Quantcast

» «
Photo

Social Club won't let me install Gta IV?

22 replies to this topic
thirdman
  • thirdman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hello! I'm not really familiar with this forum so i don't really know how nice and helpful you are, but hopefully any of you would like to help me out, even though it might sound stupid.

Anyway: When i earlier today tried to install Gta IV i got stuck. The installation tells me to launch the game through Social Club, but SC gives me this error message;

Application Failed to Launch. The application you are attempting to launch failed to start. GTA IV may be blocked by Windows Parental Controls/Family Safety. Please make sure you have access to the application before trying to launch it, or contact support at:

I haven't even installed the game... And it won't let me because it requires me to launch it through SC, and SC won't let me launch the game beacuse i haven't installed it.

This feels stupid and i'm sure it has an obvious conclusion and i just embarresed myself by asking for help blush.gif

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

GTA IV may be blocked by Windows Parental Controls/Family Safety

Are you trying to install the game from an Administrator User Account on that PC? Also, that error means that the Parental Control feature on the PC is blocking the game(M rating)...So, Turn OFF Parental Controls AND Install the game from an Administrator User Account and you should have no problems...

thirdman
  • thirdman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Sunday, Jul 15 2012, 20:45)
GTA IV may be blocked by Windows Parental Controls/Family Safety

Are you trying to install the game from an Administrator User Account on that PC? Also, that error means that the Parental Control feature on the PC is blocking the game(M rating)...So, Turn OFF Parental Controls AND Install the game from an Administrator User Account and you should have no problems...

I am trying to install it from an administrator user, and it says there is no possibility for this user to have Parental Control beacuse of that reason.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Alright, then Please post the Required information from the Pinned Troubleshooting topic, as posted by Wolf68k(a moderator) so we can better help you:
(To accurately diagnose problems the following should be posted for any PC problems)
What CPU and its speed
How much RAM, also what kind (DDR, SDRAM) and speed
What video card AND Vram and How much Dedicated
Which version of Windows (and any service packs)
Which DirectX version and Driver version
What sound card and driver version
History: Is this your first install? Did it work once before? Anything that is relevant.
Screenshots, if applicable. This is especially necessary with display issues which can be explained far easier by use of visual aids.
Above all else, a detailed description of your problem. Give as much information as possible! Keep it relevant, though. We don't need a fifty-page printout from some diagnosis program. Usually the above prompts will suffice.

If you don't know the more detailed specs of your system, and the system control panel is of little help for most of these, download and use Everest Free Edition 2.20 or Fresh Diagnose. Be sure to extract only the relevant information from these programs - again, lengthy printouts are meaningless and tedious to rifle through.

Do not ask questions relating to modding in any way or form - we have an entire editing subforum to house any such inquiries.

Sorry, I'm just getting tired of seeing people ask questions and everyone else trying to help have to turn around and ask that person questions that should have been already included with the original question.

thirdman
  • thirdman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Sunday, Jul 15 2012, 21:08)
Alright, then Please post the Required information from the Pinned Troubleshooting topic, as posted by Wolf68k(a moderator) so we can better help you:
(To accurately diagnose problems the following should be posted for any PC problems)
What CPU and its speed
How much RAM, also what kind (DDR, SDRAM) and speed
What video card AND Vram and How much Dedicated
Which version of Windows (and any service packs)
Which DirectX version and Driver version
What sound card and driver version
History: Is this your first install? Did it work once before? Anything that is relevant.
Screenshots, if applicable. This is especially necessary with display issues which can be explained far easier by use of visual aids.
Above all else, a detailed description of your problem. Give as much information as possible! Keep it relevant, though. We don't need a fifty-page printout from some diagnosis program. Usually the above prompts will suffice.

If you don't know the more detailed specs of your system, and the system control panel is of little help for most of these, download and use Everest Free Edition 2.20 or Fresh Diagnose. Be sure to extract only the relevant information from these programs - again, lengthy printouts are meaningless and tedious to rifle through.

Do not ask questions relating to modding in any way or form - we have an entire editing subforum to house any such inquiries.

Sorry, I'm just getting tired of seeing people ask questions and everyone else trying to help have to turn around and ask that person questions that should have been already included with the original question.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate Media Center Edition, CPU unknown (3000 MHz), my version of DirectX is 4.09..00.0904 (DirectX 9.0)

That's basically what i could find, if RAM, sound and video-card is important i could take an extra look, but i don't really know what i'm looking for. Keep in mind this computer is almost 6 years old (Gta IV was played perfectly before).

