Photo

NBA Basketball

1,295 replies to this topic
Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thought you cats might be interested in checking this out. IMO, Bill Walton should be at #1. If not for injuries, he'd be one of the top 10 greatest NBA players of all time. When healthy, he played the center position as well as anyone. Sadly, he only had 1 1/2 years of truly great play, but he was amazing in 1977. Scary thing is, that Portland team was better the year AFTER they won the title, but injuries killed them in the playoffs.

He's in the HOF more on his college career - easily one of the greatest top five of all time.

http://dimemag.com/2...ined-by-injury/

walkingsickness
  • walkingsickness

Mr. "Blow Your Head Off"

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Funktipus @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 14:06)
Thought you cats might be interested in checking this out. IMO, Bill Walton should be at #1. If not for injuries, he'd be one of the top 10 greatest NBA players of all time. When healthy, he played the center position as well as anyone. Sadly, he only had 1 1/2 years of truly great play, but he was amazing in 1977. Scary thing is, that Portland team was better the year AFTER they won the title, but injuries killed them in the playoffs.

He's in the HOF more on his college career - easily one of the greatest top five of all time.

Yeah Bill is I believe one of the greats but I struggle putting him in my top all 5.

I mean, even if healthy and played more than 15 years, would he be better than Walt
or Kareem? Better than Oscar? Better than Bird? Better than Jordan or Magic? Then you
look at some of the best and dominate centers to play. I named 2 already and then Shaq.
I can make case for Hakeem but that would be 50/50.

I would have him in my top 15 all time for sure, if he was healthy.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Playa

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (walkingsickness @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 01:35)
QUOTE (Funktipus @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 14:06)

Yeah Bill is I believe one of the greats but I struggle putting him in my top all 5.

I mean, even if healthy and played more than 15 years, would he be better than Walt
or Kareem? Better than Oscar? Better than Bird? Better than Jordan or Magic? Then you
look at some of the best and dominate centers to play. I named 2 already and then Shaq.
I can make case for Hakeem but that would be 50/50.

I would have him in my top 15 all time for sure, if he was healthy.

I meant top 5 as far as greatest college players.

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:05 AM

OKC is gonna fail this year sad.gif

On the other hand, I'm excited as f*ck to see how well the Rockets perform. I don't see them doing better than OKC, but they're easily my second favorite team.

fuck sivispacem
  • fuck sivispacem

I love Sivispacem

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE (Fedor @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 17:05)
OKC is gonna fail this year sad.gif

On the other hand, I'm excited as f*ck to see how well the Rockets perform. I don't see them doing better than OKC, but they're easily my second favorite team.

Rockets will do about the same they did last season, Dwight Howard won't make much of a difference, in the West I think Grizzlies will finally make the Finals, Clippers ain't going no where unless Blake plays like a true PF and stops dunking, Warriors.. I wouldn't put my money on them Seth can be streaky throughout seasons. The Eastern conference will be the most exciting this season. Rose is coming back, Nets got a great roster, Lebron is still a beast, and Pistons have added some franchise names. Scratch that the 2013-2014 season will be exciting all together.

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

I bet the Rockets will do better than the Nets. Mark my words.

I also think the only way the Griz make it to the finals is if Westbrook gets injured again.

fuck sivispacem
  • fuck sivispacem

I love Sivispacem

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Fedor @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 11:57)
I bet the Rockets will do better than the Nets. Mark my words.

I also think the only way the Griz make it to the finals is if Westbrook gets injured again.

Rockets barely made playoffs last season, with Dwight Howard they still aren't contenders for the west. What they need is a good PG, harden can't do everything on the court. If Grizzlies aren't going then the Warriors or Spurs will go OKC keeps losing good players it's only a matter of time before they lose KD. Westbrook isn't their franchise player its Kevin Durant he's been there since the Sonic Days. The nets have a good PG (Deron Williams) clutch SG (Joe Johnson) clutch SF (Paul Pierce) great PF (Kevin Garnet) and decent C (Brook Lopez) and Jason Terry as a back up, The Clippers would do better than Rockets, if Nets do worse than Rockets then the NBA must be like WWE.. scripted lol

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:55 AM

Just because D12 didn't make much of an impact on the Los Angeles Kobe Bryants doesn't mean he won't make any impact on the Rockets tounge.gif

Also, I'm well aware Westbrook isn't OKC's franchise player, but OKC being injured is the only reason the Griz made it past OKC in the playoffs. Everyone knows it.

