Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

323 replies to this topic
The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

The game is a mess, kind of. I'd get the first game if I were you. Or The Witcher series.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

Since the thread was revived, I'm gonna ride the wave...

I got this about a week ago on sale. Mechanically it seems simple enough (I just switched to easy difficulty since I'm not that into the combat anyway) but I'm a bit confused with the story at the beginning. So there was a gathering, an explosion and now I have supepowers? I've not played the other DA games...

Am I missing something important from the previous games or is this just how the story starts proper? I've not looked into it too much on wikis or whatever so I don't get something spoiled.

luisniko
  • luisniko

Un-certified Nurse

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Dimension torn. Your memory shattered. You got thrown into real world with 'stolen' power. The sky was leaking, so the demon kept spawning in the world. Then you ran into the case where the bad dude from DA2 didn't die.

Great. Now I want to play it again...

bigraj
  • bigraj

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

I love the series, and will eventually play through the games again and craft a different history.  I like how the combat in Inquisition is a blend of Origins and II.  More action-y, but bringing back the tactical aspect from Origins.  Trying to understand the politics of the different races and lands and the magic vs religion beef will definitely be confusing without at least playing through DA: Origins first.  

Big key for combat in DA: Inquisition - Once you're able to start building the specializations, almost always have Vivienne in your party.  She'll be an awesome tanking mage that will keep you in most any fight.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

almost always have Vivienne in your party

But she's boring and she's a c*nt to boot. Solas FTW.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

I should pick this up again, I loved the combat of DA 1 and DA 3 has similar combat, it just put me off because I got stuck in the starting zone trying to clear a level 14 quest as level 4.

luisniko
  • luisniko

Un-certified Nurse

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

Make sure you strip Solas before the final fight.

Just saying.

Like seriously.

bigraj
  • bigraj

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

almost always have Vivienne in your party

But she's boring and she's a c*nt to boot. Solas FTW.

I liked her story and conversations with other party members while travelling.  I thought it was interesting to have her aristocratic take on things, before usually doing the opposite of what she approved of.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

So is there no need to know what happened in DA1+2 before playing Inq?

At the beginning of Inq there some terms thrown around that seemed to be insider knowledge. I don't remember what it was about but it seemed liked the people have already been aware of the existence of those demons and where they come from.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:14 PM Edited by The Yokel, 20 January 2017 - 11:32 PM.

At the beginning of Inq there some terms thrown around that seemed to be insider knowledge. I don't remember what it was about but it seemed liked the people have already been aware of the existence of those demons and where they come from.

You can learn about that by collecting books in the game. The more important things are characters and events from previous games. You won't be able to fully understand why they're important and what they're about without playing Dragon Age Origin and Dragon Age 2. It would be like watching only Return of the Jedi without knowing anything about A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for reminding me of this by bumping. Bought the digital version a while back and haven't gotten too far but got other games and removed it from my HDD.
My only gripes were the mediocre graphics and combat that feels like a MMO grind.

luisniko
  • luisniko

Un-certified Nurse

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:58 AM

There is a link towards DA1 and DA2 lores. Just read it over the internet.

They have a cool minor feature though. DA2 protagonist will show up in DAI and if you played DA2 and connect your progress to their server, they said DA2 protagonist will show up accordingly to your settings.

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick
  • OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:32 AM

Played past the prologue now and I'm actually enjoying it so far. I was a bit worried after reading some of your comments, but I'm enjoying myself so far. As of right now, I'm not lost or confused with the storyline either. No issue with any of the characters so far. No major bugs or glitches encountered. Graphics are poor for today's standards, but that's because EA decided to release it on both console generations unfortunately. Hopefully I continue to enjoy this!

​One question, on the quest page, how can you tell what is the main quest and what is the side quest? A lot of quests are starting to pop up for me and I only want to focus on the main story on my first playthrough. Then my second playthrough, I can check out the side quests and get a more complete playthrough.

luisniko
  • luisniko

Un-certified Nurse

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:48 AM Edited by luisniko, 21 January 2017 - 04:51 AM.

One question, on the quest page, how can you tell what is the main quest and what is the side quest? A lot of quests are starting to pop up for me and I only want to focus on the main story on my first playthrough. Then my second playthrough, I can check out the side quests and get a more complete playthrough.

Everything under "Inquisitor's Path" drop-down list is basically Story quest.

I suggest you to do the side quests as well. It will bring you to places and you'll end up gathering resources along the way for your upgrade needs, although some can be annoying because of the blind map and the invisible walls.

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

Grand Marquess of Slumberdom

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:39 AM

You can learn about the previous games through the EA site—sort of. Basically, you run through a long series of tarot-ish (quite tedious at two games' worth) cards in which you use your EA account to determine the events and important decisions of the previous two games if you don't have save data. That way, you can kind of understand why certain characters show up and say or do the things they do.

