even hurt. I'm still not sure if saving twice will added enough time (6 game hours) or if waiting 3 minutes for 3 game hours to tick off the clock is required for the relevant variables to be reset.

Any chance I can talk you into replicating my results?

Recreate the condition for the glitch by quickly saving after eating 8 meals. Keep this pre-patched save.

Run the traffic fix to reset the timers. CJ should be able to eat 3 meals before getting sick, and after that the little red spheres will disappear and nothing will bring them back.

Cannot avoid the glitch by loading the pre-patched save and saving again before running the traffic fix.

Avoid the glitch by loading the pre-patched save and waiting 3 minutes/game hours before saving and traffic fixing,

hmvartak
  • hmvartak

Thug

• Members
  • India

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

AFAIK, timers decrement by 6 mins(in game 6 hrs) per game save. People when patch their saves for traffic glitch, have timers value upto real life 150 hrs. So they will need to save their save for 1500 times to reset their timers.
  • Kennethmt likes this

Krawk
  • Krawk

Prankster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:52 PM Edited by Krawk, 09 October 2012 - 12:18 AM.

Many thanks on the replies and actions - yes I was using Paul's built in glitch repair instead of hmvartak's. I originally convinced Paul to make the fix because websites don't last forever but programs should.

Weasel: I was saved in Blueberry because the next move was to eat more food, save a couple times, then go finish Trucking then to Beat the Cock.. Saving in LS might lose progress with Denise, so Blueberry is the next closest spot. Palomino Creek's garage door opens when you save there and risk losing a car in the garage. I like to finish all the extras once territory is opened up.
All that money was earned at OTB, no cheats. Adjusting variables in the handling file to park the Packer do not have permanent effects on the game, let's just call it a ghost car.

Cheats I forgot to mention, I guess I would have had to do the energy cheat and flying cars too to get the Packer to begin with : ^ - but once again, not dangerous cheats as far as affecting the stability of the game itself.

I had played the game through a few times and always used the traffic glitch fix upon entering SF. You really notice the morphing/teleporting cars in front of Zero's RC shop so it's just standard practice to do it now.

Looking at this save, post traffic glitch patch still, the problem does not seem present but I have not played it through again to see if it returns.

I did rerun the traffic fix (Paul's - as I mentioned, hmvartak's page was down and I was seeing if his caught something Paul's did not. When Paul created his, he said he worked with hmvartak but he had a few other, better fixes as well) - anyway- it did not fix the issue.

New Model Army

OrionSR, are you saying you have to Set global variable $5285 = 0 and $674 = 0 as well? Or would one integrate those two variables into the traffix fix? I could nicely ask Paul to integrate those two variables if that is it. I appreciate you and the work you're doing.

The creation of this issue too, I don't think any restaurant meals were eaten since New Model Army. Maybe a trip or two to the Hot Dog vendor to regain health.

What do you need me to do to try to recreate the problem since I had never seen it before?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:51 AM Edited by OrionSR, 09 October 2012 - 05:48 PM.

I'll update the glitch documentation topic once we've got a good handle on this, in the meantime I'll post a few technical details for the programers.

If CJ has not eaten recently ($672 == 0) then no changes are required.

Simplest: Set $5285 = 0

CJ will need to wait 3 game hours before the rest of the variables get reset by the main script and he can eat his fill again.

Thorough: The variables that get reset if the current time ($5284) - the junkfood timer ($5285) is greater than 180000 ms are:

$672 = 0 // eaten recently
$674 = 0 // $TOTAL_FOOD_EATEN
$5283 = 0 // = current time ($5284) -= the junkfood timer ($5285)
$10045 = 0 // warned that eating more will make CJ ill (?)

The junkfood timer ($5285) should get reset to the current time the next time CJ eats, so there is no need to change it once $672 == 0, but it wouldn't hurt either. The current time ($5284) is constantly updated in main, so may as well leave it alone.

You cannot buy any more food at the moment, you will be unwell!
^Let me know if you figure out how to get this text message to appear.

This is the snippet of code we are working with:
CODE
01BD: $5284 = current_time_in_ms
if
†$672 == 1
jf @MAIN_4193
0084: $5283 = $5284 // (int)
0060: $5283 -= $5285 // (int)
if
†$5283 >= 180000
jf @MAIN_4193
$672 = 0
$TOTAL_FOOD_EATEN = 0
$5283 = 0
$10045 = 0

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Krawk @ Monday, Oct 8 2012, 15:52)
What do you need me to do to try to recreate the problem since I had never seen it before?

I'll risk a double post so I can avoid mixing this discussion with the coding details in my previous post.

Start by moving all your saves someplace else to free up your slots for this test. You don't really need to do this but I think it will help with the instruction format.

