Quantcast

» «
Photo

Its not coming out until November for sure!

305 replies to this topic
Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

Another well said post, nice one Msharingan

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:12 PM Edited by Raynos, 05 September 2012 - 02:14 PM.

QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 08:50)
Not like every other GTA game genius. And you can NEVER make the intended amount of money in such a short amount of time.

GTA IV. First week, $500K
Rockstar predicting $650K
GTA V is bigger than GTA IV. Thus $650K in a week would be highly likely..
EDIT. There are also 4 times as many consoles NOW than there was when GTA IV launched. Lets say half of those were replacements. That leaves twice as many consoles.
Obviously the sales wont scale exactly to this number but estimating a 25% increase in sales is not ludicrous

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Msharingan @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 12:12)
The idea that GTA V would come out this year is ... well, it's silly.

Masterfocker, your points are utter nonsense. GTA V will not come out this year, I am sure even you know this. This is why I am baffled by your arguments to the contrary.

I am overthinking this? Well you are underthinking it, severly. The idea that Rockstar could drop GTA V into this holiday season and still leave triumphant is a flawed one. It is true that historically the GTA series has 'owned' October, but GTA IV did not fill that slot. Rockstar have transitioned into May, and that is now their 'month'. You want GTA V to come out in a few months time. I also want it to, but I am resigned to the fact that IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. Applying even the smallest bit of thought to the matter will show you this.

This would be one of the worst marketing campaigns for a AAA game ever. Rockstar aren't Apple. They can't announce something officially (boxart, trailers, magazine covers) then have it release within a month. They are a big company, but they can't afford to be experimental with GTA. "Hey, maybe people don't need a long marketing campaign. Let's save money and start our marketing campaign last minute"? Nope, not going to happen. Although you might still buy GTA V if it released next month, there are tons of players (more casual Grand Theft Auto fans) who will be content with the many, many other titles they have already been sold (through marketing campaigns that started months ago). That might not be anyone on these forums, but they do exist.

San Andreas was released in October, 2004. In terms of competition it had Halo 2 (an Xbox exclusive, and therefore not comeptition) and Metal Gear Solid 3 (a game that released a month later). It done phenomenally, hot of the heels of Vice City selling 12 million copies by March of the following year. GTA V will still sell in the millions whenever it releases, but April worked for them with GTA IV. There are many reasons why they might go back to October, but 'because they have done it in the past' is not one of them. They could try to get space in the already crowded holiday season, but in now way will that benefit them.

Oh, I didn't know you knew R*'s marketing plan. Oh, wait, you don't!? So you don't know if they'll have a short marketing campaign or not? That's what I thought.

The reason GTA 4, and other games after it, has not filled that slot is because of delays and them being new IP's. Do you remember how GTA 4 was originally supposed to come out in October? And for those other games, RDR, etc. Do you think those would stand a chance in the holiday season? Absolutely not. It's not name-brand like Grand Theft Auto. That's why they released in Spring.

Oh, and who said anything about within a month? They start marketing this month, they have 2-3 months to shove the game down people's throats. You're telling me that's not enough? You're saying R* will miss out on the holiday rush, a time for godly sales, because they don't have enough time? That's just idiotic. They'd have Christmas, on top of 2013, to keep advertising and selling the game. Remember, games keep getting advertised after it's out. A lot of people on here seem to forget that.

Also, I don't think you seem to remember R* saying they don't want to show a lot of the game off. If you can't understand what that means, it translates to: "We're not gonna have a long marketing campaign."

All these arguments about not showing enough about the game yet is just utterly stupid and bullsh*t.

2013ers, please find a new argument.

Beez
  • Beez

Given To Fly

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

I just wish R* would give a release date so these endless boring threads would die.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (Raynos @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 14:12)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 08:50)
Not like every other GTA game genius. And you can NEVER make the intended amount of money in such a short amount of time.

