Quantcast

» «
Photo

Subtitled Radio Stations

63 replies to this topic

Poll: Subtitled Radio Stations (310 member(s) have cast votes)

Subtitled Radio Stations

1. Yes (115 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. No (106 votes [35.45%])

Percentage of vote: 35.45%

3. Don't care (78 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Loste1
  • Loste1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:54 AM

Okay, but you people seem to forget that sometimes there is dialogue between characters in the car (for example during activities), how would they separate the radio subtitles from chatter subtitles and make it not messy and confusing?

And plus, with subtitles for the radios it would really breaks the immersion imo because they're suppose to feel real like you're really listening to the radio.

Just my opinion.

Colonel_Buttfuck
  • Colonel_Buttfuck

Destroyer Of Worlds

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:12 AM

68 people voted no. What kind of mental retardation makes one do such a foolish thing?

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Sunday, Sep 2 2012, 03:42)
Interesting poll results so far.

confused.gif I was voting Yes.. but somehow, It ended up on NO.
I wonder if that is the reason why there are so many NO votes.

An optional addition should never receive so many negative votes. Very weird, I guess we aren't Pro Choice here.
Same goes for so many topics regarding optional items. It's a blatant NO.

OT.
Yes yes yes. Why not. I use them for the GTA IV for the missions etc, Sometimes it's just a better way to confirm what Jacob was saying.

yoshiandluigi3
  • yoshiandluigi3

modder.

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

I don't see the point in it myself, but that's probably because I can hear just fine. I guess for the deaf people this would be good, but for me it would be annoying...

dr00gy
  • dr00gy

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

I'll state again that anybody who votes no or has voted no is a nasty, selfish bastard. Quite frankly I am disgusted at how many people have voted no & that no has outnumbered yes. How would you like it if I voted to not have any audio because 'I'd find it annoying' or 'it'd take up disk space' or 'I won't use it'?

You're selfish for not giving the people that need it the choice to use it. If you don't want to use it, turn it off. Simple as that. It's unfair to not have the option at all just because you won't use it even though others will.

yoshiandluigi3
  • yoshiandluigi3

modder.

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE (dr00gy @ Monday, Sep 3 2012, 04:43)
I'll state again that anybody who votes no or has voted no is a nasty, selfish bastard. Quite frankly I am disgusted at how many people have voted no & that no has outnumbered yes. How would you like it if I voted to not have any audio because 'I'd find it annoying' or 'it'd take up disk space' or 'I won't use it'?

You're selfish for not giving the people that need it the choice to use it. If you don't want to use it, turn it off. Simple as that. It's unfair to not have the option at all just because you won't use it even though others will.

Hey. Calm down. No need for those profanities. It's peoples opinions on what they want and what they don't want in a GTA game. You are being way to overreactive.

btw, I voted yes to this suggestion.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:49 AM

I'm REALLY surprised that "No" has the lead. Doesn't anyone consider that subtitles are mainly for the deaf? Do you really think it's fair that they have to miss out on the funny talk radio stations? Music is a whole other story, but there's really no reason why the talk shows can't have subtitles. This is WAY overdue.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:49 AM

Well has I voted... I don't care... But I don't think it would be a so good idea... It could be interfering with mission subtitles... Don't you think?

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE (dr00gy @ Saturday, Sep 1 2012, 21:11)
I'm deaf so I have subtitles on constantly on TV, films & games. The subtitles in GTA IV weren't very good for me because they only helped in cutscenes but outside of cutscenes, I had no audio cues at all.

Anybody that votes no in this is selfish. Having it as an option won't negatively affect anybody but it'll provide a huge amount of assistance to those who need it.

I agree. I'm really sorry to hear that you had trouble with IV. You have my full support for more subtitles. I'm still shocked to see "No" has the lead.

sattizahn
  • sattizahn

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE (yoshiandluigi3 @ Monday, Sep 3 2012, 04:46)
QUOTE (dr00gy @ Monday, Sep 3 2012, 04:43)

Hey. Calm down. No need for those profanities. It's peoples opinions on what they want and what they don't want in a GTA game. You are being way to overreactive.

btw, I voted yes to this suggestion.

