640 replies to this topic
Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Way to go, Pip.

As long as George Karl ends up in Boston the Celtics will be alright.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Knicks draft Tim Hardaway Jr. They must not think J.R. will resign.

Garnett, Pierce & Jason Terry to Brooklyn. Wonder how much those cats have left?

Stuntzman
  • Stuntzman

CAN YOU DIG IT!?

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Nerlens Noel traded to 76ers for Jrue Holiday. Seriously?

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Not enough to win a ring.

Celts didn't get sh*t out of that trade unfortunately.

gta_player5
  • gta_player5

Platinum Plus

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (Fedor @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 10:40)
Not enough to win a ring.

Celts didn't get sh*t out of that trade unfortunately.

They weren't looking to receive great players in return. They received three first round picks, Kris Humphries' and Kris Joseph's expiring contracts, Marshon Brooks, who has a team option in 2014-15, Keith Bogans and Gerald Wallace, who still has three years and $10 million per left on his deal. This was a salary dump. Plain and simple.

When you include the compensation from releasing Doc Rivers, the Celtics have two first round picks in the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018 drafts. They have NINE first round picks in the next five drafts. Their goal was to shed payroll and older players, and rebuild the team. While the Nets have a two year window until Garnett's contract ends, the Celtics will be rebuilding their team through the draft. Is Rajon Rondo going to be included in those plans? I guess we'll have to wait and see. They will be bad for a few years, at least, but their future beyond the 2014 season looks much brighter than the Nets', in my opinion.

Furthermore, if the Nets use their taxpayer mid-level exception (why wouldn't they?) their payroll and tax total will be $176 million in 2013-2014. Their $3 million mid-level exception is going to cost them $15 million next season when including tax. The Nets' 2013 payroll plus tax, if they use their mid-level exception, of $176 million would be good for third highest payroll in Major League Baseball.

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

In other words, the Celtics are sh*t for the next few seasons sad.gif

luongo01
  • luongo01

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

I think it was a good trade for the Celtics. They free up tons of cap space going into the future, and they could use some of those draft picks to get a good player like they did when trading for Garnett back in 2007.

And since they'll probably suck for next year, they have a real shot at landing the 1st overall pick and drafting Andrew Wiggins and building around him with those draft picks. Getting Wiggins would be huge and could get Boston back to being contenders in just a few short years.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:25 PM Edited by Funktipus, 04 July 2013 - 04:12 PM.

Just what the Knicks need - an oft-injured, soft 7-foot stiff who can't rebound or play defense. Didn't the Knicks learn anything from the Pacer series????????

http://www.nydailyne....icle-1.1386659

UPDATE:
Looks like J.R Smith will stay in NY. He's close to signing a new deal. I also heard the Knicks are looking at Elton Brand. How old is he?

Totally shocked at Brad Stevens leaving Butler to coach the Celtics. Wow.....

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

Man, I thought I'd be missing the NBA but all these trades, hirings, firings and whatnot has me excited.

Still don't quite see the logic of the Sixers trading away Jrue. From what I gather, the pick they got in return is top 3 protected, so - if I understand that right - it means they won't be in with a chance of drafting Wiggins with the Hornets' pick. I suppose they could get a decent lottery pick out of it, but the Pelicans (feels weird typing that!) have a decent line-up now of Jrue-Eric-Aminu-Davis-Lopez starting five with Ryan Andersen, General Grievis, and a hopefully-much improved Austin Rivers coming off the bench. Could have an outside shot of 8th seed if Gordon stays fit. That said, they've been linked to Tyreke Evans, so who knows how he'll fit in along with Gordon. The Sixers, like the Celtics and a few other teams, will be trying to tank for Wiggins (assuming he's not pipped to the 1st pick by Jabari Parker or someone else).

I do like the Celtics trade. Granted, they've completely annihilated their roster and staff, but it wasn't a competitive team anymore. 6th/7th, iirc, this season?

Can't wait for the 2014 draft already! 2013 may not have had much in the way of hyped players, but draft night itself was pretty fun with all the trades going on. I'm particularly interested in seeing the Bucks' pick, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Spurs' Livio Jean-Charles. Can't imagine they'll get great minutes but should be interesting to see just how much upside they have, although I dunno when either will make the move to the NBA.

And @ Funktipus: Elton Brand is 34 - if anything, he's a sprightly young kid compared to some of the Knicks' roster last year! Jokes aside, I'm not sure what they're looking into him for, they've got far more important spots to fill than bench spots. Also, the Bargnani trade was an odd one too. I've read a few comments from Toronto fans saying he might flourish with a brand new start. Who knows.