Slot 1: Unglitched Save

Identify a save with fast food joints open that has never had the traffic fix applied. Using a save that is completely unrelated to your glitched saves would increase confidence that we've identified the problem. Copy the save to slot 1.

Load slot 1, wait 3 game hours, and save again in slot 1. This should assure that CJ has not eaten recently.

Optional: Use the Japanese save editor's Script Tab to examine the eaten recently global variable ($672). If it's equal to 0 then you've got a good save.

Slot 2: Unglitched Fix

Apply the traffic fix to slot 1; save in slot 2. Load slot 2 and eat 10 meals. Wait more than 3 game hours and then if CJ can eat more than 1 meal without puking there is no glitch present.

Slot 3: Eaten Recently

Load slot 1, go to a fast food joint and eat 8 meals. Quickly save the game in slot 3. Quickly return to a fast food joint and eat 4 meals. If CJ pukes then the eaten recently flag is set ( ($672==1). Wait more than 3 game hours and CJ should be able to eat again.

Slot 4: Recreated Glitch

Apply the traffic fix to slot 3 and save in slot 4. Load slot 4 and wait more than 3 game hours. If the glitch is present then CJ should puke when he eats 4 meals and no amount of waiting will let CJ eat again.

Slot 5: Avoid Glitch

Load slot 3. Wait 3 game hours and save in slot 5. This should clear the eaten recently flag.

Slot 6: Avoided and Fixed

Apply the traffic fix to slot 5, save in slot 6. CJ should be able to eat 11 meals without getting ill, and if he waits 3 game hours he should be able to eat 11 more.

Krawk
  • Krawk

Prankster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:49 AM Edited by Krawk, 12 October 2012 - 02:54 AM.

I will give it a whirl and see what happens : ^

I did observe in a glitched save that waiting 3 game hours or 30 game hours makes no difference, the spheres do not reappear.

Also, as you have noticed how far into the game my glitch save is, I think I applied the traffic fix after The Truth's phone call, just prior to Are You Going to San Fierro? - or just after this mission. The glitch did not appear until after the first round of syndicate missions and completing Zero's missions. New Model Army was the save I had to go back to in order to find solid ground. When I tried going back to Mountain Cloud Boys, the glitch showed itself rather soon. Loading New Model Army and probably wasting time, the 3 game hour rule (??) all seemed well after doing the missions again.

I did make the mistake once of applying the traffic fix before an important phone call. In which case, the phone never rang. Rather than overcomplicate a traffic fix, just don't do it before a mission phone call!

Regarding the "eating more you will be unwell message" - Would eating too many salads cause this or can you eat salads infinitely?

Could you link me to the Japanese editor again while we're at it?

Krawk
  • Krawk

Prankster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Ok - double posting to differentiate the messages;

The testing you suggested worked as you predicted. Applying the Traffic Fix after recently eaten meals fouls the meals eaten value.
Afterwards, I took a save I thought was good, New Model Army, waited 3+ game hours, went to eat food, on the 7th meal CJ pukes. So, I must have applied the traffic fix after eating a meal. The number of meals eaten ($674) has a cumulative effect and never resets to zero, so when you eventually hit twelve, bleargh. As was already suggested, I would have to advance the game as hmvartak says, 1500 saves, or whatever real time was on the reset. So we all learned something today - do not apply the traffic fix to a save that you have eaten a meal in the last 3 game hours.

So in a nutshell, would a traffix fix also have to make sure $674 and $675 = 0 ?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:36 AM Edited by OrionSR, 12 October 2012 - 08:54 AM.

$675 is not a variable we are concerned with. In a nutshell, if a traffic fix always changed $672 = 0, $674 = 0, $5283 = 0 (shouldn't matter), and $10045 = 0, then the glitch should be prevented.

Damn it, now that I know phone calls can be glitched I feel compelled to look into it.

Update: It looks like your phone call was delayed indefinitely because $CURRENT_TIME_IN_MS ($184) was a long, long time off after a traffic fix. This variable is set to the current time at the end of almost every mission or submission so there will be a short delay (20, sometimes 15 seconds) before a phone call will be received. This variable appears to be used by every phone call script so it might effect mission flow, calls from girlfriends, and those annoying calls from Catalina. It should be possible to fix this glitch by toggling almost any side-mission.

I searched for other variables that are set to the current time. If I ignore local variables, there really aren't all that many global variables that might need to be tweaked. I only found 29 unique variables and 2 arrays of 16. Many of them are in missions and it probably doesn't matter if they are adjusted or not.

