Drummers

152 replies to this topic
Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 22:41)
I'm really thinking about buying a double bass pedal smile.gif
My parents might buy it as a present for Christmas, but as you can expect, the budget isn't high.
I live in Holland, can someone recommend me some good ones?

The one with the lowest price I could find is the Fame DFP4002.
It's just €60, so I'm not expecting much. But, what can I expect of if?

I assume you found them on MusicStore? As Fame is there house brand. Don't buy it. Look for something from a more known hardware manufacturer, like Gibralter, Pearl, DW etc.

I have the Gibralter Intruder:

http://www.woodbrass...ss/9611DDDB.JPG

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Keep in mind, I'm a rookie so I don't need all professional hardware just yet wink.gif
But it doesn't look that bad now does it?

user posted image

MajorMinor81
  • MajorMinor81

Embarrassed

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

why do people need double bass pedals are you too slow or just bad at drums

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

sarcasm.gif

Too slow I guess. Or maybe I don't have a spastic foot?
But what he does isn't anywhere near 'nice' to listen to ...

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 15:01)
But what he does isn't anywhere near 'nice' to listen to ...

Agreed.

Quite frankly, it was plain awful. I can see how the single-foot speed can be a good thing, something that can be used to enhance an otherwise normal or simplistic beat, but playing it in such an uncoordinated and brash manner just makes it sound as though he's lost control of it all.

No matter how much training you put your body through, your foot will only ever be able to move at a certain speed (roughly that of the bloke in the video), and as he proves, it doesn't sound good. I would bet that Danny Carey, Joey Jordison, hell, even Lars Ulrich could pull off the speed, but they don't simply because it just doesn't work. Did you know that someone has invented a triple-bass pedal? Again, it sounded awful so it passed by without notice. The point is, double-bass isn't just for speed or for people who are "bad at drums", it has an entire style of its own and is played to accommodate and compliment that style. There are many, many techniques for double that you could never pull of with a single pedal.

So, to answer your rather condescending and illustrative-of-your-lack-of-understanding question, "why do people need double bass pedals are you too slow or just bad at drums?", the answer is neither. Speed is irrelevant and you have to be above a certain level to be able to play them so not being good enough is an impossibility.

MajorMinor81
  • MajorMinor81

Embarrassed

• Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:38 AM Edited by MajorMinor81, 28 November 2012 - 08:42 AM.

that was just him doing it as fast as possible

what about this video

or this

[33 seconds in]

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Well that first video was very poor quality so it would be unfair to make any kind of comment about it. The second video didn't help at all either. No offence to the guy, I get that it's his style and such, but he just sounds awful, in my opinion. There's nothing impressive about any of it and it sounds as though he's just hitting things randomly with no prior thought, like an epileptic toddler with wooden spoons and saucepans. He definitely has skill with his timing, I'll give him that. He also has some rather interesting twists, but that's as much credit as I can give him. Don't get me wrong, I'm open to all styles and such, but if I don't like it I won't force myself to do so, and whilst I take my hat off to the guy for being himself, I put it back on in an effort to stop the sound getting to my ears.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Wednesday, Nov 28 2012, 12:09)
There's nothing impressive about any of it and it sounds as though he's just hitting things randomly with no prior thought, like an epileptic toddler with wooden spoons and saucepans. He definitely has skill with his timing, I'll give him that. (...) and whilst I take my hat off to the guy for being himself, I put it back on in an effort to stop the sound getting to my ears.

You just hit the nail right on the head icon14.gif

nor
  • nor

• Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Drummer reporting in.

Hi.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi.

How long have you been drumming, and do you have your own kit?
If so, could you post a picture? smile.gif
Also, do you maybe have videos of yourself drumming on YT?

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:36 PM Edited by Exxon, 30 November 2012 - 03:38 PM.

I'm almost able to play The Strokes - Under Cover of Darkness, which I find quite hard.
The fills on the snare are annoying.

Besides that, can play beats like Rise Against has (Injection, This Is Letting Go. Though, basics, not the fills).
I cán play Green Day - American Idiot, though I still have to work on the speed of the main fill.
But, I still have to practice if I'd want to record a drum cover, as not everything goes as smoothly as I want.
Yet! smile.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:20 PM Edited by TheGreatGig23, 02 December 2012 - 04:30 PM.

QUOTE (Exxon @ Friday, Nov 30 2012, 16:36)
Green Day - American Idiot

God, I remember teaching myself that one and getting so damn frustrated at the section just after the guitar solo in which he introduces the cymbal. It's so simple and only a tiny variant on the original beat yet my mind couldn't comprehend it.