On top of all of that, there's the whole Dwight's Indecision. I've read various rumours that Houston are currently favourites to sign him.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

It's obvious Dwight's not exactly thrilled with D'Antoni's system. Houston would be a better fit.

Knicks also bring back Pablo Prigioni. Hopefully they can resign Copeland - the kid has potential. And they have to add size to the roster.

gta_player5
  • gta_player5

Platinum Plus

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (mark-2007 @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 20:23)
Man, I thought I'd be missing the NBA but all these trades, hirings, firings and whatnot has me excited.

Still don't quite see the logic of the Sixers trading away Jrue. From what I gather, the pick they got in return is top 3 protected, so - if I understand that right - it means they won't be in with a chance of drafting Wiggins with the Hornets' pick. I suppose they could get a decent lottery pick out of it, but the Pelicans (feels weird typing that!) have a decent line-up now of Jrue-Eric-Aminu-Davis-Lopez starting five with Ryan Andersen, General Grievis, and a hopefully-much improved Austin Rivers coming off the bench. Could have an outside shot of 8th seed if Gordon stays fit. That said, they've been linked to Tyreke Evans, so who knows how he'll fit in along with Gordon. The Sixers, like the Celtics and a few other teams, will be trying to tank for Wiggins (assuming he's not pipped to the 1st pick by Jabari Parker or someone else).

I do like the Celtics trade. Granted, they've completely annihilated their roster and staff, but it wasn't a competitive team anymore. 6th/7th, iirc, this season?

Can't wait for the 2014 draft already! 2013 may not have had much in the way of hyped players, but draft night itself was pretty fun with all the trades going on. I'm particularly interested in seeing the Bucks' pick, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Spurs' Livio Jean-Charles. Can't imagine they'll get great minutes but should be interesting to see just how much upside they have, although I dunno when either will make the move to the NBA.

And @ Funktipus: Elton Brand is 34 - if anything, he's a sprightly young kid compared to some of the Knicks' roster last year! Jokes aside, I'm not sure what they're looking into him for, they've got far more important spots to fill than bench spots. Also, the Bargnani trade was an odd one too. I've read a few comments from Toronto fans saying he might flourish with a brand new start. Who knows.

On top of all of that, there's the whole Dwight's Indecision. I've read various rumours that Houston are currently favourites to sign him.

The Sacramento Kings have verbally agreed to trade Tyreke Evans to the Pelicans in a three-team trade. Sacramento will get Greivis Vasquez and Portland Trailblazers will absorb the contract of Robin Lopez and send cash and future considerations. After the Pelicans acquired Jrue Holiday and now Evans, I'm assuming the Holiday is going to run point, Eric Gordon will run the two and Evans will play most often at small forward. They'll have an interesting starting lineup, no doubt, and it could turn out to be a good one in a couple years, but I still don't see them going anywhere, especially in the always competitive western conference.

As for the Knicks... Bringing back Pablo Prigioni was definitely key. The Knicks only have one point guard on the roster without him and while he has only played in the NBA one year, he has played internationally and for the Argentine national team for year, his experience is unmatched by any point guard on the market. His stat lines aren't great, but he's a pest on defense, with his full court pressue and evident by his 1.3 steals per game in the playoffs, and Carmelo Anthony plays better with Prigioni on the floor.

In regards to Chris Copeland, I won't lose any sleep over it. I thought the Knicks should make him a qualifying offer, which is just a hair under $1 million per, and if he chooses a more lucrative offer from another team, let him walk. He has height, can shoot and he hustles, but I don't see him being as big a piece of the Knicks' future as some teams. I'm not particularly happy with the team he is going to sign with, but whatever.

As for Elton Brand, I would like to see the Knicks bring back Kenyon Martin instead. K-Mart doesn't have the offensive game that Brand has, but he brings it on defense and he fouls. Hard. I love the way K-Mart plays (another article from Chris Herring). He played great for the Knicks down the stretch in 2013 and, I think, definitely was a big piece in that 13-game winning streak. Plus, he'll be cheaper than Brand.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Hustler

• Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:12 AM Edited by Funktipus, 06 July 2013 - 03:20 AM.

^Co-sign on your last paragraph gta, but the Knicks still need more size up front.

UPDATE: Just heard Copeland signed with the Pacers.

El Tropa
  • El Tropa

Love me? Hate me? Youll never break me.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:22 AM

Even with all things the Celtics do i still dont see them as a terrible team. Figure.. Rondo will be coming back next year along with Avery Bradly and Jared Sullinger. Lets see how those 3 work together and develop. Rondo can get anyone open, Lets see if they can score off it

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:27 AM

Dwight Howard is an idiot.

this is why you can't win a championship.
you're an indecisive and egotistical showboating clown.

make up your mind. stick to your guns.

