Photo

Improving The Sprint Mechanic

31 replies to this topic
cbiscuit93
  • cbiscuit93

Pink Bandana

• Members

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

I think GTA V could really benefit from a change in the way our character runs.
In past GTA's, in order to sprint, we had to repeatedly tap A/X.
What I think should be done, is simply make it so holding A is enough to sprint.

In SA & Vice City, you could run by holding the button, but you would eventually get tired & stop. Then in GTA IV, they made it so you could only jog by holding the button, you had to tap it if you wanted to sprint.

We should be able to slightly push the thumb stick to walk, push it all the way to jog, and hold A/X to sprint indeffintly. (Or not indeffintly, that'd be alright)

Honestly my main reason for suggesting this, is so that we could double tap A/X to roll, just like in Max Payne 3. After playing MP3, I go back to RDR and IV and find that the roll, and the way in which you roll, is pretty shabby. GTA V could really benefit from incorporating that mechanic.

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

Nah keep it how it is, I always thought it was a good way to simulate sprinting, the faster you tap the faster you run. Just holding down a button makes me think of driving as opposed to running.

NudasPriest
  • NudasPriest

Midnight Toker

• Members

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

What makes sense to me:

When you have no weapon out, pushing the stick all the way is a walk, hold the button to run and tap it to sprint.

Then when you have a weapon in hand, you tap the button to toggle walk/run and hold it down to sprint.

This way, you'd be able to jog while aiming, WITHOUT having to hold down the Run button, like in GTA IV singleplayer (MP actually is different, you push it half way to walk, all the way to jog, and hold it down to sprint).

And then you could hold down the jump button to climb stuff, dive out of the way of cars (hopefully), or normally jump, and then double tap it to roll or something.

What I would like to see is the ability to bob/weave, move your characters body while aiming. Think about this: when you hold down left trigger to aim, you could tap a button, don't know which one, that would make your character do a quick duck or a flinching type animation, so you don't have to resort to strafing left-right in a firefight all the time. Like if you could manually do a context sensitive dodge animation like the enemies in MP3 do; those f*ckers gets real hard to hit on the later levels without bullet time.

But anyway, as long as they take what they learned in RDR/MP3 then I'm happy.

Ryanbashaw
  • Ryanbashaw

Seattle, Washington

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

I just want the animation to look more fluid and less stiff

cbiscuit93
  • cbiscuit93

Pink Bandana

• Members

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:00 AM Edited by cbiscuit93, 24 August 2012 - 10:05 AM.

QUOTE (NudasPriest @ Friday, Aug 24 2012, 07:35)
What makes sense to me:

When you have no weapon out, pushing the stick all the way is a walk, hold the button to run and tap it to sprint.

Then when you have a weapon in hand, you tap the button to toggle walk/run and hold it down to sprint.

This way, you'd be able to jog while aiming, WITHOUT having to hold down the Run button, like in GTA IV singleplayer (MP actually is different, you push it half way to walk, all the way to jog, and hold it down to sprint).

And then you could hold down the jump button to climb stuff, dive out of the way of cars (hopefully), or normally jump, and then double tap it to roll or something.

What I would like to see is the ability to bob/weave, move your characters body while aiming. Think about this: when you hold down left trigger to aim, you could tap a button, don't know which one, that would make your character do a quick duck or a flinching type animation, so you don't have to resort to strafing left-right in a firefight all the time. Like if you could manually do a context sensitive dodge animation like the enemies in MP3 do; those f*ckers gets real hard to hit on the later levels without bullet time.

But anyway, as long as they take what they learned in RDR/MP3 then I'm happy.

Yeah you have some good ideas. I was just playing RDR and noticed that the running is different when you have a gun out, which is kind of what you were saying.

I just really want more mobility for the character. MP3 is nearly perfect, the only thing I don't like (And it doesn't even bother me, I just know it could be better) is that when you roll, you basically just curl into a ball and remain moving at the same speed. It should be more of a dive into the roll, because the way it is now doesn't really help evade what ever danger is coming at you.

SARDYNA108
  • SARDYNA108

Spammaster

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (cbiscuit93 @ Friday, Aug 24 2012, 06:49)
What I think should be done, is simply make it so holding A is enough to sprint.

In SA & Vice City, you could run by holding the button, but you would eventually get tired & stop. Then in GTA IV, they made it so you could only jog by holding the button, you had to tap it if you wanted to sprint.

We should be able to slightly push the thumb stick to walk, push it all the way to jog, and hold A/X to sprint indeffintly. (Or not indeffintly, that'd be alright)

Honestly my main reason for suggesting this, is so that we could double tap A/X to roll, just like in Max Payne 3. After playing MP3, I go back to RDR and IV and find that the roll, and the way in which you roll, is pretty shabby. GTA V could really benefit from incorporating that mechanic.