The scripts that might have problems after a traffic fix are:

Junk food ($5284, $5285)
Phone calls ($184, $185, $16)
Dancing and Lowrider buttons? ($1047)
Go Go Space Monkey (both arrays and 6 other variables)
Let's Get Ready To Bumble (6 variables)
Kickstart ($8253, $8251)
Smoke's Courier ($8384, $8385)
Airport Travel ($9504, $9505)

Krawk
  • Krawk

Prankster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

I can tell you that Smoke's Courier still worked as it should, like I was saying, I would habitually apply the traffic fix upon entering SF as that is where the problems would begin.
If you have a new game and try to do every single thing you can before starting the first mission, that is quite a bit of time involved. Also when the fix was first issued, and I was dating, the dance scores seemed to stay put.
I am also sure I tried air travel just to see what it's like, it worked too.

Buuuuut - then again, I never ran into the food issue until this go round.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:19 AM

I understand your desire to refresh the timers. The traffic bug is extremely annoying. The documentation mentions 150 hours, but it's a cumulative glitch. If you know what to look for it's noticeable much sooner. At 150 hours the glitch is really bad, and practically impossible to ignore.

Smoke's Courier may have worked as expected for you, but I suspect that the thread wasn't active when you ran the traffic fix, so the timers wouldn't be set to a time way in the future. This one just looks too much like the junk food script, so I'm suspicious. I'm considering fixing a save just after a courier mission, or rejecting the call, to see if I can glitch it the same way as the junk food script.

Or maybe not. I was looking forward to wrapping up this glitch, but now I've got a method for tracking down potential new glitches. I'm not sure how deeply I want to dig into this; if nobody had a problem so far then there is probably not much to worry about. If I thought there was an impending update to the traffic fix tools then I might be more motivated to get as much as possible figured out.

Krawk
  • Krawk

Prankster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

The food issue is a huge one and I am surprised nobody noticed it before (including myself). If you eat 6 meals and then apply the fix within 3 game hours, it's not hard to get to 12 from that point knowing the 6 only gets bigger and never goes away. I had never eaten more than three LARGE meals in one setting, usually before a big event such as Beat the Cock, and after that point in the game you might randomly eat, but not 3 at a time.

Smoke's Courier missions open up after all four of Catalina's missions are done. The Brady strategy guide lists them as part of SF, which is not entirely accurate. I would traditionally finish Catalina's 4th mission, then advance the clock by saving a few times so that on Monday morning I was outside waiting with a Sanchez and that at 5:00AM the phone rings with the lowdown, at which time of course I snag the Patriot. Then I would complete "Farewell My Love" and "Are You Going to SF?" then apply the traffic fix. The phone calls would continue at the appropriate days. As mentioned, hanging out in the park in Garcia and watching traffic in front of Zero's shop, cars would teleport like crazy, and of course every so often merge together.

Many thanks for your help on the issue smile.gif

Worst comes to worst, I can always use the Japanese editor and zero out those variables, but since the fix is so relatively easy, I suspect hmvartak (and Paul) will be able to incorporate those into the traffic fix.

Krawk
  • Krawk

Prankster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Tuesday, Oct 9 2012, 04:51)

You cannot buy any more food at the moment, you will be unwell!
^Let me know if you figure out how to get this text message to appear.

Ok, so two guesses on this one:

Eat too much salad?

Eat 11 meals then go on a dinner date before the 3 minute timer is expired?

Eat 11 meals and visit a vending machine before the 3 minute timer?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:47 AM Edited by OrionSR, 14 October 2012 - 10:09 AM.

$672 = 0 // eaten recently
$674 = 0 // $TOTAL_FOOD_EATEN
$5283 = 0 // = current time ($5284) -= the junkfood timer ($5285)
$184 = 0 // $CURRENT_TIME_IN_MS (mission cleanup time)

$CURRENT_TIME_IN_MS probably isn't the best name (Sanny's CustomVariables.ini) for this variable. Something like, $MISSION_CLEANUP_TIME might describe it's function a bit more accurately, although I'm not sure all the coders got the memo. Anyway, in case I wasn't clear, I'm recommending that $184 is set to 0 to prevent problems with the phones even though it would be easy to fix in game. The player may not get the memo so may as well make the easy fix.

My best guess for You cannot buy any more food at the moment, you will be unwell! is to eat 11 meals, exit, then enter the circle before it can disappear. I think this message might have been meant for after CJ pukes, but is never displayed because the circles disappear. It's just that I seem to remember reading that message before, but then again I've read the scripts before, so... sorry. I don't remember where I saw it.

Your observations for the Courier missions sound promising. Perhaps I was worried about nothing. I'm having a hard time believing that these other variables are a concern, but I guess I won't rest easy until I take a look at them.

