» «
Photo

Beta 3.3 files released!

308 replies to this topic
Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:07 PM Edited by Craig Kostelecky, 24 August 2012 - 08:38 PM.

Download Beta 3.3 - thanks samutz for the hosting
Beta 3.3 Update - Last updated August 23
SFX Add-on: Download

After about 2 years and 4 months, we are releasing a new public beta, version 3.3.

But hey, what happened to 3.2? Well, 3.2 exists, it just never saw the light of day because there were many bugs in it and the primary contributor's computer crashed so things could not be fixed easily at all. If anybody is curious, they can try out the 3.2 files here. The only cool feature that made it into 3.2 that's not in 3.3 is the cutscene heads were converted and working. We are trying to find a way to redo that for the next relaese.

Okay, enough about beta 3.2, what's new with 3.3? Thanks largely to SilentPL, this mod has had a great revival. Most of the changes were behind the scenes in cleaning up the exe modifying files. A few missions have been updated with proper GTA3 opcode functions. He has also helped make the scm code a lot cleaner and bug free. Speaking of the scm, with the exception of the insane stunts thread (which was largely taken from VC) every variable has the proper name that Rockstar gave them. A few missions have been redone into high level coding.

There are a few rewards given out if the player can complete the game to 100%. Please give it a try as that's the best way to completely bug test it. And I don't know if I will have the time to complete everything to 100%. It's been a while since I gave Gripped! a try.

I'm forgetting a lot of new features, and some I'll let the users find themselves. Please help us test these missions out so we can have the next version be as bug free as possible. Speaking of the next version, we are getting closer and closer to releasing GTA: Liberty City Final v1.0. The next big thing we are going to work on is to try and import the peds and actor models from the XBOX version. Not only will they look better, but they will likely be easier to port functionality for cutscenes.

I'd also like to thank Ash_735 and rmws. for their help as well. It is greatly appreciated.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:42 PM Edited by SteaVor, 14 August 2012 - 07:46 PM.

Great to see a new public release!

But:

It crashes for me - going to find out what's wrong.

One crash has been resolved by disabling DEP (this step is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY on all x64 version of Windows to get gta-vc.exe to run), but now it's crashing when starting a new game. Am I supposed to not see any sign of a loading bar at all?

Oh, and I DID create a new copy of an unmodified install of VC instead of copying the new files into an exsiting LC 3.1 install, so there should be no conflicts with older ASIs, ASI loader files etc. - this is probably also something to add to my installation guide.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Tuesday, Aug 14 2012, 14:42)
One crash has been resolved by disabling DEP (this step is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY on all x64 version of Windows to get gta-vc.exe to run)

I'm running on Windows 7 64-bit and I do not recall ever doing that.

Which exe are you using? I'm not positive that it works on all of them that are out there.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

All is well now - I was missing an audio file in \Audio, "Verify paths" button saved the day once again. No crash anymore, played the first 3 missions, everything's fine.

You're right, DEP does not need to be disabled for most EXEs I just tried - only for the NoCD EXE I used. I do seem to remember that there had been issues with legit, CD-enforcing executables quite some time ago when I wrote the Beta3.1 installation guide (where I had mentioned disabling DEP as well), but I can't seem to reproduce it now with the subset of executables available to me at the moment.

What about the size of the radar blips? They were much smaller in GTA3, if I recall correctly.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

I think it shouldn't be altered in LC, as VC (so does LC) have up/down blips. They would look off if they were bigger than regular radar blip.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

yeah, I forgot about them. I thought you'd just need to modify a scaling factor for all the blips, but that would probably mean that you could hardly differentiate between the Up/Down blips if you made them as small as the usual blips in GTA3.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Which audio file were you missing? Is it one I should have in the package? And I agree with Silent, the blibs should stay as they are.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:37 PM Edited by SteaVor, 14 August 2012 - 09:40 PM.

The files in the package are fine, nothing's missing there - I was missing a file that Windows obviously failed to copy from the GTA3 Audio folder to the GTALC one.

Just thought I'd note my observation about the blips - I thought it was strange that all of the other visual elementas had been changed to reflect the original GTA3 settings, but the blips had not. It hadn't occured to me that the VC-specific (and very useful) up/down blips would be affected as well. I don't want the size of the blips changed either.

