Drummers

152 replies to this topic
Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Be honest, the Stagg's sound quite good smile.gif

I'll be getting a drumkit with 2 Stagg crashes, a splash and a crash from Magic (don't know that brand).
Could be possible it's one Stagg and two Magic crashes though.

But in my opinion, the Stagg's sound very nice icon14.gif

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Come on guys sad.gif

I have a question: is it harmful for the hi-hat cymbals to use them as crash cymbals?

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

I have to say the the Stagg's don't sound too bad. I still prefer that brighter tone you get with Paiste or Zildjian, though.

As for using your hi-hats as crashes, as long as they sound alright I see no problem with it. I used to use an old Pearl hi-hat as a crash simply because it actually sounded better. It sounded great as a hi-hat but I had my Zildjian's in place which sounded better.

I'm seriously missing having a kit and now my money situation has gone tits up so my plan to save for a new kit has gone with it. Needless to say, this pisses me off to a whole new level.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

Vincere non θ importante, ma θ l'unica cosa che conta

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

I play guitar but Danny Carey, John Bonham, Dave Lombardo, Keith Moon, Dave Grohl, Lars Ulrich (yeah, I like his drumming on the earlier albums), Gene Hoglan, Gar Samuelson, Matt Cameron, Brad Wilk inlove.gif inlove.gif

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

A Dose of Metal you need!!!

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Oh yes, Stagg's for my are the best cymbals, cheap and really cool sound inlove.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Saturday, Sep 22 2012, 18:42)
I play guitar but Danny Carey, John Bonham, Dave Lombardo, Keith Moon, Dave Grohl, Lars Ulrich (yeah, I like his drumming on the earlier albums), Gene Hoglan, Gar Samuelson, Matt Cameron, Brad Wilk inlove.gif inlove.gif

That's a lovely looking list you have there icon14.gif

I'm a huge fan of Danny Carey. The man can do no wrong in my eyes. Oddly enough, I always have the urge to listen to him drum whenever I visit this thread.

Here's one that just tears me apart with how good it is. The various build-ups and fills are just supremely beautiful.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

Why don't I know those names? tounge2.gif

I recently found this play-along from my absolute favorite, Cobus.
It's from his product "The Cobus Method". Just listen to that amazing build-up at 1:36 - the end inlove.gif

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:50 PM Edited by headmetalbanger, 23 September 2012 - 12:58 PM.

Why don't I know those names? tounge2.gif

If you refer of those are drummers in bands of Rock / Metal, but really only like Lombardo, Samuelson and Gene tounge.gif

QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Saturday, Sep 22 2012, 18:42)
I play guitar but Danny Carey, John Bonham, Dave Lombardo, Keith Moon, Dave Grohl, Lars Ulrich (yeah, I like his drumming on the earlier albums), Gene Hoglan, Gar Samuelson, Matt Cameron, Brad Wilk  inlove.gif   inlove.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one of my favorites drummers and one of the most technical and really dominate the drums, Bobby Jarzombek :

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Holy sh*t!
Is this even possible?! mercie_blink.gif

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

I hate the fact that I'm always the one who revives the thread confused.gif

Anyway, I finally got my kit!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

inlove.gif

And I'm really honest, but in my opinion, the Stagg's (1 crash, 1 splash), the Magic Brass and the unnamed crash sound very good, especially for the price and looking at the fact that I'm a rookie.
Only thing though, the ride doesn't sound too good (though, acceptable) and the hi-hat pedal is 'loose' (click, it doesn't have the two connecting bars at the bottom).

A well, it rocks anyway smile.gif

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

Great kit man love it, I want back my drums (I sold this) and I too love Stagg's icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif inlove.gif

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:56 PM Edited by Exxon, 06 October 2012 - 04:59 PM.

My setup as of now:

user posted image

I moved the utter left crash to where the middle crash was and that middle crash more to the right now.
The other crash is now more to the right, but now I've screwed it on real tight so it sounds even more like a china crash (it's naturally a quite short sound).
I know it's bad for the cymbal, but it doesn't sound real nice actually and it's already f*cked up anyway tounge2.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

It's funny that you bring up the subject of set-ups. I was just about to post on this very subject.

I was watching these videos on Danny Carey (excellent watch for any fan, by the way) and in the first video, as you'll see below, he has his hi-hat position between the two toms. I wanted to try this many years ago but somehow forgot about it and ended up just sticking with the old format.