Screenshot; http://imageshack.us...aivproblem.png/

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:10 AM Edited by mkey82, 16 July 2012 - 06:13 AM.

Do you absolutely need the multiplayer? You can easily disable all of the RGSC bullsh*t with xliveless.

To check parental controls, look here http://answers.micro...a7-90fff12027c2
You may need to firstly add a password to your admin account which you can easily remove afterwards.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

You may need to firstly add a password to your admin account which you can easily remove afterwards.

Unfortunately, you can't set Parental Controls on a Administrator account, as you get the following message: here... Note My account is an Administrator account with a password, and I still get that message..and it is just my account and my girlfriends accounts on this PC, as seem in the screen shot...The screen shot is from Windows 7, however, the same message comes up on Vista..

However, the Xliveless thing may work, once he gets the game installed.. smile.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

In any case, parental controls should be OFF not on. If at any time any account settings have been modified, it may be possible RGSC is picking up on that. Maybe creating a new account can sort this mess, at least long enough to have the game installed.

I haven't noticed the game is not even installed. This RGSC update may fix the problem http://www.rockstarg...SGSC/index.html
The large installer contains the entire .net package which you shouldn't need as it comes preinstalled on windows 7.
Also, try starting the application in compatibility mode, say under Windows XP SP3 or Windows 2000, that one saved me a couple of times.

thirdman
  • thirdman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

I'm sorry to say multiplayer is the entire reason why i want to install the game again, i miss running around and do crazy things with other players online, so i guess skipping the RGSC is not possible sad.gif

And i do have the latest patch already, before i created this thread i did a lot of googling and even youtube-searching who all recommended this but it wasn't that simple.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Have you tried compatibility modes or not? Try creating a new admin account and then try installing from there. Also, try installing in safe mode.

thirdman
  • thirdman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Monday, Jul 16 2012, 18:46)
Have you tried compatibility modes or not? Try creating a new admin account and then try installing from there. Also, try installing in safe mode.

Changing to compatibility mode didn't work. Neither did change to anotherr admin-user. I treid chaning to safe-mode aswell but i couldn't find any internet connection which RGSC required to start the game.

Isn't the problem that RGSC want to start the game, but i yet haven't installed it? It clearly says "Please make sure you have access to the application before you try to launch it" confused.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:38 AM Edited by mkey82, 17 July 2012 - 05:41 AM.

I distinctly remember you didn't have to be online before to install the game. Even for activation you could have used an offline method, they mush have changed something for the worse.

There could be one possible alternative to install the game "manually" by using this http://legroom.net/s...are/uniextract/
Basically, this program can extract files in a way similar to the official installer, it may work for the GTAIV installer, haven't tested it really. You just need to create a folder manually somewhere in the program files, something like "c:\program files\GTAIV" and point uniextract there. Then open up the setup exe from the game disk (not some autorun exe you may have there) in the program and hope for the best. If it gives you multiple extracting options, just try them all, there's no chance you can do any harm to your machine or files.

By following this method, if the game gets installed, registry entries will not be created so patch 7 will not allow to be installed. For this, you can use the "manual" patch 7 installer I created here http://www.mediafire...on51nqo8i6xxanx

thirdman
  • thirdman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Jul 17 2012, 05:38)
I distinctly remember you didn't have to be online before to install the game. Even for activation you could have used an offline method, they mush have changed something for the worse.

There could be one possible alternative to install the game "manually" by using this http://legroom.net/s...are/uniextract/
Basically, this program can extract files in a way similar to the official installer, it may work for the GTAIV installer, haven't tested it really. You just need to create a folder manually somewhere in the program files, something like "c:\program files\GTAIV" and point uniextract there. Then open up the setup exe from the game disk (not some autorun exe you may have there) in the program and hope for the best. If it gives you multiple extracting options, just try them all, there's no chance you can do any harm to your machine or files.

By following this method, if the game gets installed, registry entries will not be created so patch 7 will not allow to be installed. For this, you can use the "manual" patch 7 installer I created here http://www.mediafire...on51nqo8i6xxanx

Before i try this i must ask: How did you and all the others install the game? Did the installation begin when you launched the game through RGSC?

This sounds unbelievably stupid, that i have to launch the game through RGSC to install the game, but i can't launch it through RGSC because i haven't installed the game... How come this only happened to me?

Something else must be wrong and i guess i will have to try Rockstars support and see if they can help. I will probably recieve an automatic answer which links me to a FAQ that won't help me at all.