The song I'm learning right now is "Sulfur" by Slipknot. I'm doing it without a kit but it's no problem seeing as it's mainly the double-bass I'm in need of fine-tuning and I can practice that anywhere. I played an alternate version with a single pedal on a friends kit not too long ago and I've got pretty much all the fills nailed, just need to work on my speed during the "thrash" parts. It takes so much energy to play this thing it's unreal.

As for the Strokes song, I'm not a huge fan of that one, but I had a go at "Reptilia" many moons ago and loved it. Incredibly energetic.

E: I'll add more to this when I get back from work later on.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Saturday, Dec 1 2012, 00:20)

God, I remember teaching myself that one and getting so damn frustrated at the section just after the guitar solo in which he introduces the cymbal. It's so simple and only a tiny variant on the original beat yet my mind couldn't comprehend it.

You just need to be really quick. Maybe adjust your crash or hit it with your left hand.

nor
  • nor

• Members

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Wednesday, Nov 28 2012, 17:47)
Hi.

How long have you been drumming, and do you have your own kit?
If so, could you post a picture? smile.gif
Also, do you maybe have videos of yourself drumming on YT?

Eleven years of experience, four piece (actually five, but I don't use the second floortom in my current setup) Sonor SQ2 (Remo Vintage Emperor batter, Remo Clear Ambassador resonance) with Zildjian K's DW 5000 pedals. I mostly use Vic Firth SPE, Vic Firth X5B and Vic Firth SHAR. I also own a Roland TD-15KV for home practice. I prefer drumming on a four-piece set up, or a five-piece with two floor toms.

Have you guys seen the Sonor Perfect Balance pedal? Might replace my DW 5000 with one. colgate.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Saturday, Dec 1 2012, 03:24)
QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Saturday, Dec 1 2012, 00:20)

You just need to be really quick. Maybe adjust your crash or hit it with your left hand.

Oh, I can do it now with ease, the problems where when I was learning it years ago as I had only been playing for a few months and learning by ear when you're partially deaf can sometimes lead to mistakes so all of that combined just meant I confused myself lol.gif

I've become stupidly addicted to Slipknot's album "All Hope Is Gone". The drumming is fantastic and there are so many songs that I want to learn. Given their relative complexity it's taking a fair bit of time. I can do "Psychosocial", "Dead Memories" and "Sulfur" is coming along nicely. I'll be going to my mates on Tuesday and seeing as we're both learning "Sulfur" we're interested to see how well I can do it considering I've learnt it without a kit whereas he has. My guess is that it'll take me a couple of rounds to actually nail it, but once I'm settled it'll be fine.

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Friday, Nov 30 2012, 17:36)
I'm almost able to play The Strokes - Under Cover of Darkness, which I find quite hard.
The fills on the snare are annoying.

Besides that, can play beats like Rise Against has (Injection, This Is Letting Go. Though, basics, not the fills).
I cán play Green Day - American Idiot, though I still have to work on the speed of the main fill.
But, I still have to practice if I'd want to record a drum cover, as not everything goes as smoothly as I want.
Yet! smile.gif

Can you tell me what you find annoying about the snare fills? As far as I can tell they are just straight 16th notes.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 04:58)
Can you tell me what you find annoying about the snare fills? As far as I can tell they are just straight 16th notes.

I know, it's actually quite simple.
But I don't have much speed now, though it should be sufficient.
I just never do it at the right time or right speed ... or too much snare hits confused.gif

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:49 PM Edited by Exxon, 07 December 2012 - 04:52 PM.

Excuse me for the double post, but I'd like your guys' advice smile.gif

I formed my own band, currently called Sunrise, having a drummer (me), a pianist, probably 2 guitarists (not sure yet), and a male and female singer.
The bass guitarist is yet to come, I've asked my teacher if he knows people and I'm still waiting for answer. But, it shouldn't be a really big problem.

But my question to all of you guys is: could you maybe name a few songs we could do?
We don't write our own songs (yet), I guess you could say we do full covers.

The songs we'll play:
Summer Paradise by Simple Plan ft. Sean Paul
Hall of Fame by The Script ft. Will I Am
Bruises by Train ft. Ashley Monroe

Can you guys maybe name a few songs we could play a cover of?
I mainly like fast, vivid and energetic songs if you'd like to know icon14.gif

Update:

This doesn't relate to the above, but I just wanted to say this.
I might get the following things for Christmas as presents smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

And a pair of Vic Firth 7A sticks.
Yes, the hi-hat stand and the double bass pedal are the cheapest of the cheapest, but I don't care.
I want them! inlove.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

I have to ask, out of sheer curiosity, how have you decided which songs to play when you don't know how many guitarists you're going to have and you don't have a bassist? You don't know if they'll like the songs or even be able to play them.

