Photo

RoboCop (2013)

70 replies to this topic
Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

2nd one was ok. 3rd one was hilariously bad. Not in like a BAD bad way, but a "so bad it's good" type of way. Like 1995's Judge Dredd.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:56 PM Edited by Gst0395, 28 November 2012 - 09:58 PM.

The suit looks okay, though it use alot more colour rather than be all black. Using the old suit would be a bad idea, as it's dated and screams 80s. I do prefer the old suit any day though. Although a remake of RoboCop sounds cool, I wish they'd stop remaking all these classic films. I am quite a big fan of the original for it's graphic violence, cultural satire and cheesy but awesome premise. RoboCop 2 was almost as good imo, though 3 was a bit dissapointing. I enjoyed it but didn't like how they turned down the violence. I'm considering giving the remake a chance but I'm not expecting it to hold a candle to the original.

Shame the original is rather unappreciated by the modern generation. I once watched it with my cousin (two years younger than me) and he considered it the worst film he'd ever seen, even worse than 17 Again (with Zac Efron). Really now, there's WAY worse films out there, way, way worse. Felt rather embarrassed after finding that out, wish I'd never watched it with him. suicidal.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godmother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

A bump, but here's a trailer...

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

It actually looks good. But the trailer for that new Total Recall didn't look bad either. Hopefully this won't end up being as boring as that.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

Oh what fresh hell is this?

Did they really have to tarnish the name 'RoboCop' to make this movie? Judging from the trailer, he's far more human than robot which already kinda defeats the purpose of him struggling to find his humanity. What's more, in the original OCP didn't give a damn about him and saw him as merely a product. I got the vibe from the trailer that this isn't really the case. 

Also, why the hell did they paint him black!!

Disappointed to say the least. It looks like just another generic action movie.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

Jesus Christ jumping on a pogo stick. It's not Robocop anymore, now it's some silver power ranger running around. Why do they need to remake every good sci-fi movie from the past. Total Recall turned into mediocre pulp, Robocop turned into mediocre pulp, what next? 

And why does he got his hand naked like that? It makes no goddamn sense. Is he machine with human parts, or some heavily hurt human hidden is some plastic armor? Even the legends are digged up from the graves only to dance one more, damn.  

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

Jesus Christ jumping on a pogo stick. It's not Robocop anymore, now it's some silver power ranger running around. Why do they need to remake every good sci-fi movie from the past. Total Recall turned into mediocre pulp, Robocop turned into mediocre pulp, what next? 

And why does he got his hand naked like that? It makes no goddamn sense. Is he machine with human parts, or some heavily hurt human hidden is some plastic armor? Even the legends are digged up from the graves only to dance one more, damn.  

I know right. All they're doing is riding on the name of a great franchise in order to make a quick buck. They've distanced themselves from the original so much that they might as well call it 'CyborgSheriff'

Janky
  • Janky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hollywood needs to stop remaking these classic movies. Why touch an original like RoboCop? This was a great movie in it's time, but now they want to make modifications to the movie that just doesn't make sense. Yes, a remake would be nice to see, but not like this. If you're going to remake a classic at least do it right and stop trying to make it like all these other new Hollywood action movie out there. 

Doubt I'll waste my time watching this when it releases. 

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

I don't understand some of you. You're complaining that the movie isn't the same as the original. Duh, it's not supposed to be. It's a new Robocop. Things are going to be different. What's the point of copying everything from the old one?

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:36 AM Edited by Tycek, 06 September 2013 - 03:58 PM.

It can't be new Robocop in the same way as there can't be new Mona Lisa or Colosseum. Every movie using the same story and title will be compared to the old version and usually will get a lot of sh*t. 

It's not like people want the new to be the same as old (at least I understand it this way), but they want new one to be non-existent. Can you really make better movie than Verhoeven's bloody classic? Are you able to add something that will put your movie at the top? Are you able to suppress the old version with yours? Most of these remakes are just bad, made only for cash, ripping old ideas and trying to surprise someone with exactly the same tricks. Was new Total Recall better than the old one? How about Planet of the Apes? Do you really think that Robocop will turn the tide and become better version than the classic one? I don't. 

And about copying everything from the old. That's the way they're doing it. Hence the name - remake, but usually it ends like this. They keep the cheesy story and cheesy characters (which were perfectly made in the '80 for different standards) and usually lose everything else, that was making the movie different from the others. Do they keep the satire of the future Detroit and gore from the original? Satire became reality and you can't put blood in PG-13 movie. 

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godmother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I would have rather seen them remake Robocop 3.  That movie had a pretty decent script, but due to the technology of the time, the end was just lame.  I enjoy that movie, up until Robocop starts flying around.  It's like they wanted us to be so in awe of Robocop's flight, that we'd forget that they didn't have an emotional climax.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

Robocop 3 was ideal example what will happen if you try to make a movie like this with PG-13 rating. Do you think this remake will be any good? 

• darthYENIK likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godmother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Yes, I forgot to add that part about it being PG-13.

The over the top violence was taken away, the foul mouthed kids were taken out, and they tried to make Robocop 3 appeal to family audiences.  Which I guess they were successful, I remember Robocop being big among kids when that movie came out.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

But Wait...There's More!

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

Dear Hollywood,

Quit gang raping my childhood memories.

Thanks,

- SC

PG-13??  Good god...

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

I like the black suit.
Although I hate that they replaced getting blown to pieces by shotguns with a car bomb...