Thanks for taking time trying to help me out icon14.gif If Rockstars support doesn't help i will try Uniextract.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

Do you have RGSC installed or not? You can install the application from the above link and it should be available on the game disk. The problem is, there have been many distributions of this bloody game.

I can't recall any more, was RGSC installation done prior to game installation or not. What I do remember you didn't have to be online - as I wasn't the first time I installed the game. I connected only briefly to activate it via securom.

Don't expect a lot from R* support, I have yet to see someone they managed to provide any help to.

BTW, you have been running setup.exe from the game disk, right?

thirdman
  • thirdman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Jul 17 2012, 07:31)
Do you have RGSC installed or not? You can install the application from the above link and it should be available on the game disk. The problem is, there have been many distributions of this bloody game.

I can't recall any more, was RGSC installation done prior to game installation or not. What I do remember you didn't have to be online - as I wasn't the first time I installed the game. I connected only briefly to activate it via securom.

Don't expect a lot from R* support, I have yet to see someone they managed to provide any help to.

BTW, you have been running setup.exe from the game disk, right?

RGSC is downloaded and installed. I tried downloading online and the one you get from the game installation guide but neither worked.

It only says "Make sure the application is available before trying to launch it". If the "application" is Gta or RGSC i don't know.

Weird thing is that RGSC is only for online sessions, but still it says i have to launch the installation through it? It makes no sence at all.

And yes i've tried both modify and repair in setup.exe, but when the maintenance is done i click "finish" and nothing else happens.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'm confused a bit, you're running maintenance on what? Also, at which stage of the *game* installation did you get the error? Did the installer finish copying the game files or not?

thirdman
  • thirdman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Jul 17 2012, 17:23)
I'm confused a bit, you're running maintenance on what? Also, at which stage of the *game* installation did you get the error? Did the installer finish copying the game files or not?

Here is the entire installation progress:

http://imageshack.us...tallation1.png/
(autorun)
http://imageshack.us...tallation2.png/
(accept)
http://imageshack.us...tallation4.png/
(modify - next)
http://imageshack.us...tallation5.png/
(finish)
http://imageshack.us...tallation6.png/
(nothing happens, i put DISC 1 in again)
http://imageshack.us...tallation7.png/
(launch social club - nothing happens because i haven't installed it yet)

I start downloading RGSC:
http://imageshack.us...tallation1.png/
(full install)
http://imageshack.us...tallation2.png/
(doesn't start automatically, i open it through setup.exe)
http://imageshack.us...tallation8.png/
(i start RGSC, asks me to link gamertag which - remind me later)
http://imageshack.us...tallation9.png/
(login - play- error message)

Might be a little confusing but it makes sence. Is there something you notice i'm doing wrong? One weird thing was that i wasn't able to install RGSC directly from the disc as i've done before, now i had to download it myself because i got stuck at "launch social club".

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Something IS installed, because it offers you the option to remove installation http://imageshack.us...tallation4.png/

Choose the remove option and afterwards start the installer again.

thirdman
  • thirdman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Jul 17 2012, 18:47)
Something IS installed, because it offers you the option to remove installation http://imageshack.us...tallation4.png/

Choose the remove option and afterwards start the installer again.

I've already done this a few times but the error-message still shows up.

What would i do if i didn't want to play with RGSC? What if i was only looking for the singleplayer campaign?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

You need to answer one simple question - once the installation starts and I mean starts from fresh, does it complete? Installation takes about 15-20 minutes since the game comes on two DL disks.

Is there anything installed in "c:\program files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV" (which should be the default game installation path)?

thirdman
  • thirdman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:14 PM Edited by thirdman, 17 July 2012 - 09:31 PM.

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Jul 17 2012, 21:04)
You need to answer one simple question - once the installation starts and I mean starts from fresh, does it complete? Installation takes about 15-20 minutes since the game comes on two DL disks.

Is there anything installed in "c:\program files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV" (which should be the default game installation path)?

There is an installation but it takes about 1 - 2 minutes, and i'm sure that's not the game itself.

In the Rockstar Games-folder there is only RGSC.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

Completely uninstall whatever has been installed and initiate the setup procedure again. It may be easiest if you'd record a video of it.

NikoBelch456
  • NikoBelch456

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right thing to do for you but it worked for me. You have to go into control panel and uninstall GTAIV from there and then you must wait until it disappears from the list. Again, I don't know if this was the same problem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users