Photo

[WIP] IV: Our Ugly World

867 replies to this topic
Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

Wow, you're planning far ahead with Our Ugly War, but it maybe a bit too much? Finish this one first, please.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (Triple Penetration @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 14:31)
Wow, you're planning far ahead with Our Ugly War, but it maybe a bit too much? Finish this one first, please.

True, but it's always nice to have an idea for what to do next. Plus, I thought it would be cool for all the pro-Chicago guys to know that most of the buildings on Carcer Island are based on some iconic members of the Chicago skyline smile.gif

EDIT: Ah, stupid me, thought you meant I was going too far with "Our ugly world" blush.gif . "Our Ugly War" was something I thought of a while ago. I'd get rid of it, but you never know!

Zom-B
  • Zom-B

Thug

• Members

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

This is a quality idea.

Would you include locations from Manhunt or do you consider that part of III's canon and this is a new Carcer?

Either way, I'd love to see a city even more run down than Liberty. Properly run down with entire abandoned neighbourhoods for shady deals.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

The map's terrain, coastline, buildings and roads are being made from scratch while also using buildings from IV and other GTA's to speed up the work. Afaik as many Manhunt Carcer shops/names/brands will be included in OUW but so far we haven't used any actual locations from Manhunt.
Thanks for the idea: there is an importer for Manhunts maps so we can use some of the actual locations from manhunt too. icon14.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Zom-B @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 18:33)
This is a quality idea.

Would you include locations from Manhunt or do you consider that part of III's canon and this is a new Carcer?

Either way, I'd love to see a city even more run down than Liberty. Properly run down with entire abandoned neighbourhoods for shady deals.

Thank you smile.gif And to answer your questions:

1. I'll probably put in the prison and the mall. Maybe not the same layout, but still, they'll be there.
2. This Carcer takes place in the IV era, but it'll feature locations from the original (presumably III-era) manhunt

Hope these helped colgate.gif

Bondergomme
  • Bondergomme

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 12:49)
Alright amigos, I made a possible map for Carcer Island. I took Staunton Island from III, put some Chicago landmarks, and Pittsburgh bridges. Sorry for any potential page stretches! blush.gif

user posted image

Chicago? more like Central Island from Mafia 1

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (Bondergomme @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 18:51)
Alright amigos, I made a possible map for Carcer Island. I took Staunton Island from III, put some Chicago landmarks, and Pittsburgh bridges. Sorry for any potential page stretches!  blush.gif

user posted image

Right, we were just using those maps as placeholders until we can put together an actual map. Other than that, the locations are pretty much spot on, gentrified industrial bit in the south, yuppie offices to the north, etc.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 23:53)
QUOTE (Bondergomme @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 18:51)
Alright amigos, I made a possible map for Carcer Island. I took Staunton Island from III, put some Chicago landmarks, and Pittsburgh bridges. Sorry for any potential page stretches!  blush.gif

user posted image

Right, we were just using those maps as placeholders until we can put together an actual map. Other than that, the locations are pretty much spot on, gentrified industrial bit in the south, yuppie offices to the north, etc.

Well, hope for the best. I just noticed that was a mix of Central Island from Mafia 1, and Portland from GTA III/LCS.

user posted image
Here is a map of Chicago, encase that helps.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (nkjellman)
I just noticed that was a mix of Central Island from Mafia 1, and Portland from GTA III.
QUOTE (Bondergomme @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 23:51)
Glad someone figured it out. wink.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 19:00)
[QUOTE=universetwisters,Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 23:53] [QUOTE=Bondergomme,Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 18:51] [QUOTE=universetwisters,Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 12:49] Alright amigos, I made a possible map for Carcer Island. I took Staunton Island from III, put some Chicago landmarks, and Pittsburgh bridges. Sorry for any potential page stretches!  blush.gif

Chicago? more like Central Island from Mafia 1 [/QUOTE]
Right, we were just using those maps as placeholders until we can put together an actual map. Other than that, the locations are pretty much spot on, gentrified industrial bit in the south, yuppie offices to the north, etc. [/QUOTE]
Well, hope for the best. I just noticed that was a mix of Central Island from Mafia 1, and Portland from GTA III/LCS.

user posted image
Here is a map of Chicago, encase that helps.

Yea, I changed the map but didn't get around to changing the text. It would be hard to accurately remake Chicago, given that Chicago is part of a wide piece of land, and the area I'm using for Chicago is an Island. Still, with the skyline and everything, hopefully it'll feel like Chicago colgate.gif

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:19 AM Edited by nkjellman, 10 August 2012 - 12:22 AM.

You can do three islands that are next to each other and make the Chicago River.

So from the map you can see the river divides 3 pieces of land. What you should do is turn the pieces into island.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 19:19)
You can do three islands that are next to each other and make the Chicago River.

So from the map you can see the river divides 3 pieces of land. What you should do is turn the pieces into island.

Sounds like a good idea, but this is what's on the table so far, as far as the geography goes:

user posted image

The Commercial Island I just posted is on the left, the sh*tty, run-down area is to the northeast, and the suburbs full of split level traps and station wagons are to the southeast.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Looks good. However a mirror image of that map would be closer to Chicago. Also if you want to make a good recreation of the Chicago river, the islands should be closer together. Other than that looks good.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 20:34)
Looks good. However a mirror image of that map would be closer to Chicago. Also if you want to make a good recreation of the Chicago river, the islands should be closer together. Other than that looks good.