All told, I got to the second act of the game, from which Inquisition invariably gets its name, and interest started waning then.

If you're going to play, only, only, only play quests and side quests that would really grab your character's attention if you were really seeing the events through his or her eyes. Otherwise, you can burn yourself out on all the other miscellaneous and largely pointless side material.

Don't worry about you character's class either, as you'll eventually get a companion for each party battle role that your own character sort isn't even necessary, ironically.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

Graphics are poor for today's standards, but that's because EA decided to release it on both console generations unfortunately.

Yea, that's so unfortunate people like me get to play the game, right? It would be much better if only half the people got to play, but with shinier textures. Graphics is the most important thing, after all :)

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

Graphics are poor for today's standards, but that's because EA decided to release it on both console generations unfortunately.

Yea, that's so unfortunate people like me get to play the game, right? It would be much better if only half the people got to play, but with shinier textures. Graphics is the most important thing, after all :)

Honestly, I don't know you, so why should I care if you get to play the game or not? The fact that EA released this game across both generations hurt the game undoubtedly. Forgive me for wanting a game I bought with my own money to be as good as it possibly can be.

​Anyway, finished the Mage quest (I chose to side with the Mages as the Templar leader was a douchebag to me) and stopped when the army started to attack the city of Haven (strangely, all the side quests for Haven were automatically "completed" for me, even though I didn't complete them, that kind of annoyed me). I'm still enjoying the game so far. But, my biggest complaint is the quests that are locked off until you have enough power. I HATE when games do this. They lock a story mission off until you have a certain amount of requirements fulfilled. It's just a cheap way of making the game longer in my opinion. I'm interested in the story, but because I don't have enough power, I'm spending a large amount of time just running around trying to close rifts and make camps so I can get enough power. This gets boring quick. This is my only major complaint so far though.

​I chose to allied with the Mages and let them into the Inquisition (and not conscript them like Cassandra wanted to do). When I made this decision, it said Cassandra strongly disagrees with my choice. I'm trying to romance with her (I've done all the "heart" dialogue options with her so far and for the most part, everything I say she usually agrees with). But, since I made this choice that she strongly disagrees with, is my chance of sleeping with her ruined now? I hope not!

luisniko
  • luisniko

Un-certified Nurse

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

That is to give you impression of time gap and you working your ass off to support the inquisition.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

Honestly, I don't know you, so why should I care if you get to play the game or not? The fact that EA released this game across both generations hurt the game undoubtedly. Forgive me for wanting a game I bought with my own money to be as good as it possibly can be.

Wow... I keep forgetting people are selfish idiots. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Finished the game on Thursday. Took me 6 days to finish. This was only my second RPG I've ever finished from what I can remember (Lords of the Fallen being my first). Biggest lesson learned? Don't go into the final boss battle as only a level 15 warrior. It's a miracle I got past the dragon. Holy hell that dragon boss battle was insanely difficult for me. There were definitely times I wanted to snap the controller in half and throw it at my TV. The terrain during the dragon boss battle was so annoying. It's uneven, so there were so many times where my character would get "stuck" on the terrain and I wouldn't be able to move which then the dragon would attack me. And I felt like the dragon was getting those defensive barriers every 5 seconds. And my party were idiots and would just take a clear shot from the dragon's foot attack and not even attempt to get out of the way. Sometimes I feel like they were more harm than good. And then when you finally beat the boss, Solas just comes out of nowhere? I didn't have him in my party either. I haven't had in my party since the very beginning of the game. I never liked him. HIs character was just so boring. And then the ending scene only made me hate him more.

​Anyway, this was a fantastic game. I definitely regret making this playthrough as a main story only focused playthrough. The only time I did side quests were when I was trying to acquire enough power to start the next main story mission. Once I had enough power, I would immediately start the next main story mission. I never really did any side missions just for fun or out of curiousity from what I can remember. As I was so anxious to see what happens next! And because of that, my character was underpowered during the final boss fight. Next playthrough, I will try to do almost everything in the game, so I can then dominate all of my enemies and get the complete story of the game. I never even met Blackwall during the game. I didn't meet Iron Bull until towards the end of the game. Even though I had the option to meet him from close to the start of the story. And I never met Vivienne either.

