Photo

Locked Topics

24 replies to this topic
MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Long story short: I make a topic in the GTA V forum attempting to address security threats involving "GTA V Beta" download scams that often result in the malware infections that I mentioned in this thread. The reason why I am posting this is because I am concerned about people not being able to see my notice which serves as a reminder for people that clicking links to those "GTA V Beta" websites often result in malware infections or "surveys" that ask for Email addresses.

Forgive me for saying this, but some people on the Forums are gullible enough to click those links, and God only knows what happens next.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

We normally delete the topics that advertise a GTA V beta. In the case of that one this morning, it sat there for a while before anyone was online to deal with it. Regardless of how long such a topic is viewable to the public, I'd like to think that people here would have enough common sense to know that signing up at one of those sites is just asking for a virus or to be hacked, but if they don't, well, that's not really our problem.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

• Members

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

My problem is that it was a topic that warned of the dangers of visiting such sites. If anything, it the opposite of an advertisement for a GTA V beta. It was locked without explanation and I fear for the safety of the Forum members if the topic is not viewable on the first page of the GTA V forum. I am not seeking attention, Im seeking to inform and educate the gullible.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

They said I could be anything, so I became a custom member title

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

...some people on the Forums are gullible enough to click those links,

And they always will be...

If they're gullible enough to click a "GTAV beta" link, they're probably gullible enough to click on "FREE $500 GIFT CARD!" and "SURVEY=TACO BELL 4 LIFE!".

It's just a matter of time before they click, then they will see the error of their ways.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

• Members

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (*MURDOC* @ Sunday, Jul 8 2012, 16:02)
...some people on the Forums are gullible enough to click those links,

And they always will be...

If they're gullible enough to click a "GTAV beta" link, they're probably gullible enough to click on "FREE $500 GIFT CARD!" and "SURVEY=TACO BELL 4 LIFE!".

It's just a matter of time before they click, then they will see the error of their ways.

And that's why a topic of sorts along the lines of the thread that I posted needs to be pinned to the front page of the GTA V forum and the announcements thread. I know I don't make the rules and even the forum leaders have limited powers, but I feel that we really need to err on the side of caution when it comes to things like this that people constantly fall for. Malware attacks are very unpleasent and sometimes very suspenseful things and we all need to do our part to minimize them.

The best weapon besides spam filters is common sense, and common sense is the gift that we shall spread.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

It wasn't me who locked it, but I would have done the same. As I said in my previous post, I'd like to think that most people would have enough common sense to know that signing up for what is supposedly a GTA V beta is a bad idea. I don't want to see someone get a virus or get hacked, but the reality is that if someone does sign up and it happens to them, it's really not our problem. We do as much as we can to prevent it happening by removing the topics as soon as we can and banning those who post them.

Everything one does on the internet comes with an associated risk which most people should know, so a dedicated topic warning people of the possible consequences of signing up isn't really necessary.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

• Members

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Sunday, Jul 8 2012, 16:08)
It wasn't me who locked it, but I would have done the same. As I said in my previous post, I'd like to think that most people would have enough common sense to know that signing up for what is supposedly a GTA V beta is a bad idea. I don't want to see someone get a virus or get hacked, but the reality is that if someone does sign up and it happens to them, it's really not our problem. We do as much as we can to prevent it happening by removing the topics as soon as we can and banning those who post them.

Everything one does on the internet comes with an associated risk which most people should know, so a dedicated topic warning people of the possible consequences of signing up isn't really necessary.

By "signing up", you mean giving sensitive information to fly by night websites, right?

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

• Members

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:07 PM Edited by MIKON8ERISBACK, 08 July 2012 - 11:39 PM.

Everything one does on the internet comes with an associated risk which most people should know, so a dedicated topic warning people of the possible consequences of signing up isn't really necessary. [/QUOTE]
You do have a point, however people can be very stupid and sometimes going the extra distance is neccessary. Ultimately it is the choice of you and the other forum leaders.

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

i dont think they will pin it but you could run a thread in the V section that is up to date and warns about bad theads and bad sites smile.gif it would probably be more useful than the crap rumbling in the boweles of the V section right now icon14.gif

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

They said I could be anything, so I became a custom member title

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE (MIKON8ERISBACK @ Sunday, Jul 8 2012, 11:08)
The best weapon besides spam filters is common sense, and common sense is the gift that we shall spread.

Contrary to what you may think, common sense can't be handed out.

Honestly, it's not a problem the forum itself needs to deal with, it's up to the member.

We can't hold everyone's hand all the time, if they don't know not to click, then they'll learn.

Mr. Reaper.
  • Mr. Reaper.

THR-MC ✠ PREZ

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

For the most part people just need to use common sense.

