Quantcast

» «
Photo

I am turning GTA roleplaying into a legitimate...

30 replies to this topic
PHARKIN CHERKOV
  • PHARKIN CHERKOV

Nightman Sneaky Mean

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:06 AM Edited by PHARKIN CHERKOV, 10 September 2012 - 04:15 AM.

A new style of directing. But the question is would you watch this? Would you take part in this? We would have on-going storylines updated monthly on youtube. I am getting into filmmaking and this is a little pet project of mine. My aim is make GTA storytelling -- legitimate, cool, something akin to a Refn-style film. Our storylines take inspirations from Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, and alot of other stuff but totally original. Would you be a viewer? Would you support this? Our aim is to get recognition from Rockstar games and celebrities (Gen-Y kids).

A look inside our little digital city of Los Santos, with our little digital characters with our little grand digital storylines.

We would have updated newspaper articles, like below. So, what does gtaforums think? I'm an artist by nature, I'm a creative person who comes from a long line of legitimate artists. Serious discussions only.

user posted image

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:15 AM Edited by ryuclan, 10 September 2012 - 04:19 AM.

I would most definately tune in but I have a little suggestion for that particular news article. If the dead cop was indeed an undercover. It would be unwise to mention that fact in the paper. In fact I wouldnt even mention he was a cop. If he were killed by a rival gang or for any other reason that would tip off the gang to the possible sting. I'd just say an FBI (FIB in gta verse) was killed and maybe merely mention the fact that "another man"when was murdered.

Anyway i look forward to it. That video is directed and cut really well. You've got an eye for great shots.

PHARKIN CHERKOV
  • PHARKIN CHERKOV

Nightman Sneaky Mean

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 04:15)
I would most definately tune in but I have a little suggestion for that particular news article. If the dead cop was indeed an undercover. It would be unwise to mention that fact in the paper. In fact I wouldnt even mention he was a cop. If he were killed by a rival gang or for any other reason that would tip off the gang to the possible sting. I'd just say an FBI (FIB in gta verse) was killed and maybe merely mention the fact that "another man"when was murdered.

Anyway i look forward to it.

This was an old article I made back in 2005/2006 during the first days of roleplaying. My writing skills have developed alot more since that since I write scripts.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

If you need voicework let me know, I'm an impressionist.

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

acclimate

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

I can help write.

PHARKIN CHERKOV
  • PHARKIN CHERKOV

Nightman Sneaky Mean

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

Are you a writer though? Like professionally? I do this for a living. I'm doing a short film for next year's Tropfest. My plan is making this into a digital form of a television show.

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

acclimate

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

Are you a writer though?

Yes. I've been writing for some time now. If you want to see some of my work, go to the Writers Discussions area and check out my story titled, 'Peasant Blurs'.

Like professionally?

Depends what you mean by professionally. I take the word lightly.

I do this for a living. I'm doing a short film for next year's Tropfest. My plan is making this into a digital form of a television show.

I must say, that does sound interesting. I was working on a GTA short film a year ago but lost contact with my partner.

Shoot me a PM with the story and I'll make up a short review

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (PHARKIN CHERKOV @ Sunday, Sep 9 2012, 23:06)
Our aim is to get recognition from Rockstar games and celebrities (Gen-Y kids).

Then you are destined to fail. A project started purely with the goal of attention or recognition is going to be a terrible project - it is not going to be written well, it is not going to flow well, and it is not going to hold anyone's interest. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make a short film, but you need to make what you want to see, not what you believe others want to see. Don't bother telling me something like "but this is what I want to see," because that's already invalidated by your original statement which I have quoted here. Good projects get recognized because they are good, not because they were trying to be recognized.

Moving on, the biggest flaw I see in your idea is that it very much lacks substance. It's fine to mash all of these styles together for something like a trailer, but how do you expect it to keep the attention of your average viewer when stretching it out to the length of your average TV series? How many characters are you going to focus on? How much are you going to focus on each individual character? What reason do I have to value each individual character equally? How do you expect me to become attached to each character, to feel happy when they succeed, to feel sad when they fail?

