4,947 replies to this topic
Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:57 PM Edited by Lightning Strike, 24 July 2013 - 04:42 PM.

QUOTE (Otter @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 15:50)
FTB, like Tekkit, would kill activity. Even if it surged for a week or two at first.

Otter, I understand what you're going for man but at least be willing to try it out. A few members here have expressed interest in at the very least trying it.

The reason everyone stopped playing was because of Equivalent Exchange one way or another, you start to only use Equivalent Exchange when you use Tekkit because it's the simplest, easiest way to get minerals and resources and when you're used to using it, it's hard to go back. When the majority of current players haven't tried it, how can they become "addicted" to Equivalent Exchange and therefore be expected to play without its presence? They can't.

I'd presume that it'd go down quite well and activity would peak because it's a load of new stuff to try, adding a new launcher's not really the issue, the issue is that people don't like change. You don't know what it's like until you give it a go I guess, and with something so large as Feed The Beast looming over you can feel pretty intimidated, however learning it feels great and if we encourage each other and help one another out I can only foresee the trial period turning out rather positively.

E: Yay! We reached a hundred pages! ;P

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

I don't think you understand me at all.

- we lost about a third of our regular players right off the bat because running a seperate launcher was either too inconvenient or flat out unplayable on their machine
- machines made many of the public areas unplayable even for people with high end computers

EE was never the problem to begin with. It was the fact that a separate launcher with more computer intensive requirements made our server unfriendly to the majority of players. The idea that the second go around failed because we (and by we Im referring to myself, moth, and maybe stino - probably the only two who stuck around towards the end) were 'addicted' to EE is completely absurd and contradicted by the fact that nobody else came to play when it was started over.

Couple this with the fact that ftb probably wont be 1.6 compatible for ages (is it even 1.5 compatible?!?!?) and you've got a no-brainer. It will kill our current activity.

So, while you're certainly hard-headed about the issue, you have to remember that the desires of the few are not what interests the majority. I don't see why you shouldn't try to rally some support around here, but do so truthfully. We'll lose a ton of members, including two of the current moderators.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:38 PM Edited by Lightning Strike, 24 July 2013 - 04:43 PM.

QUOTE (Otter @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 16:19)
I don't think you understand me at all.

- we lost about a third of our regular players right off the bat because running a separate launcher was either too inconvenient or flat out unplayable on their machine
- machines made many of the public areas unplayable even for people with high end computers

We lost members because they became overpowered, no I'm not denying that people's performance may drop or that the playability of the mods may have caused some people's games to become unplayable. Though my counter argument for this would be that FTB isn't one individual pack like Tekkit.

FTB Lite is custom made to reduce lag and contains a significantly smaller amount of mods then one of the other base modpacks. The launcher itself though is extremely well made and presented, so there should be no problems with running whatever pack we choose the server to run on. Even if people were still suffering from lag issues we can quite easily and simply disable mods on the FTB launcher simply by selecting the edit modpack button, that button will then take you to an equally well presented screen with the list of mods enabled on one side of the screen and the ones that are disabled on the other. Simply click on a mod and click the disable or enable buttons on the center of the screen and it'll switch the mods between the two groups.

Secondarily, there are numerous mods available now that have not only been optimised to run on lower end machines, but also offer low end alternatives. One the best examples of this would be Extra Utilities, that adds a few features that a number of other mods in the pack do, but allow us to keep a relatively low lag presence. Explaining it in detail would take far too much time so I'll post a video highlighting the majority of what this mod does and how it'd help to reduce lag around the server.

EE was never the problem to begin with. It was the fact that a separate launcher with more computer intensive requirements made our server unfriendly to the majority of players.

According to Kirsty many players became bored due to them generating hundreds of diamonds every minute without any effort whatsoever, you can continue trying to make this argument Otter, but there's nothing preventing us from easily editing the modpack to fit our needs.

Couple this with the fact that ftb probably wont be 1.6 compatible for ages (is it even 1.5 compatible?!?!?) and you've got a no-brainer. It will kill our current activity.

There are many FTB packs that are currently running off of 1.5.2, the only reason that they've yet to be updated to 1.6 is because Minecraft Forge is undergoing a little update to make it more user friendly that should be released within a week. The more important question to ask though Otter is that are we on version 1.6? No, this is precisely why I brought up Feed The Beast as it'd be a cool thing to play whilst waiting for Bukkit to update.

