The GTAIV Chain Game is for anyone who wants to play along, we are going to start a game from the beginning and take it to 100%.
Please read the Rules & Guidelines or the Newbie's Quick Start Guide before you start to play.
The Rules/Guidelines are here so that the game can progress and everyone can have an enjoyable experience while making a contribution to its completion.
- Newbie's Quick Start Guide
- Rules & Guidelines
- Posting Format
- Storyline Choices
- Helpful Links & Maps
- Chain Game officers
Newbie's Quick Start Guide (by rubregg)
- Call a turn by posting in this topic
- Download the last save
- Play one mission
- Upload your save on <Samutz Save N Play IV>.
- Post the link to your game back here within 3 hours. Edit your original posting to do this. Have a look at other players' postings and you'll get the idea.
- Don't use any cheat codes, cheat devices, mods, trainers or cleo scripts. They can seriously mess up things later in the game, so using them will not only spoil the fun for yourself, but also for the other players.
- Call your turn by posting in the topic.
- The definition of a "mission" is "any named mission". Examples are "Clean Getaway" and "Blood Brothers". If the save file name changes, then it's a "named mission".
- Download the previously posted save file. We want to use the same save file throughout the game and take it to 100%.
- Use the posting format (see below for the format).
- Complete ONE or TWO named mission only, save it and post a link back in the topic (use edit).
- Use <Samutz Save N Play IV> to upload.
- Wait until 2 other turns have been completed before calling another turn.
- If 4 hours pass without another player completing a turn, then the 2 mission wait rule is reset & anyone may call a turn. This does NOT mean to wait 4 hours between personal mission/turn calls.
- Time limit to complete the turn is 3 hours. We will use the post time in the topic. The timer starts when a turn is called. After 3 hours and the caller has not posted, it's a forfeit and anyone else may call a mission.
- The caller may call a forfeit. The forfeiter should wait at least one turn before calling another mission/turn. The forfeited turn will not count towards the '2-mission' wait rule.
- In the event of two gamers calling a turn the first one does the called mission.
- Mission strategy is up to the caller - just don't use cheats/trainers.
- Do not save after getting busted or wasted.
- The caller may purchase/collect items (weapons, etc.), eat, dress, date.
- The caller may do any non-named missions/collections/deliveries in the 3 hours. Please report any extra stuff in the Notes section.
- The caller doesn't have to call a mission when all they want to do is side missions. In that case, just call a turn, but remember that the 3 hour time limit will still apply.
- We expect the players to also adhere to the gtaforums.com rules. This includes "No warez/piracy (linking to, requesting or discussion of illegally obtaining copyrighted material) & Never open multiple accounts."
The rules are based on the ones used for the GTASA chain game. Since this is a new game for the PC & I haven't played the PS3 or XBox versions we are going to continue this & consider it a 'learn as we go' process for the first few rounds at least. If anyone has some constructive criticism or advice to offer, please don't hesitate to PM me.
- Do not fail a mission.
- Try to keep the safe house saves minimal. If you have a game crash problem on your system multiple saves are alright - save when you don't want to lose some progress.
- Please do not turn off the cell phone. This can cause missions to be missed.
- Try to save with full armor.
- Collect guns & ammo when possible.
- Save close to available missions when possible.
- A request to all players: Please post the completion percentage from the stats after you have completed your turn. The completion % can be found in STATS/MISC.
- Have FUN!
Here is the posting format to use:
Mission: Use the mission name as it appears on the screen. Don't use mission descriptions like 'that mission where you do a chase'
Called by: Use your handle.
Status: 'in progress' or 'completed'.
Completion %: from stats section
Notes: anything pertinent to the mission/strategy, things the next player should know or extra stuff done.
| [b][color=f97330]Mission:[/color][/b] |
How to Swap Save files. These links should explain what you have to do:
<XLiveLess - small replacement of the xlive.dll with no online support> by <listner>
<GTA IV Play any SaveGame> by <zerofreeze>
<Rick’s Game Stuff>
Abuse of the '3-mission' rule:
This supplement is designed to discuss some of the technicalities of the Chain Game's rules, and it was thought best to provide these in the original post.
Callers are encouraged to understand the basic ethos of the Chain Game. One should only call a mission, once the previous caller has completed his/her called mission and posted the new save. That's the basic idea of the chain: a new link can only be attached as long as the previous one is bound. Hence, to call a mission while a previous one is being completed, defeats the entire logic of the chain. In such a case, one can actually wait around and call every 4th mission beforehand, and negate the possibility of others to call the mission. This seems to be a fine loophole of the 3-mission wait rule, which callers should not exploit. Let's also consider the fact that when a mission/turn is called that the 3 hour timer has started.