GTA IV. First week, $500K
Rockstar predicting $650K
GTA V is bigger than GTA IV. Thus $650K in a week would be highly likely..
EDIT. There are also 4 times as many consoles NOW than there was when GTA IV launched. Lets say half of those were replacements. That leaves twice as many consoles.
Obviously the sales wont scale exactly to this number but estimating a 25% increase in sales is not ludicrous

But that $500k doesn't all go to R*, does it? They need to pay the marketing, extra costs I can't remember, etc. That's not R*'s profit, that's just how much the game earned.

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 14:27)
But that $500k doesn't all go to R*, does it? They need to pay the marketing, extra costs I can't remember, etc. That's not R*'s profit, that's just how much the game earned.

Yeah, true, it's hard to say if when Take2 said that they made over $500mil in the first week, if they took into account the publishing costs.
The "income" or "profit" has always been very low, this is just how big companies do business.
Income/Profit = Everything, every expense,wages, bonus', shareholder dividends minus Revenue.

When Take2 forecast their earnings, they are predicting revenue, this is the interesting number, this is where shareholders get their money from.
Profit merely gets carried over to the next years opening balance.

Anyways. If you look at the financials for Take2.
GTA IV. Launched on the last day of the 2nd Quarter, due to the delay. It was meant to launch at the end of their fiscal year.
Anyways. in 1 day. April 29, the revenue it generated for Take2 was around $300MIL.
Pre-sales, store stock.
Thats in 1 day.
Expecting $650 for 1 week, based of that number is just common sense.

If GTA V get released anytime this year, it will have 3+ months to gather "Revenue". In 3 months, GTA V will easily generate more than $650MIL Revenue.
Last week of march seems to be the most logical.

Disclaimer: These are just based of estimates and personal interpretation. Nothing is Rock solid. E.G Me holding a gun to my head and saying if I pull the trigger, I will die.. However, The bullet could be a dud. Same sense here.

MotjoBoss
  • MotjoBoss

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

This is good news! When I'm done with the games that come out in november I can put all my focus on GTAV.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Raynos @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 14:50)
QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 14:27)

Yeah, true, it's hard to say if when Take2 said that they made over $500mil in the first week, if they took into account the publishing costs.
The "income" or "profit" has always been very low, this is just how big companies do business.
Income/Profit = Everything, every expense,wages, bonus', shareholder dividends minus Revenue.

When Take2 forecast their earnings, they are predicting revenue, this is the interesting number, this is where shareholders get their money from.
Profit merely gets carried over to the next years opening balance.

Anyways. If you look at the financials for Take2.
GTA IV. Launched on the last day of the 2nd Quarter, due to the delay. It was meant to launch at the end of their fiscal year.
Anyways. in 1 day. April 29, the revenue it generated for Take2 was around $300MIL.
Pre-sales, store stock.
Thats in 1 day.
Expecting $650 for 1 week, based of that number is just common sense.

If GTA V get released anytime this year, it will have 3+ months to gather "Revenue". In 3 months, GTA V will easily generate more than $650MIL Revenue.
Last week of march seems to be the most logical.

Disclaimer: These are just based of estimates and personal interpretation. Nothing is Rock solid. E.G Me holding a gun to my head and saying if I pull the trigger, I will die.. However, The bullet could be a dud. Same sense here.

Yes, but a release in 2012 would leave those predictions in the dust. After disappointing stockholders for months, would you rather perfectly meet the predictions, and keep them moderately happy, or exceed those predictions by a lot, and have stockholders ecstatic? I think we both know the answer to that colgate.gif

Besides, companies never go to only match predictions. They always try to exceed them. Yes, GTA 5 could make the amount of money needed in a week or so, but why would they do that? Why would they only match that, when they can release even 1 month earlier and make so much more and exceed all expectations?

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:23)
They start marketing this month, they have 2-3 months to shove the game down people's throats. You're telling me that's not enough?

