What if GTA V is the last... in a box?

100 replies to this topic
Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Hy2RoGeN @ Tuesday, Aug 14 2012, 09:35)
imagine someone that wants GTA VI (if it comes out) but he has slow internet and u can only get it online through steam or whatever.. it'd take a whole damn week to get a game that large..

Imagine when he's finished downloading, some of the files are corrupted, he has to re-download it.

He'll end up breaking into a buisness, so that he can use their high speed fibre connection to finally get his game.

He will then go to jail and the media will say "A game made this poor f*ck break into a store, GTA made him do it!"

That's exactly where we will be if things go digital only.

AlfredNTheFettuc
  • AlfredNTheFettuc

Hellbanned but not

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

I hope not.
I hardly ever buy games from Steam - getting them in boxes is cheaper and better because my country's worthless currency makes Steam useless for new, full-price games.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

depends on how the digital distribution is handled. Every xbox live transaction I've done has felt like a ripoff. If that's the future, count me out.. steam is pretty cool though.

Afusensi
  • Afusensi

BUSTED!

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

I am used to the download concept already. I never buy boxed games anymore. Steam is awesome.
They could have both like they have now (boxed and download), and lower the price of downloads.

The__Phoenix
  • The__Phoenix

aka bud23

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Magic_Al, you forget EA´s Moore words; "We will never abandon physical media. As long as the consumer wants to buy something on a disc, we will be there to offer it."

http://www.gamesindu...-to-three-years

Attending To Zelnick´s(T2 CEO) words,We should be optimistic;

"Packaged goods isn't going away for our business... because we have huge file sizes,"

"It's pretty hard to interact with huge file sizes where latency issues are meaningful, if you're entirely in the cloud,"

“I think you can see digital distribution growing to be 20, 30, 40 per cent of our business – however I believe our business is going to grow, so I don’t think it actually takes a bite out of retail and I doubt it takes a bite out of consoles,”
"While we're not exactly platform-agnostic... the fact that a middle-sized platform is going to grow is phenomenal news for us. The most important news for us is, how great is our next title."

Zelnick(T2 CEO) on gamasutra;Digital Growth Won't Cannibalize Packaged Biz
http://www.gamasutra...t=Google Reader

Jakee.
  • Jakee.

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

I don't think it will be the last, however the Digital Side of things is coming.

One thing you need to remember is,not everyone has the high speed internet connections to download such large quantitys of data, and until they start shipping PlaystationNext and XboxNext with terrabyte+ drives(solid state too,which is hella-expensive) we aren't going nowhere. Games can be anywhere in the gigabytes, the harddrive I have(250gb) is completely full of installed games, I only have a about 7 on there.

I hope this is considered, because fair enough we can get our games straight from a digital download, but that is completely ruling out brick and mortar stores, also stores like zavvi and shopto. Microsoft & Playstation are obviously pushing their next consoles out to be as greedy as possible, but if they don't think about a) the actual space needed and b) not everyone has the speed possible for digital downloads.

I know for me, it takes ~45 minutes to download 1.2gb of data from Xbox Marketplace, that is normally the size of a Demo. So, imagine a 20gb game, im looking at half the day there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-17130367

But I will be really sad to see them go, Rockstar put a lot of effort into the cover art and the contents of their boxes, and seem to be the only developer left who actually put instruction manuals into their games.

stueycow
  • stueycow

The Military of Mobile Defense Recon Capt.

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

it wont happen as

1. All GTA's have posters a PS3/ Xbox Dose not have a built in printer
2. Lots of people like having a box

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (stueycow @ Tuesday, Aug 14 2012, 10:24)
it wont happen as

It's coming and I hope it don't come too soon.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (stueycow @ Tuesday, Aug 14 2012, 10:24)
it wont happen as

somehow that made me laugh... colgate.gif

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Merry Christmas, you filthy animal

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Well they still can make artworks and release them in digital form as an icon on your account, as wallpaper.

Even though I like digital distribution, for games like GTA I prefer having a box.

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

I dispise the idea of digital only, i've been downloading the sims 3 update through origin for an hour almost (108kbps) i'd hate to be downloading a full game.

DarrenC1888
  • DarrenC1888

Celtic FC Manchester United Champions!

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Will be a sad day if that happens.