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm trying to give you constructive criticism. By all means, I support your endeavor, but I believe you need to put a lot more thought into it before moving forward with it.

PHARKIN CHERKOV
  • PHARKIN CHERKOV

Nightman Sneaky Mean

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:05 AM Edited by PHARKIN CHERKOV, 10 September 2012 - 10:51 AM.

Then you are destined to fail. A project started purely with the goal of attention or recognition is going to be a terrible project - it is not going to be written well, it is not going to flow well, and it is not going to hold anyone's interest. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make a short film, but you need to make what you want to see, not what you believe others want to see. Don't bother telling me something like "but this is what I want to see," because that's already invalidated by your original statement which I have quoted here. Good projects get recognized because they are good, not because they were trying to be recognized.

I am making what I want to see. Thank you for your honest feedback but do you know how easy it is for me to think up ideas, write scripts? I am naturally gifted. I got this from my grandfather who was an animator, he did work on Scooby Doo and Blink Bill. I would NOT be doing if If it's something I do not want to see. I make stuff that interests me and stuff I would like to see. Your presumption is honest but is wrong. The only regconifition I'd like to get from Rockstar is something they would be fan of but that's secondary. I'm going to load it with that Rockstar humour since it's set in their world, but it'll be more of a commentary of society, a parody of it.

Moving on, the biggest flaw I see in your idea is that it very much lacks substance. It's fine to mash all of these styles together for something like a trailer, but how do you expect it to keep the attention of your average viewer when stretching it out to the length of your average TV series? How many characters are you going to focus on? How much are you going to focus on each individual character? What reason do I have to value each individual character equally? How do you expect me to become attached to each character, to feel happy when they succeed, to feel sad when they fail?

You don't know anything about the storylines I have planned so you cannot honestly say it lacks substance simply for the fact you know nothing about it. It took me about three hours to edit that trailer to find the right music. I want to draw you in with the atmosphere and I feel like the trailer and newspaper article shows that. Until you know more of the story, you cannot really judge it until you see what we have planned.

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm trying to give you constructive criticism. By all means, I support your endeavor, but I believe you need to put a lot more thought into it before moving forward with it.

I'm doing it, thank you though for your feedback. Much love. I am an artist, I'll leave you with a web comic I've done.

user posted image

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (PHARKIN CHERKOV @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 05:19)
This was an old article I made back in 2005/2006 during the first days of roleplaying. My writing skills have developed alot more since that since I write scripts.

Why would you use something you wrote perhaps seven years ago as a sample of your work, when you yourself claim that you've written better things since then? Surely you can provide a more recent sample that will serve as a better indication of your work, no?

Are you a writer though? Like professionally? I do this for a living. I'm doing a short film for next year's Tropfest. My plan is making this into a digital form of a television show.

That's cool! What have you been paid to write? I'd love to see your work.

You don't know anything about the storylines I have planned so you cannot honestly say it lacks substance simply for the fact you know nothing about it. It took me about three hours to edit that trailer to find the right music. I want to draw you in with the atmosphere and I feel like the trailer and newspaper article shows that. Until you know more of the story, you cannot really judge it until you see what we have planned.

Perhaps Pat is referring to what could be identified as a lack of substance within the trailer itself, as opposed to the future story arcs. It all just seems like a random mashup of various violent acts, car chases, gunfights etc. There doesn't seem to be a discernible style or character flowing through it, and it's awfully long and drawn out considering that it's supposed to be a teaser giving a hint of this world. I obviously can't speak for Pat, but I think this might be what he's getting at.

I'd love to see where you take this, though, and to hear your plans for how it will all come together. It's an intriguing concept!

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (PHARKIN CHERKOV @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 05:05)
do you know how easy it is for me to think up ideas, write scripts? I am naturally gifted. I got this from my grandfather who was an animator, he did work on Scooby Doo and Blink Bill.

I'm not trying to offend you, but I very honestly could not care less. I'm trying to give you criticism for your ideas, not you personally. You can tell me you're a natural born artist until you're blue in the face, but it's not going to change my feelings on your prompt.

