Photo

speed of planes

52 replies to this topic
Markhayzy
  • Markhayzy

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

In the short clip in the trailer the fighter jet APPEARS to be moving at an awesome speed. Given the speed these planes are capable of in reality the map would have to be absoloutely massive otherwise it would be covered in a matter of seconds. In san andreas the planes moved very slow to compensate for this, however I would love to fly around at MACH 3 or whatever they fly at!
Will rockstar just make the screen blurry and make it look and sound like the planes moving faster than it actually is (like games do for nitrous in cars)?. Or will they have areas you can fly over but not land in? Or is there any chance that the map really is that big!!!??
What are your thoughts?

WizzleKidd
  • WizzleKidd

Lock AND ban

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

dude in SA the army jet plane moved EXTREMELY fast once you pushed R3.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (WizzleKidd @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 18:57)

If I remember right then the planes in SA were 150km/h fast which is EXTREMELY slow because that's just a little bit faster than the cars on the freeway's in GTA SA.

WizzleKidd
  • WizzleKidd

Lock AND ban

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 19:00)

If I remember right then the planes in SA were 150km/h fast which is EXTREMELY slow because that's just a little bit faster than the cars on the freeway's in GTA SA.

i only recently (SOO LATEE) when i played SA a few months ago figured out that if you pushed the right stick foward the army plane flies much faster than usual. that is what im talking about. like the nitrous moves in a foward position for it to fly much faster

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

This is one aspect where realism would ruin the experience. There just isn't any way to have the planes fly at a realistic speed without making the map seem small. I think it's far more important to have the map feel huge, than flying super fast.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (WizzleKidd @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 19:02)

i only recently (SOO LATEE) when i played SA a few months ago figured out that if you pushed the right stick foward the army plane flies much faster than usual. that is what im talking about. like the nitrous moves in a foward position for it to fly much faster

You mean going from hover to fly mode? That's how it's supposed to be. When the thrusters are in the vertical position (which is what they are in by default) you are in hover mode and will only (you guessed it) hover. When you switch them to the horizontal position, the Hydra goes into fly mode.

OT: Hopefully Rockstar will (or has) found a balance that makes it so that the planes aren't too slow (don't see that happening) but at the same time, you won't be able to go across the map in 15 seconds.

OSullivan
  • OSullivan

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

They actually went 178mph as far as i can remember smile.gif

Dr Pepper 94
  • Dr Pepper 94

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Planes in reality usally fly around 700 - 900 kmph i think! not 150 lol..

tjerome
  • tjerome

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

The map is going to be bigger than SA because Rockstar said it would be the biggest map they have ever created.

There should be multiple airports even if it's just Los Santos as a major city.

ShotGunRain
  • ShotGunRain

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

They need to balance the speed so random building doesn't spawn in front of you, because Consoles need time to render or whatever it is.

ryan_J
  • ryan_J

GTA FOR LIFE !

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (ShotGunRain @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 19:17)
They need to balance the speed so random building doesn't spawn in front of you, because Consoles need time to render or whatever it is.

"Consoles need time to render or whatever it is"! Classy real classy!

Starz
  • Starz

Niko

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

I imagine they'll add some motion blur to make it seem as if it's going a lot faster than it is. I think they'll make it 200mph or so, which can still cover the map in a short period of time.

AlfredNTheFettuc
  • AlfredNTheFettuc

Hellbanned but not

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Of course the speed will be scaled down. Depends on how big the map is.

ShotGunRain
  • ShotGunRain

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (ryan_J @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 19:19)

Have you tried to fly a Helicopter in GTA IV on PS3 version? Look at the buildings textures on the buildings they don't even have windows they look ugly, because consoles can't render as fast a 1300 dollar gaming PC. I only have PS3 and i could tell you this if planes in GTA V fly faster than helicopters in IV then we are going to hit a building that spawned out of nowhere.

pilsvern
  • pilsvern

Supra Lover

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:35 PM Edited by pilsvern, 06 August 2012 - 07:48 PM.