Watch... the Nets will be like the Lakers this past season. So much hype, but they won't execute. I want them to do great and destroy the Heat as much as the next guy, but it won't happen.

fuck sivispacem
  • fuck sivispacem

I love Sivispacem

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (Fedor @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 17:55)
Also, I'm well aware Westbrook isn't OKC's franchise player, but OKC being injured is the only reason the Griz made it past OKC in the playoffs. Everyone knows it.

There's a reason why they couldn't beat the heat and it wasn't because of injuries

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

OKC doesn't have to beat the Heat to make it to the finals. To win a ring, obviously, but that's not what we were talking about.

We were talking about why the Grizzlies won't make it to the finals wink.gif

I don't see the Heat threepeating anyways. I don't even see them making the finals this year. I could see Indiana beating them this year, and if not maybe the Bulls with Rose or the Nets if everything works perfectly for them, which I already stated that I highly doubt it will. In the end, if the Heat win again, LeBron certainly deserves a lot more respect than he's getting now.

fuck sivispacem
  • fuck sivispacem

I love Sivispacem

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:33 PM Edited by GroveVendetta, 30 August 2013 - 01:43 PM.

QUOTE (Fedor)
but OKC being injured is the only reason the Griz made it past OKC in the playoffs. Everyone knows it.

Grizzlies beat OKC 4-1 because they are better not because of injuries
QUOTE (Fedor)
I could see Indiana beating them this year, and if not maybe the Bulls with Rose or the Nets

I don't understand Nets Will beat heat but you said
QUOTE (Fedor)
Watch... the Nets will be like the Lakers this past season. So much hype, but they won't execute. I want them to do great and destroy the Heat as much as the next guy, but it won't happen.

No one can beat the heat they are the best in the east even with D Rose back and this is coming from a bulls fan, they've added the big man that they needed now Bosh can slide back to the 4 lebron's at the 3 wade a 2 all they need is a overall good PG and they are set. Derrick Rose hasn't played for 1 full season although optimistic i hoping that he didn't get worse

same thing happened with the lakers in 2000 2001 2002 everyone said they wouldn't three peat but they had the best players in the league and no one was a contender

History repeats itself through the Miami Heat

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (GroveVendetta @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 08:33)
QUOTE (Fedor)
but OKC being injured is the only reason the Griz made it past OKC in the playoffs. Everyone knows it.

QUOTE (Fedor)
I could see Indiana beating them this year, and if not maybe the Bulls with Rose or the Nets

QUOTE (Fedor)

No one can beat the heat they are the best in the east even with D Rose back and this is coming from a bulls fan, they've added the big man that they needed now Bosh can slide back to the 4 lebron's at the 3 wade a 2 all they need is a overall good PG and they are set. Derrick Rose hasn't played for 1 full season although optimistic i hoping that he didn't get worse

same thing happened with the lakers in 2000 2001 2002 everyone said they wouldn't three peat but they had the best players in the league and no one was a contender

Pacers & Bulls are their main obstacle in the east. I don't think there's a team good enough in the west.
Even with Russell Westbrook back, OKC doesn't have the clutch play of Harden they had in the Finals against the Heat.
The Spurs never do back to back final appearances, and The Rockets are not strong enough at Forward.

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (GroveVendetta @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 09:33)
QUOTE (Fedor)

QUOTE (Fedor)

QUOTE (Fedor)

You seriously believe that Russell Westbrook being injured had nothing to do with the Grizzlies beating OKC in the playoffs last year? The fact that OKC won one game against them without Westbrook is a pretty good sign that if he were able to play the Grizzlies would've had a much tougher time beating OKC. Even without Westbrook every game of the series was pretty damn close. You must be trolling.

Also, it's funny how you quoted only part of what I actually said. I even added after I mentioned that maybe the Nets would beat the Heat that I believe it's very unlikely. Did you completely skip over that part, or are you still learning to read?

Oden won't be as big of a help as you seem to think he will be. I predict the Heat will fall before the finals.

fuck sivispacem
  • fuck sivispacem

I love Sivispacem

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Fedor @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 17:37)
[QUOTE=GroveVendetta,Friday, Aug 30 2013, 09:33]
You seriously believe that Russell Westbrook being injured had nothing to do with the Grizzlies beating OKC in the playoffs last year? The fact that OKC won one game against them without Westbrook is a pretty good sign that if he were able to play the Grizzlies would've had a much tougher time beating OKC. Even without Westbrook every game of the series was pretty damn close. You must be trolling.

