Photo

Godzilla Reboot

116 replies to this topic
W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Last year my personal favorite movie was Pacific Rim, this year by the look of things, Godzilla. Legendary is Legendary!

• Undertaker13 likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Well, looks certainly better than the 1990's one.

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:20 PM Edited by Dnero, 12 March 2014 - 06:22 PM.

moar kaijus  :panic:

We return to the Honolulu airport just as the power is being restored to the tram. The crowd on the train has a brief moment of relief before all awesome holy hell breaks loose. The tram is thrown from its tracks by a massive Kaiju that stylistically looks like a combination of a mosquito and the Cloverfield monster. It looks like this is the creature the government had a bead on over the radio.

The tram dangles precariously as Aaron Taylor-Johnson reaches out to save his young ward. But even if he does, who will stop the creature destroying the airport? Who the hell do you think? In a pretty heroic reveal for a character that has already caused mass destruction in his own right, the King of All Monsters steps up to put a smack down. With a massive roar, we get our first full look at the original big bad ass. And he is gorgeous! A perfectly updated look of Toho's creation stands before us.

Back at the airport the power comes back on in the railcar and the kid seems less freaked out. The track behind them lights up in sections, brightening up the airport as it goes. One section, two, three and then something seems wrong. The next section lights up and a crazy bald bat-looking monster stands over it, two legs on each side. It's kind of like the Cloverfield monster in proportions, but much more detailed.

This thing goes crazy and starts tearing up the railcar. Taylor-Johnson protects the kid as the thing gets thrown about, ripped open and people start spilling out. This monster is maybe 25-30ish feet tall, I'd guess. In the chaos of the attack a chain reaction of explosions is set off, jet fuel in airplanes parked at gates ignite and like dominoes they explode one after another. The final one explodes and a thick foot stomps down.

And here is when Edwards reveals Godzilla's second threat: Another kaiju! It's a multi-limbed creature with what look like wings on its back (that would explain the mystery shape we saw cutting through the clouds in the official trailer)...

sauce

f*ck this new sh*t, can't even copy paste right without the text being f*cked

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

f*ck me, that sounds amazing...

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

Sounds good. Also Dnero, if you are using Chrome, use the past as plain text to get rid of any formatting that sticks. That way your posts don't look like ass, unless you want them too.

raunchy
  • raunchy

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:10 AM

really really really hype for this. skeptical about bryan cranston's inclusion but will probably go to the midnight screening.

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Members

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

After seeing this I became really upset with myself. You see, I live in San Antonio, about an hour from Austin. I have been a G-Fan for more than 35 years and would've loved to be there. But I made a big mistake. I didn't keep track of any potential G showings here in Texas and, because I was so focused on the SXSW Gaming Expo, I didn't bother to look. Really, really screwed up here. But if there's a sequel I will definitely keep better track of it, especially when SXSW rolls around.

BTW, at 1:40, the guy speaking is artist Matt Frank. He lives in San Antonio and does the artwork for the Godzilla comic books for IDW. I first ran into him at a convention at WonderLand Mall some time back and he hosted a showing of the recently released restored version of Godzilla vs. Megalon (which I managed to attend). Also ran into him again recently at the San Antonio Comic-Con last October.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:45 AM Edited by Slamman, 20 March 2014 - 03:48 AM.

I was banned by mid 2012, so I never saw the earlier articles, Wasn't intending to post already mentoned topics, however, I wonder what Roland Emmerich's up to for his upcoming movies, seeing as this isn't going to be from him, but as I understand it, he doesn't really handle sequels like Michael Bay would.

The stars are worth mentioning, but I don't think Roland's Godzilla was a fail based on the look of the monster, everything else in the film was really enjoyable, even my folks watched the movie and my mom laughed. Humor is always a factor that doesn't adversely effect Roland's movies

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:57 PM Edited by geobst, 20 March 2014 - 03:58 PM.

No worries, Bill.

I can't really remember Godzilla that much. I was just a wee boy when I watched it and I haven't watched it more than twice. I remember enjoying it, as I'm sure many of you guys did when you were younger. Although I'm not really into these sort of movies anymore, I'm definitely going to give this a watch because of Cranston if nothing else. I do have to say though, it doesn't look that bad so far.