Dear Diary: Today I learned that people have very, very strong opinions about subtitle options in non-released videogames.

Seriously. People need to calm. Down.

dr00gy
  • dr00gy

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:54 AM Edited by dr00gy, 03 September 2012 - 04:56 AM.

My responses to some of the reasons for voting no:

'It'll take up disk space'
Text takes up hardly any space at all & this is a stupid reason. So what if it takes up space if people will find it useful? Audio takes up a lot more space &, since I don't use it, why wouldn't I want it removed? Because other people would use it & I'm not selfish.

'It'd be annoying'
Turn it off then since it should be an option just like subtitles are.

'I don't see the point'
It helps deaf people & people who struggle to understand spoken English.

'It'll interfere with missions'
Just like on tele, speech is a lot more important than radio so only the speech will be shown instead of the radio when need-be. Just like you can't interpret both the radio & the characters speaking at the same time, deaf folk can't read both at the same time.

@OP: please include this in your OP to allow people to open their minds a bit.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:01 AM Edited by whatsstrength, 03 September 2012 - 05:20 AM.

I have to say, when people say that it will use up "too much disc space" I just laugh my ass off. A well-written essay about 5 pages long is barely over 1MB. This could vary greatly depending on font size, font type, etc...

For example, I just went on Notepad and typed 50 FULL rows of the letter "m" and it only used 4.63Kb .
Judging by that, if I multiplied that by roughly 221.16, I'd get 1MB. That means I could have 11,058 full rows of the letter "m" in just 1MB.

Each row of "m"s had about 93 letters. 1 letter is one byte. So in those 50 rows, I had around 4650 letters. The average word is about 4 letters. I could have 1162.5 words out of those 50 rows. And once again, multiplying by 221.16.... you could have 257098.5 words in 1MB.

Disc space is NOT AN ISSUE.

dr00gy
  • dr00gy

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Monday, Sep 3 2012, 06:01)
I have to say, when people say that it will use up "too much disc space" I just laugh my ass off. A well-written essay about 5 pages long is barely over 1MB. Judging by IV's script, that probably would have been a little under 512MB. But this is an ESTIMATE. Text uses VERY little space.

For example, I just went on Notepad and typed 50 FULL rows of the letter "m" and it only used 4.63Kb .
Judging by that, if I multiplied that by 200, I'd get 1MB. That means I could have 10,000 full rows of the letter "m" in just 1MB.

One letter = 1 byte. Try it. Type 10 letters into notepad, save it & check the size. You're right; not wanting it because of the disk space is a completely ridiculous 'reason'.

Btw, thanks for your support. It's nice to know that not everybody is blind to other people in the world & that some people are actually aware of deafness.

grandola
  • grandola

Southern Comfort

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:10 AM

If it was included, of course it would have an on/off option, so I voted yes.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE (dr00gy @ Monday, Sep 3 2012, 00:02)
QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Monday, Sep 3 2012, 06:01)
I have to say, when people say that it will use up "too much disc space" I just laugh my ass off. A well-written essay about 5 pages long is barely over 1MB. Judging by IV's script, that probably would have been a little under 512MB. But this is an ESTIMATE. Text uses VERY little space.

Judging by that, if I multiplied that by 200, I'd get 1MB. That means I could have 10,000 full rows of the letter "m" in just 1MB.

One letter = 1 byte. Try it. Type 10 letters into notepad, save it & check the size. You're right; not wanting it because of the disk space is a completely ridiculous 'reason'.

Btw, thanks for your support. It's nice to know that not everybody is blind to other people in the world & that some people are actually aware of deafness.

No problem. I actually edited my post to be more accurate. I was a little fuzzy on conversion rates, so it should be roughly accurate now.