True, I'll consider it. Thanks for the tips! smile.gif

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

Interesting and unique TC. Me like! Gonna follow this closely, and I can't wait for the first in-game screenshots! Best of luck to you.

Mega.
  • Mega.

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

To avoid having problems of cutoff, put barriers blocking the road to the areas on the extreme right, and if the player manages to pass, it's just a LOD, like in GTA III RC Demo. I like those concepts, i always liked them smile.gif Good luck with this, i'll be watching the progress smile.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (cornflakes4u @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 20:47)
Interesting and unique TC. Me like! Gonna follow this closely, and I can't wait for the first in-game screenshots! Best of luck to you.

Thanks, amigo! I'll try to have some screenshots ready by Sunday!

@MegaMario1500 - Like an invisible wall of sorts? I'll look into that, man, thanks! smile.gif

Garju67
  • Garju67

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Friday, Aug 10 2012, 04:00)

@MegaMario1500 - Like an invisible wall of sorts? I'll look into that, man, thanks! smile.gif

Since this project has been announced, i was waiting for the 1st ingame pic. Glad it will be sunday. smile.gif
Good luck on this mod, if you developing it well, then it will a awesome mod ! icon14.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (Garju67 @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 21:07)
QUOTE (universetwisters @ Friday, Aug 10 2012, 04:00)

Since this project has been announced, i was waiting for the 1st ingame pic. Glad it will be sunday. smile.gif
Good luck on this mod, if you developing it well, then it will a awesome mod ! icon14.gif

Thanks man! Hopefully, it'll be worth the wait, because there's still a lot of "polishing up" to do, and I don't want to give you guys an uncomplete-looking picture, so Sunday is just a window to try and meet. Hey, at least we're giving a date unlike some other games-*cough* GTA V *cough*

And I hope it'll be an awesome mod, given the fact that there's a whole new city to tear up, whole new soundtrack, and even a whole new story, something that a lot of modders seem to overlook smile.gif

gtafan187
  • gtafan187

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:20 AM

Nice idea, but I agree and think the map should be closer to the real life Chicago, not a replica, just take some of the characteristics of it.

I don't have Skype or anything but I've been modelling/texturing with Maya for about 8 years now. I'd love to give a hand with the buildings/vehicles. Let me know if I can help you out.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (gtafan187 @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 22:20)
Nice idea, but I agree and think the map should be closer to the real life Chicago, not a replica, just take some of the characteristics of it.

I don't have Skype or anything but I've been modelling/texturing with Maya for about 8 years now. I'd love to give a hand with the buildings/vehicles. Let me know if I can help you out.

Regarding the Chicago issue, I want the city to feel like a whole bunch of different cities in the Rust Belt, like Detroit, Baltimore, etc. Chicago being one of them, and the one Carcer Island takes most of it's influence on. And I sent you a message about modelling wink.gif

SkylineGTRFreak
  • SkylineGTRFreak

Blackhawk lover

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

I have some chicago buildings of another game, including the Sears tower or O'Hara Intl. for example. However, most of the textures are pretty low res confused.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (SkylineGTRFreak @ Friday, Aug 10 2012, 14:33)
I have some chicago buildings of another game, including the Sears tower or O'Hara Intl. for example. However, most of the textures are pretty low res confused.gif

Bummer amigo. Plus, can't you only include stuff from Rockstar games? I remember that used to be a concern with the Lost Heaven rage project, key word being "used to " wink.gif

Hallgarth
  • Hallgarth

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

As I recall there was a commercial for visiting Carcer City in San Andreas on the radio. I think it mentioned the Flaming River amongst other things. it's probably on youtube, could give you some greater insight into what R* intend carcer to be like.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Hallgarth @ Friday, Aug 10 2012, 16:58)
As I recall there was a commercial for visiting Carcer City in San Andreas on the radio. I think it mentioned the Flaming River amongst other things. it's probably on youtube, could give you some greater insight into what R* intend carcer to be like.

Yeah, dude, I remember that! The "real America" ! tounge.gif I think the commercial was poking fun more at generic rust belt cities at the time the game was set, when the economy over there was really bad, such as "Steel, Ice, Poverty, etc." Still, thanks for the heads up, amigo!

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:51 AM Edited by Frank.s, 11 August 2012 - 10:53 AM.

Update: Carcer Sewage system
More pictures soon. smile.gif
Comments/opinions/constructive crits appreciated.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Mega props to Frank for the sewer pics! icon14.gif

I put together a little "teaser" for a possible loading screen, right here:

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

Nice sewers, reminds me of Resident Evil 4 with all the gloomy (and realistic) atmosphere.

Did you have any reference pictures?

I can't really criticise anything, as the screens are far too dark for that, but I like how everything is so round and smooth, even those broken bars.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:53 PM Edited by Frank.s, 11 August 2012 - 12:55 PM.

Thank you, the reference pics i used were from google image searching "sewer" and that was all. I just collected a bunch of GTAIV+CGTextures, G.i.m.p'd them to make any needed changes like seamless+different colors then had a look at a few sewers on google and then made it up as i went along in 3dsmax.

Will post some more pics when the next page is reached. icon14.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Saturday, Aug 11 2012, 07:53)
Will post some more pics when the next page is reached. icon14.gif

True that amigo, let's get closer to that page so the people'll be happy! smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users