FloridaGatorPride
  • FloridaGatorPride

GatorPride24

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Well, times are changing so. I dont mind as long as it dont take f*cking 6 hours just to download on my ps3! confused.gif

huevos_benedicto_180
  • huevos_benedicto_180

Spring 2013

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

I really don't want games to go digital...I much prefer having a box. But, times change, and it'll be more environmentally friendly so there's that going for it.

Above
  • Above

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

I don't see why a digital download would mean the end of the classic GTA artwork. In case it happens I will miss the content inside the box the most.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Tuesday, Aug 14 2012, 03:03)
This will probably piss people off, but I ain't even mad.

Yeah and I'm one of these people who would be pissed of. I know that Steam is cheaper than any game on the store in the next street or whatever but I like such covers. It makes the happiness that I bought a high-quality-game a lot better. If games in the future are just downloadable and not in the stores anymore then it have even disadvantages. Gaming stores would close because they can only sell old games from the time where games as physical disk existed and that doesn't make much money. So we can surely say gaming stores would die out. I wouldn't like this because not everybody has super-fast-DSL at home. I for one have WLAN but only 8GB per month and it download only with 250kb/s and that's slow as f*ck. confused.gif

Simon_V
  • Simon_V

Red Dead Undead

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:29 PM Edited by Simon_V, 14 August 2012 - 04:16 PM.

I hope not whatsthat.gif ... it would be a dumb idea + I like to have a physical copy if it's possible, rather then a digital.

Imagine downloading a PlayStation 3 Exclusive like Uncharted or God Of War, with the size of 25GB+... it would take hours to download the complete game on u'r HDD.

My answer... stick to Physical Copy.

AlfredNTheFettuc
  • AlfredNTheFettuc

Hellbanned but not

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Just want to ask Westerners something: if Steam is cheaper than retail where you live, just how much retail PC games cost? I just can't imagine it.

TheD94
  • TheD94

Undead

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Digital download? What the f*ck man! If that's so, then I must wait probably more than a day for the download and the internet will be slowed down to 5% speed because of that. Oh my god, to hell with this idea and I hope it burns there forever. It's faster to go to the store and buy it there than doing it only online. But I wouldn't mind if it's optional. I would only mind if it's the only way to buy a GTA game!

I am sure that Rockstar Games won't do this stupid sh*t. They aren't dumb and they never dissapoint.
And yes, I have a problem with digital game downloads. And I am not only mad for myself. Everyone with poor internet would understand what I mean. confused.gif

PureGold
  • PureGold

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (AlfredNTheFettuc @ Tuesday, Aug 14 2012, 12:35)
Just want to ask Westerners something: if Steam is cheaper than retail where you live, just how much retail PC games cost? I just can't imagine it.

To be fair they are usually about the same price or slightly more expensive, not as expensive as console games.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:00 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 14 August 2012 - 01:46 PM.

QUOTE (bud23 @ Tuesday, Aug 14 2012, 10:20)
Magic_Al, you forget EA´s Moore words; "We will never abandon physical media. As long as the consumer wants to buy something on a disc, we will be there to offer it."

http://www.gamesindu...-to-three-years

Attending To Zelnick´s(T2 CEO) words,We should be optimistic;

"Packaged goods isn't going away for our business... because we have huge file sizes,"

"It's pretty hard to interact with huge file sizes where latency issues are meaningful, if you're entirely in the cloud,"

“I think you can see digital distribution growing to be 20, 30, 40 per cent of our business – however I believe our business is going to grow, so I don’t think it actually takes a bite out of retail and I doubt it takes a bite out of consoles,”
"While we're not exactly platform-agnostic... the fact that a middle-sized platform is going to grow is phenomenal news for us. The most important news for us is, how great is our next title."

Zelnick(T2 CEO) on gamasutra;Digital Growth Won't Cannibalize Packaged Biz
http://www.gamasutra...t=Google Reader

Oh I didn't read this. Okay, now everything is fine. PHYSICAL DISK'S FTW!

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:24 PM Edited by Gregers08, 14 August 2012 - 01:27 PM.

Won't happen, Some people don't have connection speeds for that to work out well, imagine you're excited that your finally going to be playing GTA only to realise you have to wait hours for the game to download, not to mention some people also have download caps so no GTA for them either.

