GTA IV Map vs. GTA V Map

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic
Ben_GTAV
  • Ben_GTAV

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

I've seen it speculated on here many times that the GTA V map will be 4 to 5 times the size of the map from GTA IV...

Is this reasonable? Could it actually be even bigger than that?

Since the game is clearly on current gen i'm not sure if 4 or 5 times the size is possible. I would love for someone with knowledge of this to give me input. Could they actually even go bigger than that with the detail of the environment?

Speetix
  • Speetix

Tyrant - Boss

• Members

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Actually noboy knows it for sure. Maybe it's only about Los Santos. Maybe it's a re-newed map of GTA SA with the same size.

GTA IV was a big map. But not too big.
I hope GTA V is bigger. Better and awesome.

Ben_GTAV
  • Ben_GTAV

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (Speetix @ Friday, Oct 5 2012, 18:00)
Actually noboy knows it for sure. Maybe it's only about Los Santos. Maybe it's a re-newed map of GTA SA with the same size.

GTA IV was a big map. But not too big.
I hope GTA V is bigger. Better and awesome.

GTA V is not going to be San Andreas...it will be Los Santos with mountains, countryside, desert and smaller south Cali towns.

And obviously the map in V will be bigger...

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

"Largest and most ambitious game"

Ben_GTAV
  • Ben_GTAV

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Friday, Oct 5 2012, 18:04)
"Largest and most ambitious game"

I get that man...

Did you read my topic?

I want to know from the people on here with actual knowledge of game creation what is possible in regards to the generation of consoles we are on...

Like for instance is a map 4 or 5 times the size of IV possible on this gen?

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Ben_GTAV @ Friday, Oct 5 2012, 17:55)
Since the game is clearly on current gen i'm not sure if 4 or 5 times the size is possible. I would love for someone with knowledge of this to give me input. Could they actually even go bigger than that with the detail of the environment?

I don't think that the size of the map itself would be the problem. The actual problem is when the map is bigger then the traffic will be more complexe, more peds, maybe even more radio stations, and so on and so on. The map-size isn't the problem but a bigger map means at all that "everything will be more". I think it's very unlikely that the map of GTA V will be 4-5 times bigger than GTA IV Liberty City. Just to make things clear:
GTA SA map: 13.6 square miles; GTA IV map: 8-9 square miles; Red Dead Redemptions map: Not sure, maybe around ~10 square miles; L.A. Noire map 8 square miles;

GTA V will be bigger than GTA IV and bigger than GTA San Andreas. Rockstar said this in the Asked&Answered on July 12nd:

QUOTE (Rockstar Games)
“Hey guys hope everything is good over there in Rockstar. Just a question referring to GTA 4, the game was brilliant and I really enjoyed and still do, but what disappointed me was the lack of planes and jets... Can you tell me why you didn't include them, I'm sure you have a very valid reason?” – via Mouthoff

The city was simply too small for effective and enjoyable flying. It was the first time we made a high definition open world, and it was a massive amount of work to make something on that scale – we simply could not make an environment big enough for planes to work properly. Fear not, they are returning in what is our biggest open world game to date.

Dutchy3010
  • Dutchy3010

Female SCM coder!

• None

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

This subject has been discussed recently. Please look down the forum or perform a search to find the relevant topic. smile.gif

Thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users