I would say yeah, that's not enough time to relay information to publications across the world and have the information sink in and reach the biggest possible audience. The 4-8 month range is a tried and tested marketing time that balances having a good presence in people's minds (so they don't forget) while not overexposing the game (or 'revealing too much'). Apart from a single quote where Houser says he wants to reveal less information there's nothing to suggest that Rockstar is going to do a short marketing campaign. They could spend 1 month just talking about radio stations if they wanted to.

This year's biggest games are coming out over the next few weeks, all of them with big marketing campaigns, release dates, special editions, platforms announced and plenty of info. Call of Duty is the biggest game franchise out there, but it's still being heavily marketed because of the simple fact that it sells more copies. If Rockstar isn't sure of a release date by now, then development clearly isn't essentially complete (as it would need to be by now). If they were sure the game was going to hit a November deadline (for example), they would have at least announced "November" by now, I'm really quite confident of that.

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:11 PM Edited by Raynos, 05 September 2012 - 03:14 PM.

QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:01)
Yes, GTA 5 could make the amount of money needed in a week or so, but why would they do that? Why would they only match that, when they can release even 1 month earlier and make so much more and exceed all expectations?

Well. Problem with "exceeding" expectations is your income goes too high and you end up paying more tax this year that you can not claim back next year.
Another thing, Wonder why Take2 like to release GTAs at the end of their fiscal year?
Well, it spreads their Revenue over 2 years.
Now, for a shareholder, what would be better? One very good year followed by a lackluster year?
Or 2 better than average years with positive stock values?

If Rockstar release GTA V in the last week of March 2013, they will not only bump up Fiscal 2013 (April 2012 - March 2013), they will also give Fiscal 2014 (April 2013 to March 2014) a significant boost.

This will keep shareholders happy as a goat on a vegan farm.

EDIT.
It is also very interesting to take note from Forum Leaders here, they all seem to point towards next year March.
I have a fishy feeling that these guys know ALOT more than they're letting on. Yes. I am watching you, you gnomes!

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Raynos @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:11)
Yes, GTA 5 could make the amount of money needed in a week or so, but why would they do that? Why would they only match that, when they can release even 1 month earlier and make so much more and exceed all expectations?

Well. Problem with "exceeding" expectations is your income goes too high and you end up paying more tax this year that you can not claim back next year.
Another thing, Wonder why Take2 like to release GTAs at the end of their fiscal year?
Now, for a shareholder, what would be better? One very good year followed by a lackluster year?

If Rockstar release GTA V in the last week of March 2013, they will not only bump up Fiscal 2013 (April 2012 - March 2013), they will also give Fiscal 2014 (April 2013 to March 2014) a significant boost.

EDIT.
It is also very interesting to take note from Forum Leaders here, they all seem to point towards next year March.
I have a fishy feeling that these guys know ALOT more than they're letting on. Yes. I am watching you, you gnomes!

Nah, it's just cause 2012ers, like me, are a minority.

Allmyexesliveintexas
  • Allmyexesliveintexas

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Im leading more towards a March release.

Why would you only boost 1 Fyear if you can easily boost 2 Years.

Dick Justice
  • Dick Justice

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:29 PM Edited by man dragon, 05 September 2012 - 03:31 PM.

EDIT.

I can tell you first hand that this is not the case. This is a fansite and the people who run it know as much as you or I. The difference being, they have been following Rockstar's formulas and tendencies for over 10 years, so they know what is up.

At this point, everyone who is saying 2012 is just being optimistic. There's nothing to support a 2012 release outside of the hopes and dreams of the young.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (man dragon @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:29)
EDIT.

I can tell you first hand that this is not the case. This is a fansite and the people who run it know as much as you or I. The difference being, they have been following Rockstar's formulas and tendencies for over 10 years, so they know what is up.

At this point, everyone who is saying 2012 is just being optimistic. There's nothing to support a 2012 release outside of the hopes and dreams of the young.

There's nothing to support 2012 outside of hopes and dreams?

