GTAF Minecraft Server

5,038 replies to this topic
fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 10:08)
The only obvious problem is stress on the server and being able to configure our permissions properly, which may take a bit of time for me to test and monitor. But there are plenty of ways to save memory by cutting down on things like the multiple angles available in the live map, as an example, or putting a border on the map to make it a lot, lot smaller.

We can definitely drop some of the live map angles I'd say, maybe drop the nether (you can't see anything anyways) and the iso views. A border on the new map would not only cut down on resource use but it should theoretically encourage people to build closer to one another instead of the dozens of builds in Bumf*ck, Nowhere that we've got now.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

I like the multi-world idea.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:12 PM Edited by Kirsty, 27 July 2013 - 06:21 PM.

The current view we had on the live map, the circular area, is 3000x3000 I think, but the actual map is much much bigger. Huge in fact. It's now over 1GB in size and to put that in perspective our very first map was about 150mb and that Imperial City map is about 150mb as well, that's a huge strain on the server considering the space we actually use. I think the live map viewable area is more than enough.

Cutting down the current map in MCedit is a possibility and then putting a border on the new map of perhaps 5000 blocks or something could help.

Edit: Just seen the previous page posts.

@iceman - I think we do pretty well for our small player base to be able to run this long considering it's always been paid for. The last time we had to ask for donations was March and before that I can't remember and we're over 2 years old now. The idea with the multiworlds is just to keep everyone happy.

@Ryan and everyone who has recently donated, just checked it out, super huge thanks smile.gif

• Tyler likes this

TEoS
  • TEoS

Make it double!

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think that is probably the best way to keep everyone happy and playing.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Putting a limit on the map size is a good idea too, we're always talking about the server being under strain yet how many people just walk off for miles generating new areas of the map simply because they're bored.

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

By the way, with the Multiworld thing, what about things like the Nether and the End? Will there two Nether's/End's or will there only be one?
Because if there's only one, things like the End would screw up I presume, by that I mean; if you went through the End portal (from the End to overworld) you would come out in the creative world, no? as that's where the End portal was created, unless you reset the End.. although then 860 will probably explode with rage tounge.gif

Also with the Nether, it'd be so crowded with Portals I presume, because there'll be portals going to the Creative world, and the Survival world too.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

The servers I've played on with multi world have had a nether and end for each world.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

That's something we'd have to look at I guess and I'm sure things like that can be configured. Swapping between worlds will most likely be through a single portal that I will set up at a spawn island, so if you've crossed it, simply going through a nether portal won't bring you back to a different map at least I assume that's how it works. To be honest though, I think a creative nether and end would be kinda pointless since people are rarely in them for very long; I'd rather just have one nether and one end attached to the survival map since we have to be careful about server resources as well.
  • Tyler likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

My two cents - mutliworld is just something to placate everyone. I'm not against it, but it feels like a whole ball of wax with its own problems, and then players are going to be split across two whole worlds.

Can't speak from experience, though, so I'd be up for seeing it in action. But I guess this means that we'd still have to wait for 1.6. So...

confused.gif

Anyhow, FTB has been rad and I'd love to get a copy of the map.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

I'm just trying to find middle ground with the people that are completely against starting afresh as yes, activity is the most important thing, but I value people actually enjoying playing on the server as well for what they've built.

We've tried FTB and yeah it's fun and puts a lot more content into the game, but only for the people that have tried it and can play it. Some refuse to and that's completely acceptable.

Trying out multiworlds as an option I think could work. It's a different dynamic but the chat will be global so it's just like one player in the nether and one player in the overworld. At present, on the current map, I rarely saw actual players because as FG said we're all completely spread out unlike the days we were all working on the city or TPL together, so this would really be no different if we had a couple in each world.

Those who aren't trying to finish huge projects or simply like creative better because they want everything will be in very few numbers, as I think our most active players will actually choose to continue on a new survival map even if they were initially against starting again. Simply because starting again is fun and challenging and we will all be equal again, but there will be no sense of loss there with the current map being one command/portal jump away from visiting.
  • Tyler likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 12:26)
At present, on the current map, I rarely saw actual players because as FG said we're all completely spread out unlike the days we were all working on the city or TPL together, so this would really be no different if we had a couple in each world.