/end rant

Mv6
  • Mv6

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

Dwight backed away from the challenge. Bitch move.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Hustler

• Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Mv6 @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 03:33)

I think it had more to do with the coach. Dwight's not a good fit in D'Antoni's system.

Mv6
  • Mv6

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE (Funktipus @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 12:33)

I think it had more to do with the coach. Dwight's not a good fit in D'Antoni's system.

I think that was one of many things, bad season, criticism.

It all came down to Jim/Antoni. No way Howard signs elsewhere if Dr.Buss was still alive.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (Mv6 @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 03:03)
QUOTE (Funktipus @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 12:33)

I think that was one of many things, bad season, criticism.

It all came down to Jim/Antoni. No way Howard signs elsewhere if Dr.Buss was still alive.

D'Antoni is a joke - couldn't coach defense or big men if his life depended on it. And he's too stubborn to adjust his system to the talent at his disposal. Worst move the Lakers ever made.

As for Dwight, he has no more excuses. Listen to McHale, grow the f*** up, and start playing to your potential, the potential you showed in 2009.

gta_player5
  • gta_player5

Platinum Plus

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Funktipus @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 02:56)
As for Dwight, he has no more excuses. Listen to McHale, grow the f*** up, and start playing to your potential, the potential you showed in 2009.

Personally, I think he hit his ceiling in 2009. While he's only 27, I don't think he will return to the level he was at when he brought the Orlando Magic to the NBA Finals. He led the league in rebounds and blocks per game and in shooting percentage. Since then, he's had the back injuries and this ongoing "Dwightmare." Yeah, he led the league in rebounds in 2012-13, but his points per game and rebounds per game were at their lowest since 2005-06 and 2006-07 respectively. Who knows, though, maybe Kevin McHale and Hakeem Olajuwon can finally give him some post moves.

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (gta_player5 @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 16:43)
QUOTE (Funktipus @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 02:56)

Personally, I think he hit his ceiling in 2009. While he's only 27, I don't think he will return to the level he was at when he brought the Orlando Magic to the NBA Finals. He led the league in rebounds and blocks per game and in shooting percentage. Since then, he's had the back injuries and this ongoing "Dwightmare." Yeah, he led the league in rebounds in 2012-13, but his points per game and rebounds per game were at their lowest since 2005-06 and 2006-07 respectively. Who knows, though, maybe Kevin McHale and Hakeem Olajuwon can finally give him some post moves.

I hope you're wrong, but time will tell. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new Rockets in action either way.

I also hope that OKC picks up someone after getting rid of K-Mart.

Conal123
  • Conal123

The Irish Brigade

• Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

EDIT:Posted in wrong topic.

Apologies.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:20 PM Edited by Funktipus, 15 July 2013 - 07:25 PM.

Knicks sign Ron Artest;

http://nbanewssource...ew-york-knicks/

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:16 PM Edited by Fedor, 16 July 2013 - 12:39 AM.

Yeah, I can't say I've ever been much of a MWP fan.

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

I guess the Knicks don't plan on ever getting younger.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (Cyfa @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 10:00)
I guess the Knicks don't plan on ever getting younger.

Truer words were never spoken.

And in other wonderful Knick news;

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1399487

If they sign that clown Nate Robinson, I will have a fit!

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, they still don't have what they would need to beat the Pacers let alone win a ring or the eastern conference title.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Hustler

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Fedor @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 00:03)
Yeah, they still don't have what they would need to beat the Pacers let alone win a ring or the eastern conference title.

Pacers have something the Knicks and Heat don't - length and size in their front court. Heat are the defending champs, but with Wade breaking down, who knows if they'll be as good next season? To me, Indiana (with a healthy Granger) will be top dawg in the East.

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

I hope you're right. As much as I respect him, I'm so tired of hearing about LeBron James.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:54 PM Edited by Funktipus, 04 August 2013 - 04:47 PM.

QUOTE (Fedor @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 20:57)
I hope you're right. As much as I respect him, I'm so tired of hearing about LeBron James.

Don't forget about Chicago - with a healthy Rose, they'll be right up there too.

UPDATE - Pacers sign Luis Scola, a nice addition to their bench.

Greg Oden signs a two year deal with Miami.

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, the east is beast right now. I'm hyped to see how the eastern conference plays out next season.

I'm disappointed with OKC. We lost K-Mart (which I don't really care because I never liked him much in the first place), but we haven't picked up anybody to replace him. I can't even begin to understand why they bothered to sign Ryan Gomes. I truly believe this will be the first season since moving to OKC that they won't actually improve.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users