Who cares? I use Shift to sprint icon14.gif

Grand Theft Auto 5 Fan
  • Grand Theft Auto 5 Fan

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

They dont need to change it keep the controls the same as GTAIV there good smile.gif

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

The basic controls were fine, but the animation and reaction speed could be better. Also walking with a gun out and aimed was too slow. IV's control scheme with Max Payne 3 reaction speed and fluidity icon14.gif

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

I thought the controls in GTAIV were fine, although the gameplay itself was a bit clunky.

22ka
  • 22ka

VETRON

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

All that needs to be improved is the walking speed. The more you push the stick the faster he walks(not just one speed) and I really don't want a super slow motion walk either.

If you've played IV online(especially in a major deathmatch) you will know that sometimes you will miss your cover cause you were moving too fast without pressing X. I tell you this because they are using this method there.

Starz
  • Starz

Niko

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

I like the sprinting the way it is at the moment. I don't think it should be changed. Holding X is good for a little jog while if your getting chased by the cops you need to keep repeatedly tapping X which is fun and immerses you in the game. I don't think they should make much changes to the controls.

DRN94
  • DRN94

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

So not only is the player not physically running but also wants to not make their poor little finger work so hard to make their character sprint? Lazy pricks...

bowling...?
  • bowling...?

Turkey

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

I like it the way it is and has always been. It doesn't hurt to tap a button. The protags run out of breath before your thumb even begins to hurt.

inflamedeyeball
  • inflamedeyeball

New Carcass album coming this year!

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

I made a topic like this a while back; glad to see more people caring about this. How far you push the left stick should matter on foot.

The topic: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=509814

grandola
  • grandola

Southern Comfort

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

I agree with OP. Tap to roll all the way!

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (DRN94 @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 23:28)
So not only is the player not physically running but also wants to not make their poor little finger work so hard to make their character sprint?  Lazy pricks...

Couldn't have said it better myself, If constantly pressing X is effort for anyone, maybe it's time to turn off the console and get some exercise.

LeThaL AsSeT
  • LeThaL AsSeT

F*ck Yo CoucH NyuGGa!!!

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

does it really make sense to fix something that really isnt broken, the sprint mechanic is the last thing we need fix

- the melee mechanics need an over haul
- the driving mechanics IMO need to be revamped
- the health/damage system can use some work too

bowling...?
  • bowling...?

Turkey

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (LeThaL AsSeT @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 23:45)
does it really make sense to fix something that really isnt broken, the sprint mechanic is the last thing we need fix

What's wrong with health system? Just want your opinion, not being a jackass.

cbiscuit93
  • cbiscuit93

Pink Bandana

• Members

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

To the people who are saying saying I'm lazy and what not, for this, wtf?
When did I say tapping A was too much effort? If you read my post, you'd see that the reason I wanted a change was to enable a better roll mechanic, like the one in MP3.
You're just pulling poop out of the air and puttin it in my mouth.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

I want to say that I love the GTA sprinting mechanic. The one from III, VC, and SA. IV was the same, except that it NEEDED the hold to trot, where in SA for example, you could walk by lightly pressing the analog, and CJ would trot then jog until the analog was fully pressed. Then, holding X made him a little faster, and drained his stamina quickly, while tapping it would make him full on sprint, only nibbling at the stamina - faster and longer running for the reward of tapping instead of holding.

Awesome system. There is a little known fact that claude and tommy got longer stamina for running just as CJ did, it just wasn't ever mentioned in the game as far as I know, but sure enough, you can hold to sprint when roaming around and over time, with each complete-empty of that bar, it would be just a little longer the next time tounge.gif

I love the mechanics for movement throughout the series, I hope that the player controller can feel more like III, VC, SA now (think of the agility in the footwork of basketball players in recent basketball games as well as in the real world, or football players avoiding tackles in the real world) but still come with the benefit of Euphoria. I guess I'd really like to see good, synthetic footwork and agility like the old games had. A more realistic reaction time to the player, and not a slow stop-turn-dig or a steer-like-a-boat, but instead a quick stop-turn-dig, and turns on a dime, like a person can do. I really liked playing as Niko, but I felt like it was really sluggy and didn't have to be. I'd like to see the controls be more responsive like they used to be, and do all that slow stuff in IV a little faster to make it feel that way.

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (cbiscuit93 @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 23:55)
When did I say tapping A was too much effort? If you read my post, you'd see that the reason I wanted a change was to enable a better roll mechanic, like the one in MP3.

No one accused you It's just something I've heard a worrying amount of times over the past year. That being said GTA doesn't really need a roll/run button, rolling was decent in IV and perfected in RDR.

LeThaL AsSeT
  • LeThaL AsSeT

F*ck Yo CoucH NyuGGa!!!