I bring this up because it's quite an interesting way of playing. It changes a fair bit of the dynamics that I've become used to. So, has anyone here played around with this style? If so, what's your opinion?

@ Exxon: How long have you had that snare, man? The skin looks like its had a fair few beatings.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

@TheGreatGig23

I bought this drumkit second-hand, I believe he has had it for about 3 years or so.
The previous owner has replaced some of the sheets, but I don't know which.
My snare does sound good, in my opinion. Much like the snare from Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal.

And about that hi-hat position ... what?
Between the toms? I've gotta check that out sometime tounge2.gif

Do you, by any chance, have any pictures from the drumkit you used to have?

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Wow, that looks like it's in pretty good nick for second hand. Good job on grabbing that deal, man.

As for the hi-hat, I'm sure some sort of special pedal is required as I imagine it would be pretty difficult to set up something like that up with the normal hi-hat gear.

I'm pretty sure I have some old pictures somewhere. If I can find them, I'll put them up.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thanks, I love pictures of others' drumkit.
And yeah, it was a very good deal for the money: all that for just €250, which is $325 icon14.gif
Just about everything sounds good, so yeah smile.gif

By the way, for now I use the bad crash cymbal as a china crash.
But once I have money I'm going to replace that crash, after that the ride (sounds horrible), then the other crash (not the Stagg's), maybe the hi-hat stand (its pedal is annoying) and after thαt I'm going to buy a double bass pedal inlove.gif

user posted image

Anyone who has experience with such hardware?
By the way, maybe I'll also buy a new splash or china crash one day turn.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

There's nothing worse than an annoying hi-hat pedal. Honestly, my old started to get loose after a while and it drove me absolutely insane. Good call on the double-bass though. If you learn, or already know, how to use one of them bad bays, you're in for a lot of fun. I had the Pearl P902 double-bass and, my god, I loved that thing more than my girlfriend...well, sometimes.

Here's a couple of pictures I found.

This first one was taken about 7 years ago (f*cking hell, I'm getting old). I was selling the cymbals hence their funny positioning.

user posted image

After not having much luck with getting my kit sorted out, I decided I couldn't bare to leave it abandoned and undertook the process of turning it into a storage device of some kind. This was taken at the beginning hence the bare look. I'd only drilled the holes for the hinges at this point.

user posted image

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Looks good smile.gif
But you say you had a double-bass pedal?
You don't have videos of yourself do you tounge.gif

But why did you sell it?
I see a guitar in the last picture, did your hobby change? tounge2.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

I don't, I'm afraid. I'm going to be recording a cover of Passion Pit's "Don't Call Me Crazy, I'm Happy" sometime in the next couple of months so I'll try and get something from that. If I don't get video, I'll definitely get the audio.

I sold it partly due to the fact that I needed money desperately and partly because the new house I was moving into didn't have room for the kit.

As for the guitar, my main thing has and always will be drums, but I just felt like I needed to know more. I got my acoustic (you can just barely see it next the electric in the picture above) and started learning chords and whatnot. As soon as I got my electric a whole new world was opened up musically. I feel as though I've reached my limit on guitar though, so I'm looking to learn piano next.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:03 PM Edited by Exxon, 06 October 2012 - 09:05 PM.

I've been playing the piano since I was 10 or so, though it was once in a while.
And it wasn't a real piano, just keyboard. My sister got herself one and I've also played one or two things on it.
In the band I play in, I play the keyboard. As my hobby for home, though, I play the drums tounge.gif

Since I'm in this band, I've found my real passion: drumming.
But I must admit, lately I'm also interested in guitars.
Not that I'm buying one, but it just looks and sounds so awesome when my bandmate does his solos and such. He's been playing guitar for over 2 years now and he's really good smile.gif

By the way, if you're wondering which song we're doing, it's "Barlowgirl - Never Alone".
Yes, I have to do the whole intro on piano and yes our lead singer sounds almost exactly like the original singer icon14.gif

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

I've got a question about opening and closing the hi-hat.
How do you guys do that?

I mean, I always skip a hit with the stick when it closes (so the closing of the hi-hat makes the hit sound).
But when I watch a video of Jared Falk, he keeps hitting the hi-hat with his stick when he closes the hi-hat.

I don't think anyone understands what I'm saying, so I've searched for two videos to explain it.

