» «
Photo

How should garages work

23 replies to this topic
Turbojohn
  • Turbojohn

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:13 PM Edited by Turbojohn, 04 July 2012 - 01:30 AM.

This topic is to discuss a big feature of the game.

Garages.
Note that by garage I also mean parking spots
They started in GTA III (I think) and have made their way till GTA IV. There is no doubt there will be some sort of garages in GTA V.

But I propose a new system, something along the lines of Saints row and Driver.

A system where you bring your cars into a garage that stores all your cars, can keep their modifications, and everytime you leave a car behind, he will appear in the garage next time you go into it...

I prefer this system (I found it in Driver, not Saints Row) because it give a way bigger sense of ownership with the vehicle, with the classic garages, the car still seems pretty vulnerable, if you unintentionaly forget a unique vehicle in some place, it's gone forever. Also, in this way you didn't need to waste money modifying the same car because you had to leave it in a mission.

Here are the features proposed by some forum members (note: this is not how it will be, this is a summary of everyones opinion, so some may contradict)

1. This system maintains your cars independently if your left it behind or not.
2. Maintains the car if destroyed.
3. It takes cash everytime it repairs, or gets something that was left behind.
4. Needs to be bought, so you won't have it from the start.
5. May only work if the car is bought, not stolen.
6. A car that is on the garage will NOT respawn at the garage, however it will remain in it's place untill the player goes get it.
7. If you sell your car, it will be no longer on the garage.
8. It may have a limit on how many cars it can support.
9. It may cost money to keep the cars, this business strategy is not specified, as it could be a price for vehicle etc.
10. If the vehicle is destroyed, it won't go back to the garage. Or it will, but at an high cost (maybe)
11. This idea is ridiculous, a simple implementation that stops you from loosing your car in a mission is enough.

This has alot of advantages, but it may seem kinda of OP, in a way to balance it could waste money to repair broken cars...

I'd love to see everyone's opinions on this.

r0eladn
  • r0eladn

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

I hope there wont be any garage-glitches as in SA. I hated losing a car i searched for or driven a long time for.

I like your idea on a garage to keep all your cars and modifications, only i think this special garage should be unlockable throughout the campaign.
So the ages old GTA system where you start small but get more luxury the further you go in the missions.

Turbojohn
  • Turbojohn

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (r0eladn @ Tuesday, Jul 3 2012, 20:17)
I hope there wont be any garage-glitches as in SA. I hated losing a car i searched for or driven a long time for.

I like your idea on a garage to keep all your cars and modifications, only i think this special garage should be unlockable throughout the campaign.
So the ages old GTA system where you start small but get more luxury the further you go in the missions.

I never had that problem in SA, that DID happen to me some times in IV...

foohy
  • foohy

New username. Member since 11/30/'07.

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:50 PM Edited by foohy, 03 July 2012 - 08:53 PM.

Garages should make a return and be used on properties that have garages such as residential houses. Parking spaces should also return but -- and this is key --not be placed in traffic as they were in GTAIV. Literal parking spaces in parking lots, parking structures, driveways, alleyways, etc. should be the new method of car saving. In GTAIV I would constantly have the problem of putting my car in the spot and saving the game only to find out when I returned to that save that the game had decided to save the taxi driving by instead of the car I parked there.

edit: I'd also love to see a system where you could save a car for good. Even if you destroyed it, left it somewhere, or lost it on a mission you could respawn it at your garage. A default car so to speak. This way our protag could essentially have, in a sense, a personally owned car instead of just whatever he stole that day.

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

educated, dedicated, underestimated

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:58 PM Edited by mvega0422, 03 July 2012 - 09:01 PM.

QUOTE (Turbojohn @ Tuesday, Jul 3 2012, 20:13)
and everytime you leave a car behind, he will appear in the garage next time you go into it...
the car still seems pretty vulnerable, if you unintentionaly forget a unique vehicle in some place, it's gone forever.

So which one is it? Is this a super duper omniponent teleportation-enabled spacetime-warping garage, or is it just an omnipotent space-warping garage?

Really, this idea is ridiculous. The other games do that to keep kids from having to be responsible. They should keep the simple garages (let me buy bigger garages as the game goes on), and implement some sort of car alarm/'lock doors' feature to stop you from getting cheated out of your car by a cutscene, that's it.

Edit: I just don't want GTA to have a car-spawning feature, and that's exactly what these garages are. I want to get a cool car and be proud of it because its unique and valuable. I don't understand how you get a better sense of ownership if you can spawn the car at your safehouse whenever you want at no cost.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

If there are mods/upgrades for cars, I want Saints Row style garages. I'm ok with these being unlockable/purchasable. I'm ok with it costing money to save/repair vehicles. I'm ok with there being limited slots. But there needs to be a way to store a few cars permanently, so that you don't have to worry about taking one with you on the mission. Otherwise, there is just no point in upgrading/customizing cars at all.

