Photo

Worst computer you ever owned

52 replies to this topic
ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

What is the worst computer you have ever owned. Im basing it on how much it crashed and how slow it was. So mines a tie:

user posted image
The sony Vaio VPCEE21FX. I had this laptop last year and it was an utter piece of s*it. It was slow and crashes alot and was FULL of bloatware. Sony sucks at making computers.

user posted image
The dell optiplex SX280 was slow and junky. The power failed once but i was able to get an extra from ebay. Then the hard drive kept stopping and i bought about 3 new drives UNTIL I FOUND OUT IT WAS ACTUALLY THE SATA DRIVE CABLE FAILING.
This was a horrible desktop. Also the power supply for the desktops almost the size of the tower itself.

blitz
  • blitz

yeah no

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

user posted image

Something that looked like this.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

user posted image

Acer Aspire M1641. It was pretty fast but the motherf*cker went through 4 mobos with cold solder joints. Finally salvaged all the good parts, put the mobo/case in the trash, and the new rig I built out of the parts is still going strong.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:19 AM

user posted image

This piece of crap that sitting in my storage room has a defective power supply and possibly a fried motherboard from excessive voltage. We've been through two GPUs so far and it died back in 2010. I've never gotten around to sending away to a friend of mine for repair, nor have I come upon the money for a new PSU.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:56 AM

first GTA IV machine, Gateway GT 5636e i think. really, it was an OS issue, couldn't play videos without crashing explorer - Vista threw up COM suggestion errors, etc.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:01 AM

It was some POS that my dad had built at a local shop. Had a Pentium 133Mhz, 96MB of SIMM RAM, 1.5GB HDD, 2MB video not graphics card, SoundBlaster 16 using an ISA slot, a 28.8k modem also using an ISA slot and Windows 95 because 98 wouldn't be out for another year or so. When we later upgraded to 98 and added an 8GB drive we had to partition it into 2GB partitions and be FAT16 because of the mobo BIOS but we could later use something build into 98 that would allow those partitions be turned into FAT32 and then use Partition Magic to merge them.
When we got rid of the system I had to use the 1.5GB to install the OS (Win95 first then upgrade to 98) then use a CD that came with the Maxtor 8GB drive to clone the 1.5GB drive to the 8GB then disconnected the 1.5GB to use it in case something goes wrong with the OS on the 8GB, kind of our version of a factory restore drive.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

This

user posted image

It's a eMachine's T3604... my god. It's so f*cking sh*tty and slow I don't even know where to start on this.

Don't even ask, I'm glad I got a Toshiba...

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

Took me quite some time before I had a computer of my own. As far as the family, my brother had some customer built PC back in the Windows 98 days. Pretty sure that was the first PC we had.

The first one I bought myself had an E6600 C2D 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 8600GT. I actually still have the processor, RAM, and mobo running with some newer supporting equipment as my living room PC. Starting to struggle with web browsing, locks up for a second or 2 on pages with lots of images for example. Although, I'm pretty sure a fresh OS install would fix that.

Burbalade
  • Burbalade

Ebay Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:53 AM

Packard Bell Legend 2440.

I'll snap some pics of it next time I'm at my house.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΛΟ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

I only ever owned like three computers. The PC I have right now which is crappy and old, and I also own two Commodore 64s, one of which doesn't work but I love these machines despite being over twenty years old. I am planning on collecting more vintage computers.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

It was an old Tiny PC (a crap support UK Company) looked a little like the one Blitz posted ^^^, Specs:

i486 DX2 66mhz
8Mb RAM
60Mb HDD
2x CD Drive (That's speed not how many)
3 1/2" Floppy
VESA Graphics (on-board)
16-bit Sound Blaster
MS-DOS 6.22
Windows 3.11

It actually wasn't that bad at the time, could just about run Dark Forces, what made it crap is that it could have run Windows 95 but Tiny wouldn't supply us with a Driver for the CD Drive so Windows 95 wouldn't install. Keep in mind this was before the internet was anything like it is now, this was when you had to wait for magazines with free discs to get the latest drivers, or wait for those mega-pack CD's with 1001 useless and useful apps on them

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

The worst computer I ever had.... is the one I have now lol... Pretty slow when using Windows 7, but I sense some speed in XP. Nevermind, in XP I experience lag spikes in GTASA, both Sonic 4 episodes aren't 60FPS to be really enjoyable, and wooo... it went through two repairs, and the processor+mobo generate 100C to the point the second repair had me buying a new CPU fan (not the external one.) Before either repairs, the computer also played an old game for like 60FPS for like 2 hours, till it went down to 10FPS, and fixing that required restarting the thing.

