stjimmy3
  • stjimmy3

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:51 AM

like anyone is gonna read this sh*thole wall of text thread,

LOCK

Why did you bump a good retired thread just to say the mods should lock it? 

Gigabomber
  • Gigabomber

Infinite Ammo Amorous

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:55 AM Edited by Gigabomber, 08 September 2013 - 03:55 AM.

It may be possible to identify good and bad elements depending on the following criteria:

1. Does it alter the pace of the game?
  2. Does it interrupt the play by forcing a menial and/or unimportant task?
  3. Is it entertaining?

I can't think of a better summary to decide if an element is bad. A Good game has good pacing, tasks feel important, and - if not - at least entertaining. If it is none of those, toss it like: filling a gas tank:, cappy mini puzzles that pad a games length, and a series of fetch quests.

HighOnGTA
  • HighOnGTA

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

I think one can define good realism vs. bad realism, by stating this simple question:

Does it help your immersion in the game/your sense of being completely in the game-world in your mind - or does it not?

dg101
  • dg101

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

The only added realism I want in this game is more interaction with the environment.  Being able to use chairs, or order different food or goods at any store.  More open buildings to explore  the interiors of,   Stuff like that.  It's a totally different type of game, but I loved that in Skyrim.  You could do pretty much anything, interact with anything.  Want to just sit and enjoy the scenery, watch this incredibly detailed world work?  You could do it.  There's a certain level of roleplay available there.  And GTA V DOES have some of that...to a point.  Michael can lounge on the couch and watch TV.  You can STAND in your hot-tub.  But not relax your character in it.  Maybe go out and pick up a hooker, take her home or to a hot tub and get your f*ck on.  Stuff like that adds a whole other level to the game.  But I DO agree stuff like that should never be mandatory.

And that's probably just me.  Hell, my idea of a perfect game is a blend of The Sims 2, GTA, and Skyrim. 

• strakan7 likes this

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

I think one can define good realism vs. bad realism, by stating this simple question:

Does it help your immersion in the game/your sense of being completely in the game-world in your mind - or does it not?

I think a more important question is does it make going to the world less desirable despite making it slightly more immersive.

I'm not the only one who thought about this. Rockstar clearly did, and it turns out fuel and hunger are not the directions that rockstar games is going in. Many people wrongly assumed they were, but they aren't.

I just don't find getting fuel or food fun. And rockstar agreed, which is why they are not in.

• DeafMetal likes this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

I'm glad GTA V took GOOD realism (for the most part) this time around. Back to III era realism, baby. Now people will stop thinking GTA is gritty and realistic just because GTA IV has that reputation and they didn't bother to f*ckin' play GTA games to begin with.

Phew.

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

ill add to the "Bad realism" - a lot of the mechanics/animations/gameplay stuff added in GTA4 and 5 are just annoying and take from the experience.

The ragdoll physics where you fall down with the slightest tip from a car, or if jump into something/someone,

or the mechanic where if you crash a car you sometimes get thrown through the windshield, or if the cops are after you and one of you wheels get hit it locks up.

or if you jump off a hight that is one foot higher than the safe height then your character in GTA5 decides it would be best to to a flip in the air and land face first for no reason and loose a lot of health or die instead of just landing on his feet and loosing a small bit of health.

robbing a vehicle takes too long, getting out of a vehicle takes too long and there is no need to turn it off or close the door.

The VAST majority of the mechanics are nothing but annoying.

Then there is also stuff like over use of the phone and internet and banking - vice city was best here where all you did has answer the phone. internet is a waste of time and ever since it was first put into GTA in SA it has been nothing but annoying.

banking should be automatic or just like it was in the ps2 games.

The VAST majority of this stuff is annoying and a waste of time.

There is loads more which i cant think of but that are just as annoying.

All this (annoying) stuff just gives me the impression that they put all these (annoying) things in the games because they ran out of ideas and the didnt know what to do to fill the gap so they just put this stuff in as filler. Again they are just annoying and nothing else.

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

this is a good thread and needs lots more attention.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:17 PM Edited by Cyper, 16 March 2014 - 10:18 PM.

What OP is speaking about is authenticity. In videogames this tend to refer to a beliveable environment, sound, light, and other effects, and in general a world that is visualy similar to the real world.

Realism, on the other hand, often boils down to non-visual components such as mechanics and functions. In GTA, that may be how your characters health work and how it is affeced by certain events in the world. Vehicle physics, vehicle handling, weapon damage, weapon handling, fall damage, and so forth, is related to realism.

I can't say I completely agree with OP. When videogame developers speaks about ‘’accessibility’’, ‘’aiming for a wider audience’’, or, ‘’more responsive and fluid’’, I fear what I despise the most: videogames that compress the skill gap by making the game scripted, obvious, and throwing in to many aids to the player. Worst off all, these games prevent the player from freedom of choice; you’re put into a corridor, with no other choice than do exacty, step by step, what’s already intended.

There are fundamental aspects of realism to every game.

The most fundamental aspect in GTA is by no doubt freedom. It’s freedom of choice within the sandbox environment. This freedom of choice is restricted in GTA V in certain ways. For example, you can only buy clothing that fits the characters pre-defined style. You can’t enter interiors because you are not supposed to. You can’t buy Safehouses because it is not allowed. You can’t be treated naturally by AI because they are designed to be over aggressive.