Jared Falk, keeps hitting the hi-hat with his stick when closing the hi-hat.
http://www.youtube.c...cYcG827I#t=171s

Najib Amhali, skips a hit with his stick when closing the hi-hat.
http://www.youtube.c...TauAXt60#t=330s

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Chris

• Feroci Racing
  • Netherlands

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Monday, Oct 15 2012, 14:27)
I've got a question about opening and closing the hi-hat.
How do you guys do that?

I mean, I always skip a hit with the stick when it closes (so the closing of the hi-hat makes the hit sound).
But when I watch a video of Jared Falk, he keeps hitting the hi-hat with his stick when he closes the hi-hat.

I don't think anyone understands what I'm saying, so I've searched for two videos to explain it.

Jared Falk, keeps hitting the hi-hat with his stick when closing the hi-hat.
http://www.youtube.c...cYcG827I#t=171s

Najib Amhali, skips a hit with his stick when closing the hi-hat.
http://www.youtube.c...TauAXt60#t=330s

It isn't a matter of good or bad, it's simply a different way of sound.

You can also experiment with how long you open it, you can hold it open for 1\8 (which is the case in both videos),
or you could open it for only 1\16, in that case, you can fit it right between 2 eight notes. But that takes some practice.

Jared hits it right after he closes the hi-hat, which sounds better than hitting it while it closes.

Personally, I do it like Jared Falk most of the time. Imo, playing all eight notes makes your beat more consistent, removing one 'breaks' the beat so to say.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Never thought to see you in here Blaster tounge.gif
For how long have you been playing drums?

Anyway, after seeing Jared play like that, I found out how he does it (or so it seems to me) and I can now open and close the hi-hat without a problem while playing.
I really love the fact that I have my own kit, I seriously notice I'm getting better smile.gif

By the way, Blaster, do you have your own kit too?
And if so, do you have any pictures? icon14.gif

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:46 PM Edited by King Mystery, 07 November 2012 - 08:49 PM.

My bro who plays drummed has hooked me up, and I'm finally learning the ropes a bit. Turns out I'm not too bad (at least, for a beginner), but I tend to get a bit violent when I get too into the songs.
I can't even begin to count how many times I've smacked myself in the face in the past 2 days with the force of my stick rebounding off the drums. Other than that, everything's going pretty smoothly.

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Chris

• Feroci Racing
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Wednesday, Nov 7 2012, 00:16)
Never thought to see you in here Blaster tounge.gif
For how long have you been playing drums?

Anyway, after seeing Jared play like that, I found out how he does it (or so it seems to me) and I can now open and close the hi-hat without a problem while playing.
I really love the fact that I have my own kit, I seriously notice I'm getting better smile.gif

By the way, Blaster, do you have your own kit too?
And if so, do you have any pictures? icon14.gif

I've been playing for about 3 years now. Yes I have my own drumset, a simple 5 piece Mapex Q, although I removed the middle tom.

I just ordered a new hihat (f*cking €300), I had a simple one from paiste.

I will make a photo soon.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Thursday, Nov 8 2012, 14:44)
I've been playing for about 3 years now. Yes I have my own drumset, a simple 5 piece Mapex Q, although I removed the middle tom.

My kit is a 'simple' 12 piece one without a brand tounge.gif
I really love this kit, it's (IMO) amazing for its price.

Things I actually don't like:

-The middle and high toms sound much alike.
-The floor tom sounds flat in my opinion.
-The ride was awful. I placed eight pieces of tape at the bottom, now it sounds quite alright. Though, it's a rather small cymbal.
-The unnamed 16" crash sounds awful, so I screwed it on real tight and now it sounds like a funny china.
-The snare is a bit short, like a handclap. But, I do like it to be honest.
-The hi-hat is very good, in my opinion, but the standard is f*cked up.
-The 14" Stagg crash is a bit too high-pitched, and it sounds shrill.
-The 16" Magic Brass crash sound fine, but doesn't match the Stagg one at all.

At last:

-I do like the kick, reminds me of a heartbeat or something.
-The snare is fine.
-The 8" Stagg splash is awesome, so is the cowbell tounge2.gif

That's quite a list, isn't it?
I'm looking at starting my own band, I already got a guitarist. He also knows a few people who'd want to sing and play piano.
That only leaves the bassguitarist. But that'll be fine, I'm hoping for the best smile.gif

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Chris

• Feroci Racing
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Thursday, Nov 8 2012, 20:22)
QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Thursday, Nov 8 2012, 14:44)

My kit is a 'simple' 12 piece one without a brand tounge.gif
I really love this kit, it's (IMO) amazing for its price.

