[WIP] IV: Our Ugly World

867 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Gst0395 @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 07:02)
QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Friday, Aug 3 2012, 05:17)
I'd say Carcer City is more or less based on Camden, New Jersey.

If it is, that would technically put Carcer City in Alderney.

Here are some photos of Camden for anyone curious. Man, there is no hope for places like this at all. Rust-belt, unemployment, white flight, urban decay and street gangs.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

I can post more images of cities like this for anyone curious. Here's East St. Louis, Illinois.

user posted image

If you visit the website of this sh*thole, you'll see they're actually trying to make it seem like a great place to live, raise a family and get a job. In reality however, it's the complete opposite, and of course one of if not the most crime-infested city in the US.

Thanks for the references dude, they'll go great in the dilapidated district (Oh god, I can imagine what fun I'll have with the graffiti! sly.gif )

And as far as updates go, I'm planning the commercial/middle Island, and so far, it's beginning to look a lot like Chicago/Pittsburgh mixed with Staunton Island's layout...

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

What kind of gangs will you have in these areas? Manhunt was kind of unrealistic in the sense that the gangs were primary Caucasian. In real-life, most gangs that overrun these dilapidated areas tend to be minorities.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Gst0395 @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 08:47)
What kind of gangs will you have in these areas? Manhunt was kind of unrealistic in the sense that the gangs were primary Caucasian. In real-life, most gangs that overrun these dilapidated areas tend to be minorities.

Pretty much what I've got on the wiki is what I've got planned so far: A Mexican cartel, a band of suburban hoods, a mafia family, skinheads, etc. I plan on adding more minority gangs, though, like maybe some hoods in the ghetto or something of the like.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Since Carcer City was based also in Detroit, ghetto areas would be awesome as Gst0395 has suggested, if you look at Detroit pictures, you can get also some inspiration they even had abandoned skyscrapers

How about adding also a abandoned industrial site? Great for chases, for contraband, shotouts or even easter eggs:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

And a dark skyline:

user posted image

I think it could symbolize the injustices of the society, a side of the city rich, while other is a ghetto where nobody wants to look at.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 09:21)
Since Carcer City was based also in Detroit, ghetto areas would be awesome as Gst0395 has suggested, if you look at Detroit pictures, you can get also some inspiration they even had abandoned skyscrapers

How about adding also a abandoned industrial site? Great for chases, for contraband, shotouts or even easter eggs:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

And a dark skyline:

user posted image

I think it could symbolize the injustices of the society, a side of the city rich, while other is a ghetto where nobody wants to look at.

Abandoned skyscrapers? Woah. I've been taking your idea into consideration, planning a good part of the city that everybody likes, and a slum part of the city across the river (Carcer Island & Gatwick, respectively)

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Also, would be nice to see difference between the cars spawned in each zone; while in the whealthier areas you will find in the traffic newer, or with more luxury and status cars, in poorer areas you will find old pickups, old cars, rusty cars...

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 10:05)
Also, would be nice to see difference between the cars spawned in each zone; while in the whealthier areas you will find in the traffic newer, or with more luxury and status cars, in poorer areas you will find old pickups, old cars, rusty cars...

True that, amigo. I'm also debating as to whether or not gangs should have individual vehicles, like how they did in GTA 3. It sure gave them an identity, though!

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 14:04)
QUOTE (Gst0395 @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 08:47)

Pretty much what I've got on the wiki is what I've got planned so far: A Mexican cartel, a band of suburban hoods, a mafia family, skinheads, etc. I plan on adding more minority gangs, though, like maybe some hoods in the ghetto or something of the like.

That sounds good enough. Even if the gangs aren't all minorities, it still adds a good variety having Skinheads and such.

These places are bad. They almost look like Fallout games.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Gst0395 @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 11:12)

These places are bad. They almost look like Fallout games.

Sans the mutants and rubble, I hope XD

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 12:16)

Here are some photos of Camden for anyone curious. Man, there is no hope for places like this at all. Rust-belt, unemployment, white flight, urban decay and street gangs.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

I can post more images of cities like this for anyone curious. Here's East St. Louis, Illinois.

user posted image

If you visit the website of this sh*thole, you'll see they're actually trying to make it seem like a great place to live, raise a family and get a job. In reality however, it's the complete opposite, and of course one of if not the most crime-infested city in the US.

Thanks for the references dude, they'll go great in the dilapidated district (Oh god, I can imagine what fun I'll have with the graffiti! sly.gif )

And as far as updates go, I'm planning the commercial/middle Island, and so far, it's beginning to look a lot like Chicago/Pittsburgh mixed with Staunton Island's layout...