Your presumption is honest but is wrong. The only regconifition I'd like to get from Rockstar is something they would be fan of but that's secondary.

I apologize, but every project I have seen that has started with the goal of recognition has inevitably failed. Naturally, any future projects I see that mention recognition as a goal are going to make me very skeptical.

You don't know anything about the storylines I have planned so you cannot honestly say it lacks substance simply for the fact you know nothing about it.

And that's why I asked you about it. I asked how you plan to keep my attention, how many characters you have planned, how you plan to flesh out each character, how you plan to give them depth, and you gave me no answer. As Eminence said, my "lack of substance" comment was indeed related to the trailer - note that I said "related," however, not directly targeted at it. Based on what you have described and what I have seen from your trailer, I can only assume that your series will be in a similar style to the trailer itself. As I said, that kind of style is fine for a trailer, but for a full-length series I do not think it would have very much substance. There's too much going on, it's far too busy, and because of this many of your characters will be very shallow. Again, this is running on the assumption that your series is planned to be similar to your trailer.

I want to draw you in with the atmosphere and I feel like the trailer and newspaper article shows that.

It's fine if you use atmosphere to draw me in, but you need other components to keep me drawn in. Otherwise, you will have many people who watch one episode, get bored, and never return to the series. And I don't want that any more than you do.

Until you know more of the story, you cannot really judge it until you see what we have planned.

Then tell me more of the story. If you did not post this topic expecting constructive criticism, then you were being very naive.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

I think the concerns posted here are completely valid, and as an artist (verbal, written, etc) it is an unwritten rule that others will always question your work. If you are not able to receive, analyze, and use criticism you will not make it long in the industry. Honestly, I haven't seen any of your work besides that 7 year old article, the youtube trailer, and the comic that I didn't understand at all (probably flew over my head).

My advice to you is to forget about your grandfather and your "gift." The only difference between talent and hard work is that talent doesn't work hard. Pave your own way and make a name for yourself. Nobody is going to take a second look at you just because you knew a guy. Put in the hard work, make this project something you would be proud of. Something you enjoy creating and love seeing other people enjoy watching it. Don't shun others because they don't do this professionally. It's that type of attitude that makes today's music, tv, and movies so stagnant and repetitive. Anyway good luck man.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 21:35)
the comic that I didn't understand at all (probably flew over my head).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused by that.

I must ask, are you the user named Placid94? I only ask because in the description of the video it says:

Original video created by Placid94.
View the original here:

All credit where credit is due to the roleplayers who took part in the original
trailer. No copyright infringement intended. A look inside our little digital city of
Los Santos, with our little digital characters with our little grand digital
storylines.

The bit that interests me is "No copyright infringement intended". If you were that user then surely the video would belong to you therefore there'd be no need to worry about copyright. It seems as though you have taken the video, put some other music on it and made it black and white. If that's all you have done then why, amongst many other questions, did it take you three hours?

Perhaps I'm wrong (I sincerely hope I am) but it just seems a bit odd to me.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:00 PM Edited by ryuclan, 10 September 2012 - 10:14 PM.

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 20:58)
QUOTE (ryuclan @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 21:35)
the comic that I didn't understand at all (probably flew over my head).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused by that.

I really tried to understand it.

I'm assuming this guy is also "foolishartist" (benefit of the doubt) and an image search brought me to this post on a MK forum. Hoping to shed some light on the comic (its really bothering me that I am so oblivious to what's going on) I read the accompanying post and it didn't help.

Updated. Check it out. My idea for Sub Zero is for him to look like a ninja, no blue front mask just completely black. He would use black majik to summon ice. He would be used a dark blue shoulder pad-type vest over the outfit.

Scorpion's outfit is similar to this, however he uses a yellow vest. This would be his way to mock Sub Zero's failed attempt on his life. The yellow represents the fire he survived. Beneath the mask, his face is quite scarred. Lack of eyebrows, patches of hair. You would see his face as he would reveal it to Sub in their battle. Sub Zero initially has no idea who Scorpion is and why this man is after him until it's revealed it's Hanzo. It would a fun little twist.