ANzey
  • ANzey

Born Legend

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

I answered no. You have problems with the engli-english? Well that's just too f*cking bad.

Can't help but being a dick sorry.

THC 300
  • THC 300

hombre condón

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

as someone that doesn't have english as first language, i understand it, but i think it would be annoying even for people like me.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (ANzey @ Monday, Sep 3 2012, 02:20)
I answered no. You have problems with the engli-english? Well that's just too f*cking bad.

Can't help but being a dick sorry.

It's optional he said. Besides, what's the harm in having subtitles for the talk radio stations?

dr00gy
  • dr00gy

• Members

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

Finally, more people voted yes than no. I'm still disgusted at the amount of dicks voting no.

oldandslow
  • oldandslow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

Registered on the forum just to say yes on this. Even though it's likely I wouldn't enable it myself, or keep it enabled all the time.

While on the subject of not hearing stuff, I had serious problems hearing the gps on GTAIV. There should be a separate volume setting for the gps, and imo the gps directions would also deserve their own set of subtitles, or symbols. If the in car gps mutes the radio while saying the directions then these subtitles can be amongst the radio stream, otherwise make it three sets of subtitles. Yes, messy on the screen but the user can select which, if any, he wants shown.

Outplug
  • Outplug

PSN: Headphenomenon

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

There are those occasions when I want to entirely mute the radio and listen to the people talking with their own subtitles off. It's just an odd preference, but the addition of lyrics / subtitles for the radio sure would come in handy on such occasions.

icon14.gif

j.hunt
  • j.hunt

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

why would anyone vote no? seriously there's way too many dicks in this world.

Turbojohn
  • Turbojohn

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

I voted don't care, but I should have voted: Yes.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

I voted no, but I voted for my personal preference.. not dissing deaf people in any way. I just get easily distracted so I really prefer to play with as little text and icons on screen as possible. If I watch a subtitled movie I end up watching the subtitles more than the movie.. it sucks, but it's great for my languages.

the radio is meant as ambient noise and subtitling it puts it more upfront and it would conflict with dialogue subtitles. But I'm all for making games accesible to people with disabilities and I guess an option where you can choose different levels of subtitling would be appreciated a lot by deaf people, and by me for the ability to turn it all off. Playing GTA without the radio is missing out.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

"Don't care" for me.

I always have dialogue subtitles set to ON, but I find it hard to concentrate on driving as well as paying attention to what's coming up at the bottom of the screen. So, if we had an option for radio subtitles, I'll be having the same predicament.

GAME MASTER
  • GAME MASTER

This is the American Dream

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (dr00gy @ Monday, Sep 3 2012, 04:54)
My responses to some of the reasons for voting no:

'It'll take up disk space'
Text takes up hardly any space at all & this is a stupid reason. So what if it takes up space if people will find it useful? Audio takes up a lot more space &, since I don't use it, why wouldn't I want it removed? Because other people would use it & I'm not selfish.

'It'd be annoying'
Turn it off then since it should be an option just like subtitles are.

'I don't see the point'
It helps deaf people & people who struggle to understand spoken English.

'It'll interfere with missions'
Just like on tele, speech is a lot more important than radio so only the speech will be shown instead of the radio when need-be. Just like you can't interpret both the radio & the characters speaking at the same time, deaf folk can't read both at the same time.

@OP: please include this in your OP to allow people to open their minds a bit.

Exactly! I have to agreed with you for your statement especially with the subtitles options where you can turn on or off if you need it but it's wrong to remove the subtitles from the game because there are lot of Deaf people playing GTA games.

I am also Deaf so I always use subtitles frequently.
Subtitles should appear for civilian talking on the street and on the radio stations. rampage_ani.gif

@Girlish: really? Difficult to concentrate when driving.... I have no problem with that. If you want to know what the person was saying when driving then go to brief menu and it will show up the subtitles conversation if you miss the information.

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:54 PM Edited by Adriaan, 05 September 2012 - 01:00 PM.