That looks like the south side of Chicago.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 12:16)
QUOTE (universetwisters @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 12:16)

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image

That looks like the south side of Chicago.

True. Come think of it, all the dilapidated parts of rust belt cities kinda "run together", if you know what I mean.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Update: On the Wiki, I added some new clothing, which can hopefully replace the clothing at the Russian Shop! smile.gif

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:27 PM Edited by nkjellman, 08 August 2012 - 08:29 PM.

Well, because their identical, are you going to focus on recreating one city, or multiple?

If you are, Google Earth can help you recreate the city so its accurate to the real city, like Liberty City is to New York. If you focus on one, I still recommend doing Chicago. Usually the bigger cities are what Rockstar bases their game off of. It would be the best city to do in my opinion.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 15:27)
Well, because their identical, are you going to focus on recreating one city, or multiple?

So far, it's just a generic rust belt city, but some landmarks could be from different cities, like the ariport could look like chicago o'hare airport, the Carcer Island skyline could look like the Detroit skyline, some public buildings could resemble ones from Baltimore, etc.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 20:31)

So far, it's just a generic rust belt city, but some landmarks could be from different cities, like the ariport could look like chicago o'hare airport, the Carcer Island skyline could look like the Detroit skyline, some public buildings could resemble ones from Baltimore, etc.

Damn I wish this board would remove the damn flood control thing. Its annoying.

Anyways, I'd recommend using some land marks from Downtown Chicago. They say it has one of the best looking skylines.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 15:34)

Anyways, I'd recommend using some land marks from Downtown Chicago. They say it has one of the best looking skylines.

Or maybe the Detroit airport and the chicago skyline? XD

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 20:48)

You could try two islands. One that looks like Chicago and one that looks like Detroit.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 15:53)
QUOTE (universetwisters @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 20:48)

You could try two islands. One that looks like Chicago and one that looks like Detroit.

True, I could do it. I still want to give it the feel of an anonymous rust belt city, though, but if the fans want it, why not?

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

How about making the Detroit/Camden style area in the west side of the Herxheimer river? From above the airport to the south.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 16:40)
How about making the Detroit/Camden style area in the west side of the Herxheimer river? From above the airport to the south.

So far, the Poor slum part is in the northeast, with the suburban part to the southeast. The Chicago/commercial district is on an Island to the west of those districts. And further to the west, is Canada.

Steff R
  • Steff R

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

This looks properly good guys. One thing, can you all stop quoting the pictures it's killing my iPod's browser big time lol.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (Steff R @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 19:55)
This looks properly good guys. One thing, can you all stop quoting the pictures it's killing my iPod's browser big time lol.

Don't worry amigo, I'll keep that in mind tounge.gif

Steff R
  • Steff R

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 00:58)
This looks properly good guys.  One thing, can you all stop quoting the pictures it's killing my iPod's browser big time lol.

Thanks! I don't get much spare time these days but I can model and map so if you're needing anything random and unimportant I would be happy to help out.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE (Steff R @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 20:24)
This looks properly good guys.  One thing, can you all stop quoting the pictures it's killing my iPod's browser big time lol.

Thanks! I don't get much spare time these days but I can model and map so if you're needing anything random and unimportant I would be happy to help out.

Thanks man! Think you're up for doing a subway car?

Steff R
  • Steff R

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 03:03)

Yeah if you gimme idea's and the scale I can mock something up when I get some time smile.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (Steff R @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 22:04)
QUOTE (universetwisters @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 03:03)

Yeah if you gimme idea's and the scale I can mock something up when I get some time smile.gif

sure dude, just add me on skype (my skype name is the same as my username on the forums) and we can talk about it further

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Alright amigos, I made a possible map for Carcer Island. I took Staunton Island from III, put some Chicago landmarks, and Pittsburgh bridges. Sorry for any potential page stretches! blush.gif

user posted image

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Looks like a good general plan, and while i see that using staunton as a base would speed up work, i'm not too keen on doing that because it would blatantly look copied which might come across as lazy. What do you think about drawing a different island but using the same new OUW buildings and using the same amount of roads so that it doesn't get too complex to model, then i'll make that new road layout and the new coastline in 3dsmax?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 11:57)
Looks like a good general plan, and while i see that using staunton as a base would speed up work, i'm not too keen on doing that because it would blatantly look copied which might come across as lazy. What do you think about drawing different island but using the same newe OUW buildings and using the same amount of roads so that it doesn't get too complex to model, then i'll make that new road layout and the new coastline in 3dsmax?

So, I should draw up a new Island? I'll give it a run smile.gif

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yep. icon14.gif

Also, re-posting the wiki link because advertising. lol.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users