Photo

[WIP/IV/SA..] 1971 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed

14 replies to this topic
Burner
  • Burner

Big McLargehuge

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

Saw one of these at a car show recently done up like this.

I took my stock long wheelbase C-10 model, shortened it, detrimmed it and stole wheels off another car of mine. Not much, but it looks cool and thought I'd share. Polycount is 63000+

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Wow, 1 day old topic of Burner without a reply? Is the vehicles subforum dead?

Okay, what to say - it looks a bit too clean for my taste but looks good (I thought - who would tune a car like that this way and only then saw your mention of where you got the influence). I bet this would look mint in IV and some ICEnhancer shots.

With that much polies it's strange to see that your rims aren't perfectly smooth, I can see some discreet jaggy edges. Just thought to point it out, but it's not much of a matter.

Chris_lolwut
  • Chris_lolwut

RIMSRIMSGUNSGUNS

• Members

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Would love to see this bad boy in gta4 man :v

Burner
  • Burner

Big McLargehuge

• Members

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

What does too clean mean? Heh.

Yeah, lack of replies/interest is why I don't make these anymore. I dunno where all the car makers and the following went whatsthat.gif I didn't expectg much for this one anyway, since it doesnt difer that much from the original. But the original didn't get much response either.

Maybe when GTAV PC modding becomes possible it'll pick up.

About the wheels, they are from another car that I made many years ago, so they aren't as sharp as a new wheel I'd make now. If you search you can find the original version of this truck on this forum and see the wheels I did for it, which in retrospect are probally too rounded/smooth for a game models wheel.

I'd love this in IV, but my 'ingame installers' have moved on as well, I believe. Oh well. turn.gif

Nik.
  • Nik.

Hochmeister

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

If you ask me carmodding for gta died when ppl hacked Forza...

Car looks excellent Burner, as always when it comes from you. smile.gif

If you mean flashg, you can always hit him up on the_borg. wink.gif

Jacko427
  • Jacko427

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:13 AM

Yep, GTA car modding has died a long time ago since Forza crap has been hacked.
Every day I check GTAInside, full of Forza crap, nothing but cars from Forza.
Damn these suckers!

I love this car, however, I prefer stock vehicles.
What happened to the C-10, that other lightblue pickup in your other topic?
Would you allow me to convert that C-10 baby to GTA SA?

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

Looks great!

I'd love to see a version with a Big Block. ph34r.gif

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Burner @ Saturday, Jul 14 2012, 12:47)
What does too clean mean? Heh.

Maybe it's just me, but this kind of car doesn't look good just with dropped suspension and new rims (and removed chrome decals/trim) I liked the original's practical stuff like towbar and other stuff. And where's the mirrors? Did the original really don't have any side mirrors? Maybe you should add some JDM style mirrors, on the wings.

However, if I'd see this car in real life, then probably give the owner a high five, as it's preserved in such mint condition - but apart from that, this needs something else.

I'm not criticising you at all, I just give my opinion on this kind of tuning.

Anyway, I remember you had a Fiat modelled in 3Ds Max. For first 2 years I used ZModeler2, doing small and unimportant stuff and never learned that much, apart from what can be done when you know how to model. I then moved to 3Ds Max and got a huge boost in improving my modelling skills (which are far from perfection of yours), so I want to know which you prefer the most - ZM2 or 3Ds Max?

Burner
  • Burner

Big McLargehuge

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

That is a big block tounge2.gif C10 engine compartments are huge. I modelled a big block to take up more space. My real life truck has a small block, but it looked goofy in 3D having the engine look so tiny, much like the steering wheel does in the interior, even though my steering wheel in my truck is that small in life. In 3D, some things don't translate well wink.gif

This truck appearing to 'clean' or like something is missing is another example of things not translating well to 3d. I've noticed that on some of my other customized cars with shaved door handles and such before. What can ya do..? *shrugs*

I didn't have a set of mirrors for the truck I could swipe off another model, and for the purposes of this model, didn't feel like modeling new ones. The original wing mirrors didn't fit the style of model, so I just left off mirrors.

