Photo

Favorite Comedian/Favorite style of comedy

63 replies to this topic
EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Who are your favorite comedians and what's your favorite style of comedy? My favorite comedian used to be Dave Chapelle but he's not very active right now and has been replaced with Louis CK as my new favorite. I love the realness and sometimes darkness of Louis CK's comedy even though he has admitted that a lot of his personal stories are either completely fabricated or very exaggerated, his show is awesome too. Another favorite is Bill Burr, I guess I have a thing for ginger comedians but that dude is awesome and I recently discovered his weekly podcast which is great, he's actually a really wise dude.

Hannibal Buress is a newer guy who I think is pretty funny, he's a side kick on the Eric Andre show which I find to be absolutely f*cking hysterical. My favorite style of comedy is dark and absurd, I love absurdist sh*t like Tim and Eric, I think they're the kings of that genre.

Do you guys ever judge people based on their comedic tastes? I do, if you tell me Jeff Durnham, Carlos Mencia and Dane Cook are your favorites I will think less of you as a human being and assume you're probably a douche.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Chris Morris of Brass Eye fame. Just look at his work:

Grandal.
  • Grandal.

Insert witty title here

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Don't listen if you are offended by profanity.

uramet
  • uramet

Opportunist Theif

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:20 PM Edited by uramet, 13 July 2012 - 02:25 PM.

nevermind

EverBlazin
  • EverBlazin

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:42 PM Edited by EverBlazin, 13 July 2012 - 04:28 PM.

Stewart Lee. Very high brow comedy. For clever people.

You need to be british to understand this. Probably.

smaisey
  • smaisey

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

Love the Chris Morris/Brass Eye clips above, good work.

I've seen a fair few comedians live, my favourite being Jim Jefferies. Seen him twice, he's brilliant.

My favourite comedian of all time is Bill Hicks.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

Chris Morris is a damn genius. I don't think I've laughed as much as when I first saw Brass Eye. It was great seeing him in The I.T. Crowd, too.

One of my favourite stand-up comedians is be Jimmy Carr. The tongue-in-cheek humour is definitely my kind of thing. He's witty as hell when it comes to dealing with the hecklers, too. Here's a little taster:

I think a little nod to Derren Brown is in order, too. Although he's not a stand-up or a comedian by profession, he's one hell of a funny guy. I've seen him live a couple of times and his quick-witted replies to volunteers or sometimes even taking the piss out of himself never fail to get the crowd giggling like children in what is quite an adult environment.

Joe Wilkinson is another comedian who has a very unique edge. You can find him on either Him & Her or Live At The Electric, the latter being the best of his work.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:59 PM Edited by Nah Tso Gud, 13 July 2012 - 04:01 PM.

Mitch Hedberg will always be one of my favorites, his stuff was simple, light hearted.. almost child like humor at times, but he was clever enough to bring it all to life in such a fun way.

I was going to catch him at a nearby college in MN in April '05 but he passed away late March sad.gif

EDIT: ^ I loved Jimmy Carrs Comedy Central Presents special... great stuff.

Caparulo is good too, love his bit about cheese.. and the "take out the trash" argument that escalates quickly biggrin.gif

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:14 PM Edited by Robinski, 13 July 2012 - 04:16 PM.

Jimmy Carr's "Telling Jokes" standup special has a really great bit at the end. It's about the most offensive joke he's told, and says it's about the audience rather than the joke. As such he decides to "start slow and work the way up until the audience goes 'oh for f*ck's sake' ". I think it ends on something along the lines of: I try to see the good even in the bad. Take Pol Pot and Hitler, unquestionably, two of history's biggest c*nts. But still, both of them managed to conduct a whole lot of medical research without hurting any animals at all.

If you're not even a little offended by that I'm not sure you quite understood it.

PS I can guarantee there'll be a derail about what's off limits in comedy within three pages. Most likely about rape jokes.
And I will inevitably get involved

SuperVeloce
  • SuperVeloce

Paramore <3

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Well, I like Frankie Boyle, the 'dark' style of comedy is just hilarious. And his laugh is epic. Shame you don't see much of him anymore. Oh, I also like Lee Evans, on a less controversial note, because he's just pure hilarious.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

My favourite comedians would have to be Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole. They're the anchors on TSN's Sportscentre. So much better than the ESPN Sportscentre.

CheesyJ
  • CheesyJ

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Michael McIntyre is one of my favourites. I find him hilarious. I really like the fact that he can be funny without being overly offensive at the same time. Very few comedians can do that and do it well. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a bit of dark humour, but most people can do that. Most inoffensive comedians are just often annoying and I can't stand a lot of them. Not McIntyre though.

Kevin Bridges is another one of my favourites. I love his Scottish accent, considering I'm Scottish, and so much of what he says is not only hilarious but it's so true as well.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Lee Evans and Omid Djalili are my favourite comedians.

And in the spirit of the London 2012 Olympic Games:

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Bill Bailey is my favorite comedian

Greenline
  • Greenline

Page 3 Girl

• Members
  • Iran

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Real comedy: bloopers, Quotable Notables, mistakes etc.