Two other fundamental aspects of GTA is driving and shooting

If driving and shooting isn’t solid, then the game falls short because so much of the game is focused on that. GTA could have offered a Hardcore Mode affecting weapon mechanics in a way to make shootouts more slow-paced, but instead less enemies, removal of checkpoints, and so forth. The driving part could offer ‘’Simulation Mode’’ and ‘’Arcade Mode’’. Simulation mode would manipulate car deformation to a rather realistic value, aswell as the vehicle handling, making vehicles behave in a more realistic manner similar to how they behaved in GTA IV.

Maybe Rockstar didn’t want that because it is similar to screaming ‘’Hey, we dumbed down GTA V, but you can still play as before....’’ Of course the mainstream audience wont bother with the game being dumbed down, because thats exactly what they want, but for me personally it does not make the game better. It makes it worse and its one of the reasons to why I got bored of GTA V singleplayer after about one month.

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

What OP is speaking about is authenticity. In videogames this tend to refer to a beliveable environment, sound, light, and other effects, and in general a world that is visualy similar to the real world.

Realism, on the other hand, often boils down to non-visual components such as mechanics and functions. In GTA, that may be how your characters health work and how it is affeced by certain events in the world. Vehicle physics, vehicle handling, weapon damage, weapon handling, fall damage, and so forth, is related to realism.

I can't say I completely agree with OP. When videogame developers speaks about ‘’accessibility’’, ‘’aiming for a wider audience’’, or, ‘’more responsive and fluid’’, I fear what I despise the most: videogames that compress the skill gap by making the game scripted, obvious, and throwing in to many aids to the player. Worst off all, these games prevent the player from freedom of choice; you’re put into a corridor, with no other choice than do exacty, step by step, what’s already intended.

There are fundamental aspects of realism to every game.

The most fundamental aspect in GTA is by no doubt freedom. It’s freedom of choice within the sandbox environment. This freedom of choice is restricted in GTA V in certain ways. For example, you can only buy clothing that fits the characters pre-defined style. You can’t enter interiors because you are not supposed to. You can’t buy Safehouses because it is not allowed. You can’t be treated naturally by AI because they are designed to be over aggressive.

Two other fundamental aspects of GTA is driving and shooting

If driving and shooting isn’t solid, then the game falls short because so much of the game is focused on that. GTA could have offered a Hardcore Mode affecting weapon mechanics in a way to make shootouts more slow-paced, but instead less enemies, removal of checkpoints, and so forth. The driving part could offer ‘’Simulation Mode’’ and ‘’Arcade Mode’’. Simulation mode would manipulate car deformation to a rather realistic value, aswell as the vehicle handling, making vehicles behave in a more realistic manner similar to how they behaved in GTA IV.

Maybe Rockstar didn’t want that because it is similar to screaming ‘’Hey, we dumbed down GTA V, but you can still play as before....’’ Of course the mainstream audience wont bother with the game being dumbed down, because thats exactly what they want, but for me personally it does not make the game better. It makes it worse and its one of the reasons to why I got bored of GTA V singleplayer after about one month.

i think you missed the point.

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

I think the Housers are out of touch, they really dont know what to do anymore and this is why they have gone this way with GTA4 and GTA5 - bad realism, political/FIB heavy and shouting curse words all the time.

It like the Hangover part 3.

VanillaIce
  • VanillaIce

Cole Phelps FanBoy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

the Bad Realism In V  is....

when your cruising on a bike  up hills and when you land right but still  fall off and die almost all the time.

or flying out of your Windshield and dying    almost every time you hit a car. 

or when you land your car in a sideways Position from a fall or a stunt Jump and it blows up almost All the Time.

• Blennerville likes this

poland stronk
  • poland stronk

Gib money pls

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

Good realism is where there is gameplay mechanic or feature that is showing something realistic but in enjoyable way. Bad realism is where annoyance, frustration and boredom strikes with it's realistic brutality. The reason we play games is because we want entertainment. We play GTA because we want to steal cars, shoot with cops and do stuff we wouldn't in real life. We of course want to see computer world as realistic as it can be - that is diversive, alive and surprising. It's the details we are after not limitations that makes the game less enjoyable.

For example: good realism is where you can regenerate 50% of your hp making rampages with police last longer. Bad realism is where even sports cars behave like there is always ice on the road.

• Blennerville likes this

Kevinnicholls62
  • Kevinnicholls62

My names Lewis (gamertag is inside joke) and I'm that white

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:44 AM

GTA IV realism > GTA V realism

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

jiFfM.jpg

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:14 AM

Care to explain why? That's what forums are about, after all.

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:37 AM

Care to explain why? That's what forums are about, after all.

Because if you crash and you go through the windshield you rarely die, you can withstand a lot more damage and the driving is better.

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

bump

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

bump

If you're going to bump a thread at least make a worthwhile post other than "bump". I'll let it slide this time, but please remember in future.

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

whats-the-big-deal-2.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

One thing I'll say about this, though, having to stop for gas/constantly eat/abide by traffic laws is one of the sh*ttiest bad realism things I can think of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users