However, its beginning to be tolerable for me.. now... Till I figure out how to make a rig that gonna play GTA IV well.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

Seems theres a lot of hate for the acer/emachine brand lol

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 20:10)

Because they are sh*t.
Mine is an Acer as well.
Story goes like this;

Bought an Acer laptop from Wal-Mart on sale. Bring it home and install Linux on it to just use it for my browse the internet computer. Can't get the wireless to work so I decide to install Windows back on it. I got out MY copy of Windows and not the damn restore discs with all their nice adware. Install everything fine except the wireless drivers. So I gave Acer support a ring asking where I could find drivers and explained my situation. They outright told me my warranty was void because I installed Linux on it. Needless to say I used the restore discs on it and took it back to Wal-Mart.

f*ck a company that says my warranty is voided for using something other than Windows.
ASUS walked me through getting the wireless card working in my current laptop.
<3 me some ASUS.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

I've owned/used an Amiga however, that wasn't the worst computer I have ever used, the worst would have to be the Compaq laptop. Although, this was about fourteen years ago.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

In early 2002, I bought a sh*tty HP Pavilion (can't remember the sh*tty model number) that used Intel's ultra sh*tty 180 nm Willamette-based P4. It had the sh*tty Home Edition of Windows XP preloaded with all kinds of sh*tty bloatware and unwanted trials. The GPU was a sh*tty Radeon 7000. To make matters even worse, the sh*tty PSU was some sort of sh*t-ass, underpowered piece of sh*t custom designed by HP and therefore totally non-upgradeable.

It was slow as sh*t out of the box and got exponentially slower over time. A year later I built a new machine and haven't given a prebuilt system a look since.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (Waste @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 03:17)
QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 20:10)

Because they are sh*t.
Mine is an Acer as well.
Story goes like this;

Bought an Acer laptop from Wal-Mart on sale. Bring it home and install Linux on it to just use it for my browse the internet computer. Can't get the wireless to work so I decide to install Windows back on it. I got out MY copy of Windows and not the damn restore discs with all their nice adware. Install everything fine except the wireless drivers. So I gave Acer support a ring asking where I could find drivers and explained my situation. They outright told me my warranty was void because I installed Linux on it. Needless to say I used the restore discs on it and took it back to Wal-Mart.

f*ck a company that says my warranty is voided for using something other than Windows.
ASUS walked me through getting the wireless card working in my current laptop.
<3 me some ASUS.

I cant stand acer. Im using an emachines right now at my parents house until i go home later. Mine at home is no better but at least it dont crash a million times like any acer/emachine. Mines a dell optiplex GX260. Its OK but very old.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Don't really have a worst computer I ever own but the worst computer parts I ever own was my Acer CD drive and Acer CD writer.
The Acer 50x CD-rom shattered my disc and blasted the broken shards out of the drive.
This was back in 2000 when I still have my first computer. The CD-Rom cover was those free open types, not like the ones now where it's attach to the tray.
My Acer CD writer was a complete POS. Reading CD was a PITA as most of the time, I can hear the drive trying to read (motor spins up), and then poops out. CD burning isn't great either, the burn job will always crap out as well. Only a few times it would be successful, but then the burn disc will have trouble reading.
I was so happy when I finally got rid of these junks.
Then was also A-Open, twice as crap as Acer.

dansgas1000
  • dansgas1000

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Well this is my dad PC:

user posted image

he has still got it its sh*t it has Celeron D processor. It is SOOO slow can't do any tasks.

This is my PC:

user posted image

The specs for this are in my siggy but if its not in there now:
AMD Athlon Dual-Core 5400+ 2.8GHz
Radeon 3200 HD (San Andreas Low-medium settings 40fps)
2GB DDR2 800 RAM

Its sh*t and slow.

