[REL|ASI|SA] GInput

250 replies to this topic
Mega
  • Mega

''This is Head Radio, A Love Media Station.''

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

Just tested a pool game with two Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers and I can confirm that the second player works fine!

• Deji likes this

D1RTY.
  • D1RTY.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Are you going to release the source files for this? Seeing as you don't [I think] have a 360 controller? It would be great to tweak this so the few remaining bugs are gone. Thanks.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:50 PM Edited by Deji, 09 December 2013 - 10:50 PM.

Are you going to release the source files for this? Seeing as you don't [I think] have a 360 controller? It would be great to tweak this so the few remaining bugs are gone. Thanks.

What bugs remain that I haven't acknowledged? When I was playing there was nothing obvious (I only tested basic play) but for others it isn't working on a deeper level, which seems a problem with compatibility. I'd started working on a new GInput-based control system for Vigilante Justice, which would've replaced GInput now if I'd still been working on it. At the moment, I don't have any controller or even a half decent computer for modding (SA runs, but slow on min settings with GFX bugs such as over-shaded peds).

The thing you're probably after is more features, which is something that will take a while to come. Having created this from PS2 nostalgia, there will be a cruel irony in me adding pressure sensitive triggers for the benefit of Xbox pad users, when my wish for pressure sensitive face buttons can not even be met due to XInput limitations. I'm still using X to drive though, cause that's just the way it was meant to be played :p

And I don't want this project completed for me. I find modding a hobby and have special plans for GInput ;)

@MegaMario1500

Great news! I've been obsessed with that pool script and the many interesting discoveries there have been inside it :)

D1RTY.
  • D1RTY.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

if you press RT down fully the car applies the handbrake and doesnt accelerate, you have to press the RT down halfway. The icons for the 360 controller also only display when you are holding down a button, otherwise it just shows the keyboard icons. And on a bicycle it says 'Press X to accelerate' when actually its RT and you cant tap to go faster because of the RT problem I mentioned earlier. ive also had problem with ginput where auto aim would not unlock at all. example of this would be at the crack den. the up and down arrows are switched wrong, for example doing the low rider missions are confusing because you have to do the opposite. LB and RB appear as LT and RT. Also no compatbility with the steam version

Latter is not really a problem, just a simple case of stating would exe is needed in the readme.

Vagg
  • Vagg

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

Totally agree with D1RTY, gj Deji but it would be cool if u could work out on these things for the 360 controller or at least give us the permission to try fix it by ourselves?

D1RTY.
  • D1RTY.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

And I just wanna fix it for myself if you're gonna sort your own stuff out later :p

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

GInput is based on the PS2 pads, because that's what even the PC version of SA uses as a medium. It makes simple connections of "XInput controller key > GTASA PS2 key", which though seemed to be flawless on the latest updates for PS2 pads back when I was using it, are obviously incompatible with Xbox controllers, or rather, just don't give very much functionality for them. This is all because of 'hard-coded' characteristics. In order for proper Xbox pad support, original game functions are going to have to be rewritten or extended in hacky-er ways. Even if I provided you with the source, it would not help too much on the Xbox controller front since there is no Xbox-specific code. The code for actual controller functionality is literally just assigning in-game variables with the values provided from the XInput interface. You might as well, as I already did in Vigilante Justice as previously mentioned, start again from scratch :p

My future plans are based on those which I made for VJ, to do with creating an intermediate virtual controller to act as a proxy. However, there still may be game functions to add features to in order to get a perfect control system going.. however the aim of GInput was to not do that at all and interfere with as little as possible. GInput should just do the basic XInput implementation. Any modifications to the control system should be part of a slightly different project. I've still not decided on how would be best to do that, however.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

But you switched damn L1 with L2 and R1 with R2 :p
  • Mega likes this

Zera
  • Zera

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:36 AM Edited by Zera, 11 December 2013 - 02:01 AM.

The only problem I have with Rockstar's default configuration is the mapping of shooting to the Circle/B button instead of the R2/RT button. That makes manual aiming weapons such as the country rifle very uncomfortable to use, since you can't walk, aim and shoot at the same time (not without seriously bending your finger, at least).

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot about the secondary fire button.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:58 PM Edited by Deji, 14 December 2013 - 02:19 PM.

The only problem I have with Rockstar's default configuration is the mapping of shooting to the Circle/B button instead of the R2/RT button. That makes manual aiming weapons such as the country rifle very uncomfortable to use, since you can't walk, aim and shoot at the same time (not without seriously bending your finger, at least).

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot about the secondary fire button.

Yeah, the Circle button for attack is kind of a GTA trademark. It's more for run-spraying and hand-to-hand combat, though.

EDIT: Got my stuff back from storage. So I can start doing some real modding now :)

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

This is pretty much just a release to finalize this phase of GInput. I'm still planning on starting again from scratch to be able to improve SA's control scheme further.

Zera
  • Zera

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:06 PM Edited by Zera, 05 January 2014 - 07:06 PM.

Thanks a lot for implementing full customization. You say you'll start over from scratch, but what else is left to improve?

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Thanks a lot for implementing full customization. You say you'll start over from scratch, but what else is left to improve?