You're obviously very ignorant then

Cock&Balls
  • Cock&Balls

Dipped in bread crumbs

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Ok, this was last years calendar... As you can see, it was from Oct.-Dec 2011. The Events went every quarter of the year before this as well. As you will see, it was the Max Payne 3 delay and R* not wanting people to know it was delayed before they announced it was delayed, is what threw the Calendar off.

user posted image

And this is the beginning of 2012 Event Calendar, it only has Jan.-Feb. This is due to the fact that Max Payne 3 was going to come out March 5th... they knew it was going to delay, so they didnt put March in there so no-one would know it was going to delay. ( I didnt realize it at the time that this happened, but it makes sense now that I looked at it.)

user posted image

Here is the Spring 2012 Event Calendar... It has March through the very first of June... and June is continued on the "Summer 2012" Calendar.

user posted image

Here we have the Summer 2012 Calendar...

user posted image

So... anyone saying "Dec. is not Fall to R*" can stop and those asking "why is December not included...?" can see that The Max Payne 3 Delay threw the Calendar off a month.

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:21)
Nah, it's just cause 2012ers, like me, are a minority.

Well, anything is possible, so 2012 could happen, however, I think it's very unlikely but really, what do I know? I'm just guessing..
Earlier this year, I was thinking October 2013, yes, 2013. Then i did some digging around and changed my estimate to March 2013.

That might be the case, I'm just speculating. Adrian has even met Rockstar staff, so even though, yes, this is a Fansite. Some people do have more knowledge about the inner workings of Rockstar.
I've only been following Rockstar since GTA 3, I knew nothing about GTA 3, had heard of GTA 2, Didn't like it, Top Down view just wasnt for me.
Dad bought me a PS2. Rented GTA 3, played non stop for 14 hours. Next day, bought GTA 3 and have bought anything GTA related since.

Came to these forums when Vice City was announced, had another username, have no clue what it was..

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Raynos @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 11:11)

EDIT.

It's not a coincidence really, just that 2013 guys know common sense

Dick Justice
  • Dick Justice

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:43 PM Edited by man dragon, 05 September 2012 - 03:45 PM.

QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:36)
EDIT.

There's nothing to support 2012 outside of hopes and dreams?

You're obviously very ignorant then

I have taken in all of the comments on financials and if anything they support an early 2013 release. Please, tell me how I am being ignorant. What other evidence have you got?

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Knife @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:04)
The 4-8 month range is a tried and tested marketing time that balances having a good presence in people's minds (so they don't forget) while not overexposing the game (or 'revealing too much'). Apart from a single quote where Houser says he wants to reveal less information there's nothing to suggest...

Like you said the 4-8 months range is a tried and tested marketing. What would you say, what's more risky? To test a short marketing campaign on a huge AAA-title like GTA V or on a new IP?
I would say a new IP would be killed with a short marketing campaign but a game ffrom a gaming series that already existed since 15 years wouldn't be killed. By the way...

QUOTE (Rockstar Games @ Thursday, Jul 12 2012, 09:53)
...we want to make sure we only release 100% correct information, and because we want to keep plenty back for the actual game release so there are still lots of surprises when you play it.

I'm not saying that a 2012 release is fact. Remember that.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Johacamigames @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:38)

EDIT.

You know, I hope it releases in 2012, just so I can laugh in your face for being an arrogant asshole. I might do that anyway, if it doesn't release in the month you thought.

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 11:45)

EDIT.

You know, I hope it releases in 2012, just so I can laugh in your face for being an arrogant asshole. I might do that anyway, if it doesn't release in the month you thought.

I'll do the same if we're on New Years eve with no release date yet, deal?

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Johacamigames @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:51)
QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 11:45)

EDIT.

I'll do the same if we're on New Years eve with no release date yet, deal?

No, because I've never made an estimate for a release date. I'm just a waiter. The only thing I do is believe in a 2012 release and explain how it can happen. I have not made a single prediction. However, I do get attacked all the time, and it gets f*cking annoying.

