Quantcast

» «
Photo

Getting the HYDRA early.

186 replies to this topic

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Jack Reacher @ Sunday, Sep 30 2012, 05:38)
I think we have all given up on getting the Hydra early, its something I might try again if I think its possible in principle. Basically what I need to know, even without 4 stars, is it possible to push a destroyed hydra into the Doherty Garage (keeping it open with a PCJ) using say the fire truck from around the corner to somehow push it in and with luck have the garage door close and heal it? I have on a few occasions had the Hydra crash into some of the skyscrapers in SF and I have been able to push it around pretty close to the garage but with swat on you I eventually died.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I got an idea what about trying to get hydra during Los Sepulcros?. If I remeber correctly police is ignoring you at one stage of mission ( I saw this on video how to get EP/FP Rustler ), but hydras are still chasing you. So if that's true you can peacefully push hydra to Doherty garage. Only problem is if that's possible to push blown up hydra. Yes I know this is not before first mission, but still it would be worth+ there would be possibility to make it EP/FP. Sorry if that's stupid idea, I just think it could work. tounge.gif
  • OG Viking and fnxrak like this

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

In my experience (PC v1) aircraft wrecks always disappear (in plain sight) just before you get them into a garage.
So before doing too much work, try destroying a spawned Hydra right outside the garage and try pushing that in.

Btw. it might be possible to recover an intact Hydra that has dropped in the water.

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

You are probably right, I tried to push hydra to doherty garage while ago, but it seems it can't be done. Wreck dissappears too quickly, also that's probably reason why Andromada is unobtainable on pc.

__mako
  • __mako

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

I was trying to push this Hydra in Los Sepulcros too. I tried really hard, it took me like total 25-30 hours to realize it's impossible to do it, probably even if Hydra falls down right in front of the garage, altough pushing possible , because in my version (PS2, V2 - probably), it disappears right in front of garage, as i start to push it inside sad.gif
it's strange though, because if i spawn hydra next to Doherty i can get it inside...

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Members

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

A word of caution to anyone who wants to try to collect Michelle's Racing Suit: you need to start planning this challenge before you collect the last oyster. The trick relies on an boost to 45% to any non-storyline girlfriend below 0% progress when the last oyster bonus is applied. This unlocks the non-food dates and makes it possible to date Michelle in restricted territory if you are lucky enough to get a She-Drives date.
  • OG Viking likes this

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

As for the wait underwater method, I remember spending a while in a maverick underwater hoping it would fall into the ocean, but dont planes always fall down at a strange angle so you cant undrown them? I was thinking fo actually guiding it down with my chopper by flying underneath it so it doesnt flip...

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

For the Hydra you need to get in and put the wheels out, otherwise it will definitely blow up.
My plan was to push it into shallow water, just enough to allow CJ to get in and put the wheels out.

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

"Does the Pope sh*t in the Woods?"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Just got the EP/FP hydra right now, no cheats, no mods, no trainers
It took me ages but it's worth it

Pre-requisites:

High Stakes Low Rider and Just Business Missions Available
EP/FP Helicopter ex.: ep/fp seasparrow stored in muholand

Strategie:

Save at EL CORONA and start the High Stakes Low Rider mission, but instead of going to the start line, take the vehicle you started the mission to the San Fierro Impound and leave inside near the entrance of the garage, preferebly right after the downwards ramp (don't store it the impound lots). This should be really easy as there are no cops in vehicles and no traffic at all at this time.
Now go back to Los Santos and get the EP/FP Seasparrow, then return to San Fierro.
NOW FOR SOME REAL PAIN, this was what took me ages.
The idea is to make an hydra attack you and crash into the impound grounds, this is realy the tricky part, as most of the time the hydra will crash anywhere except the impond grounds. Best stratege trying to crash it into the big black building right on the curve before the impound, making it fall downhill and with some luck getting inside the impound grounds.
For some reason the hydra won't disappear as easy when you push it in that area, like in some other areas like near wang cars. But this is not over as you push it inside the impoud the gate must not close while you're inside with the hydra, that's why I used the High Stakes Vehicle so he won't disappear as a normal vehicle would while your inside the impound near the parking spots. just push it real gently avoiding the impound walls and park it in those spots, activate the invisible wall and it should be wainting a restored hydra.
Now Simply return to Los Santos in the vehicle for the race and crash it in the water or destroy it somehow, you should get the mission failed message.
The Rest is basicaly the same strategy used to make the rustler EP/FP.
Afterward just store it again in the San Fierro impound, it should be to difficult as there's no cops after you in that impound because of the Highway above it.
Good Luck.
Cheers tounge.gif
  • OG Viking likes this

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:35 AM Edited by fnxrak, 02 October 2012 - 03:30 PM.