The control system for SA is still designed around the consoles available in 2004, primarily the PS2. Even the Xbox version had terrible controls. For example, the left trigger, for some reason, is used to view stats on foot when not aiming. This is just a blind conversion from the PS2 L1 key. No matter how you configure GInput, the function for shooting on foot and viewing stats will be accessed through the same button. To work around that, I'd have to search for a way to detect if the player is aiming, just like I had to do with the current 'in-vehicle controls' feature. GInput has done good at emulating console behaviour of SA so far, but I'd rather overthrow the control system completely, in order to allow much more flexible and natural controls.

• ThirteenAG likes this

Zera
  • Zera

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:39 PM Edited by Zera, 05 January 2014 - 07:39 PM.

That makes sense.

As for this version, it seems the driving controls remain when you enter the menu while driving. So you have to press the right trigger instead of A to confirm if using the Xbox controls.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

That makes sense.

As for this version, it seems the driving controls remain when you enter the menu while driving. So you have to press the right trigger instead of A to confirm if using the Xbox controls.

Heh, just like Assassins Creed III when in a boat... Will fix it tomorrow :p

Zera
  • Zera

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

The text boxes also don't match the Xbox controls (e.g. press A to pedal).

Other than these issues, it seems to work fine.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

The text boxes also don't match the Xbox controls (e.g. press A to pedal).

Other than these issues, it seems to work fine.

They should automatically match the controls specified in GInput.ini, e.g. "TRIANGLE = B" should print 'O' or 'B'. At least, it did when I tested that configuration using the PS2 config. I might try adding menu support as its own configurable mode in GInput.ini.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Okay, released 0.2 RC2: http://gtag.gtagamin...ods/107-ginput/

It's significantly bigger since I made a mistake with the original ASI :p Added menu support as its own configurable mode (but using on-foot controls by default).

Zera
  • Zera

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:54 PM Edited by Zera, 07 January 2014 - 03:57 PM.

The driving controls are still persisting on the menu with this new version. The text box buttons appear to be fixed though.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

Alright, proper fix uploaded.

Zera
  • Zera

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Everything seems to be working fine now. Great job :^:

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:24 AM Edited by Deji, 08 January 2014 - 03:44 AM.

Weirdly, R* seem to have wrongly applied axis inversion settings to 'special car ctrl' keys. Meaning hydraulic suspension is inverted on the right Y axis, as is the acceleration and deceleration in Hydra's (unless you use inverted controls :p). I will try to fix this too, but I'm wondering whether SA originally applied inversion on these controls depending on settings, or whether they remained consistent regardless (for all I know I've just changed inversion preference without realising lol). Any idea?

• M0RB0 likes this

Zera
  • Zera

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

Sorry for the bump, but is there any way to switch the driving controls with the foot controls when you're inside a vehicle and a menu is open (for example, when tuning a car)? Because right now it's the same issue as before with the menu, you have to use the trigger to confirm in these situations while using the Xbox controls.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:40 PM Edited by Deji, 19 January 2014 - 11:41 PM.

GInput 0.3 Released!

The menu mode now applies to all front-end situations, including clothing and car customisation panels. Also added ability to customize sensitivity and inversion in each mode, resolving the issue where the Y axis of the right thumbstick is inverted when controlling low-rider suspension, hydra thrust, 'extra part' rotation, etc.

Additionally, I slipped a lil function into GInput especially for this...

Tactile Cheat Activation 1.0

Complete restoration of PS2/Xbox cheat functionality. Over 200,000 possible combinations, to activate all 92 possible cheats (even ones unusable via keyboard). Doesn't replace keyboard-activated cheats.

The first full script I've actually written in my own compiler :)

• LINK/2012 and M0RB0 like this

Zera
  • Zera

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

Working great now :^:

I think the only thing left at this point is rumble support. But I can live without it.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

I think the only thing left at this point is rumble support. But I can live without it.

Test this: https://dl.dropboxus...3209/GInput.asi

Don't get your hopes up, though. I have no idea if it will work right and no way to test. Lets hope R* left plenty of the functionality in :p

Zera
  • Zera

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

Test this: https://dl.dropboxus...3209/GInput.asi

Don't get your hopes up, though. I have no idea if it will work right and no way to test. Lets hope R* left plenty of the functionality in :p

It does vibrate, but it's broken. As soon as it's triggered (such as when shooting), it vibrates at maximum strength and doesn't stop vibrating until you quit the game.

Rockstar's code needs fixing, I guess.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

It does vibrate, but it's broken. As soon as it's triggered (such as when shooting), it vibrates at maximum strength and doesn't stop vibrating until you quit the game.

I told Deji XInput vibration is not as intuitive as he thought and that it can't be implemented w/out testing, but he didn't feel like using my help :p

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:58 AM Edited by Deji, 22 January 2014 - 09:59 AM.

I told Deji XInput vibration is not as intuitive as he thought and that it can't be implemented w/out testing, but he didn't feel like using my help :p

Actually, you thought that when you wrote it. My mistake was different and more stupid, but I know how to use XInput :p

(Or rather, I've never used the XInput API directly).

nukavictory
  • nukavictory

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:46 AM Edited by nukavictory, 25 January 2014 - 06:46 AM.

The download page seems to be down. When I load it all I get is a white screen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users