If worse comes to worse I can write a cleo script for you to fix these variables. I'm a big fan of the Japanese Editor as a save reader, but I don't trust it for editing anything I intend to keep.

I ran a few test on these other missions and wasn't able to break them with the traffic fix. It still may be possible that I missed something, but chance are there is nothing to worry about.

Go Go Space Monkey (both arrays and 6 other variables)
Let's Get Ready To Bumble (6 variables)
Kickstart ($8253, $8251)
Smoke's Courier ($8384, $8385)
Airport Travel ($9504, $9505)

paultjuh
  • paultjuh

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

I released a new version of my savegame editor.
This new version also executes the following assigments when fixing the traffic glitch:
CODE
$672 = 0
$674 = 0
$5283 = 0
$10045 = 0
$184 = 0

The complete code that gets executed when clicking on the "Fix traffic glitch" button can be found in the file "java/nl/paulinternet/gtasaveedit/model/GlitchFix.java" inside the source code zip file that can be downloaded from the same page as the editor.

Enjoy!

Krawk
  • Krawk

Prankster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (paultjuh @ Monday, Oct 22 2012, 18:29)
I released a new version of my savegame editor.
This new version also executes the following assigments when fixing the traffic glitch:
CODE
$672 = 0
$674 = 0
$5283 = 0
$10045 = 0
$184 = 0

The complete code that gets executed when clicking on the "Fix traffic glitch" button can be found in the file "java/nl/paulinternet/gtasaveedit/model/GlitchFix.java" inside the source code zip file that can be downloaded from the same page as the editor.

Enjoy!

Mega Thanks as always Paul.

In your release notes you mention an eating problem. It should be noted that $184 affects pending phone calls.

Krawk
  • Krawk

Prankster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have noticed a few more issues but have questions on whether it is a traffic fix variable or just bad timing on the game's behalf. None of them are anything game critical but interesting nonetheless.

On a traffic glitch fixed save (I do not have a non-fixed save for reference) during the mission T-Bone Mendez, when you try to get the Comprehensiveproofed FCR900 after destroying the convoy with a rocket, you notice traffic coming off the Garver bridge from the side that is closed off. The vehicles seem to pass right through the barriers.
The blue car passed through already, the taxi is coming next.

user posted image

And ... while doing the Exports side-mission, I notice that very frequently the railroad crossings will turn on, go half way down, then return back up and shut off. I traditionally would grab the next vehicle, store it in Doherty and the save the game. To deliver I haul ass due South, turn left at the driving school and these are the RR crossings that activate randomly.
Doherty Save RR XING Issue

Also, I have noticed that after the cutscene titled Verdant Meadows, the radio show Area 53 on WCTR, The Truth comes on and talks about how he's been inside, how he's held the aliens, etc. Seems to me this should not queue until AFTER Green Goo as his discussion is directly related to it.

The traffic coming from the bridge and the radio program's timing are probably just scripts opening things up at the wrong time. The RR crossing is probably just one of those quirks, much like cars on any save that appear to switch directions while driving.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

The odd traffic after T-Bone Mendez is a known issue. As I understand it, that mission creates a zone that is restricted to cars and peds near the bikes and van. After the mission it clears the restricted path nodes which overlaps with some of the restricted nodes from the closed off bridges so cars drive down the ramp when normally they would not. I believe this minor glitch will persist until you save and load again, or maybe until the game is restarted.

Odd sequencing of the radio scripts could be related to a traffic fix. This area of the save isn't very well documented so it's difficult to tell what's going on. I remember looking into the issue briefly for some reason I can't remember now. IIRC, observations indicated that the radio scripts tend to be inconsistent anyway so I think the investigation was abandoned.

Krawk
  • Krawk

Prankster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Sunday, Oct 28 2012, 17:03)
Odd sequencing of the radio scripts could be related to a traffic fix. This area of the save isn't very well documented so it's difficult to tell what's going on. I remember looking into the issue briefly for some reason I can't remember now. IIRC, observations indicated that the radio scripts tend to be inconsistent anyway so I think the investigation was abandoned.

Actually, except for the one bit about the DJ on Radio LS saying "Denise in Ganton misses her man, desperately" at the very beginning of the game most radio scripts seem accurate. WCTR news is the most affected script. Maybe the game glitches Area 53 with The Truth talking about the green goo aliens because I also completed the steal-cars strand, which forwards the missions completed count to a higher number. They might have overlooked the steal cars strand and scripted that bit to be in the loop after missions completed count is at a certain number. Other radio bits seem to trigger when they should, specifically after a certain mission. Actually, if the traffic fix was affecting the game, I don't think 555-WETIP would advance WCTR news regarding the DA and the pot bust as I applied it before the first SF mission.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users