Here are the Videos:

Part1:

Part2:
  • OG Viking and lol232 like this

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

Cool icon14.gif
So the solution to the "wreck disappearing on the doorstep" is to use an Impound garage monocle.gif

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Holy crap nice work, someone actually got it early. Don't know why I never thought to use the impound lot. So why do we need Just Business available? Also do you think this could work before Big Smoke?

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:18 PM Edited by fnxrak, 02 October 2012 - 07:25 PM.

Probably there is a way to get it in the master save file but it will not be very easy as i as flying with a ep/fp seasparrow so i won't get destroyed by the hydra's missiles
For that to happen it would a greater luck than this method, besides there always the problem of the impound gate to close and to make the hydra disapear.
But if someone wiling to try it and get it would be LEGEND.....
wait for it
....DARY colgate.gif

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Maybe you could park the seasparrow by the impound lot and then go grab a cop car from down stairs and use that to keep the door open, get back in the seasparrow and dodge missles until it crashes, then push it in using tear gas.

I noticed in your video it didn't look like it exploded when it crashed, that suppsoed to happen? Also to speed it up can you use a cop car to push it?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:15 PM Edited by OrionSR, 03 October 2012 - 07:28 PM.

Finally the impound garages prove useful for actually collecting a rare vehicle. I was disappointed they were merely another place to store vehicles.

Nice work, fnxrak. I'm quite impressed by the number of tricks that you put together during this collection. Very well done. This vehicle needs it's own announcement topic. It's too important to be buried within a couple of more general topic for collecting unique vehicles.

Why must the Just Business mission be available?

The SF Burglary van might be useful for holding the door open on a master save. Granted that would limit the time available to get the Hydra to crash in the right spot, but if you are flying a helicopter without immunities you'll need to get lucky in a hurry anyway.

Added: Jack's idea about the police vehicle sounds promising. Those vehicles are spawned by the impound scripts and should remain as long as CJ doesn't get too far from the impound lot.

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

With all the tall buildings in the area you should be able to use one for cover in the helicopter.
You don't need much cover to avoid getting hit. You just need the right place so that the Hydra's tend to crash in the right area.
Also beware that fresh Hydra spawns usually spawn in perfect firing position behind you, so when one crash in the wrong place turn your tail towards the building to block the shot from the next Hydra.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

So its looking like this may actually be plausible... the major problem I can see is pushing the Hydra around when you are in the impound lot and getting shot at by cops, but I suppose with tear gas you could pull it off if you are extremely methodical. So I jsut wanna get this cleared up, can you push the Hydra with a cop car to make it easier?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Jack Reacher @ Wednesday, Oct 3 2012, 14:01)
plausible...

Are you watching the new episodes of Mythbusters too?

I think we're just going to need to play with things to get a feeling for hazards of losing the wreck. I get the impression that it's really important to avoid hitting the walls. And camera control seemed like a primary concern.

I'm curious about the pathing in that area. It might be difficult for cop cars and peds to find their way into the impound grounds and underground lot.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

Haha nope haven't watched that show in ages, someones new catchphrase? When the Hydra crashed in the vid it didnt look like a wreck to me, or is that just me? I noticed in the LS impound lot cop cars keep spawning on 3 stars, so will SWAT vans spawn on 4 stars downstairs? That could help in a way if you need body armor. il start working on this soon, on a new save so I gotta earn 120,000, this has given my new master save file some more life, had to start again anyway because of the whole getting dumped by denise thing.

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

Actually cops inside San Fierro impound are no problem because being near the bridge cops will only spawn if you get to near the entrance of the impound grounds.
The Just business mission is not mandatory but it will help you take the plane of san fierro to make it EP/FP, that's why I mencioned it.
As for the cop car I think it's more reliable by foot as the plane shouldn't hit the walls or it might vanish. But if you want to be sure just pratice it with the cheat code.
I don't encourage the use of cheats but it's the best way to practice.