Finally I never said that this'd be a permanent change that we'd run off for months on end, I simply suggested that we try it for a few days and see how people feel, not that large of request is it?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

We're going in circles. I dont think running it for a weekend or something would be a big deal but I'm sure you'd quickly see how few come to play. wink.gif

Just keep in mind that while you've certainly been vocal about it... I think it'd be you and moth that have shown any interest.

I'd rather keep the focus on this map and prepping for all the fun horsey times that are surely just around the corner.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

There's no denying that the likes of Tekkit and FTB are great mods, but it was hard to get them to work for us because it completely changes the way of Minecraft. I agree with some points both of you made.

We lose people through the fact that it requires a launcher. Some didn't like the idea, but some literally couldn't play, like Rown. I'd rather stick as we are than lose some of our most active and dedicated players.

The map couldn't stay. Putting a mod on our current map would mean we couldn't play it in vanilla again due to the different blocks and ores available and placed. We could only play mods like this on a fresh map and Otter is correct, it takes ages for them to be up to date with the current Minecraft build so we'll be waiting even longer for 1.6.

The complete different style of playing, that ended up with people vastly overusing mods like EE, did contribute to lack of playing and activity IMO. I've played every map on this server, I know when people get bored and it's always when they've got everything and built everything. To be honest, the same could be applied to the current map at present as I can see the activity has dropped so much recently and it's why I'm always in favour of fresh starts. There is no point running a dead server, so while I find these mods fun, I will only go with what will keep the server most active. More activity means more players staying online because there are people on (we've seen in the past that people won't stay on as long if no ones on, or if they see no one online from the live map they won't join at all) and more players means more donations which keeps the server running in the first place.

There's 1 person on the server right now, getting online around this time a while ago there would have been at least 5 or more. It's pretty poor for a server this expensive and if it wasn't for the abuse I'd get, I'd vote for starting a new map right now tounge.gif

As for trying mods on a temporary map basis as an event, again I'm all up for that as long as people play it.
  • Tyler likes this

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:03)

There's 1 person on the server right now, getting online around this time a while ago there would have been at least 5 or more. It's pretty poor for a server this expensive and if it wasn't for the abuse I'd get, I'd vote for starting a new map right tounge.gif

As for trying mods on a temporary map basis as an event, again I'm all up for that as long as people play it.

One concurs wholeheartedly, I mean why not have a fresh start 1.6 at the very least.

And despite vocalisation on the matter I'd be fine if we were to stay with what we've got, I just like trying out new things so a temporary map where we all get the chance to play a little FTB could be some fun.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

I'm not opposed to a Freshie. With 1.6.

TEoS
  • TEoS

Prepare for trouble...

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Well, considering we're dead most of the day, I'm down for pretty much anything if it means a boost in activity, even if it means Nova wins. There are regulars who I haven't seen in weeks, not sure if they're on hiatus or if they've stopped playing, but either way, we might need some fresh blood. Whether that means a new map or tooling around with some mods, I don't know.

I've been pulling for a new map for awhile, but I'm one of the newer players so I have less of a sentimental attachment to this current map.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

If I recall correctly, this is one of the longer maps. And the previous map was rather frankensteined together.

The rumor is, however, that the next update will be a biome update..... sad.gif f*cking Mojang.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

I'd be back on the server in a heart beat if everything was updated and I got creative back to finish the stadium. Icarus and I want to build a football stadium too.

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

I wouldn't mind a new map with either 1.5 or 1.6.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

To be honest, I'd like anything new at this point. Whether it be FTB or otherwise adding something new to the general proceedings would be nice, hell one of the main reasons I suggest playing FTB would be that it'd put us all on a level playing field whilst also allowing us a bit more freedom with the projects we wanted to take on.

Ryan would be able to build and finish whatever he wanted similarly to creative since FTB contains many ways of actually achieving flight, and mass resource production without becoming too overpowered and making everyone leave the server. In reality, I'd make the argument that we are where we are because we're stuck in a rut and if we tried out a modpack and switch over to a new map for 1.6 it may to an extent rejuvenate the server's activity.

TEoS
  • TEoS

Prepare for trouble...

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

I've been having imaginary conversations with you guys for the last 15 minutes. We need to do something!

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, it's easy to say we'll just go with a new map for 1.7 (the supposed biome update) but with the rate they bring them out it could be months and months away and since the donation pot will be empty after this months bill is paid shameless plug I want us to turn things around pretty quickly.

I know how attached people are so it's not going to be a quick decision made right this moment. It's just a thought. But if people don't even want to build on this map without creative and stuff (yes you Ryan tounge.gif ) it just shows how having things as they are spoils people and some feel unable to finish things when they look around and see everything already developed.

