GTAF Minecraft Server

5,139 replies to this topic
TEoS
  • TEoS

WE'RE BEING ATTAAAAAACKED!

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

I'm not sure what everyone else wants or what is even capable, but my preferences would be:

1. Player made Alliances: People should be able to freelance if they so choose, or form powerful coalitions to maintain superior numbers. Mandatory teams or no teams would be very boring.

2. No block breaking from mining: Constructing a super fortress only to have some douche mine through the wall would just be frustrating, and not at all fun. However, I think dynamite should still destroy player placed blocks, as at least that would be tactical.

3. Livemap blackout in PvP zone. This sorta goes without saying, but being able to see where everyone is, even if it is in the great black north on the map, ruins a lot of the fun. Half the excitement comes from either hunting your prey, or evading a superior predator. Also, the whole player names showing up from a distance thing should go too.

4. Inventory wipe: once this thing goes live, there shouldn't be any more transferring of resources from the mainland. Maintaining a farming/mining operation is part of the risk/reward factor of setting up your base. If I can do my mining/farming in safety, why would I ever do it in a warzone?

5. No mod powers: It won't be fun if mods are warping to people and killing them etc, even if it's a joke. sh*ts high stakes brah.

That's all I can think of.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (TEoS @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 01:53)
Out of curiosity, who is actually planning on taking part in the PvP zone up north?

I wouldn't bet much on it, we always start projects like this and use them maybe once or twice before forgetting them completely.

KaRzY6
  • KaRzY6

♧ Sick Kunt ♤

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (Rml_92 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 06:15)
I donated nearly all my cobblestone/stone/stone bricks/slabs/dirt to the freeway.
How else are children supposed to get to my house?

Yeah, I noticed all the items. Thanks so much. smile.gif

Apex.
  • Apex.

Alright?

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Found this in my screenshots from last month biggrin.gif

user posted image

Anyway I've set up in the far North and I'm excited to get this whole PVP thing going. About the port town, I think we should have it at the far south of the continent, the place nearest to the Main land, so it sort of looks like it's trading with them. When you first take a boat out from my place and you hit land, I think that's where the port should be.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Before we do anything, we need to establish some kind of border. I won't be able to restrict anything otherwise, so we need to scout out and put down 2 corners so I can create a region out of it.

TEoS
  • TEoS

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Can you see what this continent looks like Kirsty? I was sailing the coast for a while and after about 10 minutes I was convinced it was shaped like a giant spiral, which I'm about 200% certain is not correct. Obviously we want the PvP area to be big enough where people can build in secret, but not where you can roam for hours and not find anyone.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

I still demand payment for finding that freaking continent.

TEoS
  • TEoS

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

For finding this new continent, you have been granted the ability to build somewhere on this continent. Your country is totally grateful for your assistance, brah.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

I can only see what you see TEoS, like on the live map. Only way I could scope what it was like was it if I flew up and took some screens to post, wouldn't get it all in though.

Hiding avatars in that area would be good, I'm just not sure whether it could be done. Configuring these things while still wanting to play normally outside of the region is going to be the trickiest part about this pvp thing, but I'll see what we can do and we can work with what we've got.

Some rules to start might be an idea. I think that straight out griefing will ruin it a bit, but I want you guys to have free reign on how this will work. For Lockette, again it might be hard to configure per area on that one, but if everything is locked away then it might take the fun away of hiding treasure and having to use enderchests for good stuff.

I agree that we should start a fresh inventory in the area as well. Maybe even adventure mode would be better?

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Adventure Mode would surely suck, would it not?

Seeing as in Adventure Mode you can't break blocks, and all you can do is use things like levers, doors, pressure plates, etc.
Atleast to my understanding, that's all you can do.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Adventure mode is like real life, Kalvin. You can only break blocks with the appropriate tools.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

You can break blocks with the right tools though, so axe for wood, pickaxe for stone, shovel for dirt etc, but you can only break a few blocks with your hand. It's detailed here http://www.minecraft.../wiki/Adventure

You could be started off with a set of wooden or stone everything, and that means you'd have to go out and make sure you utilise everything and ensure it isn't wasted. Adds an element of fun and a purpose to mining as well as watching your back. Makes griefing less easy too.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

We should make it hardcore and adventure mode for the best role play experience ever. What do you say Kirsty?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 09:55)
I can only see what you see TEoS, like on the live map. Only way I could scope what it was like was it if I flew up and took some screens to post, wouldn't get it all in though.

Hiding avatars in that area would be good, I'm just not sure whether it could be done. Configuring these things while still wanting to play normally outside of the region is going to be the trickiest part about this pvp thing, but I'll see what we can do and we can work with what we've got.

Some rules to start might be an idea. I think that straight out griefing will ruin it a bit, but I want you guys to have free reign on how this will work. For Lockette, again it might be hard to configure per area on that one, but if everything is locked away then it might take the fun away of hiding treasure and having to use enderchests for good stuff.

I agree that we should start a fresh inventory in the area as well. Maybe even adventure mode would be better?

Keep in mind, we know that it's a monumental task, and we're not trying to lean too heavily on you for help. Unless you wanna. Heh.

Some thoughts about the "PVP roleplay region", if y'all are interested. Obviously this is just my opinion and I wanna know what you guys think.