Turning this into an official web comic. You can follow me on reddit, my username is foolishartist.

Here's something from a web comic I'm doing. Enjoy!

And if you are foolishartist then I assume that you also have a MK story going:

Before you read: This is just my re-imagining and take on the Mortal Kombat mythos. My aim is to ground it a bit. A heightened reality but I will still maintain the fantasy elements and even expand on that.

Quick summary on what I'm going to cover

Liu Kang as a rebellious Shaolin warrior (full head of hair through up until the third act, who then gets back to his roots by shaving his head, Monk-style in honor of Kung Lao.

Sonya Burke, nicknamed by "Blade" by her agency partners. The name "Blade" is more of a rib from her partners as a joke as she would be well-versed in knife combat. Going for a more grounded approach here.

Kano, an American/Japanese mercenary.

Hanzo as the mysterious "Sasori" or Scorpion, however you prefer.

Sub Zero as a ninja assassin who belongs to an ancient clan who has mastered the dark arts of Outworld sorcery allowing him to summon ice.
    Reptile as a chaotic distorted reptilian being. He wears as a mask that allows him to breathe in Earth's oxygen. This is because he is from a hellish realm other than Outworld.

Goro as a primary antagonist. Think Hardy's Bane except nine feet tall and well-versed in Outworld martial arts.

The Great Kung Lao and of course Raiden and Shang Tsung.

I will continually update this. I'm writing the opening in Final Draft or will probably do an unofficial web comic series and will post that. Would you guys like to me to continue on with this?

The tournament is held on Tsung's island. These spectators have seen Goro once or twice before as they're pretty much Tsung's servants and bitches, these servants were once Shaolins too but became corrupted by Shang. Tsung is pretty much God on this little island. The film would open up on the fight between Lao and Goro, Lao has never seen Goro until he makes his entrance. This would be his first sighting of something he has never seen before

The only characters I have planned are Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Sonya. Her name "Blade" is a nickname amongst her and her agency brethren. Kano would be half American, half Japanese who has both his eyes until... Sonya brutally "knifes" his eye out which leads to him wearing an eye patch through out the remainder of the film.

Sub Zero (he would actually be known by his Chinese name in the script) and Hanzo have a side story going on which would be done in a flashback sequence where we see Sub kill Hanzo's family and leave him in to be buried in the fire.

Hanzo would then become Sasori or "The Scorpion" to westerners (like Cage). Raiden would be an elderly Asian mentor-type who looks like a beggar. Reptile would be spy for Tsung, a reptilian-type creature from Outworld. Very chaotic and psychotic (think a mixture between the Joker and Carnage), he would wear a mask that would allow him to breathe in the Earth's air as it would be foreign to him but would be completely naked.

This was posted last month, so it looks like you've got your hands full... confused.gif

Post from MK Forums

Judging from the fact that there is only one page of discussion and there was never an update on the project I assume you've ditched it. Anyway good luck I guess.

PHARKIN CHERKOV
  • PHARKIN CHERKOV

Nightman Sneaky Mean

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:24 PM Edited by PHARKIN CHERKOV, 10 September 2012 - 10:29 PM.

That was more of a wishlist for a film than anything else. That MK post was made when I was absolutely drunk. It's so hilarious looking back at how IN-DEPTH I get with it it all. The LS-RP project is up in the air at the moment, guys. It depends on the guys over at LS-RP. If they like it, I'll do it for them. If not, I'll stick to real world stuff like short films and scriptwriting. Yes, I'm that foolish guy.

I am an artist. Scriptwriter. Pursueing filmmaker.

You can read one of my scripts, hit me up for a PM for pdf. That's how I make my bread and butter.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (PHARKIN CHERKOV @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 23:24)
Yes, I'm that foolish guy.

So are you also Placid94?

Also, for the sake of our sanity, ryuclan and I, could you please shed some light as to what that comic is about?

PHARKIN CHERKOV
  • PHARKIN CHERKOV

Nightman Sneaky Mean

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:37 PM Edited by PHARKIN CHERKOV, 10 September 2012 - 10:41 PM.