Fabricated sh*t is unfunny.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (GtA01 @ Friday, Jul 13 2012, 16:16)
Well, I like Frankie Boyle, the 'dark' style of comedy is just hilarious. And his laugh is epic. Shame you don't see much of him anymore. Oh, I also like Lee Evans, on a less controversial note, because he's just pure hilarious.

same here, all this same with me.

and milton jones as he is just f*cking mental. you sometime have to just digest what he has said for a second before laughing

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

turnt up

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:20 PM Edited by gta3kuruma, 13 July 2012 - 05:24 PM.

QUOTE (smaisey @ Friday, Jul 13 2012, 15:50)
I've seen a fair few comedians live, my favourite being Jim Jefferies. Seen him twice, he's brilliant.

Jim Jeffries' "I'm a scumbag, I don't give a f*ck" style is f*cking hilarious, he has a show coming out on fx (hopefully it comes on in the uk) which should be good.

I also love anything from Louis CK, I like his dark and honest style, I never forget his "suck a bag of dicks" bit. There really are loads of others I could list. The only British comedians I really find appealing anymore are Ricky Gervais and Steve Coogan, especially now that Coogan seems to be bringing back Alan Partridge with the film and various shows on sky.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

My favorite has to be Nick Swardson.
People call me immature, but I f*cking love raunchy humor.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Nobody has said Russel Peters yet.

Sometimes this forum makes me smile.

@topic: a lot of what I like has been said, Jim Jeffries, Bill Bailey, Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedberg, George Carlin, Frankie Boyle, Dara O'Briain, Eddie Murphy, Louis CK, Dylan Moran, David O'Doherty, and a bunch of others that slip my mind.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Jay @ Friday, Jul 13 2012, 21:13)
George Carlin, Eddie Murphy, Louis CK

That and Jimmy Carr, Robin Williams (seen some of his stuff recently) and a lot of Ricky Gervais. I also like performances of Michael Winslow, while not exactly comedy, but still funny.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

ricky gervais, stuart lee and bill bailey are probably the best in britain . as for jimmy carr, I always found him one dimensional and boring

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Friday, Jul 13 2012, 14:31)
Chris Morris of Brass Eye fame. Just look at his work:

I'm with you on this one, Typhus. Morris and Armando Iannucci are my faves.

Magnum Sandwich
  • Magnum Sandwich

I sold it, for 10 bananas!

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:28 AM Edited by Magnum Sandwich, 15 July 2012 - 05:32 AM.

Awhh good ol' Dane Cook.

Edit:
if you tell me Jeff Durnham, Carlos Mencia and Dane Cook are your favorites I will think less of you as a human being and assume you're probably a douche.

I don't like ventriloquist. I don't even think Carlos is a comedian. I like Dance Cook cause he tells the truth, he's actually a cool guy. I like to see various comedians. Infact I watched most videos on here of everyone elses favorites. They have a good sense of humor.

Infact I also like a comedian called Bo Burnham.

Linc.
  • Linc.

16 5 5

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

The umblical brothers are awesome...

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Magnum Sandwich @ Sunday, Jul 15 2012, 07:28)
Awhh good ol' Dane Cook.

He's not even funny. He's a douchebag. Half of his material is stolen from other, better comedians. He doesn't even know how to tell a joke. He's a comedian for hillbillies.

Magnum Sandwich
  • Magnum Sandwich

I sold it, for 10 bananas!

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Sunday, Jul 15 2012, 07:12)
QUOTE (Magnum Sandwich @ Sunday, Jul 15 2012, 07:28)
Awhh good ol' Dane Cook.

He's not even funny. He's a douchebag. Half of his material is stolen from other, better comedians. He doesn't even know how to tell a joke. He's a comedian for hillbillies.

I'd rather not argue on this topic. This topic is for people sharing what comedians they like. If you would like to have a debate with me about it. PM me.

ZoomZoom
  • ZoomZoom

Banned on request

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

My favourite comedians are Charlie Chaplin lol.gif and Rowan Atkinson. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

DevAKAGhost
  • DevAKAGhost

Forrest Gump, You Run My Mind Boy.

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Katt Williams, Dave Chapelle, and Kevin Hart.

I find white comedians unrelate able.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:46 AM Edited by Warlord., 15 July 2012 - 09:05 AM.

To be honest, there are very few white comedians I like. Like the above poster said, its so... uh 'alien' to me and unrelatable.

So my favourite comedians would be Reginald D. Hunter, Chris Tucker, the majority of the comedians from Def Comedy Jam, Godfrey. Bill Bailey is pretty awesome too.

Oh and I might as well throw this out here, Ricky Gervais is by far the least funniest 'comedian' I've ever seen. I was actually wondering why he's called a comedian every time I've seen him.

One other reason I don't like most white comedians is that their stuff has that 'artificial' feel about it. I mean, when I watch a black comedian its usually really natural, its like I'm with a very funny friend who's sharing something that actually happened to him, but when I watch (most) white comedians I don't get that feeling, it seems really forced and... 'try hard', it doesn't have that flow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users