According to the trailer fighter scene, the plane speed will be very realistic.
It would be cool if someone could calculat the fighter speed (with time and distance), however it look like his speed is something like 400-500 mph. I dont think we should worry about the map size, R* know what they do, if the plane can handle those kind of speed, the map will be extremly big cool.gif

poppins
  • poppins

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Just cause 2 did it so why not?

Jayster94
  • Jayster94

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

The particular plane the hydra was based off in sa cant even fly at mach 1 in real life its max is around 600mph. Anyway my guess for v is 400-500mph which should feel plenty fast.

PhilGTA1
  • PhilGTA1

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Let me say add this: The Hydra in the trailer was very fast, so the map must be HUGE.

Starz
  • Starz

Niko

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (ShotGunRain @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 19:26)

Have you tried to fly a Helicopter in GTA IV on PS3 version? Look at the buildings textures on the buildings they don't even have windows they look ugly, because consoles can't render as fast a 1300 dollar gaming PC. I only have PS3 and i could tell you this if planes in GTA V fly faster than helicopters in IV then we are going to hit a building that spawned out of nowhere.

I think you might be right. Technical problems may cause trouble for the creative side.

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, in GTA SA Rockstar put a limit on aircrafts. If you took the limit off, the planes would naturally fly much faster because of their power.

I really hope R* allows the planes to go faster in GTA V. Maybe the jets could have an afterburner button to go faster.

Ryanbashaw
  • Ryanbashaw

Seattle, Washington

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Can't wait to dodge missiles in my sultan rs from above hydras. I want to see some blue angels stunts and tricks in the sky too!

ShotGunRain
  • ShotGunRain

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (Starz @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 19:44)

I think you might be right. Technical problems may cause trouble for the creative side.

If they made something like this that would be cool. When you go higher up you gain speed, but when you are flying near building level your aircraft loses speed so the buildings have proper textures and have the time to spawn.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

I don't have that problem on Xbox. The only things that spawns in front of you are fire escapes and little towers on top of the buildings, nothing that should make you crash or hurt you in any way. I don't know about PS3.

allhailkingryan
  • allhailkingryan

Bellic Enterprises

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (poppins @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 20:41)

http://4.bp.blogspot...00/facedesk.jpg

SkylineGTRFreak
  • SkylineGTRFreak

Blackhawk lover

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (allhailkingryan @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 21:12)
QUOTE (poppins @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 20:41)

http://4.bp.blogspot...00/facedesk.jpg

Now what's so wrong about that?

And even if they don't render properly and the buildings still have LOD textures... If you go that fast, you won't notice anyway... Just saying.

allhailkingryan
  • allhailkingryan

Bellic Enterprises

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

People always compare GTA with just Cause, and on a technical level they are totally different.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Planes are too slow in San Andreas. Just type in cars fly and you go faster than a plane. They need to make planes faster.

ryan_J
  • ryan_J

GTA FOR LIFE !

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

This has only ever happened to me online in a full game of free mode, the worst that has happened in single player is small masts etc on top of buildings do not render, your also forgetting that GTA V will perform better than GTA IV did after all GTA IV is 5 years old, Oh and we don't even know if GTA V will be on this generation of console, It most likely will be but lets not jump to conclusions!

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (allhailkingryan @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 20:25)
People always compare GTA with just Cause, and on a technical level they are totally different.

I'm going to laugh hard @ ur sig if that isn't the MC, JS.

OT: I think they SHOULD be faster than SA, I believe the Hydra demostrated that in the trailer. However, I wonder how big the map will be, I know it will be big, but how big..?

- I hope the map will be maybe 2x - 4x Bigger than SA.

Above
  • Above

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (73duster @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 19:08)
This is one aspect where realism would ruin the experience. There just isn't any way to have the planes fly at a realistic speed without making the map seem small. I think it's far more important to have the map feel huge, than flying super fast.

I agree.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users