Led Zeppelin

23 replies to this topic
TSM_Cobra
  • TSM_Cobra

General of The Silent Mercenaries

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

user posted image

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

INFORMATION
user posted image

Led Zeppelin were an English rock band, active in the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s. Formed as the New Yardbirds in 1968, the band consisted of guitarist Jimmy Page, singer Robert Plant, bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones, and drummer John Bonham. They are widely considered to be one of the most successful, innovative and influential rock groups in history.

After changing their name, the band signed a favourable deal with Atlantic Records that allowed them considerable artistic freedom. Led Zeppelin disliked releasing their songs as singles; they viewed their albums as indivisible and complete listening experiences, thus promoting the concept of album-orientated rock. Due to the heavy, guitar-driven blues-rock sound of their first two albums, Led Zeppelin are frequently recognised as the progenitors of heavy metal and hard rock. However, the band's individualistic style drew from a wide variety of influences, including folk music, which they incorporated into their next two albums. Their untitled fourth album, which features the track "Stairway to Heaven", is among the most popular and influential works in rock music, and it cemented the status of the group as "superstars". Subsequent albums saw greater experimentation and were accompanied by record-breaking tours, which earned them a reputation for excess. Although they remained commercially and critically successful, in the later 1970s the band's output and touring schedule were limited by the personal difficulties and circumstances of the members. Led Zeppelin disbanded following Bonham's sudden death in 1980.

Since 1980, the surviving members have pursued solo careers and have also been involved in a series of collaborations and one-off reunions. In 2007, 27 years after the group disbanded, the surviving members of Led Zeppelin reunited (along with John Bonham's son, Jason) for the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert at The O2 Arena in London. The band were honoured with the "Best Live Act" prize for their one-off reunion at MOJO Awards 2008, where they were described as the "greatest rock and roll band of all time".

Led Zeppelin are one of the best-selling music artists in the history of audio recording—various sources estimate the group's sales at more than 200 or even 300 million albums worldwide. Their 111.5 million certified units in the United States rank them as the second-best-selling band in the US. Each of their nine studio albums reached the top 10 of the Billboard album chart in the US, with six reaching the number-one spot. Rolling Stone magazine described them as "the heaviest band of all time", "the biggest band of the '70s" and "unquestionably one of the most enduring bands in rock history". Similarly, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame stated that the band were "as influential in that decade [the 1970s] as The Beatles were in the prior one".

(http://en.wikipedia....ki/Led_Zeppelin)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PHOTOS user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Commander Rofl
  • Commander Rofl

"Per Ardua Ad Astra"

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

I reckon this is their best song.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:35 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 24 July 2012 - 07:40 AM.

yeah Def Leppard sucks.

I reckon this is a better song...

...and this one is even better still...

...and then there's this one...

...all of which are way better than that one about sugar or whatever it was.

Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

I couldn't possibly comment

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Who confuses Led Zeppelin with Def Leppard?

TSM_Cobra
  • TSM_Cobra

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

umm rofl50, that's Deff Leppard.

Commander Rofl
  • Commander Rofl

"Per Ardua Ad Astra"

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (TSM_Cobra @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 08:13)
umm rofl50, that's Deff Leppard.

..... I'm retarded

TSM_Cobra
  • TSM_Cobra

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Kashmir may be overrated, but I'd have to say that's the best song by far.

Luna Fortuna
  • Luna Fortuna

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

I like Led Zeppelin they are, by far my favourite cover band.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (Personguy @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 17:27)

is this like a bad joke or something?

Luna Fortuna
  • Luna Fortuna

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 00:55)
QUOTE (Personguy @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 17:27)

is this like a bad joke or something?

It was just a little joke about how they plagiarized a lot. It did sound better in my head but whatever.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (Personguy @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 18:04)
It was just a little joke about how they plagiarized a lot. It did sound better in my head but whatever.

oh please. don't even go there.
let's clear it up right now so we can get back to the music.

Zeppelin's first 2 albums included several covers of old blues and folk standards right alongside several entirely original tracks that were written by Page and Plant.
it's not plagiarism. that's how music (especially rock n' roll and blues) works. artists cover and sample other artists all the time by adding their own unique style and arrangement (and even lyrics) to the original. it doesn't mean they're stealing.

Zeppelin would cover a handful of other songs on their subsequent albums but much less than they did on the first 2.
and once again; it was never plagiarism. it's a very common practice. several of the songs that they covered were not even original to the group who did it before them.

for instance, Joan Baez version of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You was already a cover when she did it.
same story with the Zeppelin version of Howlin Wolf's and Muddy Waters' covers.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:44 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 25 July 2012 - 05:48 PM.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 03:19)
QUOTE (Personguy @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 18:04)

oh please. don't even go there.
let's clear it up right now so we can get back to the music.

Zeppelin's first 2 albums included several covers of old blues and folk standards right alongside several entirely original tracks that were written by Page and Plant.
it's not plagiarism. that's how music (especially rock n' roll and blues) works. artists cover and sample other artists all the time by adding their own unique style and arrangement (and even lyrics) to the original. it doesn't mean they're stealing.

Zeppelin would cover a handful of other songs on their subsequent albums but much less than they did on the first 2.
and once again; it was never plagiarism. it's a very common practice. several of the songs that they covered were not even original to the group who did it before them.

for instance, Joan Baez version of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You was already a cover when she did it.
same story with the Zeppelin version of Howlin Wolf's and Muddy Waters' covers.

This.