Anyway, a good song to cover would be "My Favourite Game" by The Cardigans. It's fast, energetic and easy as hell to play. In fact, it's so well structured that some fleeting improvisation would be incredibly easy to pull off. Also, people love it so it'll go down well with the crowd.

Do you actually play double-bass already or are you just starting?

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:33 PM Edited by Exxon, 18 December 2012 - 05:38 PM.

Well as of now I do have two guitarists, if the female singer and pianist leave I'll still have two guitarists, so there'll always be two guitarists tounge.gif
And as for the bassist ... I hope that'll come, but it sounds good now, so a bassist isn't really needed yet, I think.
How we decide which songs to play: I'll ask them and a yes means we'll play it, a no means we won't. Simple tounge2.gif

Thanks for the song, I'll look into it! smile.gif
As for the double-bass: I'll get it the 25th, but I've played a few minutes on one before and I don't have any problems playing it (besides full 16th notes double-bass songs wink.gif ).

EDIT
That song is perfect! Any more of them?
I know and like that song, and the others probably will too.
More suggestions like that'd be perfect!! biggrin.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Glad you like that one. One hell of a great song.

Here's one that, again, is simple yet very energetic and soulful. I link to this live version because the ending is different and it opens you guys up to making your own mark on it. You could drop the tempo just as they do, but go for a nice outro on the guitar or even lead into a mellow jam, the possibilities are endless.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:28 PM Edited by Exxon, 13 March 2013 - 05:50 PM.

-this post can be deleted-

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:54 PM Edited by Exxon, 13 March 2013 - 05:50 PM.

A whole month of no reply's confused.gif

I can now do cross sticking, it's awesome.
Now I need to get it up to speed smile.gif

Come one people sad.gif

Do you guys know bands with songs like this one, but then a little easier?

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:35 PM Edited by Exxon, 13 March 2013 - 05:47 PM.

Hi guys,

Since the Drummers topic I created is somewhat dead, I thought I'd ask in a new topic (I also don't want to triple post turn.gif ).
I want to ask the few drummers in here something about the drum heads, so here goes.

I have a Pearl Target drum kit (10"/12"/14"/20") and I noticed I'm already destroying my drum heads, they are still the stock heads.
The one I namely want to replace for the sound, to be honest is the kick drum head.
I saw a video of the Evans EMAD II drumhead (22", though I have a 20" bass drum), and the difference sounds phenomenal.

If I wanted to buy it, I'd buy it at Peter Verspuy or Feedback (the latter one has more choice).

Now, as you have read earlier I have 3 toms, 1 snare and 1 kick and I'd like to know which heads would be the best choice.
I'd like to have a sound like Brandon Barnes (Rise Against drummer) has, or Cobus Potgieter with his DW Drum kit.
I know you can't have a sound like that with a starters drumkit, but I just want a sound in that direction, not something jazzy smile.gif

So yeah, I think I already know which bass drum head I should buy, but what about the rest?
And is it really needed to buy both the front and resonant drum head?
I'd like to keep the costs as low as possible, so the resonant drum head isn't needed if it isn't necessary.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance smile.gif

EDIT
I was searching a bit, and I was thinking about these:

Evans Edge Control EC1 10"
http://www.petervers...lear-18379.html

Evans Edge Control EC1 12"
http://www.petervers...lear-18380.html

Evans Edge Control EC1 14"
http://www.petervers...lear-18382.html

Evans EMAD II Clear 20"
http://www.feedbackm...00005809/107647

I have no idea about the snare head though confused.gif

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Did I ever mention that I finally got a drum set? So far I've learned The Static Age by Green Day, Teenagers by My Chemical Romance, and California Uber Allies by The Dead Kennedys (among others, of course, but those are the ones I'm probably best at).

In all honesty, I'm not too great, but I've been practicing a lot and I think I'm slowly starting to improve.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

The Static Age, I might be able to do if I practice and get the hang of the fills, the rhythm shouldn't be too hard I guess.
A song I love is Sister by The Black Keys, which is very easy, but throw in fills from yourself and it's a lovely song smile.gif
I'm also practicing on The Dirt Whispered by Rise Against, but I'm not fast enough for the 32nd note fills so I have to replace those fills for now turn.gif

But what about your drumkit, which do you have and do you have a picture?