Can't make the deal without a prediction.

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:59 PM Edited by Johacamigames, 05 September 2012 - 04:03 PM.

I do remember telling you I respect your opinion for a 2012 release 24 hours ago and you were okay with it, now today you're getting mad at me for expressing my opinion? I haven't even attacked you yet nor will I plan to, maybe someone else can

edit - I'd rather take this to PM honestly, it's worthless

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Johacamigames @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:59)
I do remember telling you I respect your opinion for a 2012 release 24 hours ago and you were okay with it, now today you're getting mad at me for expressing my opinion? I haven't even attacked you yet nor will I plan to, maybe someone else can

"just that 2013 guys know common sense"

You don't see that as attacking?

JoeM
  • JoeM

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 16:01)

Maybe if he had said, 2012 believers are f*cking retards... then yes.. but he didnt..

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (JoeM @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 16:03)
QUOTE (Masterfocker @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 16:01)

Maybe if he had said, 2012 believers are f*cking retards... then yes.. but he didnt..

Oh c'mon, I know you're smart enough to know what he meant. That basically says "2012ers don't have common sense, they're stupid"

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 15:45)
QUOTE (Rockstar Games @ Thursday, Jul 12 2012, 09:53)
...we want to make sure we only release 100% correct information, and because we want to keep plenty back for the actual game release so there are still lots of surprises when you play it.

Ya know. A lot of people quote this Rockstar comment as gospel.
It is something that Rockstar have done for a while with GTA games.
There were soooo many things in GTA SA that you did not know till you played the game. Tonnes of Surprises!
There are quite a few things that people did not know about GTA IV till they played it, the Surprises keep coming.
Point I'm making? The surprises thing is nothing NEW that Rockstar are doing. Only thing new is "100% Correct Information"

So, what does this mean? Well, Rockstar do sometimes, prematurely release their release dates. Thus when delays happen, their original info becomes incorrect.
All they're saying is that when they give you a release date, they will be most certain that it will release on that date.
This does not automatically mean that they will announce the release date within 2 months of the game being released.

It just means that they will have better planning for when they announce their release date.

We will still get a sh*t load of screens and videos about GTA V, this will happen regardless, we can just assume that when this happens, the launch date is very near.

Magnet_man16
  • Magnet_man16

C# Programmer

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (BigBoyTraks @ Tuesday, Sep 4 2012, 14:18)
QUOTE (Allmyexesliveintexas @ Tuesday, Sep 4 2012, 14:05)
we can finally stop the 2012 vs 2013

GTAV IS NOT COMING OUT THIS YEAR #FACT

What was the point of the "Caps lock"?

To be used like its meant to be when adding capital letters at the beginning of sentences and before names. Also in my programming CAPS is very important. So there!. Also 1 last thing its trolls life. They probably colour it in green or red. alien.gif devil.gif

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

Nicely worded, but your argument basically winds down to: they can't do it, because they've never done it before, and nobody has ever done it before. Then at the end you turn it on it's head and use it as an argument against an october release.

Here's some random objections to your theory:
-you act as if marketing hasn't started for V.. it started with the announcement and trailer. We've already had 12 screens and countless articles have been written about it.

-you act as if the holiday season is crowded.. but with what? Mostly niche, hardcore experiences like the stealth-actioner, the online shooter, the sports game, etc.. if you look at what's coming out, GTA has a large part of the more casual market to itself. nervous.gif
Although you might still buy GTA V if it released next month, there are tons of players (more casual Grand Theft Auto fans) who will be content with the many, many other titles they have already been sold (through marketing campaigns that started months ago).

I think the more casual GTA fan is going to be bewilderd by the amount of niche games coming out and will find nothing that offers the same bang for his/her buck as GTA would. The casual consumer is always looking for new experiences and they're not going to find them with Halo 4 or Cod 25. Shooter-fatigue is the new buzzword, all the cool kids use it. I may not be that casual GTA fan, but a lot of my friends are.. and they're not planning on buying anything this season, they bored with these consoles and want a new cycle.

