» «
Photo

[TUT] Creating custom VC style weapon icons

9 replies to this topic
GingerGrin
  • GingerGrin

The man with a naughty smile

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:58 PM Edited by GingerGrin, 24 May 2014 - 06:21 AM.

In this tutorial, I will try to explain, how to make a custom vicecity style weapon icon. I know, there is little interest today for VC, but I think this will help some people doing concept threads.

Get the image of the required weapon. A word of advice: VC weapon icons tend to have a 3D look. So be sure to select such an image. This is the image I am going to use in this tutorial.

Open up the image in Photoshop and rename LAYER1 as ORIGINAL. Duplicate the ORIGINAL layer and name the new layer as OUTLINE. Select the OUTLINE layer and go to FILTERS > STYLISE > FIND EDGES. Your image will look something like this:

lP9Z3pXs.png

Sometimes it may so happen that much of the details are unchanged. In that case, “white” out the irrelevant details so that it looks like the above screen.

Now BO(ORIGINAL) > GRADIENT OVERLAY and use the following gradient:

HD6yG.png

BO(OUTLINE) > BLENDING OPTIONS > COLOR BURN.
Resize the image to your liking, because we are done with the weapon. Now we will have to make the rounded square.

Create a new layer and draw a rounded square of required size with NO STROKE and FILL COLOR orange. Rasterize this layer and rename it to SQUARE_BASIC.
BO(SQUARE_BASIC) > STROKE: Size: 5px Color: Pink
> BEVEL AND EMBOSS: Style: Pillow Emboss

The icon is almost complete. Let’s add some final touches. Draw another rounded square, slightly smaller than the earlier one, with NO STROKE and FILL COLOR white. Rasterize this layer and rename it to SQUARE_ADV. Select the ERASER(30-40px), set the HARDNESS to 0 and gently erase everything except the corners.

yGnpj.png

That's it! If you have followed the steps correctly, you should get something like this:

xKEYE.png

SOME NOTES:

1. BO(LAYER) means go to BLENDING OPTIONS of the layer named LAYER.
2. Whenever I say, “create a new layer”, I want you to create a layer on the top of all other layers.

sorv
  • sorv

The Hero

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:32 PM Edited by sorv, 23 September 2012 - 06:14 PM.

Very nice tutorial.Here the cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif for u.

Michael-Knight1
  • Michael-Knight1

Never Give UP

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:42 PM Edited by Michael-Knight1, 23 September 2012 - 07:15 PM.

cryani.gif

EDIT : I Mean it's very Nice blush.gif

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

Great TUT bro! This can be useful too.

Michael-Knight1: What the f*ck are you doing? One word or smiley on your post is claimed as spamm! Just friendly advice and just to tell you,when i see your post somewhere,almost everyone is unuseful of your posts,please be better,do you remember what you've done at DYOM selection?

Michael-Knight1
  • Michael-Knight1

Never Give UP

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (AnDReJ98 @ Sunday, Sep 23 2012, 19:05)
Great TUT bro! This can be useful too.

Michael-Knight1: What the f*ck are you doing? One word or smiley on your post is claimed as spamm! Just friendly advice and just to tell you,when i see your post somewhere,almost everyone is unuseful of your posts,please be better,do you remember what you've done at DYOM selection?

i mean that's very nice man tounge2.gif

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

I've actually been looking for a tutorial on this for quite sometime.

Very good and very well done.

Nice Joker avatar also smile.gif . icon14.gif .

GingerGrin
  • GingerGrin

• Members

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. @Indi: Glad this tutorial helped you smile.gif

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Best New Gang 2012 - High Rollers

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

great tutorial man i had a go with a deagle biggrin.gif

user posted image

GingerGrin
  • GingerGrin

• Members

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (nic_23 @ Monday, Sep 24 2012, 01:30)

user posted image

Not bad at all icon14.gif Some suggestions: make the square a bit smaller. Try to play around with other GRADIENT blending options and see what they yield. Also, you forgot to add that final touch.... nevertheless, its a good one. And thanks for reading the tutorial. smile.gif

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Best New Gang 2012 - High Rollers

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (GingerGrin @ Monday, Sep 24 2012, 02:39)
QUOTE (nic_23 @ Monday, Sep 24 2012, 01:30)

user posted image

Not bad at all icon14.gif Some suggestions: make the square a bit smaller. Try to play around with other GRADIENT blending options and see what they yield. Also, you forgot to add that final touch.... nevertheless, its a good one. And thanks for reading the tutorial. smile.gif

thankyou man i tried copying the original gta vc icons http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061387215 for a pistol it was green. i think i could have made the edges a bit rounder.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users