Photo

Hurricane Isaac

11 replies to this topic
4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Florida and Louisiana declare state of emergency as Hurricane Isaac heads for Gulf Coast

"Hundreds of flights have been cancelled and thousands of people evacuated as Tropical Storm Isaac picks up strength in the Gulf of Mexico.
Alabama joined Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana yesterday in declaring a state of emergency as Isaac looms.

A hurricane warning was issued for parts of Louisiana east of Morgan City, which includes the New Orleans area.
More than 50,000 residents of the St. Charles Parish in southeast Louisiana have been told to leave and Gov Bobby Jindal had also suggested that anyone in low-lying parts of the state's coastal parishes evacuate.

Isaac had earlier lashed the Florida Keys with strong winds and heavy rain.

user posted image
Isaac is expected to be a strong category 2 hurricane when it comes ashore late Tuesday or Wednesday.

Airlines cancelled hundreds of flights as the storm lashed southeastern Florida. Airports in Miami and Fort Lauderdale were hit the hardest, cancelling 573 flights - the vast majority of the 654 U.S. flights grounded overall because of the storm as of Sunday morning.

The winds are expected to increase and exceed 105 miles per hour. Isaac earlier brought havoc to the Caribbean, killing seven people in Haiti and downing trees and power lines in Cuba. The tropical storm bore down on Haiti's southern peninsula on Saturday, leading to three deaths and dumping torrential rain in areas that are still trying to recover from the 2010 earthquake."

So, is anyone being affected by this in anyway? I'd barely heard much about this until now. I can imagine hurricanes being pretty scary, due to the amount of destruction they cause.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Just another perk of living in the bible belt, never know when death will come down from the sky and sweep our loved ones away. I hope this doesn't get as bad as that sh*t that hit last April, I'd pray to a sky god that it doesn't if I believed in one but I'll just send out positive frequencies from my mind instead.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

Dude, I'm in Ohio and even we were given a warning of Isaac's remnants bringing floods and high winds. This is bigger than just the South coast... nervous.gif

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:40 PM Edited by Chunkyman, 27 August 2012 - 06:43 PM.

I imagine the person who decided that the Republican convention will be in Tampa is feeling like an idiot right now.

I would have chosen Hawaii.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Chunkyman @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 18:40)
I imagine the person who decided that the Republican convention will be in Tampa is feeling like an idiot right now.

I wonder what Michelle Bachmann's take on this is.

Kippers
  • Kippers

何歳ですか

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:13 PM Edited by kippers., 27 August 2012 - 07:15 PM.

Never understood why people choose to live in areas that a permanently (as in at least once a year) under threat of potentially very powerful hurricanes. The idea of possibly losing your house and rebuilding every time there's a weather warning like this seems illogical... To me who's living inland in the UK.

there must be some hella nice perks the rest of the year in Florida - and surrounding areas - to outweigh that risk though??

Hope it just turns out to be a small gust of wind and everyone affected is safe icon14.gif

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

My area just got hit with a thundershower that I suspect has something to do with Isaac. I don't understand why this needs a topic though, it's just another hurricane, there are a few of those every year.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (kippers. @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 20:13)
there must be some hella nice perks the rest of the year in Florida - and surrounding areas - to outweigh that risk though??

Well the TV usually makes it look worse than it is, except New Orleans with Katrina cause that was bad, from my own eyes I'll tell you that. But usually it's not that bad, it's like those storms we had over the Winter here in Blighty, and they're usually been and gone within a 48 hour window they your back to normal.. so for that half a dozen times a years when for the rest your get nice weather... I'd take that.

One guy they talked to on the TV in the Keys was asked about an impending hurricane, he just compared it to a Friday night storm, nothing to worry about.

jlamay
  • jlamay

Lost In Liberty City

• Members

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'm in Ohio as well. We are going to get rain, but no high winds. Their saying Sunday we might get heavy rain.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Chunkyman @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 13:40)

I would have chosen Hawaii.

It's not hitting Tampa that badly, despite what every news station's weather report has been saying for the past few days - they had it going towards Louisiana and then suddenly, inexplicably making landfall right in Tampa. The only problem with them choosing Tampa is now they have to deal with all the bullsh*t - if they don't cancel or whatever, sure as f*ck somebody will be bitching about how they were continuing while the gulf was getting hit and all that sh*t.

BullworthAcademy
  • BullworthAcademy

Can't wait for Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

When I heard about this,I thought "WTF? Isaac Clarke from Dead Space turns into a hurricane?" mercie_blink.gif

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 20:59)
QUOTE (Chunkyman @ Monday, Aug 27 2012, 18:40)

I wonder what Michelle Bachmann's take on this is.

Hahaha! I was joking with someone this very same thing the other day, given that she once said "It's God's plan [for her to be President]".

The joke I made was that this election year, just like in 2008, the RNC is condensed because it occurs during a week of a hurricane. So someone should come out and say "It's God's plan".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users