-holiday sales are huge, but different from regular sales, because people buy gifts. Lots of moms buying games.. moms know GTA, they don't know Sleeping Dogs or Assasin's Creed (they probably can't even remember/spell that name.. and which of the 5 almost identical covers to choose?)

-Rockstar is a bit like Apple. Their product isn't that much different from the competition, just in terms of design, appeal, packaging and .. marketing.. GTA is the Ipod of open world gaming. Every mp3 player has to stack up against an Ipod and every open world game against GTA.. neither of them do.

-April worked for them with GTA IV.. but May was a disaster for Max Payne.

-There have been a lot of articles written recently about game marketing campaigns becoming too long and too expensive and have the added problem of driving expectations up way too high...resulting in serious backlash when the game finally ships. Look at what has happened with Bioware or Diablo 3, or ... or ... or ... You can't justify a huge budget for marketing when you're being outsold by indie games from upstart studios with little to no real marketing behind them. The traditional boxed-AAA game industry hasn't been doing all that well lately. Something has got to give.

-Also don't forget that GTA has tremendous shelf life.. if you look at the earning reports, a large chunk of TTWO's money still comes from RDR, IV & episodes. So it's not like they would have to make all their sales in the holiday season alone like most other games.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (theworldfamous @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 16:42)
Nicely worded, but your argument basically winds down to: they can't do it, because they've never done it before, and nobody has ever done it before. Then at the end you turn it on it's head and use it as an argument against an october release.

Here's some random objections to your theory:
-you act as if marketing hasn't started for V.. it started with the announcement and trailer. We've already had 12 screens and countless articles have been written about it.

-you act as if the holiday season is crowded.. but with what? Mostly niche, hardcore experiences like the stealth-actioner, the online shooter, the sports game, etc.. if you look at what's coming out, GTA has a large part of the more casual market to itself. nervous.gif
Although you might still buy GTA V if it released next month, there are tons of players (more casual Grand Theft Auto fans) who will be content with the many, many other titles they have already been sold (through marketing campaigns that started months ago).

I think the more casual GTA fan is going to be bewilderd by the amount of niche games coming out and will find nothing that offers the same bang for his/her buck as GTA would. The casual consumer is always looking for new experiences and they're not going to find them with Halo 4 or Cod 25. Shooter-fatigue is the new buzzword, all the cool kids use it. I may not be that casual GTA fan, but a lot of my friends are.. and they're not planning on buying anything this season, they bored with these consoles and want a new cycle.

-holiday sales are huge, but different from regular sales, because people buy gifts. Lots of moms buying games.. moms know GTA, they don't know Sleeping Dogs or Assasin's Creed (they probably can't even remember/spell that name.. and which of the 5 almost identical covers to choose?)

-Rockstar is a bit like Apple. Their product isn't that much different from the competition, just in terms of design, appeal, packaging and .. marketing.. GTA is the Ipod of open world gaming. Every mp3 player has to stack up against an Ipod and every open world game against GTA.. neither of them do.

-April worked for them with GTA IV.. but May was a disaster for Max Payne.

-There have been a lot of articles written recently about game marketing campaigns becoming too long and too expensive and have the added problem of driving expectations up way too high...resulting in serious backlash when the game finally ships. Look at what has happened with Bioware or Diablo 3, or ... or ... or ... You can't justify a huge budget for marketing when you're being outsold by indie games from upstart studios with little to no real marketing behind them. The traditional boxed-AAA game industry hasn't been doing all that well lately. Something has got to give.

-Also don't forget that GTA has tremendous shelf life.. if you look at the earning reports, a large chunk of TTWO's money still comes from RDR, IV & episodes. So it's not like they would have to make all their sales in the holiday season alone like most other games.

Nice icon14.gif

You basically said everything I didn't in my post biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users