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (bowling...? @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 23:47)
QUOTE (LeThaL AsSeT @ Saturday, Aug 25 2012, 23:45)

What's wrong with health system? Just want your opinion, not being a jackass.

I dont know Im not really into the GTA IV health system cuz it takes two shots at the least to kill someone and thats a head shot im talking about, in reality if I am good enoguh to hit someone in the head just once I should be rewarded

But then again I dont really like the Re-Gen system In RDR and MP3 cuz its unrealistic, Basically with a Re-Gen system were all wolverine/super soldiers that heal within a couple of seconds of being shot, but then again that system actually rewards you for getting a headshot

IMO the health system should be a Mix of the two systems both GTA IVs bar system with a bit of health Re-Gen or They can make up a completely new health system but I have no clue what they could come up with

Stopped
  • Stopped

Epsilon Follower

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE (LeThaL AsSeT @ Sunday, Aug 26 2012, 00:05)
I dont know Im not really into the GTA IV health system cuz it takes two shots at the least to kill someone and thats a head shot im talking about, in reality if I am good enoguh to hit someone in the head just once I should be rewarded

But then again I dont really like the Re-Gen system In RDR and MP3 cuz its unrealistic, Basically with a Re-Gen system were all wolverine/super soldiers that heal within a couple of seconds of being shot, but then again that system actually rewards you for getting a headshot

IMO the health system should be a Mix of the two systems both GTA IVs bar system with a bit of health Re-Gen or They can make up a completely new health system but I have no clue what they could come up with

First of all, learn how to type. Secondly, the health system in GTA has always been pretty much the same, they're not going to change it just because you want a reward for an auto-aim headshot.

Shou
  • Shou

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (SARDYNA108 @ Friday, Aug 24 2012, 11:14)

Who cares? I use Shift to sprint icon14.gif

Yup same here icon14.gif

cbiscuit93
  • cbiscuit93

Pink Bandana

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (Gregers08 @ Sunday, Aug 26 2012, 00:03)

No one accused you It's just something I've heard a worrying amount of times over the past year. That being said GTA doesn't really need a roll/run button, rolling was decent in IV and perfected in RDR.

I really don't feel as though it was perfected at all in RDR.
Maybe a bit better than IV but no where near perfect.
The biggest problem with it, is that you have to aim to roll. You should be able to roll without pressing the left trigger and A/X.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

Sleeping Dogs handles it perfectly.

In buildings you walk by default, when outside you hold L2 to walk and hold X to sprint.

LeThaL AsSeT
  • LeThaL AsSeT

F*ck Yo CoucH NyuGGa!!!

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (Stopped @ Sunday, Aug 26 2012, 00:10)
QUOTE (LeThaL AsSeT @ Sunday, Aug 26 2012, 00:05)

First of all, learn how to type. Secondly, the health system in GTA has always been pretty much the same, they're not going to change it just because you want a reward for an auto-aim headshot.

the thing is I dont use auto aim, secondly how do you know there not gunna change the auto aim system if anything its gunna be a re-gen system so....

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (cbiscuit93 @ Sunday, Aug 26 2012, 00:29)

The biggest problem with it, is that you have to aim to roll. You should be able to roll without pressing the left trigger and A/X.

But why do you need to roll if you aren't in combat? One problem with double tapping X to roll is sometimes it doesn't register and you end up just sprinting instead, with the current system you always know that the roll will work without hitch not to mention It's about as quick as double tapping X if you press the buttons fast enough.

cbiscuit93
  • cbiscuit93

Pink Bandana

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (Gregers08 @ Sunday, Aug 26 2012, 01:12)
QUOTE (cbiscuit93 @ Sunday, Aug 26 2012, 00:29)

But why do you need to roll if you aren't in combat? One problem with double tapping X to roll is sometimes it doesn't register and you end up just sprinting instead, with the current system you always know that the roll will work without hitch not to mention It's about as quick as double tapping X if you press the buttons fast enough.

Well examples for needing to roll out of comba are dodging vehicles & dodging explosions. You could say dodging explosions is combat, but if I'm just walking down the street and someone tosses a grenade at me, I shouldn't have to pick my gun up, aim, then roll. I should be able to just immidietly roll ou of the way.

And also I disagree with what you're saying about how it might no register, and that the aim+roll system aleays works. In MP3 the double tap never ever ever fails me. And the past few days I've been playing RDR, the roll deffentily does not work each time, because if you press it too fast like what you're saying should be done, you'll wind up pressing both buttons at the same time, and he'll either just jump, or aim. In order for it to register you have to first aim, then press the button to roll.

ryan_J
  • ryan_J

GTA FOR LIFE !

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

Leave it as it is in my opinion there is no need to fix something that isn't broken or improve something that can't be improved!

Sure it could be tweaked but I see nothing wrong with the way it is now!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users