Things I actually don't like:

-The ride was awful. I placed eight pieces of tape at the bottom, now it sounds quite alright. Though, it's a rather small cymbal.
-The unnamed 16" crash sounds awful, so I screwed it on real tight and now it sounds like a funny china.
-The hi-hat is very good, in my opinion, but the standard is f*cked up.
-The 14" Stagg crash is a bit too high-pitched, and it sounds shrill.
-The 16" Magic Brass crash sound fine, but doesn't match the Stagg one at all.

At last:

-The snare is fine.

That's quite a list, isn't it?
I'm looking at starting my own band, I already got a guitarist. He also knows a few people who'd want to sing and play piano.
That only leaves the bassguitarist. But that'll be fine, I'm hoping for the best smile.gif

A 'simple' 12 piece kit? biggrin.gif

So you have 10 toms? tounge.gif

A # piece kit says how many toms it has, 4 piece being a kick, snare and 2 toms, a 5 piece with 3 toms and so forth.

That's why many drummers don't include it in there setup, I have tom sizes 10, 12 and 14. The difference between the 3 is very noticable, but 14 is too low for a low tom imo. If your high is 12\13 and mid 14, I can imagaine they sound much alike.

Don't turn the lugs too tight, both batter and bottom head for the low tom.

I never taped any cymbal, might do that with my cheap paiste 101 crash. On the other side, I have a €250 worth Zildjian crash.

Don't hit it too hard then, eventually it will break. biggrin.gif (because the cymbal can't move)

So, like hiphop?

I find splashes very limited. I do have a cheap one, but not in my current setup.

You have a single or double pedal?

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Thursday, Nov 8 2012, 23:39)
A 'simple' 12 piece kit? biggrin.gif

So you have 10 toms? tounge.gif

A # piece kit says how many toms it has, 4 piece being a kick, snare and 2 toms, a 5 piece with 3 toms and so forth.

Whops, my bad! I thought that # piece kit shows you how many parts you've got biggrin.gif
Thanks for clearing that up icon14.gif

That's why many drummers don't include it in there setup, I have tom sizes 10, 12 and 14. The difference between the 3 is very noticable, but 14 is too low for a low tom imo. If your high is 12\13 and mid 14, I can imagaine they sound much alike.

Yeah well, I really want to use both so I ain't going to remove one.
By the way, over at our school here, they have two drumkits in the room where music's given (lessons).
In my opinion, both are very good, but the Stagg one is never being used, for as far as I know, so I'm going to ask if they're in for trading colgate.gif

Don't turn the lugs too tight, both batter and bottom head for the low tom.

I ain't going to f*ck with the screws and such, I'm very likely to break it wink.gif

I never taped any cymbal, might do that with my cheap paiste 101 crash. On the other side, I have a €250 worth Zildjian crash.

It really helps, I advise you to do so icon14.gif

Don't hit it too hard then, eventually it will break. biggrin.gif (because the cymbal can't move)

I know, but it's such a rubbish cymbal that it doesn't really matter.
It'll break nevertheless, so why not make it sound better tounge.gif

So, like hiphop?

Nah, more like Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal smile.gif

I find splashes very limited. I do have a cheap one, but not in my current setup.

You should use it, they are awesome.
They're perfect for fills where the crashes are too loud.

You have a single or double pedal?

I currently have a single bass pedal, how 'bout you?
But, I'm really looking forward to buying a double bass pedal. Must have them double pedal!
Such amazing monsters are awesome inlove.gif

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'm really thinking about buying a double bass pedal smile.gif
My parents might buy it as a present for Christmas, but as you can expect, the budget isn't high.
I live in Holland, can someone recommend me some good ones?

The one with the lowest price I could find is the Fame DFP4002.
It's just €60, so I'm not expecting much. But, what can I expect of if?

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

I haven't heard about those pedals but at that price I'm expecting a pretty rubbish experience. The fact I can't find any reviews on the pedal isn't exactly a good sign either.

Do Pearl products sell in your area? I know they're more pricy but they're well worth the money and they have a reputation for producing solid products. I myself own a pair of P2002-C Eliminator pedals which work great. However they have an entry line double pedal called the P-902. I own a single pedal version of it and it too is a great pedal, so if you can afford it I'd definately say jump for the P-902 (if it's available).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users