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:49 AM Edited by fnxrak, 04 October 2012 - 01:53 AM.

About the police car to keep the door open it was actually my first try but for some reason it disapeared when I was really near the parking spot. but it could be just a coincidence.
Unfortanetly in the video we don't see the actual crashing of the hydra I believe it has actually crashed and exploded in the bridge, it was a lucky shot that it felt there.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:00 AM Edited by Jack Reacher, 04 October 2012 - 05:16 AM.

Yeah man I was amazed with how lucky you were, it just fell right into the impound zone!

Ok I guess the first thing for me to play around with is using the cop car, if it keeps vanishing for me too I guess il have to figure out a strat to use the burglary van. You can impound the van right? I guess I finally gotta learn how to make cars spawn in impounds instead of just aircraft, with aircraft i don't have to worry about camera angles, its that or I land the seasparrow near the impound area and sprint to the Doherty garage and grab the Van. Or... use the van first and trigger the burglary mission while blocking the garage door and then drive to SF airport using any vehicle I want and grab the Maverik ( may as well as we can't proof stuff) and fly over and wait for it to crash, then use your strat and seeing as cops don't spawn down there it looks like the only worry is making it crash in time.

EDIT: So the police car seems to stick around for some time, if I fly too far away it dissapears from the garage entrance. Perhaps you could simply park it in the lot outside the garage (don't use it to hold the door open) and just fly around until the Hydra crashes, then use the car to block the garage. Or will it still dissapear?
Also using the maverick from SF airport took way too long to get the Hydra to spawn, I might even be better off landing the Shamal on the Airship and airjacking a police chopper.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:13 AM Edited by OrionSR, 04 October 2012 - 05:38 PM.

There shouldn't be any problem impounding a burglary van, and easy enough to check in LS just in case. The only vehicle that ever gave me trouble was the... Dune (IIRC) in the LVPD impound garage. It had the nasty habit of being invisible when it spawned. But then again, this is the SFPD impound so best to remember that impounded bikes spawn in the ceiling. Also, the invisible door always opens and closes when going up or down the ramp, so extra care must be made to keep the impound zone in view or most vehicles will disappear.

The police cars inside of the impound lots are controlled by scripts that trigger when CJ is within a 120, 120, 80 radius of the impound lot. When he leaves this area the police cars (and the door and gate) will disappear. The police cars aren't "destroyed" by the scripts, but references are removed so these vehicles can despawn like any randomly generated vehicle. Here is a map that estimates this radius as best I can. However, I'm not sure if the radius transcribes an ellipse or a rectangle (circle and square in this case) so I marked both.

user posted image

I've noticed that there is something magical about the spawn location of the SF Maverick. I'm not sure if there is much documented on this... feature(?). IIRC, flying any aircraft in the airspace above the SF Maverick will put the Hydra on hold for several minutes, but not quite long enough to finish the Barnstorming race. Exiting and entering the aircraft again might speed the return of the Hydra. At least, that what I remember from my snapshot speed run video. Squalo to the Bayside Maverick might work.

If you are planning to snag a chopper out of the air then consider a News Maverick. It seems like the appropriate vehicle for this area of the map, and the extra maneuverability should prove useful.
  • OG Viking likes this

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

It might be possible to do it in a master save file using DemonReacher's technique to get the police maverick:
How to get a police helicopter early
Then use the police maverick to hold down the gate. It seems that it doesn't easly disapear either, and giving the needed aircraft to make the hydra attack you.
Its just an idea

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

I was actually making a repeat of that video earlier today for the newschopper, I wasn't happy about how the vid doesn't show the chopper stored properly and was going to use the impound. After testing to see if it fits in the santa maria garage, the news chopper didnt attract the Hydra when I flew around the impound, I think once you store it, the hydra doesnt come.

I also tried using the police chopper and the hydra simply didnt show up after I used the police car to block the garage. As I was reading this topic the news chopper collided with me as I hovered in the air and destroyed the chopper... I went to try hijack another police chopper but fell off the damn boat and just turned the PS2 off. Il try all this tomorrow.