I hope that the movie will be as good as it looks. When it comes to movies like this special effects are obviously a strong factor, although sometimes they're overused. So long as special effects aren't overused, the movie shouldn't be that bad. Although I haven't seen much of Edwards' or Borenstein's work, the cast, as Slamman said, are worth mentioning and should work.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

I'll probably see it just the same as well, 15 years alone is a long time, as mentioned, it will be interesting to see how it does in today's market. I grew up with the Japanese version so it was nice to see an American spin but with excellent casting in having French actor Jean Reno, The Professional in there as well!

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:53 AM

Well, looks certainly better than the 1990's one.

That 1998 version was Godzilla in name only. You can't take the Japanese element out of Godzilla, which is what TriStar did and failed. This 2014 version seems to pay homage to Toho's 1954 original, which I love.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

The 98 version was trash, looked like a t Rex not zilla, the f*ckin thing was hiding behind buildings as well. Just utter nonsense. Really looking forward to this film, can't wait to see Godzilla taking on the mutos. I hope the movie does well so we may possibly get king ghidora and the like in the future too.
  • Funktipus likes this

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

Here's my favorite Godzilla wallpaper.
bGzjG8g.jpg
  • W2B likes this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Members

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:09 AM

• W2B likes this

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Guys, f*cking Rodan, and possibly Gigan and Kumongo are in the movie. My excitement for this has grown one thousand percent.

• Dnero, W2B and CatDog96 like this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, that trailer was f*cking mindblowing! Definitely going to go watch this when it comes out.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

Holy crap, cannot wait for this!!!

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

I won't lie.

Godzilla movies - like every other monster / disaster movie ever made - are (and always have been) campy at best.
they're usually terrible, and I'm sure this one won't be any different tounge2.gif

I'm sure there will be some cool special effects and the CGI destruction of New York or some other big city.
but these gimmicks are dime-a-dozen nowadays.

short of having my girlfriend drag me along, I can't see myself willingly pay money to watch a Godzilla movie in the theater.

I agree, totally.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

I won't lie.

Godzilla movies - like every other monster / disaster movie ever made - are (and always have been) campy at best.
they're usually terrible, and I'm sure this one won't be any different tounge2.gif

I'm sure there will be some cool special effects and the CGI destruction of New York or some other big city.
but these gimmicks are dime-a-dozen nowadays.

short of having my girlfriend drag me along, I can't see myself willingly pay money to watch a Godzilla movie in the theater.

I agree, totally.

Toho's original 1954 "Gojira' wasn't campy at all. Yeah, the SPFX was primitive, but the story was serious in tone.

LOES
  • LOES

Kawaii!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:47 AM

Can't wait for the new one gonna watch it with a friend whom I haven't seen in months

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Members

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:40 AM

If you think this is just like the sub-standard double feature DVD release from years ago, think again. All have been remastered with proper screen ratios (anamorphic as well) and with Japanese audio soundtracks for those who wish not to deal with dubs. I've waited a long time for somebody to do something about restoration of the Heisei series and this pretty much nails it (as far as I can see based on the information I've found on them so far). With the exception of "The Return of Godzilla" (aka "Godzilla 1985") (rights issues) and "Godzilla vs. Biollante" (already released) the Heisei series is pretty much covered. They even got three of the six Millennium films in this mass release. Hopefully they will get the remaining three later including a proper Japanese soundtrack for "Godzilla 2000".

This is in addition to five of the older Showa films just released to Blu-Ray including "Godzilla vs. King Kong" (sadly still dub only). "King Kong Escapes" has also been released at the same time along with the entirety of the older Gamera films. My first Blu-Ray was the Heisei Gamera trilogy and I was very impressed with them.

Thanks to the new G film this has become an awesome time to be a Kaiju fan, both for newbies and veterans.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

HOLY f*ck 

I just came out of the cinema. It was absolute pure f*cking gold.

Godzilla isn't in it that much. But when he is... my semen was overflowing 4 entire rows. 

Go see it. 

GO SEE IT NOW, DO IT!

• GTA564 likes this

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

my semen was overflowing 4 entire rows. 

that's quite the endorsement :lol:

I'm still afraid that it's gonna' be silly, but the way people are talking about it so far, I might have to go ahead and see this one.

apparently it's a pretty great experience on IMAX.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:28 AM Edited by Xerukal, 16 May 2014 - 12:31 AM.

