Can't remove Avira at all!

13 replies to this topic
Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:45 AM

I have met a new problem, but this time its a software issue. I can now install updates after upgrading to SP3, but still there is a problem... On my WinXP.

I can't remove the damn Avira folder. I want to remove it to install the latest version of Avira, since the version I want to remove is an old one. When uninstalling from the control panel, it told me the program is invalid or doesn't exist, something like that. I brought Revo Uninstaller to work, but says it will delete the rest of the fails on restart, but nothing happens when I do so.

Avira's website tells me to go to Win XP's safe mode. But when I try, I get sent to the BIOS screen and pick between my two systems again (in the sig, yes, once again its dual-boot), and when I pick up XP, it acts like it just crashed.

Any recommended solution to take it out now? I just want to update it to the latest!

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

To fully uninstall within revo, you must select option 4 where it will do a deep scan of all left over entries on the program you don't want.
Try the software unlocker, and right click on the folder you want to delete and select unlocker to do it for you.

http://www.filehippo...nload_unlocker/

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

When you get download the latest version of Avira and run the installer it should take care of uninstalling the old version for you.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:37 PM Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez, 27 July 2012 - 03:38 PM.

Well when I was sleeping, I just found a magical idea. Deleting Avira from XP will never do something, but doing so from 7 will get rid of it once and for all. And I finally deleted it. I'll see later if I can install the new one on XP and edit my post to list the results.

Despite that, thanks for your help guys.

@Wolf, when I tried to do that before, it said I have to manually uninstall Avira cause it had a problem with it. That's why I made this thread smile.gif

ZoomZoom
  • ZoomZoom

Banned on request

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

I too couldn't uninstall it. But try this way it's easy-worked for me.. smile.gif

Go to your Control Panel
Select Add/Remove Programs
Select Avira Antivirus
Click Add/Remove

It will uninstall in about 2 minutes. icon14.gif

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:07 PM Edited by Stinky12, 27 July 2012 - 05:13 PM.

See if there is a Avira uninstall tool that will help you clean it out.

ZoomZoom
  • ZoomZoom

Banned on request

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE (Stinky12 @ Friday, Jul 27 2012, 17:07)
See if there is a Avira uninstall tool that will help you clean it out.

I searched for it when I was removing mine. But there wasn't one. confused.gif

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE (Diego "DM" Mendez @ Jul 27 2012, 02:45)
When uninstalling from the control panel, it told me the program is invalid or doesn't exist,

QUOTE (ZoomZoom @ Jul 27 2012, 16:02)
I too couldn't uninstall it. But try this way it's easy-worked for me.. smile.gif

Go to your Control Panel
Select Add/Remove Programs
Select Avira Antivirus
Click Add/Remove

It will uninstall in about 2 minutes. icon14.gif

If you're gonna keep posting sh*t in every thread just to increase your post count, at least read the post properly.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:08 PM Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez, 28 July 2012 - 04:13 PM.

Oh behold! Even with the Avira folder deleted, it insists this:

"Your existing Avira version could not be removed automatically. Please execute a manual uninstallation!"

Drrr... drrr.... don't tell me I have to put a new Windows, I don't want to hear that... Gonna try CCleaner and find if there are missing registry entries for Avira.

EDIT: Tried CCleaner and it found an Avira registry. Despite that, the same message mentioned above pops up. Game over. What do I have to do now?

Also a bit irrelevant question, but I tried running WMP 12 from my 7 partition using Win XP and it told me its not a valid Win32 app... how the heck is that possible when my 7 is 32-bit?

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Looks like a bunch of registry setting are still left behind and not cleaned out.
Check if Avira is still running in the process list. If so end them or head over to msconfig>startup and disable anything entries associated with the program.
Also check on services tab and see anything to do with the Avira is running as well. If so, disable those too.
Restart and try reinstalling the program.
2 other options you can try are

Option 1: Do a system restore and go back to the point before you remove the antivirus.
Then use Revo, select option #4 and let it do the removal for you.

Option 2: Install another product of Avira (download a trial verson) and hope it will create another entry within the same folder.
Again use Revo and see if it will remove everything along with it.

WMP 12 is not supported for XP even if it's 32bit, that's normal. Just like IE9 isn't supported with XP as the highest IE for XP is IE8.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:37 PM Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez, 28 July 2012 - 06:18 PM.

No processes for Avira found. I'm afraid I don't have a restore point for WinXP either, lemme see if there are any though later. I'll come back and post.

I have many restore points lol... Gonna revert back to July 23 and get back the Apple Application Support app I removed with knowledge it makes my Apple apps (QuickTime.) I however gonna send WMP11 from my phone so I don't download it again.

By the way, how do I access option #4 in Revo Uninstaller? Mine is unregistered version Pro 2.5.8, and don't wanna buy an uninstaller anyways confused.gif

EDIT: Rolled back to July 23... my Avira folder is lost forever! And I got my Apple Application Support back... Installation still insists to remove the old folder, and wait a second, my version is a free one. What do you mean with "free trial?".. I guess I'm over and have to go to a new anti-virus! But first, lets re-WMP 11!

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

There is a free version of Revo, pro has additional features. When you remove a program with Revo, before the uninstaller starts, it will give you 4 options, select option 4.
The AV software you have is free, what I mean by free trial is for you to download and install another Avira product and hope that will overwrite your existing installation. Then use Revo, use option 4 and hope it will take everything alone with it. If that works, then you can go back to your free Avira AV.

You can try Avira Antivirus Premium 2012 as it's close to the free one
http://www.avira.com/en/downloads

Going with a alternative AV program is another method, but most will still look for existing AV products, and may not let you
install.

San Fierro City
  • San Fierro City

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Going with Alternative AV program is not really a sound method. Running two AV's at the same time will cause minor to major problems on your computer. You need asses what security applications are on your computer and then remove them one by one and start fresh. AV's often leave behind legacy files that will disrupt another AV from running properly. Check out AppRemover (www.appremover.com) should do the trick biggrin.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (San Fierro City @ Saturday, Sep 29 2012, 07:34)
Going with Alternative AV program is not really a sound method. Running two AV's at the same time will cause minor to major problems on your computer. You need asses what security applications are on your computer and then remove them one by one and start fresh. AV's often leave behind legacy files that will disrupt another AV from running properly. Check out AppRemover (www.appremover.com) should do the trick biggrin.gif

Not only is this topic very old, but you didn't read it properly.
The alternative Avira product is not for antivirus purposes, it is only downloaded to rewrite over the old UN removable Avira AV then it's deleted again, thus is so a new AV can be installed without issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users