If you suddenly come across something spectacular regarding a GTA V Beta and it's not on Rockstar's Official Website, it's bullsh*t.

People need to use some common sense, example.

Free iPad 2, just give us your Bank Account and Password.

Key errors:

1. People don't give away high value items in pop-ups or adverts.
2. Why would they need Bank Details for a Free Product.

Common sense people, something that no longer is common.

A J
  • A J

Damned

• BUSTED!
  • Wales

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

Don't worry about your topic getting locked !

Pretty obvious mods don't always need an explanation on here and other sites...if they lose patience with a suggestion, it get's locked, if they see the chance to stamp their authority they take it, sometimes they are needed in spammy places like the V section or the Gang section, but when a lock isn't needed, they'll still do it, just laugh at them and realise the internet is the only place such people can display their self-righteousness and ego, because in real life chances are most mods are sad little boys who got picked on for not fitting in, in the real world.

lol.gif

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Jul 10 2012, 14:08)

Pretty obvious mods don't always need an explanation on here and other sites...if they lose patience with a suggestion, it get's locked, if they see the chance to stamp their authority they take it, sometimes they are needed in spammy places like the V section or the Gang section, but when a lock isn't needed,  they'll still do it, just laugh at them and realise the internet is the only place such people can display their self-righteousness and ego, because in real life chances are most mods are sad little boys who got picked on for not fitting in, in the real world.

lol.gif

somehow aj i think you are right

QUOTE (anuj @ Jul 10 2012, 04:16)
I've run out of patience. I'm sorry, none of you get any medals. If you want to compete, do it for the sake of competing and not pixelated gold circles and crosses.

yes anuj we do it for the sake of competing but it would maybe make the events section more active and more people who are lazy might be more active in there.

sorry it seems i derailed this but you locked the other topic so you took away the place i could say this.

coldmurda
  • coldmurda

̡̱͐̈́͋ͦͮ̎͊̒R

• Members

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:21 PM Edited by The Grove, 10 July 2012 - 03:25 PM.

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Tuesday, Jul 10 2012, 09:08)

Pretty obvious mods don't always need an explanation on here and other sites...if they lose patience with a suggestion, it get's locked, if they see the chance to stamp their authority they take it, sometimes they are needed in spammy places like the V section or the Gang section, but when a lock isn't needed,  they'll still do it, just laugh at them and realise the internet is the only place such people can display their self-righteousness and ego, because in real life chances are most mods are sad little boys who got picked on for not fitting in, in the real world.

lol.gif

They didn't like the idea. You just gotta live with that sometimes.. Ya know? Take the L
Don't get angry at one guy for not thinking something was a good enough idea.

@nic: really? who are you to even say that.

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

say what grove? that we do the events for the sake of competing and that aj's idea would have helped. i mean aj is right mate the mods tend to throw there weight around given the chance.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

I don't know what has gotten into everyone lately with bitching about how and what staff should and shouldn't be doing. In case you've all forgotten, this place ain't no democracy.

QUOTE (GTAF Rules and Policy)
Remember, you are a guest on a free service. You have no rights and may make no demands.

A J
  • A J

Damned

• BUSTED!
  • Wales

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (The Grove @ Tuesday, Jul 10 2012, 15:21)

They didn't like the idea. You just gotta live with that sometimes.. Ya know? Take the L
Don't get angry at one guy for not thinking something was a good enough idea.

@nic: really? who are you to even say that.

Not angry in the slightest, I found it funny to be honest and everyone has the right to a difference in opinion. smile.gif Even if one guy doesn't appreciate my genuine thoughts, ideas and suggestions on how this site could be better or improved, it means nothing to me. As I'm sure you know Grove, much better than myself infact, many other dedicated sites exist were you can compete in "hosted" tournaments and amongst other things, and the way it currently works here, isn't broken exactly, but could be so much better.

-Sorry to go off-topic here, wasn't in the mood for creating another topic -

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

boo hoo i won't give out medals for peoples gta competitions i must take out my anger about my tiny pee pee on other people and lock topics at random

I even offered to give out a medal if the tournament was properly organized and cleared the proper channels, but giving you guys an inch means you'LL try and grab the mile. As such, offer revoked.

Also seriously lollin over here because you guys are basically implying we throw our weight around given the chance, but that's only okay when we throw our weight around to give you medals to validate competitions you compete in.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

No, seriously we've already done the passive aggressive "mods have no life and are picked on" bit. Any other original thoughts you guys want to throw at us? Are you guys seriously so convinced about your brilliant ideas that anyone who opposes them must be some socially maladjusted man child?

