Rome Total War II

80 replies to this topic
Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 10:19)
especially since Shogun 2 was such a disappointment.
Rome 2 will save the day.

Disappointment? It was leagues better than Empire or Napoleon so I don't know what you're talking about. tounge.gif

Rome 2 is sure to surpass it though, disappointment or not.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Adler @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 12:34)
Disappointment? It was leagues better than Empire or Napoleon so I don't know what you're talking about. tounge.gif

well Napoleon was a glorified expansion pack that never should have seen the light of day, but Empire was great.

the problem with Shogun 2 is that after you played the campaign one time, you pretty much played every faction.
every single Shogunate family had the EXACT SAME units. identical. there was no variety in any direction.

no matter where you start from, the game will always turn out exactly the same.
move from the corners into the center of Kyoto and take over the capitol. it was extremely boring and there was no point in going back and playing as any of the other factions like there was in Empire. in Empire there were still Elite 'hero' type units that were unique to each faction. and the approach to "winning" was never the same. every time you play there was a completely different outcome.

Witchking Of Angmar
  • Witchking Of Angmar

One Ring to rule them all.

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

rome 2 intro

Toke
  • Toke

Gonna cover you in sh*t like a ton of pigeons

• Angels of Death MC
  • NATO
  • Contribution Award [Gangs]

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

This really is looking to be the best Total War ever released.

And thankfully on paper it looks like my computer can handle it though it will be some time before I'll be able to actually buy it because of all the great games coming out around its release.

Dobleh
  • Dobleh

Operative

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:42 PM Edited by Dobleh, 05 August 2013 - 10:51 PM.

user posted image

while i can't wait for ROME 2, i really hope that someday Creative Assembly will make a Total War game set during the Victorian era, with a huge world map. this era is so fascinating to me. lots of huge wars/conflicts happened at that time. also there are many of technological advancements such as submarine and more powerful rifles. a new nations like Germany was born in this period, also the birth of American imperialism, etc. so much interesting things to cover in this period. it would be the strategy game of my dream.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

I want a medieval period again, but without the bullsh*t of the discovery of gunpowder and stuff, that kind of ruined the campaign in M:II for me. (Even if it is accurate to an extent)

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

Haven't played a total war game since Napoleon. Empire kinda turned me off the series with its god awful AI and lack of mod support. Is Rome II going to be any different?

Dobleh
  • Dobleh

Operative

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (Nipperkins @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 05:51)
Haven't played a total war game since Napoleon. Empire kinda turned me off the series with its god awful AI and lack of mod support. Is Rome II going to be any different?

lots of problem in EMPIRE due to the engine itslef. Creative Assembly creating a new engine and EMPIRE is their first game on it. they've not mastered it. but in NAPOLEON we can see the improvement, also in SHOGUN 2 and its expansion pack. with ROME 2, i believe they already mastered and optimized the engine, so this time we can expect a good game.

Witchking Of Angmar
  • Witchking Of Angmar

• Members
  • England

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

rome total war 2 skirmish http://www.google.co....50500085,d.ZWU

Witchking Of Angmar
  • Witchking Of Angmar

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

wow this looks like it's going o be the best total war game yet. i loved rome total war 1, and will most definetly love this too.

Dobleh
  • Dobleh

Operative

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:54 AM

guide now up on Creative Assembly wiki for new players: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/How_To_Play

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

I just bought the game! It seems like fun.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

This is the one PC game I wish I was able to play. I remember playing Medieval II and the first Rome and having amazing fun

Davo the Assassin
  • Davo the Assassin

Andolini Mafia Family - Blood is thicker than Water

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

My copy has been dispatched! I cannot wait, I sunk so so so many hours into RTW, I hope to do so in RTW2. EXCITED, especially as I've got bored of Shogun!

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'll update the OP later today. Guess I've been sidetracked for the past year or so...

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

Soothe us with sweet lies...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 05:26)

Oh you will love this game.

Total War games are always gems. The last few since ETW weren't as good as the previous ones, IMO, but it seems like Rome 2 is a return to many things that players have enjoyed and have wanted from the series.

I pre-ordered on Steam back when pre-orders went up in May. Pre-loaded a few days ago and ready to go for the unlock. One thing I am disliking is that it goes by west coast time so in my time-zone (EST) I have to wait until 3 a.m. for the unlock. Damn.

If it unlocked at midnight EST I would have been able to get some decent playtime in. But by the time it unlocks, decrypts, unpackages and so on it'll be near 4 a.m.