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Tried it with cheats and it worked as long as you can make the hydra attack you, as long as you can survive those attacks, and as long the hydra will fall on the grounds of the San Fierro impound, you might have a shot

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:04 AM Edited by OrionSR, 04 October 2012 - 10:08 AM.

I find it interesting that the frustration now is that we can't get the Hydra to spawn. However, if we could find a reliable method for preventing it from spawning then that might improve methods for collecting 4-star horseshoes.

I'm a bit rusty on my 4-star details, but I remember that the helicopters and Hydras tend to spawn less often on repeat visits after reloading the save. Perhaps a fresh start of the game will get the Hydra to spawn more reliably. I'm also wondering if entering and exiting the aircraft would be enough to spawn the Hydra without actually flying anywhere.

I think I found another option for a door prop vehicle: the BMX from the Big Smoke mission. It's possible to fail the mission by dunking the bike, and with max skills the BMX can just clear the jump into Flint Intersection. Starting the mission would require losing the Grove audio but... does it really matter?

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Almost did it it disapeared inside the impound no cheats, before Big Smoke mission. DAMN it only took me two times am I lucky?
The hydra won't spawn in area right above the impound as it won't spawn the middle the big buildings, i don't believe it's a glitch but maybe some kind of code that prevent from spawning in areas that most likely will crash.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

I see, so you gotta fly a little bit away from the impound. Did you have to use a mission related vehicle on your attempt, or just a cop car?

Also yeah I have no problem with losing the GSF audio as im doing it anyway to get the black perennial, I find special vehicles to be more important than stuff like the GSF audio and mission attempt stat. Hell im even considering going for vehicles that require cheats now, dropping the OCD tendancy to have perfect stats sets you free. I will probably still go for 0 deaths 0 busts because going over to 4 star landa nd doing objectives and just dieing to get back to LS removes all the tension of the chase.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

I started messing around near the SF impound using save editors, my trainer, and cleo to buff stats and keep CJ immune to damage. I was mostly interested in what the Hydra was going to do but the only conclusion I could reach was that CJ would stave to death before the Hydra would spawn if CJ hung out too close to the impound.

Hovering inside the black building didn't work out well either. The police and news choppers followed CJ inside the tower which made hovering in place impossible. And cinematic view wouldn't let me keep an eye on the impound grounds so I'd never know where any Hydra wrecks would settle.

There's an occlusion zone under the bridge that is useful for sending the pursuit choppers away, but I worry about resetting the Hydra too so I'm not sure how I want to use it. Another concern is the invisible barrier on the bridge. It seems to be blocking the best angle into the impound grounds, but I'm not sure if it will help or hurt at this point. Either way, I need to get a good feel for it's location so I can avoid smacking into it.

Actually, now that I've had the night to think on it; I think the occlusion zone under the bridge might be the key to keeping a helicopter alive without immunities. Basically, fly north under the bridge where it's safe, then turn around and fly back to the impound grounds. Pop out from under the bridge at the correct distance to allow the Hydra to respawn only if the angle is correct - maybe. And if that doesn't work then perhaps the bridge to Bayside can keep the Hydra off my tail long enough to get to the cover of the city buildings.

__mako
  • __mako

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Thursday, Oct 4 2012, 10:04)
I find it interesting that the frustration now is that we can't get the Hydra to spawn. However, if we could find a reliable method for preventing it from spawning then that might improve methods for collecting 4-star horseshoes.

I'm a bit rusty on my 4-star details, but I remember that the helicopters and Hydras tend to spawn less often on repeat visits after reloading the save. Perhaps a fresh start of the game will get the Hydra to spawn more reliably. I'm also wondering if entering and exiting the aircraft would be enough to spawn the Hydra without actually flying anywhere.

Yes, few months ago i was trying to get News Chopper in the very beggining and i only could jack police chopper for whaterver reason, so i reloaded lots of times, after 4-5 reloads either helicopters, hydras or both stopped spawning, strange thing was that when i reset PS2 instead of load everything is normal, seems that script is fixed to a save game slot, just like Katie/Barbara keep weapons perks, but it's only temporary.

Also yeah I have no problem with losing the GSF audio as im doing it anyway to get the black perennial...

What is this GSF audio? I got my Black Perennial too and i don't think there is something missing in my game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users