I'm still afraid that it's gonna' be silly, but the way people are talking about it so far, I might have to go ahead and see this one.

Oh, it definitely isn't in the fashion of the goofier Godzilla movies. 

I don't remember the original movie that much. But as far as I can recall, it did try to tell a serious story with a message regarding nuclear weaponry. The Godzilla movies after that (all the "versus" movies) were the ones that were all goofy and purely based on destruction and monster versus monster action (not that this movie doesn't have it's fair share of spectacular monster beatdowns, it sure does)

This one is a straight up remake of the original. It is very character driven, for sure. In fact, Godzilla doesn't even appear all that much in it. But when he does, and especially if you're watching this in 3D, it is absolutely f*cking glorious.

I haven't watched a movie in 3D in a very long time. Many years, in fact. But those last 30-40 minutes of the movie? They made my jaw stay fused to the ground. And I'm not even too big on my Godzilla lore. But when I saw the way they implemented some of his classic features, I just couldn't help but cheer like a madman. 

Some people may be turned off by how little Godzilla himself appears in the movie. I am, to an extent. But I just cannot hold that against the movie when I remember the scenes where he does appear and how literally AWEsome he is in his scenes. 

f*ck I can't wait to get this on DVD. 

Xyn
  • Xyn

₥ɇⱦɇ₥psyȼhøsis

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:08 AM

What a great drama film...

...too bad I paid for a Godzilla film and got this instead.

Not impressed. still love the Toho films more.

Still hopeful that one day we Americans can make a great Godzilla film though...one day.

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:18 AM

Awesome movie. Disappointed that the MUTOs got like twice the screen time than the beast the movie is named after, but the ending was awesome. Atomic breath and tail bitch slapping for days

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Oh, it definitely isn't in the fashion of the goofier Godzilla movies. 

I don't remember the original movie that much. But as far as I can recall, it did try to tell a serious story with a message regarding nuclear weaponry. The Godzilla movies after that (all the "versus" movies) were the ones that were all goofy and purely based on destruction and monster versus monster action (not that this movie doesn't have it's fair share of spectacular monster beatdowns, it sure does)

This one is a straight up remake of the original. It is very character driven, for sure. In fact, Godzilla doesn't even appear all that much in it. But when he does, and especially if you're watching this in 3D, it is absolutely f*cking glorious.

I haven't watched a movie in 3D in a very long time. Many years, in fact. But those last 30-40 minutes of the movie? They made my jaw stay fused to the ground. And I'm not even too big on my Godzilla lore. But when I saw the way they implemented some of his classic features, I just couldn't help but cheer like a madman. 

Some people may be turned off by how little Godzilla himself appears in the movie. I am, to an extent. But I just cannot hold that against the movie when I remember the scenes where he does appear and how literally AWEsome he is in his scenes. 

f*ck I can't wait to get this on DVD. 

Godzilla's screen time seems to be the big problem with some folks. But that was the case with some of the Toho films. Haven't seen it yet - I just hope it'll make me forget the crapfest from 1998.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:02 AM Edited by Xerukal, 18 May 2014 - 12:04 AM.

Yeah, in retrospect, I think the amount of screen time he gets is a pretty big flaw. 

Spoiler

Aside from all of this, though. I still can't help but love the movie. 

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:03 AM

I saw the movie yesturday. Godzilla 2014 was very garbage. That godzilla was too fat and too slow and there was barely any screen time. Every time a fight is about to happen, they cut it off to some bs human drama crap.

I don't care what anyone says. The 1998 Godzilla was the best godzilla movie ever made.

godzilla-1998.jpg?w=500&h=375

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Members

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:51 AM

I saw the movie as part of an event at one of the Alamo Drafthouses here in San Antonio (Texas Toku Taisen). I thought it was good despite certain flaws (way too much teasing, bland main character) but certainly better than the '98 film. Just before the first reveal in Honolulu the projector broke down leaving the audience in darkness and with a general feeling of "You have GOT to be kidding me". As the techs worked to fix the problem somebody in the audience brought out a flashlight and a Godzilla action figure and did a shadow of it on the blank screen which brought out big laughs from the audience. Somebody else brought out a Gigan figure and they did a shadow fight until the film came back on a few minutes later. An amusing bonus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users