Also, it's funny how you quoted only part of what I actually said. I even added after I mentioned that maybe the Nets would beat the Heat that I believe it's very unlikely. Did you completely skip over that part, or are you still learning to read?

Oden won't be as big of a help as you seem to think he will be. I predict the Heat will fall before the finals.

Grizzlies won 4-1

One player won't make much of a difference unless he's the only good player on that team

Didn't really pay attention to that second part, I caught it after i made that post

Only thing heat was missing is a center, Now that they have a center, Chris Bosh can play more comfortably at the 4

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

Saying that Russell Westbrook would've made no difference in that series is absurd. Westbrook is one of the very best point guards in all of basketball whether you love or hate the guy. He would've made a huge difference in the series. Your logic is incredibly flawed here, to the point where I question how much basketball you actually watch.

Also, like I said, you seem to think Oden is going to solve all of the Heat's problems.

I wonder if you'll still think that after Oden injures himself after his first game.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

I Run This Town

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

Westbrook's abscence was a disaster for OKC, and a heavenly gift for Memphis. Durant was so isolated and alone in that series. Gasol and Z-Bo murdered them in the low-post, Perkins had the worst PER peroformance of ANY player EVER in play-off history, and Martin was quiet all series long.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

OKC would've destroyed the Grizzlies with Westbrook.

Orange Juice
  • Orange Juice

Player Hater

• The Connection

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (Fedor @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 17:37) [QUOTE=GroveVendetta,Friday, Aug 30 2013, 09:33]

Grizzlies won 4-1

One player won't make much of a difference unless he's the only good player on that team

Didn't really pay attention to that second part, I caught it after i made that post

Only thing heat was missing is a center, Now that they have a center, Chris Bosh can play more comfortably at the 4

That's clearly not the only thing you didn't pay attention to...

Westbrook's a top 5 point guard, of course he's going to make a difference. He had a win share of 2.1 in the 2012 playoffs, and his play improved significantly in the 2012-13 regular season (more assists, more rebounds, better shot selection), so it's fairly logical to assume he'd have contributed even more in the 2013 playoffs had he not been injured. As Fedor said, each game between the Thunder and Grizz was decided by a very narrow margin, six or less points actually, so 4-1 was quite kind on Memphis.

And again, as Fedor said, you're putting way too much emphasis on Greg Oden. He hasn't played a competitive game of basketball in three years and, even back then, was still very much a work in progress. He'll probably not get too many minutes until he gets into the rhythm of the game again. I've got my fingers crossed for him. If he can remain healthy and contribute in limited minutes, the Heat will have gotten a bargain. Hopefully he can give them some size and strength to fight fire with fire come 2014 playoffs vs. the Pacers.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

For the record, I am Fedor. Long story short: I registered this account here back in '07 and this is the name everyone recognizes me by online, but I couldn't remember the password so I had to create the Fedor account. Afterwards I remembered the password, so that's why I'm using this account now, and you'll never see the Fedor account post again.

With that said, I'm glad to see some of the other members here actually know basketball.

In the first round of the playoffs OKC went up 3-0 against the Rockets with Westbrook. After Westbrook got injured in Game 3 they lost Game 4 and Game 5 against the Rockets before finishing the series in Game 6. That alone should let anyone with a brain know that there's a huge difference between OKC with Westbrook, and OKC without Westbrook.

I find it funny how everything worked out, too, because even a lot of OKC fans used to complain about Westbrook taking too many shots and not passing the ball to Durant enough. Those OKC fans finally got to see what a difference Westbrook really makes on the squad while he was injured.

Orange Juice
  • Orange Juice

Player Hater

• The Connection

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Also for the record, I'm http://gtaforums.com...2404-mark-2007/. Haven't been online in a few months and completely forgot my password.

I've missed out on what's been going on in this topic over the past couple months. Have we discussed the 2014 draft? It looks pretty stacked with talent: Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, Marcus Smart, Dante Exum, and a bunch more. Looks like a lot of teams are ready to put in a poor showing this coming season to up their chances of a high pick: the Sixers, the Suns, the Celtics, maybe the Jazz.

fuck sivispacem
  • fuck sivispacem

I love Sivispacem

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

OKC had wesbrook for 2 games to "destroy" the Grizzlies but just like the clippers they couldnt get it done

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

What are you talking about? Westbrook was out for the entire series against the Grizzlies, unless you're talking about the regular season.