Let's try and figure out ways of how subtitles on the radio, for pedestrians and police radio can work.

As mentioned, during missions, characters talk and do have subtitles. As the volume anyway goes down of the radio during these moments, it only makes sense that subtitles from characters will overwrite subtitles from the radio.

As for how to make it clear what is radio... perhaps some sort of icon next to it? Like a speaker/radio icon that shows up.

For pedestrians, I want to say to the people in here who have already commented that they are deaf, and others reading, that from the GTA games I've played over the years it always seemed like that one funny comment or whatever only comes from one pedestrian at a time. Sure, screams happen in multiples, but it seems those funny ped lines don't really intersect each other much. It's like they put a limit on it.

So, with that said, perhaps pedestrian subtitles should only show up for characters within the camera's view. If someone says something behind you, maybe it shouldn't pop up. But maybe it can happen anyway. There can then be an extra option specifically for death people whereby an icon floats above a ped when he says something (this already happens with multiplayer characters when the person controlling that character speaks over his mic).

If anyone else have ideas, feel free to post. This seems like a very interesting thing and a natural step. I plan on forwarding any ideas on all of this to a few people at Rockstar. Maybe it's too late to add, but there's always the possibility through a patch.

I like these ideas already posted:

QUOTE (bluetops @ Sunday, Sep 2 2012, 03:08)
QUOTE (TheD94 @ Sunday, Sep 2 2012, 00:50)
It should be really in the options, looking like:
Subtitles - On/Off
Radio Subtitles - On/Off

icon14.gif icon14.gif

I'm thinking how will it work in missions...

Diff. color of radio subtitle and on top of the mission dialogue subtitles?

Game2048
  • Game2048

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:05 PM Edited by Game2048, 05 September 2012 - 04:09 PM.

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Wednesday, Sep 5 2012, 12:54)
Let's try and figure out ways of how subtitles on the radio, for pedestrians and police radio can work.

As mentioned, during missions, characters talk and do have subtitles. As the volume anyway goes down of the radio during these moments, it only makes sense that subtitles from characters will overwrite subtitles from the radio.

As for how to make it clear what is radio... perhaps some sort of icon next to it? Like a speaker/radio icon that shows up.

For pedestrians, I want to say to the people in here who have already commented that they are deaf, and others reading, that from the GTA games I've played over the years it always seemed like that one funny comment or whatever only comes from one pedestrian at a time. Sure, screams happen in multiples, but it seems those funny ped lines don't really intersect each other much. It's like they put a limit on it.

So, with that said, perhaps pedestrian subtitles should only show up for characters within the camera's view. If someone says something behind you, maybe it shouldn't pop up. But maybe it can happen anyway. There can then be an extra option specifically for death people whereby an icon floats above a ped when he says something (this already happens with multiplayer characters when the person controlling that character speaks over his mic).

If anyone else have ideas, feel free to post. This seems like a very interesting thing and a natural step. I plan on forwarding any ideas on all of this to a few people at Rockstar. Maybe it's too late to add, but there's always the possibility through a patch.

I like these ideas already posted:

QUOTE (bluetops @ Sunday, Sep 2 2012, 03:08)
QUOTE (TheD94 @ Sunday, Sep 2 2012, 00:50)
It should be really in the options, looking like:
Subtitles - On/Off
Radio Subtitles - On/Off

icon14.gif icon14.gif

I'm thinking how will it work in missions...

Diff. color of radio subtitle and on top of the mission dialogue subtitles?

Well, subtitles of radio can be replaced with subtitles of characters at appropriate moments.

In fact you are listening to the radio mostly during the "free play" or long runs on the mission. At other times, you do not listening too much to conversations on the radio, because you are busy.

The point is that it is better to have such possibility, turn on subtitles to the radio, than not to have it, so that people could choose themselves

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Definitely no.

Johan
  • Johan

Days since avatar changed: 8

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

I don't really care, if I have an option to turn it off, fine.. if no then so be it. I just don't want it to interfere with the mission dialogue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users