This is mine inlove.gif

user posted image user posted image

user posted image

Is there anyone who can help me with the issue about the drum heads?

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Wednesday, Mar 13 2013, 18:35)
And is it really needed to buy both the front and resonant drum head?

In short, I'd say yes. There are some parts that can be interchanged on drums, using two different brand cymbals on the hi-hat, for example. But in my experience, this doesn't work so well with heads. My original heads were Remo and after destroying them and replacing them with Tama heads (the resonants still being Remo), my kit sounded trashy. Perhaps there was something else that threw them off, I was rather amateur at the time, but I've had similar discussions before in which other drummers have agreed that it's best to have a matching pair. Nevertheless, for the sake of saving money, and as long as you're not doing any performances or relying on the sound too much (essentially sticking to practising), you'll be fine without the resonant heads for now. At least it'll give you time to get used to them.

On a different note, I had recorded myself playing not too long ago, but due to the video being remarkably low in quality I decided against it and thought it'd be best to try again with higher quality gear. I'll try and borrow my friends XL2 which'll do the job nicely. The one I recorded last had me playing Tool's "Sober" (video below). F*cking intense song that took me quite a while to learn for some odd reason. It's not hard nor is it complex, I just think I wasn't paying enough attention.

When I go in next, I'm planning on doing a drum cover of Innerpartysystem's "Don't Stop" and Sound City Players' "Mantra". The former is just energetic as hell and I can improvise over it really freely. The latter is a chilled instrumental that builds into a huge crescendo in which, again, I can improvise some nice fills but stick to the overall feel. Whenever I run through it in my head I get the style of Chad Smith (RHCP) instantly coming out so I might try and take that influence and throw it into the fills. Anyway, I'll post in here when I get round to it. I'm moving home at the moment so things are a bit hectic, but this will give me something to work towards.

Here are the songs I listed:

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:43 PM Edited by Exxon, 15 March 2013 - 04:13 PM.

Cobus uses Remo as top drum heads, but the stock ones (from Tama) for the bottom and his kit sounded very good in my opinion.

In the description:

QUOTE (Cobus)
*TECHNICAL INFO*

Drumkit:
Tama Superstar Custom; in the Blue Metallic Fade

Heads:
Toms TOP: Remo Powerstroke 3, Clear.
Toms BOTTOM: stock heads.
Snare TOP: Remo Emperor, Coated.
Snare BOTTOM: stock head.
Bassdrum BATTER: Remo Powerstroke 4, Clear.

Cymbals:
Paiste PST 5 UNIVERSAL setup:
14" Hats
16" Crash
20" Ride
Secondary Crash: Sabian XS20 Medium-Thin 16" Crash

(please note the toms are tuned and equalized for RECORDING purposes, live they need to be tuned a lot more "open" to sound as good as in the recording. and yes, the kit DOES sound that good live smile.gif i had almost NO equalising on the drums themselves, and ONLY removed some low frequencies from the overheads. basically i only levelled the mix and applied compression.)

Looking at that, I don't feel the need to replace it.
But even if it does make such a difference, I don't really have enough money for resonant heads.

Which drum heads do you recommend for me?
This is what I'm currently looking at to buy when my current ones get destroyed.

Evans Edge Control EC1 10"
http://www.petervers...lear-18379.html

Evans Edge Control EC1 12"
http://www.petervers...lear-18380.html

Evans Edge Control EC1 14"
http://www.petervers...lear-18382.html

Evans EMAD II Clear 20"
http://www.feedbackm...00005809/107647

Evans B14 G2 Coated 14" (Snare)
http://www.petervers...mvel-14068.html

I'm not sure about the snare head though confused.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Friday, Mar 15 2013, 16:43)
Cobus uses Remo as top drum heads, but the stock ones (from Tama) for the bottom and his kit sounded very good in my opinion.

Well colour me retarded, he does indeed! I'm guessing I got it all wrong when I tried it. Is there a video in which Cobus shows his setup, in terms of tuning and so forth? I love his sound and would love to see how he's got it to that point.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

I believe he doesn't have a video like that, the Tama Superstar kit he uses there belongs to the church were he recorded most of his drum covers.
It's not his kit, but he never showed how he tuned it.

But, if I wanted to record music with a videocamera, which ones would be adequate?
The videocamera I have is the Exilim EX-Z90, but I don't know about it's sound quality with drums.
And, it's just to record drums. We'll do a global recording and then I'll do the drums separately.

If I'd have this quality, I'd be oh so happy!
What cameras have this kind of quality, and does my Exilim come anywhere close to it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users