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

I don't understand some of you. You're complaining that the movie isn't the same as the original. Duh, it's not supposed to be. It's a new Robocop. Things are going to be different. What's the point of copying everything from the old one?

Yeah, that's what Bollywood does, not Hollywood. :p

The trailer looks decent. There's not much to judge it though. Absolutely not digging the black suit. I'll still end up watching it though just because it's RoboCop.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godmother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

I have no real problem with the suit.  It's not like the original Robocop suit was mind blowingly cool or anything, aside from the gun that comes out of his leg.

It's the PG-13 sh*t.  The over the top violence and over the top crude humor is what I enjoy most about the original two movies.  I don't see how they can do that when they are aiming for PG-13.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

PG-13 is an odd choice indeed. Going the Total Recall route, I guess. :(

But watching some of you bitch and moan about your childhood being "raped" is god-damned hilarious. Maybe you've forgotten just how bad these movies were, if you strip away the nostalgia (and awesome ED animation).

The story this time seems more like a surface struggle - he's still him, but he's also this robot - that seems like new, interesting territory and very relevant in this day and age of post-war intelligent prostheses. The original story always felt frustratingly simplistic before: Robocop wasn't Frank anymore, he just had some of his memories, and when confronted with them he did what any coldly logical robot would do - shot things in frustration. :p

I'm stoked. I wish there was more 'splodey bad guys and guts and tits and swearing, but if it tackles the story I think it's tackling, it's going to be very fun indeed.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

Robocop wasn't Frank anymore, 

Robocop was never a Frank. :sly:  Cop who was turned into Robocop was called Alex James Murphy. 

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

Oh. Ha. Where'd I get Frank from? Is there another robot cop named Frank? :p

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godmother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

http://robot-frank.com/

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:00 PM Edited by Tycek, 10 September 2013 - 09:10 AM.

Frank Miller wrote scenario for second part, which was later used in 2 and 3 part of the series (after some changes), but as far as I know, cop was always called Alex Murphy. It was even one of the jokes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

Just watch the official trailer myself.

The ugly costume is explained there, but it still is unexcusable. He made a lot more sense and held a lot more "every man" value as a robocop than he does/will as a roboswat or robonanosuitcrytek guy.

But;

Michael Keaton = Must Watch. However, that does not make it a must-theatre or must-pay. I can see I'd just as well wait for TV or onDemand.

His new origin, is stupid, too. The only thing that made RoboCop feel good in the first place was the brutal way in which he was killed. A decent cop, a good guy, mowed down in one of the most evil manners ever shown on film, is reduced to a car bomb scene. 

Not worthy reboot. But Michael Keaton will help to make it okay.

This movie is a mockery of something that, cheesy or not, was poweful and gripping. It will not be better than the original, nor the trilogy, it will not be better looking, even if it's not stop-motion for ed209 and all, and overall, I'm not excited one bit, except for Michael Keaton, and he's clearly going to be a bad guy in some sense, since he's the project daddy or whatever.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:37 AM

You're silly. You have to realize that you're talking almost entirely from a nostalgic standpoint, right?

Can't wait until the remake of 'Avatar' in the 2030's 'rapes' everyone's childhood.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

I used to be a big RoboCop fan as a kid. I thought there was nothing cooler. But I saw the first one a few months ago and for some reason it didn't bring back any good memories. I just thought that it was a bad movie full of stupid scenes. Maybe that's why I don't care as much as some of you about everything that's apparently wrong with the new one. As bad as it may be, I seriously doubt it will be worse than the original. I can't even watch the original anymore.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

The story this time seems more like a surface struggle - he's still him, but he's also this robot - that seems like new, interesting territory and very relevant in this day and age of post-war intelligent prostheses. The original story always felt frustratingly simplistic before: Robocop wasn't Frank anymore, he just had some of his memories, and when confronted with them he did what any coldly logical robot would do - shot things in frustration. :p

I'm stoked. I wish there was more 'splodey bad guys and guts and tits and swearing, but if it tackles the story I think it's tackling, it's going to be very fun indeed.

I'm with you 110%. It actually seems like a refreshing take on the story, and not just "A cop that used to be human that has residual memories of his former human self," but it could be more of an internal struggle with his humanity.

Do you guys remember the Robocop tv series? How did that not "rape" your childhood? That was absolute f*cking garbage!

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:35 PM Edited by brian., 11 September 2013 - 07:37 PM.

You're silly. You have to realize that you're talking almost entirely from a nostalgic standpoint, right?

Can't wait until the remake of 'Avatar' in the 2030's 'rapes' everyone's childhood.

Probably. Maybe. I don't know. Robocop was so cool because it still would have been awesome if it wasn't a sci fi movie, you know? He was like, an american hero - humble, then humbled, then unstoppable. He was an everyman, and I think it's less nostalgia and more about the actual key parts of the story - the rough death vs a car explosion, it was just so brutal.

Robocop is being made for 14 year olds. I'm sure it will feel as dumb as terminator 3 or GI joe, which is upsetting a little, as much as a movie can upset I suppose, because the original was a masterpiece for its time, adult, and very mature, even if it suffers from age, it was strong.

I can't wait until an avatar reboot happens, that movie was sh*t. Like some after school special or something.  :p

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

Looks like someone paid for alot of big names/faces.
Overcompensating.
Did that really work for GI Joe 2 by putting Bruce Willis in it?

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

Has anyone seen this one yet, Is it good or sh*t?

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

A whopping 51/100 on Metacritic.

Better than the original.

Best movie ever,

Critical acclaim.

Masterpiece.

5 outta 10.