Regular season =/= playoffs.

With that said, I still don't really see your point. You're trying to make it sound like the Grizzlies walked on OKC during the regular season when it was obvious that losing Rudy Gay was a big problem for them in this particular match up. They lost their first game against OKC without Rudy Gay by 17 points, and they only managed to win the next game by 1 point.

Westbrook being out for their playoff series surely hurt OKC's chances. There's no question about that, and nothing that you say will change that. You can't lose an elite guard like Westbrook without it hurting your team.

Orange Juice
  • Orange Juice

Player Hater

• The Connection

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Anyone read Bill Simmons' The Book of Basketball? I'm about halfway through, just began the first tier of his "Pyramid Hall of Fame". Aside from the occasional pop culture references that, being 20 years younger and on the opposite side of the Atlantic to Simmons, fly over my head a bit, it's an excellent and funny read and has been a big help in filling up my spotty knowledge of the first few decades of the NBA.

Favourite story so far: a past his prime and coked-up Spencer Haywood gets cut from the Lakers team midway through the 1980 Finals after passing out during warm-ups, supposedly due to being coked up off his tits. He then hires a hitman to kill then-Lakers head coach Paul Westhead before being talked out of it by his mother.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

There was absolutely no reason for Glen Grunwald to lose his job. The Knicks overachieved, won 54 games and a playoff round for the first time since 2001. But Donnie Walsh undid Isiah's stupid-a** contracts, got us out of salary-cap hell, and look what happened to him.

Now Brain-Dead Dolan brings back Mills, who knows absolutely zero about the NBA(draft night should be a load of laughs). Brilliant move Dolan. This franchise continues to be a laughingstock, one of the worst run in professional sports and Dolan is a s*** owner.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Knicks are winning nothing as long as Jim Dolan's in charge, NOTHING. We're never going to be like the Spurs because we stink from the top down. Harsh, but it's the truth. Bad owners kill franchises.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

The Knicks are winning nothing with that roster anyways  :colgate:

The Pacers have their number unfortunately.

Orange Juice
  • Orange Juice

Player Hater

• The Connection

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, the Pacers look like the real deal next year. They already pushed Miami in last year's playoffs and now with an even better bench: Danny Granger could become the 6th man of the year if him and the Pacers staff are happy for him to come off the bench, and CJ Watson and Luis Scola are great role-players to have. They recently tied Paul George up to a fairly hefty, but probably wise, five year contract.

The team I'm most excited about is the Warrior. With the addition of Iguodala and a lean-looking Bogut, they'll have two of the best defensive players in the league to go along with their great shooters. A starting five of Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Iguodala, David Lee and Bogut is pretty good, and then they'll have Harrison Barnes coming off of the bench along with decent young and veteran role-players like Jermaine O'Neal, Festus Ezeli, Draymond Green, Marreese Speights. Bearing in mind they're in the same division a the tanking Suns, the rebuilding Kings and the god-knows-what Lakers, they should pick up a few wins from the former two teams alone. Should be fun to watch them and the Clippers duke it out.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Oh sh*t, Derrick Rose is playing tonight :)

Orange Juice
  • Orange Juice

Player Hater

• The Connection

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:51 AM

Missed Rose's return but saw a few clips of him. Nothing special but he looks good to go for the season, can't wait to see how Chicago fare with him. I reckon they'll fight for the 1st seed along with the Heat and Pacers.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:29 PM Edited by W3BB13, 06 October 2013 - 01:25 PM.

Yeah, I f*cking missed it, too. Forgot all about it.

I did get to see OKC f*ck up some team from overseas for a bit, though.

Edit: Woot, I just caught some highlights of Rose, and holy f*ck... dude is back, and his vertical is higher than it's ever been.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:50 PM Edited by W3BB13, 18 October 2013 - 06:50 PM.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The Nets spanked the Heat, and LeBron and Wade started crying about it, bitching at KG and Pierce for being hypocrites about the Ray Allen thing.

Hilarious. Cry more, Miami. You're not making it to the finals this year  :) I'm going to love watching you lose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users