This is what we're trying to reverse though, right? tounge.gif
But I'm totally open to it, if we can go 1.6. tounge.gif I think that's important for starting fresh. Even if we have to deal with grief for a while. (We dealt with it A-OK last time)

In the end, though, all I want to do is play, with the lot of you, so whatever brings us closer together and bumps activity works for me. Also, in the interest of fairness, consider my donation a counterpoint to Ryan's, no matter what he asks for. wink.gif

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 21:44)
In the end, though, all I want to do is play, with the lot of you, so whatever brings us closer together and bumps activity works for me.  Also, in the interest of fairness, consider my donation a counterpoint to Ryan's, no matter what he asks for. wink.gif

icon14.gif Exactly what I want, a good community and activity. A new map is the way forward, it's happened before and will continue to happen in this game, I'm just trying to keep everyone happy who wants to continue on with the current map. Maybe switching between regularly would be better (like an event, without multiworlds) Or having everything available to download.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

So i was about to bitch and moan about how pain in the ass FTB and the Direwolf pack was to set up.... but i just realized im an idiot and misinterpreted the instructions like a dipsh*t. suicidal.gif

Ive got it working now... I'm gonna go sit in a corner and cry because of my stupidity.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Could someone please hook me up with a list of things that I need to DL tomorrow in order to play with you guys? smile.gif Thanks.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 21:41)
Could someone please hook me up with a list of things that I need to DL tomorrow in order to play with you guys? smile.gif Thanks.

Just the game.

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:53 PM Edited by The General, 27 July 2013 - 10:56 PM.

QUOTE (rhyn @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 17:34)

Just the game.

You are forgetting that we are using FTB til the end of the weekend.

Edit: Is the server down or something?

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (The General @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 22:53)
QUOTE (rhyn @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 17:34)

Just the game.

You are forgetting that we are using FTB til the end of the weekend.

Edit: Is the server down or something?

Sorry, for some reason I thought today was Sunday...unemployment eh biggrin.gif

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Yes it's down for a short while. Server was quiet so I've taken the opportunity to test development bukkit 1.6 on a vanilla map, see how the core plugins react and if they work.

We can switch back to FTB for another day or start this new map afterwards. All while we decide on the multi-world or switch-between idea.
  • Tyler likes this

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 23:05)
Yes it's down for a short while. Server was quiet so I've taken the opportunity to test development bukkit 1.6 on a vanilla map, see how the core plugins react and if they work.

We can switch back to FTB for another day or start this new map afterwards. All while we decide on the multi-world or switch-between idea.

Mind if I join you? Sorry I had to leave to go sort a few things out (late night beer trip to Tesco's) and I'm a little bored.

Chase177
  • Chase177

Procrastinator

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

I really hope we switch back to FTB I was really enjoying that. It would be nice if we could do FTB events more often.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Chase177 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 23:29)
I really hope we switch back to FTB I was really enjoying that. It would be nice if we could do FTB events more often.

Yeah, we all loved FTB.

Kirsty bring it back or I'm not going back to 1.5 again!/Ryan

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

It's whitelisted so I can test the things in peace tounge.gif

It's better to start with a good group so FTB can go back on until tomorrow, once I'm done.
  • Tyler likes this

Rml_92
  • Rml_92

Patrol Officer III

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

I'd love to download this map (the one with city/TPL/venice ect.) if that would be possible.
<3

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

Our main plugins seem to be working OK on Bukkit's dev build. Have a seed ready, didn't see any natural horses though.

We're back on FTB now until tomorrow. We'll then switch over to the Map 2 and decide if we're going to run Map 1 alongside it using a multiworld plugin, or switch between periodically to mix it up a bit, or leave it behind completely.
  • Tyler likes this

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

Sweet, so are we getting an awesome looking fancy pants seed?

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

Depends what you define as fancy tounge.gif It seemed pretty decent; I first spawned on an island but I moved it inland otherwise when we use /spawn it'll be a bit of a trek. North of the spawn is like a big ocean, so it's almost like a port town, the newfoundland! It can be changed any time though, it might even be better to have an isolated spawn so that newbies don't go straight to grief.

Groups have been wiped and we'll be using a new plugin for it as the one we used won't be updated anymore, so that's something I'll have to set up over a few days if we want to protect the place from newbies again in the main areas. The border works. Lockette works. Live map works. Other stuff TBC.

I can't wait icon14.gif Always love setting up camp first night with everyone.
  • Tyler likes this

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 02:42)
Depends what you define as fancy tounge.gif

I mean is it beautiful? I was playing around with a few seeds tonight out of boredom and have become accustomed to a certain standard of living you know wink.gif

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

Well I was only in a small chunk, but for the starting area it seems pretty enough. Mainly a small plains area, some lakes going through it and surrounded by some low hills and elevated areas, jungle to the south. We'll just have to find out the rest for ourselves tomorrow wink.gif
  • Tyler likes this

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

I love turtles..

.2D
  • .2D

Look at the Flowers.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

Oo oo oo, what did I miss? New map? FTB?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users