I've all Led Zeppelin's stuff. Was a little obsessed with them in my teens. My third album I ever bought was Physical Graffiti when I was about 12. I'm 27 now. Wowzers. nervous.gif

I love their version of Bert Jansch's Black Mountain Side

Luna Fortuna
  • Luna Fortuna

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

On some of their "covers" they did not even give the original artist songwriting credits they are often just attributed to the band. And the intro to stairway to heaven is a cover? If they were covers how come Zeppelin have been sued for copyright infringement?

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

you should do your research before opening your mouth.
the only time that Led Zeppelin has ever been formally sued was for the cover of Jake Holmes "Dazed and Confused."

and even then the lawsuit was considered frivolous.
Holmes waited over 40 years to file the complaint and he only filed it based on 3 years worth of royalties (for about $150,000) since the statute of limitations had long expired.

Luna Fortuna
  • Luna Fortuna

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

And Willie Dixon who won an out of court settlement? and you still need to address my other points. Was the intro to stairway to heaven a cover and why didn't they give the original artists credit if they were "covers"?

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Willie Dixon's complaint never became a formal suit.
it was settled very early on so that Zeppelin could get back to focusing on their 3rd album.

Dixon's complaint was also half-assed and frivolous at best.
Dixon was worried about the song "You Need Love" which he wrote for Muddy Waters to record originally. the British band Small Faces did a cover of "You Need Love" in the 60's called "You Need Loving."

Robert Plan wrote "Whole Lotta' Love" using only some of the lyrics from Dixon's original version.
but the structure of the verses was much more similar to the Small Faces cover, and the instrumentation (the music itself, the riffs) was not similar to either song.

it was still at least 75% a Led Zeppelin creation.
and even if it were less it still wouldn't matter. it's not technically plagiarism and it's not stealing. it's a very common practice in blues and rock n' roll.

Los Santos Pedestrian
  • Los Santos Pedestrian

Then as it was, but again it will be

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 21:19)
artists cover and sample other artists all the time by adding their own unique style and arrangement (and even lyrics) to the original. it doesn't mean they're stealing.

Exactly. The Doors covered Willie Dixon's "Back Door Man" with their unique sound. Did they get sued? Nope.

Luna Fortuna
  • Luna Fortuna

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Because it was a cover the doors gave willie dixon songwriting credits something Led zeppelin did not. And I'm still waiting for the answers to those questions El_Diablo.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

and I'm still waiting for you to stop trolling.

I don't really give a sh*t that Zeppelin didn't always list everyone who they covered in their liner notes. it doesn't change the fact that what they did was not stealing and it was not plagiarism. and it doesn't change the fact that the only couple of lawsuits which were filed against them were frivolous and stupid.
did you also know that Jake Holmes was essentially bankrupt when he decided to sue LZ (40 years after the song was released)? he was just a jealous old douchebag looking for someone to pay his retirement because he blew his money on booze.

Zeppelin are an incredible group with some of the most talented musicians to ever play their respective roles.

Jimmy Page happens to be one of the greatest guitar players who ever lived.
John Bonham happened to be one of the greatest drummers who ever lived.
and John Paul Jones happens to be one of the greatest bass players and multi-instrumentalists who ever lived.

they have inspired more artists than probably any other group or individual after Elvis.
this thread is about celebrating their music, not feeding trolls like yourself. either talk about the group and their music in a constructive way or please stop posting. you're making yourself look small and ignorant.

Luna Fortuna
  • Luna Fortuna

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

Please don't call me a troll. Celebrating there music well I absolutely adore black dog and Bonham drumming of course, there best song is achilles last stand which is really amazing. I don't listen much any more I used to have their cd's on in the car all the time though which made long car rides much more fun.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

Not to mention Jimmy Page was a fantastic producer. He produced all their albums.

So, even the tracks that are '100%' Zeppelin, they're just amazing and really a cut above a lot of bands.

I really was upset about borrowing or using influences. Basically it stopped me from being creative. If something I made or created, looked or sounded like something, I'd scrap it.

Basically the most original artists borrow everything, take influence etc. Some more drastically and probably less tastefully but it's done and accepted.

Kraftwerk ex member on asked for advice as to how to make music. He said borrow. Kraftwerk are considered to be like The Beatles of Electronic music. So original, so conceptual and so influential. He said The Beatles did. Play what you like and know and put your own touch on it. It's can be a hard pill to swallow but I see it as the only way. One person can be so original. It's all comes from somewhere. Info is and knowledge and taste is passed down.

Tarantino is confesses he knicks everything and puts his own twist on it. He watches movies and then watches more movies. Soaks it all in. Then does his thing.

Bottom line is all music is recycled, updated, evolving.
Sorry for going off topic.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Anyone see this? Always brings a smile to my face.. I really wish they would put Rumble in GTA V, it would fit the atmosphere.

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

?

• BUSTED!
  • Unknown

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

The first albums like me!

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:55 PM Edited by Exxon, 04 April 2013 - 05:58 PM.

Bump?

Too bad this thread didn't really come along.
I've got a friend who mostly listens to rock and the older kind of music, and he got me into this kind of music.
Thanks to him (thanks Robby!), I'm now a big fan of Led Zeppelin inlove.gif

These are some of my favorites (too many to list tounge.gif ):

Ofcourse, Stairway to Heaven is also one of my favorites, but that's unneeded to say tounge2.gif

The one beneath this bit of text, Good Times Bad Times, might just be my all-time favorite, Bonham's drumming in this one is phenomenal.
As for the two guys talking about borrowing music, I try to drum like John Bonham.
Did I copy him? Maybe, I'd rather say he's my inspiration and I thank a big part of my style to his icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users