I will get this soon:

user posted image

lol.gif haha yes this is just the case but the specs:

GTX 670 2GB
i7 2600k
8GB DDR3 1600 RAm
PM me if you need to know more specs

And the worse one:
user posted image

This used to be the family PC 7 years ago at our old house. It got in my room when got new house for a time. It's slow and sh*tty. Its gone now lol.gif
Pentium 3 processor lol.gif

Thanks for reading.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (dansgas1000 @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 18:45)
user posted image

Nice budget keyboard protector, throw a bag over it and your done... sweet icon14.gif

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (dansgas1000 @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 13:45)
Well this is my dad PC:

user posted image

he has still got it its sh*t it has Celeron D processor. It is SOOO slow can't do any tasks.

My worst computer as well, well actually my mom's worst. It wasn't so much the hardware as how often it got malware (although I suppose that was our fault more than anything). She sold it to my grandmother, and she threw it away after a month or so.

Cursed
  • Cursed

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

user posted image

A Dell Inspiron 7500 (Had two actually). It was too heavy and bulky to be used as a laptop, the battery was dead, the fan was loud, it was ridiculously slow, the hinges were badly designed and both eventually snapped. On the upside it had an epic screen resolution (1400x1050).

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award
    Helpfulness Award [Technology]

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

user posted image

It would be okay, but DAMN that keyboard sucks. It's very uncomfortable and the keys aren't always registered. Touchpad is quite bad too.

dansgas1000
  • dansgas1000

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 19:28)
QUOTE (dansgas1000 @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 18:45)
user posted image

Nice budget keyboard protector, throw a bag over it and your done... sweet icon14.gif

No that's not mine I saw it on google images XD but funny post lol biggrin.gif anyway. Had a really crap white keyboard.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

The worst computer I remember using in my house was some old Tiny PC. I don't know any of the specs as I was like 4-5 at the time but it ran Carmageddon and Lego Racers quite nicely. My dad had his first computer before I was born which was bought second hand and the case was brown because the previous owner was a heavy smoker. Must of been disgusting inside.

ZoomZoom
  • ZoomZoom

Banned on request

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

My first computer which was a Pentium III with 128MB of RAM, 80GB of Hard Disk and 32 MB VGA it was damn slow and crappy...looked a lot like this.

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (Pico @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 04:44)
E6600 C2D 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 8600GT.

Strange that it's locking up for you, I had a PC with E6300 but otherwise same specs as yours. Still going strong after 5 years and doesn't seem to be complaining - it has handled loads of heavy 3Ds Max renders and playthroughs of games with too excessive requirements.

I don't have the PC anymore, but I sold it to a friend for 80 euros (98 dollars for you). He seems to be happy with it and will upgrade the ram first and videocard sometime later.

The worst computer I had?

A Pentium 4 one. My first ever PC had Pentium 4 and 512mb RAM and somehow it was about 10x better than this one with SiS 650 integrated graphics card and 1GB RAM. Now this shows that even a sh*tty GF6200 can make a difference when you have an overall sh*t PC.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

user posted image

Such a piece of sh*t.

Also:

user posted image

But that was more due to the fact it had Vista.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

I've been a part time Slamman, of sorts, taking in various machines over the years and tinkering with them. They were all usually sub-par or outmoded tech, but that was rather the point. It was fun to play with them and learn on them.

...then I bought my first computer. A package deal from Future Shop. If I remember correctly, it was a 1.7 Ghz AMD something-or-other. A compaq build, I think, but I couldn't be sure. Cost me about 1200 dollars which Future Shop credited me for right away! Credit is easy! I learned the hard way paying it back is not.

The machine was decent enough; I played lots games like Soldier of Fortune and Max Payne and I really enjoyed it. The downside, however, was Windows. ME.

Windows ME is the single most horrible user experience I've ever had with a PC. And I'm an old school computer guy; I grew up with System 7 and Windows 3.1... give me 3.1 over ME ANY DAY. That sh*t was terrible.

This all said, I think the worst investment I ever bought was a craigslist Dell laptop for 300. The battery died within a month and the power refused to respond after a few more. Was a lesson in cutting corners... IE, "don't do it."

Happier than a pig in sh*t with my new macbook; most powerful machine I've ever owned, and I'm already spoiled by the speed of SSD.

hugh750
  • hugh750

i drive fast in gta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

the worst pc i ever had was an hp pavillion a1619h, the case was really user unfriendly and mounting a new dvd drive that was better then the one that came with the pc was a chore because any drive other then the stock dvd drive wouldn't lock into place i had to work a couple of screws into said drive so it wouldn't move. mad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users