Lol

Edit - I'll even extend this: show me a proper format tournament where any given member can win, and I'll give a medal.

coldmurda
  • coldmurda

̡̱͐̈́͋ͦͮ̎͊̒R

• Members

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:48 AM Edited by The Grove, 15 July 2012 - 05:54 AM.

QUOTE (anuj @ Tuesday, Jul 10 2012, 18:52)
Edit - I'll even extend this: show me a proper format tournament where any given member can win, and I'll give a medal.

Are you asking for a suggestion, or to show you an existing one right now and prove it is worthy of being official.
For starters, I don't really think the goal is meant to get the image of a medal on your profile, rather a method to heighten peoples interest and add more of a high-stakes competitive twist.

If your looking for an idea on how this could possibly work I would like to give it a shot.
As I said in the last topic, having several medals given out for the following sections would seem appropriate on an annual basis:
Section:Console:
GTA IV (Regular) PS3/360/PC
TLaD PS3/360/PC
BoGT PS3/360/PC
SA:MP PS3/360/PC
(each section is bold+italic, each game to be played is next to it)

This could only really work if 3 medals were given for each section on the grounds that you simply can't have someone on one console win a medal over someone on another console. 12 medals would be annually won in total for the 4 sections.
One popular game mode such as Deathmatch could be played in each section to keep things simple. Winner of the ladder system gets the award.
Demo idea: http://i.imgur.com/v8H5u.png

To sum up what I am trying to say.. All this really would be is a chance to have one huge competitive event on GTA Mutliplayer where your have some sort of recognition on the forum for coming in first.
It's a simple idea, almost imitating AndyGantek's popular events, this meant to be on a much larger scale fit for anyone.. and of course official

Thats just my thought of something quick and easy to put together, not to many complications so things don't need to get confusing and will keep it fun at the same time. Of course this isn't exactly what aj had in mind, I'm just throwing my thoughts on the table.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

I don't want to muddy up this topic with things unrelated to my microscopic bullied wiener. I've sent you a PM with a couple of questions. Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

A J
  • A J

Damned

• BUSTED!
  • Wales

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Medals / Pixelated golden circles are not what my first suggestion was limited to, yet it seems to have been given the focus.

Original suggestion was for another part of the profile to be added like, "member's picture" where you can add your own images....but call it "Trophy Cabinet" or something...but that's 5% of the overall thing here.

The Grove, get's exactly what I mean, and has suggested some good things, in fact I think it's a little too much, and would be happy with just three forms of an event receiving official recognition. (Gang & Individual TDM / DM + Race League)

I'd suggest discussing this more with Docrikowski and Andyganteks, as they have both worked hardest to bring events to the event section, and would probably be more than happy to provide their thoughts too.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

dat was mad tekkers bruh

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (The Grove @ Wednesday, Jul 11 2012, 03:48)
QUOTE (anuj @ Tuesday, Jul 10 2012, 18:52)

Are you asking for a suggestion, or to show you an existing one right now and prove it is worthy of being official.
For starters, I don't really think the goal is meant to get the image of a medal on your profile, rather a method to heighten peoples interest and add more of a high-stakes competitive twist.

If your looking for an idea on how this could possibly work I would like to give it a shot.
As I said in the last topic, having several medals given out for the following sections would seem appropriate on an annual basis:
Section:Console:
GTA IV (Regular) PS3/360/PC
TLaD PS3/360/PC
BoGT PS3/360/PC
SA:MP PS3/360/PC
(each section is bold+italic, each game to be played is next to it)

This could only really work if 3 medals were given for each section on the grounds that you simply can't have someone on one console win a medal over someone on another console. 12 medals would be annually won in total for the 4 sections.
One popular game mode such as Deathmatch could be played in each section to keep things simple. Winner of the ladder system gets the award.
Demo idea: http://i.imgur.com/v8H5u.png

To sum up what I am trying to say.. All this really would be is a chance to have one huge competitive event on GTA Mutliplayer where your have some sort of recognition on the forum for coming in first.
It's a simple idea, almost imitating AndyGantek's popular events, this meant to be on a much larger scale fit for anyone.. and of course official

Thats just my thought of something quick and easy to put together, not to many complications so things don't need to get confusing and will keep it fun at the same time. Of course this isn't exactly what aj had in mind, I'm just throwing my thoughts on the table.

The idea is nice, but as far as I know, SA-MP isn't on PS3/360.

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

andy already run an event like that for ps3, i dont know how it went but im thinking about picking 16 people out of our gang to do this

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Wednesday, Jul 11 2012, 04:19)
I don't want to muddy up this topic with things unrelated to my microscopic bullied wiener. I've sent you a PM with a couple of questions. Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

I cant find anything in my personal messages inbox from you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users