Ah well. It's a great series and this is looking like it'll be a great addition to the series. I know it'll keep me busy until the 17th when V comes out!

Davo the Assassin
  • Davo the Assassin

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 15:42)

Total War games are always gems. The last few since ETW weren't as good as the previous ones, IMO, but it seems like Rome 2 is a return to many things that players have enjoyed and have wanted from the series.

I pre-ordered on Steam back when pre-orders went up in May. Pre-loaded a few days ago and ready to go for the unlock. One thing I am disliking is that it goes by west coast time so in my time-zone (EST) I have to wait until 3 a.m. for the unlock. Damn.

If it unlocked at midnight EST I would have been able to get some decent playtime in. But by the time it unlocks, decrypts, unpackages and so on it'll be near 4 a.m.

Ah well. It's a great series and this is looking like it'll be a great addition to the series. I know it'll keep me busy until the 17th when V comes out!

I think I probably had the most fun playing ETW. Crushing the world under the mighty British redcoats was amazingly good fun, especially taking over America, which by no means was an easy fight.

Though I hope to god that the AI is better in this game. My biggest irk in the series was, ignoring the fact that it was exactly what you were trying to do, was when an AI faction dominated all. For example the Maratha Confederacy (I think it was them) would just steadily steamroll all other AI factions given long enough, until it was just you versus them. I want variety. But I also want those individual smaller factions to still be a massive challenge, or else where would the fun be? In very late game its not so bad, but earlier on it just kills me fighting the same faction over and over

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 02:12)

I have already preinstalled the game ready for release.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:27 AM

Game's all done and installed, now I wait.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (Davo the Assassin @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 16:44)
I think I probably had the most fun playing ETW. Crushing the world under the mighty British redcoats was amazingly good fun, especially taking over America, which by no means was an easy fight.

I agree that Empire was easily one of the best Total War games.
it really had a little bit of everything and such depth/diversity.

but c'mon. Great Britain?
that's so vanilla tounge2.gif

my favorite way to play Empire was to campaign as the Dutch AKA United Provinces.
they were the only starting faction to hold land on all 3 maps (Americas, Europe, and India) from the very beginning. their Elite infantry was one of the best in the world rivaled only by France. you could start out by allying with the French to secure your home region before expanding into South America and India simultaneously. you can mop up the Spanish before they ever gain a foothold in Cuba or Mexico before taking over the US from the South upwards. meanwhile your Indian force begins pushing into the middle of the Marathan civil war in Southern India to pick off the remains and take over the continent. also the Dutch starting Navy is awesome considering they (historically) controlled the East India trading company, so you quickly gain access to the most lucrative ivory and spice trade route from East Asia minor.

god damnit I'm such a f*cking nerd for that game lol.gif good times.
but yeah you should try playing as someone other than one of the big three; US, Britain, or France. playing as the smaller/underdog nations was great.

I've preordered RTW II but you guys with Steam or other digital downloads will get your hands on it first.
let us know if it's HALF as good as it looks icon14.gif

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 13:52)

True but without the basic how are we even going to improve.

Witchking Of Angmar
  • Witchking Of Angmar

• Members
  • England

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

my rome total war 2 just came through the post lol. colgate.gif

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:59 PM Edited by Audiophile, 02 September 2013 - 04:53 PM.

And now you wait for the unlock on Steam....joy. tounge.gif

I loved ETW, it's just I was a stickler for the character system from previous TW games and was sad to see it, in essence, be dumbed down if not for the most part removed. I don't play TW games for that feature but it really, really made it more immersive for me and interesting. Of course, I do understand, the period in which ETW was set didn't really allow for that.

I remember one of my best games was indeed playing the Dutch. It was years back but what I do remember is despite not having a decent foothold on Europe I had colonized a good chunk of the Americas and started in on the Indies. Had a lot of difficulties as the Martha Confederacy had taken over the majority of the region.

After that my save game went to sh*t. lol.gif I also had a good time playing Sweden, in fact that was the first faction I played when I got the game.

Can't wait for Rome II, unlock is in less than 24 hours!! I think I'll play Rome, Egypt or Carthage first. What about you guys?

So excited! Rome II and GTAV are the two games I've been waiting for.

EDIT:
Here is the launch trailer!

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 02:29)
Can't wait for Rome II, unlock is in less than 24 hours!!

