Photo

GTAF Minecraft Server

4,681 replies to this topic
Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

He's a banned on the forum anyway, now banned on the server.

I've stopped the server until I can get home and restore the last backup on the map, unfortunately we loose newer parts of the map. I've got one or two ideas how to get around this problem, but the result of that would piss new people off.

Idea 1:
- Enable permissions on the server
- People who have just joined have no permissions, cannot build / place / break
- These are then moved into a group that has permissions, so that they can then build

Idea 2:
- We bring in a property protection plugin that allows the owners to protect their property.
- Owners can choose to protect to stop people from griefing
- Cities / public infrastructure would be protected by Admins.

Idea 3:
- We bring back the whitelist.

Idea 2 for me would be the most suitable, given it doesn't restrict peoples building abilities, but gives people the chance to protect their homes, and doesn't close down access to the server.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

How "new" are we talking? Can we revert certain areas to the backup, or is that silly? Don't wanna lose anything I did earlier today.

I vote for the whitelist. Simple policy - post in here to get added, repeat. I know it's a pain for you guys, but probably less painful than restoring backups and banning users.

Of the other two, my favorite is enabling permissions. If we protect areas, then they can't be modified easily, and that kinda stuffs the whole point of the game, right? It would really make building in a community a pain in the ass and seriously unfun. Not to mention the hassle of circumventing these issues every time.

Perhaps if we do go the permissions route, there can be a newbie "sandbox" area?

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

I've seen newbie sandbox areas to work quite well, they restrict a part of the map for people to build their own city/area and once you've proven you're not a griefer and are responsible you're allowed access to the rest of the map.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Benjimino234 @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 09:18)
I've seen newbie sandbox areas to work quite well, they restrict a part of the map for people to build their own city/area and once you've proven you're not a griefer and are responsible you're allowed access to the rest of the map.

That's a much better idea, produce a new persons area that is large enough to allow them to build, but it is also unfair to those that won't cause problems.

I'll check the backup times when I get in.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

Im trialing another system on the other server i run where the gamemode on join is set to adventure mode. If then the player is trust worthy an admin then sets him/her to gamemode0

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Benjimino234 @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 09:18)

The only problem would be, are people really gonna want to build in an area that will likely be griefed only to be made a member of the server and have to go and build somewhere else again after using up materials in the sandbox area.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• England

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 14:49)
gamemode on join is set to adventure mode.

There seems to be pros and cons for every option, but we need to do something.

I like this adventure mode idea or sandbox area the most. New people join on adventure mode, they get to explore the server and see if they like it and want to build, then we swap them to normal mode. This way, buildings are safe when no one is online to keep an eye out and if they get swapped to normal mode and still grief, at least an admin is there to sort them out if need be.

The sandbox area seems okay too, but I agree with rhyn that it might become too separated and no one is going to want to build properly in there. We are already quite spread out as it is.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

I only just thought about it. It popped into my head after speaking with ops it seems to occur by randomers while ops aren't online. I started looking into plugins but i thought of this and figure allthough it wont put an end to griefing it will stop people just jo8ning to grief.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

I like the adventure mode idea the best. It should at the very least cut down on griefing.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Agree. I think that's what Andrew was getting at, really, with the "permissions" thing, but adventure mode sounds like a very easy way for the mods to handle it.

I guess I just don't get the griefing mentality. Why pay 15 bucks for a game only to screw people over? It's frustratingly idiotic.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Because some people get a kick out of destroying others stuff, it's the same as vandalism. I'll investigate each solution and weigh up the pros and cons for each. The way I envision the area protection plugin is that you could add other people that you wanted to modify the area, but it would be entirely optional as to if you used it or not.

This is one of the downsides of an open access server, however I do not want to return to the whitelist.

I think we also need to look at the possibility of introducing an moderator or two as such, who has the power to kick / ban those who do start to grief. Twice now people have been online and the griefer caught red handed.

xI Jakk Ix
  • xI Jakk Ix

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Last time I played on the server you just posted in the whitelist thread and were added depending on your credibility. However, I didn't like the idea of going to this portal site and doing an application, because I'm sure mine is still pending and the post in the whitelist thread idea was just better and easier, it still stops random griefers. The whitelist idea wasn't bad except for the fact you got kicked off after a couple of weeks of inactivity.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

Haven't been on in a while and just noticed the discussion here. Any way we could enable a vote kick/ban system for random griefers who join?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 11:19)
Haven't been on in a while and just noticed the discussion here. Any way we could enable a vote kick/ban system for random griefers who join?

Given that there's long stretches with only one or two players online, I think that could result in some unhappy regulars. tounge.gif

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Andrew @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 13:11)
I think we also need to look at the possibility of introducing an moderator or two as such, who has the power to kick / ban those who do start to grief. Twice now people have been online and the griefer caught red handed.

My personal nomination would be Otter, and I don't think you'll find many people that disagree.

Moth
  • Moth

I am mad scientist, sunuvabich!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (Pat @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 14:39)
QUOTE (Andrew @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 13:11)

My personal nomination would be Otter, and I don't think you'll find many people that disagree.

I agree.

Wait, does my opinion matter anymore? sad.gif

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

That would be a lot of fun, even though I'm desperately trying to reconcile my minecraft addiction with my professional life. tounge.gif

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

The server is back up, I've rolled epoxi's house back to what it was, however there might be somethings missing. Just let us know what and we'll deal with it.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• England

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (The General @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 20:51)
Wait, does my opinion matter anymore? sad.gif

No. Unless you come and play with us tounge.gif

We're going to have two mods with the ability to kick and ban, each from a different timezone.

We'd like Otter and rhyn for the jobs..... do I need to ask for an answer?

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

Yea my nominations would be Otter and epoxi.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

The moderators would only have the power to Kick and Ban from the server, this way if a greifer comes on, then they can be dealt with swifty without waiting for Me or Kirsty to come online.

Changes going forward from today will be :-

• 2 Moderators with powers to kick / ban
• backups will be automatically created every hour

I suppose it's time I started on the modifications to the Core plugin!

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

I sound like a noob when I say this, but how do I join? I would just like a look around cause I am very curious about what you build. The map looks cool.

Is there like an ip i join? :S

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• England

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 21:25)
but how do I join?

Connect to the ip from the first post:

gtafmc.co.uk

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 20:26)
QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 21:25)
but how do I join?

Connect to the ip from the first post:

gtafmc.co.uk

I did and it says this:
It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

I'm sorry for asking these questions, I'am a total noob on PC. Is there anyway we can create a world on Xbox? Where I can be the host, and there will be another co-host. That way we can only have 6 others joining.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

Are you trying to join using the MC PC client? or just view a live map? If it's the live map then we have one here http://map.gtafmc.co.uk

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Andrew @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 20:32)
Are you trying to join using the MC PC client? or just view a live map? If it's the live map then we have one here http://map.gtafmc.co.uk

I'm using the PC client. I just got it.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• England

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

You can't connect to the server in an Internet browser, you have to download the Minecraft client. Open it up and click multiplayer, then either direct connect to our ip or add the server to your server list and join.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

I'd be honored, thanks guys. I'll only kick Rown once a day.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 20:46)
You can't connect to the server in an Internet browser, you have to download the Minecraft client. Open it up and click multiplayer, then either direct connect to our ip or add the server to your server list and join.

Oh ok, sorry about that blush.gif

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Since it seems Rhyn Otter are happy with the arrangement, I'd like you to welcome them both aboard as Moderators on the server. They will have the power to Kick and Ban players that are causing a nuisance, they will hopefully be able to stop griefing before any major damage is done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users