Exceptions to the 'One Named Mission' rule:
In a few cases the next mission is triggered by a phone call & this call often comes before the player can get to a save point. It is desired that the player do only one 'named mission' per turn but in such cases as this it will be accecptable to complete a mission that is triggered by one of these phone calls. It is possible to hang up the call(s) that trigger a next mission, the call(s) may be received the next turn but in some cases these missions may need to be triggered by calling the person that gives Niko the mission. So far we have discovered the following: after The Master & the Molotov a phone call from Dimitri triggers Russian Revolution & after that another phone call triggers Roman's Sorrow . Another mission that is triggered by a phone call from Mallorie, is Hostile Negotiation . It seems that Hostile Negotiation doesn't follow any paticular mission but a phone call is triggered after Have a Heart (from Elizabeta) & Photoshoot (from Playboy X). Another phone call triggered mission is Paper Trail from U.L. Papers. It follows some time after the previous mission Dust Off. Another Mission, Weekend at Florian's (Ray Boccino/Roman) is triggered by a phone call from Ray immediately after Ray's mission No Way on the Subway. Undertaker is also a 'phone call triggered mission', the call comes after the Blood Brothers mission. Another phone call triggered mission is That Special Someone it is triggered by a phone call from U.L. Papers after completing Weekend at Florian's (Ray Boccino), Pest Control (Pegorino) and Liquidize the Assets (Gravelli). The last mission A Revenger's Tradgedy is a 'phone call triggered mission' also, it is triggered by a phone call from Little Jacob. This section may grow as we find more 'phone call triggered missions'. This info provided by aFinn, Thanks!
Here's a table version of the above information:
| ||Phone call follows completed mission(s):|
|Dimitri||The Master & the Molotov|
|Mallorie||Have a Heart & Photoshoot|
|U.L. Papers||Dust Off|
|Ray McReary||No Way on the Subway|
|Packie or Kate||Blood Brothers|
|U.L. Papers||Weekend at Florian's, Pest Control & Liquidize the Assets|
|Little Jacob||If the Price is Right|
Out of the Closet , Holland Play , Final Intreview & I'll take her are two-part missions. They may be done in one turn or seperatley. When the first part is completed & saved the save name will look like this: Out of the Closet... , Holland Play... , Final Interview... & I'll take her... After the second part is completed the saved mission name will read ...Out of the Closet , ...Holland Play , ...Final Interview & ...I'll take her . Please note that in Holland Play the player can 'speed' things up by calling Dwayne after coming out of Playboy X's apartment then go a few blocks away & call Playboy X, this will then trigger the mission. This section may grow as we find more 'two-part missions'. This info provided by aFinn, Thanks!
Storyline Mission Choices:
Note: Spoilers follow. The preferred choices are just a suggestion.
|Kill or don't Kill/Choice||Consequence||Suggested Choice|
|Kill Ivan||Will or will not return as Random Character||Don't Kill Ivan|
|Kill Cherise||Will or will not return as Random Character||Don't Kill Cherise|
|Kill Clarence||Will or will not return as Random Character||Don't Kill Clarence|
|Kill Playboy X or Kill Dwayne||Get Playboy X's house/Dwayne will send gang members||Kill Playboy X|
|Kill Francis McReary or Derrick McReary||Can call Francis to clear wanted level if Derrick killed||Kill Derrick|
|Kill Darko||No difference||Player's option|
|Deal or Revenge||Niko gets $250000 & Kate will be killed||Revenge|
All players may participate in Exporting, Deliverys, Assassinations, Vigilante, Most Wanted, Fixer, Stevie's Car Thefts, Activities (win a game of pool, darts, etc.), Meet Random Characters, Friend Activities/Abilities, Unique Stunt Jumps and Shooting the "Flying Rats". This does not have to be called separately.
Let's start with the same guidelines as the GTASA chain game; When the races are available do only one ( 1 ) race with a "named mission". Three ( 3 ) races may be done if a "named mission" is not done.
Other things to keep in mind:
Friend Activities: All callers can help the progress with any of the friends in the game. It does not have to be called separately, and if it is, the '3 hour' wait rule will apply as always. It's suggested & hoped that the players will help to keep the friends 'happy' in their relationship with Niko. It is desired that Niko be able to use the friend(s) special abilities.
Maps for Collectibles & information:
<GTA4.net Liberty City map collection>
<GTA4.net Liberty City mission guide>
<GTA4.net Liberty City Assassinations guide>
<GTA4.net Liberty City characters>
<GTA4.net Liberty City friends and girlfriends>
<GTA4.net Liberty City random characters>
<Pigeon location map by GTA4.net> A map for keeping track of the Pigeons that have been shot. Please use this map to report numbers of the Pigeons that have been shot.
<GTA4.net Liberty City Stevie's Car Thefts>
<Storyline Choices by en.wikiGTA.org>
The GTA IV chain game officers:
OrionSR for the original idea of the chain game
aFinn, saintdave & The Yardies for technical assistance
girishb for the checklist
rubregg for the 'jumpto' coding education & other frontpage features & ideas
Ja750 & CCPD for the chains banner art
UKF_Kurtis for Stevies Txt Message Car Guide Map