That's less than 24 hours too long! sad.gif

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Davo the Assassin @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 14:44)

Though I hope to god that the AI is better in this game. My biggest irk in the series was, ignoring the fact that it was exactly what you were trying to do, was when an AI faction dominated all. For example the Maratha Confederacy (I think it was them) would just steadily steamroll all other AI factions given long enough, until it was just you versus them. I want variety. But I also want those individual smaller factions to still be a massive challenge, or else where would the fun be? In very late game its not so bad, but earlier on it just kills me fighting the same faction over and over

Total War AI is just the worst. On harder difficulties, AI just blatantly cheats, pulling armies and money out of their asses. Other factions besides yours also tend to gang up on you easily, but I have more of a problem with the AI cheating. This remained the same in Shogun 2 which I wasn't happy about.

I also had a near-endgame scenario with Maratha dominating the entire Indian subcontinent (with only the Punjab faction spared since they were allies with Maratha). I tried to dominate the entire world, but I got tired of fighting Maratha since by then, all I would have to do is steamroll them with advantages in numbers and unit quality. Still, it was fun seeing the world map steadily being painted green as I expanded Russia all over Europe and beyond. Gameplay became rinse-and-repeat after conquering Europe due to overwhelming advantage, but I had fun in Europe before all the factions were demolished.

I also remember having a hard time invading Malta since I couldn't deploy troops off my ship. Spent dozens of turns trying to get a large army to just land on the island at all. What a buggy game lol.

Davo the Assassin
  • Davo the Assassin

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 03:22)
QUOTE (Davo the Assassin @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 16:44)

I agree that Empire was easily one of the best Total War games.
it really had a little bit of everything and such depth/diversity.

my favorite way to play Empire was to campaign as the Dutch AKA United Provinces.
they were the only starting faction to hold land on all 3 maps (Americas, Europe, and India) from the very beginning. their Elite infantry was one of the best in the world rivaled only by France. you could start out by allying with the French to secure your home region before expanding into South America and India simultaneously. you can mop up the Spanish before they ever gain a foothold in Cuba or Mexico before taking over the US from the South upwards. meanwhile your Indian force begins pushing into the middle of the Marathan civil war in Southern India to pick off the remains and take over the continent. also the Dutch starting Navy is awesome considering they (historically) controlled the East India trading company, so you quickly gain access to the most lucrative ivory and spice trade route from East Asia minor.

god damnit I'm such a f*cking nerd for that game lol.gif good times.
but yeah you should try playing as someone other than one of the big three; US, Britain, or France. playing as the smaller/underdog nations was great.

I've preordered RTW II but you guys with Steam or other digital downloads will get your hands on it first.
let us know if it's HALF as good as it looks icon14.gif

Hey don't get me wrong, I did a Dutch campaign too, enjoyed it. But using the Red Coats was just the most satisfying for me. Being a historian who loves the British Army of the 1700s, it was a must-do for me haha. inlove.gif

I think one of my favourite parts about the original Rome Total War were the generals, and how their names changed depending on how successful they were. I remember the one general I used to decimate the entire of the Iberian Peninsula with, he was 'So-and-so the Blood Thirsty destroyer' or something similar by the end, happy days. I'm glad there's a focus back on the Generals now.

@Audiophile: It's gonna have to be the Romans, after all, who doesn't like rank upon rank of scarlet coloured death dealers marching down upon you?

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (Davo the Assassin @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 17:42)
I think one of my favourite parts about the original Rome Total War were the generals, and how their names changed depending on how successful they were. I remember the one general I used to decimate the entire of the Iberian Peninsula with, he was 'So-and-so the Blood Thirsty destroyer' or something similar by the end, happy days. I'm glad there's a focus back on the Generals now.

hey good point.
I almost forgot about that.

your generals could also earn unique retinue by conquering famous cities, remember?
there was a special title attached to any general who took Carthage or Egypt, etc.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Game unlocked an hour ago and I played about 30 minutes so far after unpacking was done.

So far....I am loving it!

Started with Rome and loving the game, can't say much else as I've only got about a half hour in but I am loving the way cities develop now and though I am disappointed in the fact that the family tree is missing (would have made sense to put it in....considering) the new character system is not that bad.

Only played about two battles and both of them lasted a few minutes because the enemy was no match for my force with superior numbers. Loving the combat but the AI is a little meh, as with most TW games.

All in all, I am not disappointed and loving the game....will play more once I wake up.

Enjoy, guys.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Bah! I really wanted to play this, a coworker showed me it awhile ago. I doubt my Craptop can handle it though :\

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

It keeps freezing then crashing for me.

My system specs are

CPU: AMD FX ™-4100 Quad-core processor 3.60 GHz
Operating system: 64bit Windows 7
RAM: 16GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

1 user(s) are reading this topic