LCSurvivor
  • LCSurvivor

X

• Members

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

Just installed it on my Windows 7 64-bit machine, disabled UAC, added compatibility mode, and verified all audio file paths. It starts up, but when I try to start a new game, the bar loads fully, and then LC crashes. The windows error box mentions the crash is due to vcopcodes.asi. Does anyone know what could be going wrong?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

Hmm. What exe are you using? And what files are in the root of your LC directory? And finally, is your LC directory in your program files folder?

LCSurvivor
  • LCSurvivor

X

• Members

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Wednesday, Aug 15 2012, 03:12)
Hmm. What exe are you using? And what files are in the root of your LC directory? And finally, is your LC directory in your program files folder?

Both the NOCD .exe and the original (euro?) .exe from the original CD.
Files:
gta-lc.asi
gta-lc.exe
gta-lc.ini
gta-vc.exe (NOCD)
gta-vcORIG.exe (Original file)
IIItoVC.asi
Mss32.dll
Mss32Hooked.dll
vc_traffic.asi
vc_traffic.cfg
vc_weather.asi
vc_weather.cfg
vcopcode.asi
vcversion.dll
All relevant files come from the Beta 3.3 you posted.

The path for my folder is C:\Grand Theft Auto Liberty City.
I was thinking GTA:VC just doesn't run on Windows 7 64bit, but you posted you were running the same operating system.

Anyway, I used to enjoy this mod greatly years ago, played it for hours on end. If it won't work for me, it's still a great work, all you guys! Keep it up, you're almost done.

Mr. Jago
  • Mr. Jago

it's pancake time

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Perhaps try different cracks, or setting your VC exe to Windows 98 compatibility (then deleting your .set files).

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:56 PM Edited by Craig Kostelecky, 15 August 2012 - 09:01 PM.

Known issue: There is a crash with the mission UNDER SURVEILLANCE. We are working on a proper fix, but until then your game can be changed to make that mission work by opening up the default.ide file (data folder) and changing the Rumpo and Enforcer's anims flag from null to van. As of right now, the opening chase cutscene only works with that flag set to null, but we didn't realize that would break other missions. Silent is looking into how to accomplish both without changing that file.

I'm at 57% right now in my test and that's been the first crash I've seen so far.

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:44 PM Edited by glenster, 16 August 2012 - 05:50 AM.

I have Vista 32 bit. I installed 3.3 using the installation instructions for
Beta 3.1 (without 31update.rar since I figured it would be included with 3.3.).
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=446025

The instructions say not to copy SFX.raw and sfx.SDT from GTA III/audio, but
my game disk Audio folder doesn't have SFX.raw and sfx.SDT, so I copied the en-
tire contents of it. I installed the separate SFX package. The instructions say
to run FinishInstall.bat but the only thing like that I found was AudioClean-
up.bat, so I ran that.

The mod runs fine except I don't have audio for the El Train. Are you sup-
posed to be able to hear it?

v Thanks, and like a lot of people I'm looking forward to the completed mod!

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

I'm not sure if there is a sound tied to the train. And the sfx did not change at all since 3.1, so you wouldn't have had to do anything with that.

LCSurvivor
  • LCSurvivor

X

• Members

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

So, the debug script finally let me have a few seconds on the bridge before crashing and sending me a report, included.

It seems it has trouble with cutscenes? I hope that's helpful.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Somehow your game fails at reading cuts.img.

SomeGuy86
  • SomeGuy86

Dodo Pilot

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

Wow, so glad to see this project back on its tracks, it's been a loooong time smile.gif
Here's a couple of questions for you guys...

1) Did you fix that audio/installation issue? I remember installing the earlier version of GTA: LC, and for some reason it didn't want to start until I applied those blank dummy audio files, even though I DO have both III and Vice. (bought the trilogy pack, about a year ago). And yes, I followed the readme files down to a letter, several times, I just couldn't get it to work properly confused.gif

2) This, latest version mostly features EXE changes, right? So is it now compatible with MVL mod? A while ago, someone suggested the idea of integration with MVL, but after the long struggle to start LC, I found that the previous version wasn't compatible with MVL loader.

Otherwise great job guys, and way the go for not giving up, after all this time icon14.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:13 AM

What's mvl?

Mr. Jago
  • Mr. Jago

it's pancake time

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Wednesday, Aug 15 2012, 18:13)
What's mvl?