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

I think that the way the garages should work is either:

1. Each house you buy has its own unique garage that has all of these features in it such as painting it, repairing it, cleaning, etc...

Or...

2. Each house that you buy are customizable, allowing you to customize and buy new features to your own garages, such as being able to: paint, repair, clean and customize your own car. wink.gif

GarrowsKai
  • GarrowsKai

I don't even like Dubstep

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

Should have a system where once you save a car in a particular garage/spot you can leave that car anywhere in the city (so long as it doesn't block traffic/peds or other vehicle spawn points) and it'll still be there. So you can take a saved rare car to a mission, park it up, do the mission, and when you come back the car will still be where you left it.

If you do leave it in a place that blocks CPU stuff (such as traffic etc as above) then perhaps it could be taken away to an impound yard where you have to 'liberate' it from, rather than it just disappearing or re-spawning back at your safe house. Maybe you get a text from LSPD telling you your car has been seized, and you could either pay a fine and drive right out or just break in and steal it back which would grant a couple of stars wanted level.

Basically it would be nice to be able to use a rare saved car without always thinking about having to take it back to a save house in order to keep it.

Edit: I like Revolution-XWs idea (above) about customisable safe houses. Not Sims level or anything but being able to kit out a proper mod garage or a gym if that sort of thing returns would be a nice feature and something to use the millions you inevitably make by the final 25% of the game lol.

Verdant Meadows Pedestrian
  • Verdant Meadows Pedestrian

Smokin ganja till the day is overô

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

I prefer this system (I found it in Driver, not Saints Row) because it give a way bigger sense of ownership with the vehicle

Having an unlimited supply of a vehicle increases the sense of ownership. sarcasm.gif

Turbojohn
  • Turbojohn

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (mvega0422 @ Tuesday, Jul 3 2012, 20:58)
and everytime you leave a car behind, he will appear in the garage next time you go into it...
the car still seems pretty vulnerable, if you unintentionaly forget a unique vehicle in some place, it's gone forever.

So which one is it? Is this a super duper omniponent teleportation-enabled spacetime-warping garage, or is it just an omnipotent space-warping garage?

Really, this idea is ridiculous. The other games do that to keep kids from having to be responsible. They should keep the simple garages (let me buy bigger garages as the game goes on), and implement some sort of car alarm/'lock doors' feature to stop you from getting cheated out of your car by a cutscene, that's it.

Edit: I just don't want GTA to have a car-spawning feature, and that's exactly what these garages are. I want to get a cool car and be proud of it because its unique and valuable. I don't understand how you get a better sense of ownership if you can spawn the car at your safehouse whenever you want at no cost.

Syntax error, just delete the word even, and it makes sense.

Shreddy Krueger
  • Shreddy Krueger

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

I would love to see a garage system to SR3. It may not be realistic to be able to go and grab the same vehicle you just blew up, but I think that's just nitpicking from the "realists" of the GTA series. It would piss me off if, as someone else mentioned, we had to keep blowing money re-customizing a certain car I really like because it won't auto-spawn back in my garage. That's not my idea of a good way to make money useful in GTAV.

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

I think you should only be able to keep a vehicle saved like that if you've purchased it, however. Like you can go and buy a car if you have enough money so you don't have to keep stealing them. Once that's happened, you can customize it to your heart's content and when you put it in the garage, it is saved for all time (that is, when it is destroyed, it will be returned to your garages (any of them you own) for a decent fee). Which means it should be rather expensive, but it does add an extra purpose for money and doesn't make things completely easy like Saints Row.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

An issue I can see with being able to save your custom car even if it gets destroyed, is that you can sell your cars for money. What's to keep you from grabbing your $10,000 luxury sports car, taking it to the guy you sell it to, then heading back to the safe house to grab it again for more cash?

Unless they could make it so selling the car prevented it from being saved.

Shreddy Krueger
  • Shreddy Krueger

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Darko @ Tuesday, Jul 3 2012, 22:53)
I think you should only be able to keep a vehicle saved like that if you've purchased it, however. Like you can go and buy a car if you have enough money so you don't have to keep stealing them. Once that's happened, you can customize it to your heart's content and when you put it in the garage, it is saved for all time (that is, when it is destroyed, it will be returned to your garages (any of them you own) for a decent fee). Which means it should be rather expensive, but it does add an extra purpose for money and doesn't make things completely easy like Saints Row.

I agree with that, except for the part about being charged to have the vehicle replaced if destroyed. For example, what if I'm in said car I want to start a mission, and it's one of those missions where I have to leave my vehicle and it becomes lost. So due to the structure of the mission, I'm forced to shell out X amount of money to get it back?

I like the idea of purchasing a car, that should cost plenty of cash as it is. Charging me to replace my already purchased car if it's destroyed just to re-access it in the garage would hinder me personally from taking it out and doing anything awesome with it for fear of having to have my wallet drained (if I don't have a ton of cash) every time I want to do some joyriding or knock off a couple of random missions.