Another bad thing about it is it gives digital distributors more power to manipulate prices, Look at the difference between day 1 prices of a game on PSN compared to certain retailers, the PSN prices would probably be even higher is there wasn't some sort of competition so you can bet that's exactly what would happen if games went strictly digital.

noid449
  • noid449

Englishman in The United States

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:03 PM Edited by noid449, 16 August 2012 - 04:07 PM.

Electronic Arts Labels boss Frank Gibeau was interviewed over at Gamesindustry International yesterday about the future of games distribution. In a candid interview Mr Gibeau repeatedly stressed that digital distribution is the future and EA “will be 100 percent digital in the near future”.

EA going 100% digital

maybe it is the future ?

and now sony own a large cloud gaming group called gaikai. just a insight to the future but i dont think it will be this way for a while.

gabypoux
  • gabypoux

Surfin' bird

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

No. The physical map is just too awesome! inlove.gif

Bantri
  • Bantri

I'll kill as many animals in GTA as I damn well please

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Tuesday, Aug 14 2012, 02:58)
The industry is moving toward digital delivery: EA expects its digital sales to overtake boxed games

I don't have a big problem with the idea of GTA being only a download someday, but I think it will mean the loss of classic GTA box art.

A downloadable game's "cover" is more like an app icon. A simple image that's recognizable at a tiny size. The classic GTA multi-panel comic strip/collage won't survive because it has too much detail for something that's not going to be printed.

The simpler, more ordinary style of Rockstar's art for TBOGT DLC may be the future. cryani.gif

No no no no! Any game that becomes digital download only, I will not buy. I like having what I purchased, on a disc, and on my shelf. I don't have to rely on my home internet, the internet company, the Playstation Network, or the game's servers to be active to play MY game that I bought.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:24 PM Edited by wwinterj, 16 August 2012 - 05:30 PM.

All I can say is the day games become digital only is the day I stop been a gamer. I won't pay money for something I'll never physically own.

In my opinion there will always be a market for retail games and the reasons I hate download only games and refuse to buy them are simple:

1. The internet is crap in the UK at least and downloading games is a pain.
2. No box - I like box art and manuals.
3. Can't lend to a friend, take to there house to play and so on. You would have to download them again if you was going to play a game on a friends system
4. They are never your own game, you can't sell them, swap them or anything like that.
5. Most the time retail games cost less.
6. If your internet is out or you don't have access to it you can't buy a game.
7. If your console brakes you would have to download everything again and that would take ages.
8 A lot of folk who work in retail will loose there jobs and there simply won't be any need for them.
9. Can't get a refund if a game sucks.
10. Second hand games will be a thing of the past.

These are just a few of the reasons and I doubt very much GTA will ever go digital only. EA will because they are greedy bastards. It's also worth noting I don't buy DLC much and only bought the DLC for GTA V when it was on disk.

chuckberry04
  • chuckberry04

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Not in our lifetime. For real.

twinkiller
  • twinkiller

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

NO NO NO NO. I really hope that this never happens to the rest of the industry because I have dial up internet connection. (Go ahead and laugh). suicidal.gif This would be terrible for me considering i cant play online on my ps3 and wouldnt be able to play all of the games that i want to. It is much more satisfying to go to the store and purchase a physical object. They smell nice to. If all companies follow EA's lead I will stop playing their products and so will alot of other people and the gaming industry will tank. And it would cost too much money and competiton lowers prices and with only one option prices would soar.

f*ck EA i only buy 2 of their games anyway. That being medal of honor and The Sims.

Buffaloro
  • Buffaloro

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Tuesday, Aug 14 2012, 02:58)
The industry is moving toward digital delivery: EA expects its digital sales to overtake boxed games

I don't have a big problem with the idea of GTA being only a download someday, but I think it will mean the loss of classic GTA box art.

A downloadable game's "cover" is more like an app icon. A simple image that's recognizable at a tiny size. The classic GTA multi-panel comic strip/collage won't survive because it has too much detail for something that's not going to be printed.

The simpler, more ordinary style of Rockstar's art for TBOGT DLC may be the future. cryani.gif

You know what's worse? The maps are in the box. D: No more physical maps with a poster on the back. D:

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

I HATE THIS IDEA!!!!! I LOVE GAME'S BOXES!!! IF THEY ABANDON THE BOXES, I'LL NEVER BUY A GAME!!! angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users