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=477801

Nifty little thing, great for adding cut stretches and VC/III themed Premiers.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

That would be nice to have with this mod. But if our exe modifications make it so that mod is not compaitible with LC, then it would be up to Maxo to make an LC compatible version. And it would likely be best to wait on that until the mod has released the final version (as there will be little to no exe modifications after that point)

@SomeGuy86, we will likely have a new installer at some point that will handle audio differently. I hope we'll get it right when that time comes.

SomeGuy86
  • SomeGuy86

Dodo Pilot

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Thursday, Aug 16 2012, 13:44)
That would be nice to have with this mod. But if our exe modifications make it so that mod is not compaitible with LC, then it would be up to Maxo to make an LC compatible version. And it would likely be best to wait on that until the mod has released the final version (as there will be little to no exe modifications after that point)

@SomeGuy86, we will likely have a new installer at some point that will handle audio differently. I hope we'll get it right when that time comes.

Okie-dokie, thank you smile.gif

As for MVL, it's a vehicle loader, capable to add unlimited amount (at least that's what I can tell at the moment lol) of vehicles... Not only they appear in traffic, but can be also used by AI, as the police cars, ambulance & and so on. (along the original vehicles of course, so you might have multiple cop cars chasing you, or different ambulance every time)

It's also capable to load SA model files without conversion & have special abilities such as minigun or bodywork tuning, just like in SA. Sorry for going slightly off-topic, just figured I'd explain what MVL really is wink.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Just completed the main storyline. Now I just have to do A Ride in the park, Gripped!, about 45 taxis, SSV fires, Airport Aggression, and 14 rampages. There's been a few bugs along the way, but nothing that can't be fixed easily.

Claude Liberty
  • Claude Liberty

Talkative like never before

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:59 PM Edited by Claude Liberty, 17 August 2012 - 01:16 PM.

You mean cutheads' animations are absent in Beta3.3?
EDIT: How do I install this? Unpack onto clean VC or previous LC? Use SFX addon from Beta3.1 download page? Copy audio folder from GTA3 CD?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Correct, we could have had them, but it would have meant introducing many more bugs into the mod. We are working on reverse engineering ModellingMan's reverse engineered files for the next version.

Claude Liberty
  • Claude Liberty

Talkative like never before

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Installed by unpacking it onto clean VC with 2.94mb NoCD applied. Runs fine. As for me, it crashed after completing loading because of CLEO. One question. Why are you still using lowres (lower than even original) textures of car shadow, carname/location font, etc?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I didn't realize we were. I know nothing of any kind of mapping files, so I'm not able to change anything myself. If someone wants todo anything to improve the mod, I will not stop them smile.gif

To answer your install question, it's best to overwrite the 3.1 files with the 3.3 package. The next version will likely have an installer that will do everything from scratch.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

I just completed my first 100%* run. There were a couple of bugs along the way. I have already released an updated scm that allows you to pass each mission without having to start a new game. Now I am shifting my focus to cleaning up the code for so it will work properly with a new game (and look like it should).

Chaperone, the two missions that use the crusher, Uzi Rider, Toyminator, the IE garages and EV crane all had issues that will be fixed with the next scm release. Most of these were due to me replacing all of the variable names with the ones Rockstar used and I had a few copy/paste errors. There may have been more missions that had bugs, but I do not have my notes with me right now.

Besides the crashes I had relating to the above issues, this mod was VERY stable.

*I cheated with one of the headshot rampages and Gripped! to make it easier to pass everything. I admit it.

Pro_Gamer
  • Pro_Gamer

• Members

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

My game crashes at 1% of loading with your modified exe and 75% with original.

Exception at address: 0x0048AD71 EXE Version: gta-vc.exe 1.0 US Registers EAX: 0x0000050E EBX: 0x00000000 ECX: 0x00000000 EDX: 0x00000924 ESI: 0x0012FB10 EDI: 0x007120D8 EBP: 0x0012FB18 ESP: 0x0012FAEC EFLAGS: 1000010000001001000110

PS: I have very clean VC.

Cveni
  • Cveni

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

All you guys have my great respect for keeping this project alive. I can't wait for final release and I'm happy that after all these years you still want to finish this mod. Though most of us out there can't help in making it because of for example lack of knowledge, you still have our support and we hope for the best for you, LC Team smile.gif

Keep it up guys and good luck with all your future work icon14.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users