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 22:33)
Yes, I'm that foolish guy.

So are you also Placid94?

Also, for the sake of our sanity, ryuclan and I, could you please shed some light as to what that comic is about?

Not Placid94, I really edited his video together with my style in about ten minues not three hours, silly me.

No problems, the comic was a first set of panels I did. It was to be about six pages set apart in three issues. Unfortunately, I lost all the original sheets so I have to do them all again which I haven't had the time to yet.

It's a web comic sort of like Kick Ass set in future New Zealand (Neo Zealand). The guy in the helmet is a gang member and then there's the Cop remarking, "Skinning sheep. Animal", "Time for that mugshot", "que pic of actual shot of a mug" - sort of my style and joke within a joke. I was making going to finish that so I could sell it for some cheddar and shop it to some comic industry types but lost the originals sheets. sad.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (PHARKIN CHERKOV @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 23:37)
"que pic of actual shot of a mug"

That's about the only part I got.

Anyway, I'll try once again, are you Placid94?

PHARKIN CHERKOV
  • PHARKIN CHERKOV

Nightman Sneaky Mean

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

Already been answered, dude. Why are you so concerned about who I am? Bit strange.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (PHARKIN CHERKOV @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 22:37)
"que pic of actual shot of a mug"

Cue notify.gif

Also he said it wasn't his. He edited it

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (PHARKIN CHERKOV @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 23:51)
Already been answered, dude. Why are you so concerned about who I am? Bit strange.

I only asked again as you hadn't answered until you edited. As for my concern with who you are being strange, I find it strange that you somehow confused ten minutes with three hours.

PHARKIN CHERKOV
  • PHARKIN CHERKOV

Nightman Sneaky Mean

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 23:06)
QUOTE (PHARKIN CHERKOV @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 23:51)

I only asked again as you hadn't answered until you edited. As for my concern with who you are being strange, I find it strange that you somehow confused ten minutes with three hours.

Well, when you're in the process of editing, ten minutes can feel like a few hours to me atleast. I think I was referring to finding suitable music, creating the end graphic in photoshop and syncing it together but yeah ten minutes, call me silly.

How old are you btw? Bit weird arguing over something so pointless unless you're just one of those guys who just likes arguing over nothing.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm not arguing, man. I was just curious. If my posts come across as aggressive then simply ignore that. I just question things a lot.

All I wanted to know was if the original video was yours or not. Now that I know it isn't, it strikes me as strange to put "A new style of directing" as the first thing you say. You directed nothing in that video. Perhaps I have missed the point of what you were trying to say but, on your part, it's worded as if to say you made it. Anyway, I'm going to leave this be. Good luck with your endeavors, man.

PHARKIN CHERKOV
  • PHARKIN CHERKOV

Nightman Sneaky Mean

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

No problems, man. The video was edited together to give you an idea of what I'd be doing. It was simply made to be quick and fast to give people an idea of that directing style, that's all. smile.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (PHARKIN CHERKOV @ Monday, Sep 10 2012, 19:09)
How old are you btw?

Are you like 12? You kind of sound like you are 12.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:33 AM

You can read one of my scripts, hit me up for a PM for pdf. That's how I make my bread and butter.

So once again: you get paid to write?

PHARKIN CHERKOV
  • PHARKIN CHERKOV

Nightman Sneaky Mean

• Members

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

Yeah, I get paid. I'm 26 by the way, chill, trip. There's no need to get mad.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

Trust me...I'm not mad.

Maybe it is just a mix of your avatar and the voice I have assigned to your posts.

Good luck with the project. I'm on Pat's side - do it for the love and not the recognition.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (PHARKIN CHERKOV @ Tuesday, Sep 11 2012, 02:39)
Yeah, I get paid. I'm 26 by the way, chill, trip. There's no need to get mad.

That's pretty awesome. What sort of stuff have you sold? Had anything made?

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

☛✔Goals Achieved: 1/1☚

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

What's the SA-MP server?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users