Turbojohn
  • Turbojohn

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (Cutter De Blanc @ Wednesday, Jul 4 2012, 00:55)
An issue I can see with being able to save your custom car even if it gets destroyed, is that you can sell your cars for money. What's to keep you from grabbing your $10,000 luxury sports car, taking it to the guy you sell it to, then heading back to the safe house to grab it again for more cash?

Unless they could make it so selling the car prevented it from being saved.

that would be simple, once you sell it, it no longer would be in the garage...

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:55 AM

Alright I thought about it and reconsidered, I think it's a good idea. As long as it only works for cars you legally purchased, and costs some money every time you re-spawn the vehicle, I agree with the idea.

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

Just like in the previous games, but you can store as many vehicles in a garage as you can fit in it.

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (Shreddy Krueger @ Wednesday, Jul 4 2012, 01:06)
I agree with that, except for the part about being charged to have the vehicle replaced if destroyed. For example, what if I'm in said car I want to start a mission, and it's one of those missions where I have to leave my vehicle and it becomes lost. So due to the structure of the mission, I'm forced to shell out X amount of money to get it back?

I like the idea of purchasing a car, that should cost plenty of cash as it is. Charging me to replace my already purchased car if it's destroyed just to re-access it in the garage would hinder me personally from taking it out and doing anything awesome with it for fear of having to have my wallet drained (if I don't have a ton of cash) every time I want to do some joyriding or knock off a couple of random missions.

I just felt that it makes sense for there to be some kind of penalty for having your car totaled. Under normal circumstances, the penalty is that you no longer have that car at all. But in this case, it's just a money penalty.

I do agree that when it's related to missions the rules should be different, since you do often have to abandon your cars, and that's out of your control. They should just go back to the garage when a mission is over. But when it comes to joy-riding, there's a similar thing for when a person goes on a rampage: if they die, they have to pay the hospital bills.

So sort of like in real life, the cars you own require you to put a little money into them. To buy them, to customize them, to maintain them (but not in the mundane ways like filling up gas). Maybe putting the car in the garage should automatically fix damage, but obviously if it's totaled you won't be able to drive it at all, in which case you get prompted if you want to have it return to your garage for a certain fee. It doesn't have to be a crazy amount, but gives you a reason to be careful with your car.

TrialzGTAS
  • TrialzGTAS

Hopes for turnout gear in V!

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

I like having a car for the enviorment. The houses I had in the hills were quads and Sandkings. Residential homes had super-cars, and Grove had the Low riders. I think the garage should hold what you put in it. GTA doesnt adopt systems from rivals.

mdr279
  • mdr279

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:19 AM

I want either a system that permenately stores a car or a system where you can park any vehicle on you property whether in be in the garage, front yard or backyard and it saves it in that spot.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

I'd like the garage system from saints row because in the end, it increases the ability to experiment without fear of losing your favorite car that you just spend half an hour tuning. Oh sure, realism this, worth of car that, whatever. Why should I not be able to jump my favorite car off of a cliff, then be able to retrieve and repair it at the nearest garage? Aside from all of that realism bullsh*t people also use to try to excuse bringing hunger back.

gtaGiga
  • gtaGiga

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:44 AM

Why can't r* make it so we can make our own spawn points or parking spaces??? I think that w.ould be interesting

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:18 AM

I hope there's an oceanside mansion with a gate that I control, and a dock so I can put my yacht and my jetski (with a trailer loading ramp). Inside I have a stash of guns and money, and my entourage/homies that roll with me and obey my orders. On top of the mansion is a helipad with my helicopter. Also like 2 garages, one attached (2 bays) and one detached (3 bays + 1 huge bay). I'd have my fastest car and most armored vehicle in the attached garage. I'd put a nice car, motorcycle, truck, and tow-trailer (with fastest boat on top) in the detached garage. Then in my private hangar, I'd have a ramp-truck and a semi-truck, along with a couple planes and helicopters. I'd have a couple more really fast bikes, cars, and trucks, and a good semi-cab to haul my toys around.

I feel like I'm going to be disappointed...

Turbojohn
  • Turbojohn

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (TrialzGTAS @ Wednesday, Jul 4 2012, 02:06)
I like having a car for the enviorment. The houses I had in the hills were quads and Sandkings. Residential homes had super-cars, and Grove had the Low riders. I think the garage should hold what you put in it. GTA doesnt adopt systems from rivals.

It's not a system adopted by rivals in the first place, Any video game which focus on cars has this feature: Need for speed since Underground 2 (which had open world), Midnight Club 3 (which was made by Rockstar BTW), Driver San Francisco (It's a racing game, not a rival, and Saints Row 3.

It's not about adding a competitors feature, since it doesn't even belong from a competitor, It's a feature that lot's of video games have, and would fit GTA perfectly IMO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users