GTA IV/EfLC Install limits

10 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

This is relating to the question and posting last week in the Ballad of Gay Tony section, I await an honest answer, and I believe mod GT-1 deleted both postings, though this is a legit place to ask about the PC downloads or installs. I was doing the same as the person asking, except that I have the hard copy discs and he was downloading from the PSN or XBL, After a download it was requesting a serial for the install, I thought if this was a legit concern, go to RockstarGames' site regarding installs. They leave a note as part of the PC install regarding errors you encounter, one of the EULA stips also points to the SecuRom site for remedy, when you uninstall, it refers to a stage called Revocation, it also lists a number of undisclosed install times on the SAME OR DIFFERENT computer. Now, I'm not pirating anything, I just want the software on a machine that can handle it and that pretty much means some install and test driving. Has anyone determined this limit for installs, and will Revocation help to alleviate a possible problem in that regard?

Thats the main thing I wonder about, since it's not disclosed in their notes

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

It's not disclosed as it varies from publisher to publisher (plus, they like to hide their customers' rights from themselves)

At default, it's meant to be something like this:
- 5 securom activations which can be revoked by using the revoke license tool. The counter can also be easily reset, by contacting securom with proof of purchase
- 10 GFWL activations which are required for online play only, you can still play the game in single player, via the offline GFWL account or by means of xliveless. These activations can not be revoked and it's very hard to say what actually triggers a new GFWL activation as some people ran out of GFWL activations by simply reinstalling the game a number of times on exactly the same machine/OS. GFWL activations can be reset by phone, but the procedure (from other people's stories) can be complicated as it's supposedly difficult to hit the right department when contacting the (general) xbox support (yes, gfwl is a mere subdepartment to xbl)

That's about it.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

I stay mad @ Rockstar

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

used the same discs five times maybe. but REVOKED each and every time. plus i have about three or four copies of EFLC discs from target clearance. GFWL wants to attach my username account with the game nowadays, but going online isn't important enough for me to care anymore. most people playing EFLC were from outside the U.S. - different time zones... dead servers
i read somewhere that rockstar lets us install the games 99 times...

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:51 AM Edited by Slamman, 03 July 2012 - 04:58 AM.

Nice deal there, the whole thing about getting a Freebie makes it hard to post a thread without the worry Moderators delete such things or lock them. Just on a need to know basis, since I do like the software of years past, GTA games you could install without an online registering nightmare, but being GTA is now leaps and bounds better then the PS2 Renderware era, they have to secure everything behind a vault. See GTA IV for PC only $20. One thing I hate is that the pawn shops won't take PC software, I guess it's TOO risky

Anywho, the Revocation status got me thinking if it really factors in, some EULAs demand you destroy a copy (of your purchased software if no longer kept) or something crazy like that, although you can sell as long as you transfer everything.

I don't recall who told me, but I think I was reading or hearing that it's between 10 and 15 times you could make possible machine substitutions.

Thanks guys
For fun, FYI, I saw that my Games for Windows Live is the old XBL user account I set up originally, if you ever click on those icons, you might know I updated mine, but for the PC GfWL, it's the same old one, and XBL friends show up on it too, which I am happy to see actually, since you can type much easier on a PC, and it seems online play is free, no worry about Gold, I have to say, this is old news for some I suppose, but I'm just getting back into it since the wait for GTA V is extended as you know

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE (unc13bud @ Tuesday, Jul 3 2012, 04:43)
i read somewhere that rockstar lets us install the games 99 times...

That's as disinformative as it can get.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

I stay mad @ Rockstar

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

[QUOTE]That's as disinformative as it can get.[/QUOTE]

well, how's this?
http://www.joystiq.c...-install-limit/
and in case any of you are still afflicted with the ailment that prevented your fingers from using the keyboard to prove me wrong:
http://uk.pc.ign.com...4/934268p2.html

[/QUOTE]I have several machines, including a large rig at home, in my office, and a laptop that I take on the road. Can I install the game on all of my machines at once, and if so, how many?

Rockstar: Yes. If you have the retail disc version you will just need to take the disc with you and you can play on an unlimited number of machines. For the digital download versions, each digital download vendor has its own policy on the number of installations that are allowed. Check the vendor's policy before you purchase.[QUOTE]

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Read very carefully now
How many times can I INSTALL and uninstall GTA IV using the retail disc I purchased?

Yes, you can *instal* the game as many time as you want, which is quite true according to the game manual (had that discussion a few times already.) I find many people are confused about terms such as installation, activation, multiple system activation.

Additional info:
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=481657
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=445717
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=434955
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=506958

There are more threads like these. As you can see, my fingers are quite operational.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

I stay mad @ Rockstar

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

well, why didn't you type it before?! made me waste my time... and i don't have to re-read it, i answered the question the FIRST TIME!

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:12 AM Edited by mkey82, 04 July 2012 - 05:14 AM.

I'm not sure I understand what you're on about there, but picture this:

Q: "On how many machines can I *use* GTAIV?"
A: "You can *install* it on as many PCs as you want."
Q: "Does that mean it's enough to have one product key which which as many people I want can play, even on-line?"
A: "... yes, BUT you need the original DVD to play!"
Q: "So, I can buy one game copy, get the no-disk-check launcher from Securom themselves, package it with my game files, the product key and distribute to as many "friends" as I want?"
A: "..."
Q: "Riiiiight"

Makes absolutely no freaking sense. The guy from R* IGN talked to
a) is an idiot
b) does not work for R*
c) is outright lying
d) any combination or all from the above

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

I stay mad @ Rockstar

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

http://support.rocks...ation-of-gta-iv

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:24 AM

Yes, that
a) handles only half of the activation process
b) does not explain how many (by R*'s account an infinite amount) people can play the game concurrently, using the same source

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users