- Open only to those who register to some sort of list.
- Mod powers will not be allowed. (rollback, lookup, supertools/weapons)
- Griefing should be allowed, but total destruction frowned upon unless the roleplay calls for it.
- if you are killed by a rival player, you should have to wait a day before you can return
- no lockette. Hide your stuff, defend your stuff, or lose it.
- factions would be a really interesting route to take. And if so, a capture-the-flag type item or other maguffin could be fun.
- a "safe" zone will exist, and that will be the only warp into the continent

...plenty more if I get to rambling, but.... discuss! And keep in mind that this is all just hypothetical - not sure what we can and can't do - but we can dream, people! tounge.gif

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

I DEMAND A MONUMENT TO MY GLORY! AS FOUNDER OF THE IRON ISLANDS

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:50 PM Edited by Otter, 23 July 2013 - 07:52 PM.

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 11:40)
I DEMAND A MONUMENT TO MY GLORY! AS FOUNDER OF THE IRON ISLANDS

/ban Novasecura allcaps

PS It's Fireland. Or, let's go more viking. Bál? Eldrland? Hyrrland?

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

I love your idea about the PVP Roleplay Region, Otter.

TEoS
  • TEoS

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, I'm a big RP dork, which I'd like for it to be as "realistic" as possible. A rigid frame should be in play, but few actual rules. A feeling of constant danger makes it all the more fun.

Edit: I really like the CTF idea, Otter, even if it ends up just being for bragging rights.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 19:38)
not sure what we can and can't do - but we can dream, people! tounge.gif

Would it then be okay in that case if I suggested that we at least try Feed The Beast for a few days? I'm not saying we'd have to keep it, just playing it and finding out how it works could be quite enjoyable and we can easily revert back if people don't like the change as it were.

Android
  • Android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 17:49)

Would it then be okay in that case if I suggested that we at least try Feed The Beast for a few days? I'm not saying we'd have to keep it, just playing it and finding out how it works could be quite enjoyable and we can easily revert back if people don't like the change as it were.

I've heard of Feed the Beast before. It sounds cool. I would love to try it out.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 22:49)

We've already tried it before for a while and activity took a nose dive.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (rhyn @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 22:57)
QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 22:49)

I would be happy with Feed the Beast, not sure how long, but I wouldn't mind playing it for a bit.

I still like the PvP idea as well.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

I think anything that requires regular players to install anything extra is outside of our purview.

That said, the Factions mod looks very cool.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:34 PM Edited by Lightning Strike, 23 July 2013 - 11:42 PM.

Nope, we tried Tekkit and that was far before the majority of the currently active members joined.

E: As for why activity dropped, well it was because of Equivalent Exchange 2 allowing people to generate stacks of diamonds in less than a minute, just by the power of the sun itself.

Feed The Beast includes Equivalent Exchange 3, it's not finished yet and it contains none of that over powered stuff that the old mod had, it intends to of course but it aims to have a much more balanced system in place for acquiring it rather then generating them out of nowhere. Regardless, that element of the game isn't present here and as a result I think it'd be fair to at least try it for a short period of time rather than condemning it.

KaRzY6
  • KaRzY6

♧ Sick Kunt ♤

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

I pretty sure, depending on which server hoster you're using, Feed The Beast costs extra money. So I don't think the server owner (Andrew..?) would be too happy paying extra.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

Ftb doesn't cost any extra I use the same hosters as there technical support is top notch ....... its easy to run a modded jar that is unless the servers root has old versions of the mods ftb uses then it becomes an arse ache. As it trys to load them instead of the new versions that ftb uses.

KaRzY6
  • KaRzY6

♧ Sick Kunt ♤

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 18:25)
Ftb doesn't cost any extra I use the same hosters as there technical support is top notch ....... its easy to run a modded jar that is unless the servers root has old versions of the mods ftb uses then it becomes an arse ache. As it trys to load them instead of the new versions that ftb uses.

Oh, well that's good then. I wouldn't mind playing a bit of FTB, but I kind of just like what we have now. I don't think we need any change.

And about the PvP arena; it sounds nice. Good luck, but I don't think I will use it personally.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 23:34)

Nope, we tried Tekkit and that was far before the majority of the currently active members joined.

Ah yes, apologies that's what I meant to say. Anyway, my laptop can't run FTB for sh*t. I'd rather not play at all that run around on tiny render distance with everything on minimum.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (rhyn @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 15:40)
QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 23:34)

Ah yes, apologies that's what I meant to say. Anyway, my laptop can't run FTB for sh*t. I'd rather not play at all that run around on tiny render distance with everything on minimum.

It depends, there's a lite version of the pack that can run on anyone's laptop really comfortably, although it leaves out a number of cool mods it'd run stable and well on your laptop Rhyn.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

I think we quite plainly saw that it wasnt equivalent exchange that broke user engagement with the server. We tried a brand new map for about a month on Tekkit without EE and it was a complete ghost town.

Any time you require players to download and run a custom launcher, you're gonna kill activity. Hell, we're dealing with that in a smaller form right now because we're not running 1.6 yet.

FTB, like Tekkit, would kill activity. Even if it surged for a week or two at first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users