​Positives:

​- Fantastic story that kept me wondering what's going to happen next

- Beautiful and varied enviroments (all the areas were awesome to explore, I'm pretty sure I didn't see all of them too)
​- Numerous and well designed enemy types (always enjoyed games where there are so many different enemy types, keeps things interesting and fresh)

- Excellent writing (dialogue was well done and made me laugh quite a few times)

- Soundtrack/sound design/ambience was excellent as well - Always relaxing to hear the animals and other ambience of the area as you're exploring

- Characters - Pretty much every major character you encounter was unique and interesting. Only character I didn't like was Solas. But, I enjoyed everyone else's company. Contrary to what someone else said on here, I liked Cassandra (that's why I tried to romance her). She was in my party 24/7. So, they did a good job making every character compelling.

- Nothing was more epic than being on horseback exploring an area only to suddenly see a dragon in the background come out of nowhere and take flight

- The random(?) encounters you run into: I saw a giant taking on a dragon. Also saw giants ganging up on a fire demon. This gave the world a little more life to it.

- Loved how you could revive your party members. If it was just an instant death as soon as you died, I would have died so many times. This was really handy. But, this also led to a negative. See below.

Negatives: these are all minor with the exception of the first one. I'm being pretty nit picky here.

​- Biggest one is the game requiring you to have enough power to start a main mission. I was so engrossed in the story, I wanted to know what happens next, only to find out I need 40 power to start the next mission. So, instead of finding out what happens next, I instead spend hours doing quests/sealing rifts/finding camps/etc. to get enough power. Talk about slowing down the game.
​- Bugs and glitches: nothing major, no crashes or game breaking bugs, but there are enough bugs and glitches to kill some immersion. Quite a bit of texture pop in's. AI being wonky.

- Party banter as you're exploring - I loved the banter between your party members. It could be funny or interesting. But, there wasn't enough of it. I felt like it was too rare and didn't happen nearly enough

- Hated how you couldn't decide when to equip your weapon or when to put it away. The game does it for you. This proved to be annoying. As there were multiple times my character would equip the weapon, but I didn't want to fight, I wanted to run away, but since the weapon is equipped, I'm running slower and the enemy catches me and hits me. Or I'd be far away from enemies and my weapon is still equipped for some reason. Just give us a button to equip our weapon whenever we want to.

- Tactical camera was literally useless. Never used it once. Don't know why anyone would bother with this?

- Maybe this is the guy side of me coming out, but I wish there were more than 2 women to romance. Give me more options!
- While I loved how you could revive your party members. I hated how the AI party members couldn't revive other members themselves. I had to do all the reviving. It would have been so useful during the dragon boss battle if my party members could have revived someone that just died while I focus on the dragon in the mean time.

- Loading times - They were too long and too frequent.

- Technically not a true open world game - It's a shame this game came out early in the new console generation. Had they pushed it back a year or two, they would have been able to get more power out of the new consoles and perhaps the game would have had a more open world experience. It would have been awesome if you could simply walk into a new area instead of having to go to the world map and fast travel there. Instead, if you reach the outer limits of an area, there's an invisible wall and you can't walk into the next area without fast traveling. This is lame.

​I'm probably forgetting some positives and negatives due to the immense size of the game. I'll edit this if I do remember any.

Overall, I'd probably give the game around a 9 or so. Definitely could go higher though once I do a more thorough second playthrough of the game. I'm looking to pick up the GOTY edition of the game (I own a digital regular version of the game), so I could play the DLC and see what happens to the characters. I romanced Cassandra, although I never got all that far as I only did one side quest of her's (the one where you ask Varric to finish his next book. One of the funnier moments of the game). So, I'd be curious to see where our relationship goes in the DLC. Are they working on another Dragon Age game? As I'll look forward to that if they are.

​I have been playing Skyrim since then. Once finished with that, I will play The Witcher 2 and 3.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Tresspasser left me reeling for more. Could not think of anything other than DA4 till like a week after finishing it; this game wasn't perfect but i'v always had bit of a skewered taste compared to the public when it comes to DA and BioWare in general [Dragon Age II is great. fite me] so in the end I loved it. 

luisniko
  • luisniko

Un-certified Nurse

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

Lol. you should have taken your time to play it. Sounds pretty rushed just to finish for the heck of it and then you missed the perspective of who your character is and why and what he had to do for the Inquisition.

Also, you can command teammate to revive fallen member during battle.

You can also give command to escape from battle which will put your weapons away immediately until you get hit.

bigraj
  • bigraj

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

Lol. you should have taken your time to play it. Sounds pretty rushed just to finish for the heck of it and then you missed the perspective of who your character is and why and what he had to do for the Inquisition.

Definitely.  I don't suggest playing for 250 hours (What?  I like exploring.) like I did, but there's a lot of places to explore, characters to meet, items and weapons to gain and customize.  I spent way too much time customizing weapons and armor, but it all helped to make my party dragon-killing machines.

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

Grand Marquess of Slumberdom

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

My holey theory in a nutshell:

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users