Photo

Controller for PC for GTA

16 replies to this topic
JamesDeaconUK
  • JamesDeaconUK

Hedge End Warrior

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Having just bought all GTA's of Steam to play on my Laptop, I am looking to invest in a controller that will work for all of them such as the Xbox 360 controller.

What controller should I get and will it work with every single GTA game including GTA 1 and GTA 2?

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:45 AM

I don't really remember,but is GTA 1 and 2 capable of changing the controls?If yes,then surely any controller will work with it.If you can't change controls,then I think you have a little problem.

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:39 AM Edited by Sektor, 21 July 2012 - 03:52 AM.

You can change the controls but GTA1/GTA2 might have trouble with analog sticks or some of the buttons. You'll probably have use joy2key or something like that to be able to use all the inputs.

JamesDeaconUK
  • JamesDeaconUK

Hedge End Warrior

• Members

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Do you think I should get an Xbox 360 Controller for PC to play GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, GTA IV, and Episodes from Liberty City or is there a better controller out there?

Having looked around the forums a bit more, I noticed that I should of posted this topic in the Tech and PC chat forum so sorry for that.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (JamesDeaconUK @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 20:50)
Thanks for the replies.

Do you think I should get an Xbox 360 Controller for PC to play GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, GTA IV, and Episodes from Liberty City or is there a better controller out there?

Having looked around the forums a bit more, I noticed that I should of posted this topic in the Tech and PC chat forum so sorry for that.

There are more sophisticated controllers out there for PC,but it's not worth it,they break fast.I suggest you use the XBOX controller you suggested.But only get them for the GTA games if you want to fell the original console feeling.Other than that,it's better on the pc.The pc may have some complicated controls,but it's easier to aim.I bought myself one of This to play old NES and SNES.It may not have enough buttons for modern games or somewhat older ones(like GTA 3)but i have got it for about almost 1 year and it works perfectly.It cost me about 15 US dollars,which is cheap as f*ck.

PS:If it's a wrong topic,someone will surely move it.Sadly the Top down games forum is very inactive.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

AKA PingPang

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:11 PM Edited by Frank.s, 19 July 2012 - 06:15 PM.

Use MotionInJoy to apply ANY controllers buttons to the keyboard keys of your choice. You're free to choose any controller you like. icon14.gif
I use my PS3 controller, no need to buy another pad. You've got a psn account under your sig so i'm guessing you already have a PS3 Controller.
Just read my post back, jesus i sound like an advertisement.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 21:11)
Use MotionInJoy to apply ANY controllers buttons to the keyboard keys of your choise. You're free to choose any controller you like. icon14.gif
I use my PS3 controller, no need to buy another pad. You've got a psn account under your sig so i'm guessing you already have a PS3 Controller.

Joy2key does the same thing too.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

AKA PingPang

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:16 PM Edited by Frank.s, 19 July 2012 - 06:20 PM.

Yeah, but i didn't know if it has the feature that allows the ps3 pad to work on pc, by default the ps3 pad isn't designed to work with a pc but motioninjoy has that built-in, not sure if joy2key has it.

JamesDeaconUK
  • JamesDeaconUK

Hedge End Warrior

• Members

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:13 PM Edited by JamesDeaconUK, 19 July 2012 - 08:46 PM.

Thanks for the replies again.

I might just buy an Xbox 360 controller just to make it feel different to the PS3 when I am playing PC because I am slightly bored of the PS3 at the moment.

One more question: Do I need to buy a Quick Charge Kit as well?

Maxaxle
  • Maxaxle

Used Car Acquisition Technician

• Members

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE (JamesDeaconUK @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 12:13)
Thanks for the replies again.

I might just buy an Xbox 360 controller just to make it feel different to the PS3 when I am playing PC because I am slightly bored of the PS3 at the moment.

One more question: Do I need to buy a Quick Charge Kit as well?

Don't get a 360 controller.
1. It can't do DirectInput for pre-GTA4 games.
2. (almost) all Logitech controllers will do DirectInput, and the nicer ones also do XInput.

JamesDeaconUK
  • JamesDeaconUK

Hedge End Warrior

• Members

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Can you explain to me what DirectInput and XInput are and could you also suggest a model from Logitech that I should buy.

Thanks.

TehTacoGuy
  • TehTacoGuy

Half taco, half human.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (JamesDeaconUK @ Friday, Jul 20 2012, 23:21)
Can you explain to me what DirectInput and XInput are and could you also suggest a model from Logitech that I should buy.

Thanks.

I'm using a Logitech F710, and it's a beaut. It supports Xinput and DirectInput, and it feels comfortable.

Can't remember which, but either DirectInput or Xinput (duh) is an older controller input that games supported. Most newer games support only the newer one.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Use the xbox 360 controller, connect your PS3 controller through usb and download the driver from modders, or buy a PS2 to usb adapter and use a ps2 controller. Works for me. Im using my PS3 controller.

JamesDeaconUK
  • JamesDeaconUK

Hedge End Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Just to let everyone know. I have been using a PS3 controller for the mean time and I am having no problems. However, I still ordered the Xbox 360 controller but can't seem to connect it to the laptop via a Wireless Receiver which came with the controller. Starting to frustrate me. If someone could help me connect it properly to the laptop so I can play GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas with it then I would be very happy.

MCN2012
  • MCN2012

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

I'm using a wired Xbox 360 controller, and whilst it does recognise the analogue sticks, there is no dead zone at all, so it is super sensitive. If the stick is 0.1 mm to the left or right of centre, your protagonist spins like mad.

CrashGordon94
  • CrashGordon94

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

For the Wireless 360 connector, did you install the software and sync them together?

Also, I happily use Xpadder and a Wireless 360 controller for my PC controller stuff.

slowhands111
  • slowhands111

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I never liked to play with keyboard, and I believe the most comfortable gamepad layout for GTA2 is to use "controller" as default controls, but instead of putting gas and braking on the analog stick, which is the default setting and isn't playable at all in my opinion (and acceleration seems to be only digital in GTA2), you could put Forward/Backward on the shoulder buttons and use the analogstick only for left/right.
Driving is quite enjoyable this way (although I would would prefer analog acceleration), but movement on foot is still a bit nervous in certain situations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users