I still use zmod 1 ph34r.gif I think the biggest reason I dont use Max and ZM2 is the way the 3d view works. In Max/Zm2, I can't just drag my mouse from the side/front/top view where I'm working to the 3d view, click on the model, and rotate/zoom with the left/right mouse buttons. I have to make that additional click on the hand icon or the magnafing glass icon, then rotate/zoom. That annoys the piss out of me. Plus mapping in Max is too complicated and automated. I make my textures first, then texture map the model to fit the textures. Max is set up for automapping the model based on preferences, then in photoshop, I gotta stretch/draw the tex to fit the mapping. Pain in the ass. It's easier to drag a vert in UV mapper to make the polys fit the weird angled textures I use most of the time. Plus being able to rotate the mapping on the x,y,z axis in uv mapper is a life saver. I'm sure I can do that stuff in max, but I'd probally have to go through 10 sub menus to do it. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

Nik.
  • Nik.

Hochmeister

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Now you know you need to throw a big block in your irlcar. tounge.gif

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Burner @ Sunday, Jul 15 2012, 12:56)
Plus mapping in Max is too complicated and automated. I make my textures first, then texture map the model to fit the textures. Max is set up for automapping the model based on preferences, then in photoshop, I gotta stretch/draw the tex to fit the mapping. Pain in the ass. It's easier to drag a vert in UV mapper to make the polys fit the weird angled textures I use most of the time. Plus being able to rotate the mapping on the x,y,z axis in uv mapper is a life saver. I'm sure I can do that stuff in max, but I'd probally have to go through 10 sub menus to do it. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

Well, 3Ds Max 2012 now has a completely different way how the UV maps are made (It is how you described, and even more advanced, plus you can rotate through all 3D views just by click 3 buttons, but you can easily make all the textures into only one XYZ plane, instead of spreading them all into 3 different ones). The 2011 and previous versions had it similar to ZM2's UV mapping.

And about your viewpoint concern, I'm 90% sure that there is a way to change that, some people still prefer to model the old-school way, so I think there should be a script/plugin for 3ds max out there.

But, oh wow, ZM1 for such high poly model? That is not for me, I sure can't handle that. But I might try to make something in it one day.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Burner @ Sunday, Jul 15 2012, 07:56)
That is a big block

With a small block exhaust port layout? Am I missing something, or am I being overly picky?

Burner
  • Burner

Big McLargehuge

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:34 PM Edited by Burner, 15 July 2012 - 11:40 PM.

"With a small block exhaust port layout? Am I missing something, or am I being overly picky? "

Lol, oh yeah, I forgot about doing that. I figured no one would notice wink.gif You are being overly picky wink.gif

"Now you know you need to throw a big block in your irlcar."

Big blocks make great race engines, but not good for daily drivers. I had one in a 70 Monte carlo, and I fixed it about as much as I drove it. PLus, my truck now with a small block does only like 10 miles to the gallon as it is wink.gif

I keep hearing that it is hard to make high poly models in zmod1. For me, it really doesn't take that much longer. Just a few more break/reorient clicks. And in max or zmod2 with it's automated features, 90% of the time, I have to go in and manually adjust what has been done by them anyway to get the effect I'm after, especially when chamfering. It's almost the same to do it manually from the start, then to select all the edges manually, click chamfer, then click all the edges again to adjust them. Max has got em beat hands down with meshsmooth. But that is if the model is set up correctly for it. You have to preplan certain areas to look good with meshsmooth later, or you get some goofy effects with it.

I'm like those old guys who still prefer carburators to fuel injection wink.gif I'll break down one day and move on to max. I'm curious to see what ZM3 looks like.

ElPaisa
  • ElPaisa

GFX Artist

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:33 AM Edited by ElMafias, 16 July 2012 - 03:31 AM.

Release it soon!! devil.gif i've been looking for a mod like this since 2 weeks now!!!
Its looking awesome!!!! I like it ALOT! icon14.gif icon14.gif cookie.gif
EDIT:Nevermind!

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

The Ed One

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'm also interested in this truck for GTA IV. Me and my Dad built a 1967 Pro-street Chevy pickup some years back. Its been sold, but it was also a short box, had a 502 big block in it. I have fond memories of that truck. It was also black with the polished Americans on it (though not in that large diameter.) Shaved the Chevrolet logo off of the tailgate and cut the roll pan around the 4inch exhaust that just barely came out past the body. Sweet truck. The body style of the 71 is obviously pretty similar. Really reminds me of it. Would love to run from the cops in it. biggrin.gif

Looks great Burner, always loved your vehicle mods!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users