• Tyler likes this

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'd be ok with a new map if I can get my temple town pasted over to it, I'd very much like to finish it for once tounge.gif

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

In contrast to my dear friend rhynberry, I'd say a clean start is needed. wink.gif No copies, no pastes, no MCedit whatsoever.

TEoS
  • TEoS

Prepare for trouble...

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Yeah, I guess if one person gets it, then the flood gates open and we'll be playing on the same map again.

Srsly plz paste mordor over plz kirsty thx

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:44)
In contrast to my dear friend rhynberry, I'd say a clean start is needed. wink.gif No copies, no pastes, no MCedit whatsoever.

To be honest I'd find it very hard to have any enthusiasm to build anything at all if we're just gonna wipe it out and start fresh every few months.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Every few months is a bit of an overstatement... and this is what we've been doing from the beginning, no? The lamest map in recent history was the one that we imported the map 1 city and sandy boot etc into. Just didn't have that new hotness to it.

What would be AWESOME is if we can find a seed that puts us in a pretty much endless ocean. Island warz!

TEoS
  • TEoS

Prepare for trouble...

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

I dunno, restarting every few months and not stagnating on the current one are two different things. Also "wiping out" is a strong phrase, since as far as I know, the maps are not wiped out and we can switch back at any time. There's nothing wrong with having nostalgia nights to revisit and work on projects on this map if that's what people are worried about.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

I'm kind of the opposite. When I've built what I wanted to build and I'm swimming in diamonds I find it kind of hard to find new things to do.

But when there's a fresh start the first few days are the most exiting.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, that's the problem about changing maps. It's why nothing ever gets built on temp maps. For such a simple game, it requires a f*ck ton of psychology to get people feeling like they want to play and build.

Whatever we do right now, the rumoured biome update will force us to change maps. If I'm checking the post history in here correctly, we've been on this map since the end of December. So 2 maps a year, if we changed for 1.7, isn't that bad.

Edit: Just noticed over 100 pages smile.gif
  • Tyler likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Not at all. This map has been around.....forever. I'm fully in favor of a fresh start.

Especially if we can find an ocean seed. tounge.gif

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 13:54)
Especially if we can find an ocean seed. tounge.gif

F*ck your ocean seed. Oceans are the worst biome to live in at the start. Trees are nearly impossible to find, and everything is spread out. Plus a large amount of flowing liquids puts a lot of strain on the server and on people's clients. Hell, flowing water is worst than an FTB client.

And I'm for trying out FTB on the server for a few days or so. Nothing is cheaty in the Direwolf pack, plus there is a hell a lot to do. I'm at the point that I'm kinda bored of vanilla MC, since everything is so damn simple.(except redstone, too complicated with low reward imo.) 1.6 is still isn't enough, since horses are buggy as sh*t and they are the only really worthwhile thing in 1.6. It's kinda the reason why I haven't been on for a while.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Whatever the majority wants of course but that's just my 2 cents anyway. Maybe I'd be better suited to just starting a single player world, seems to be the answer to all my problems biggrin.gif

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (rhyn @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 14:13)
Maybe I'd be better suited to just starting a single player world

Bad rhyn, very bad.
The General beats rhyn with a newspaper

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (rhyn @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 11:44)
QUOTE (Otter @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:44)

To be honest I'd find it very hard to have any enthusiasm to build anything at all if we're just gonna wipe it out and start fresh every few months.

Seconded, I know Shorewood was helped along with Creative/Inf. Blocks/what-have-you. But before that, I spent more hours than I can recall gathering material and placing everything legitimately. I spent even more time swimming/climbing back up to my work area after I had fallen I know a lot of people don't feel as attached to their creatively assisted creations, but I wasn't just following a blue print down there.

Now, if I could the a download of the map, I would probably be a little less reluctant to a fresh start.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, there's no denying there's some truly great builds on this map. Probably the best we've had over the duration of the server's life to be honest. People grow attached to their little pieces of the world and it's not surprising that some wouldn't want to lose it or have to start from scratch. I feel the same nostalgia about all our maps and I'd love to have bits of everything from every one we've had all in one place. End of the day though, we're a small community as it is, activity is most important for me and I can handle losing stuff for that sake.

• Tyler likes this

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I never like to dwell on old work, my new stuff's always going to be better anyway. That's how we should treat this possible move.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 19:55)
I never like to dwell on old work, my new stuff's always going to be better anyway. That's how we should treat this possible move.

It's not old work if it's not finished yet tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users