Photo

Drummers

152 replies to this topic
GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 10:49)
Na, but you're getting close. If you go back to that video I posted a couple back, it's at 1:29.

I just realised I f*cked up, I meant the 3rd time he sings it. My bad tounge.gif

Oh the herta! That makes much more sense now. We got there in the end tounge.gif

I play it RLR R. It's not the most efficient way of playing it but I didn't know any better at the time and seeing as I'd started that way, I found it hard to change to the proper method. When I started I actually thought it was just four notes until I realised that it didn't sound right. It was one of the parts I had to get help on and luckily my dad knew a thing or two about playing and he managed to figure it out.

@ Exxon: "Baba O'riley" is so god damn fun to play. Keith Moon got the feel of that song down to perfection. The fact that he was capable of mind-warping complexity yet kept it nice and simple is a huge testament to the credo, simplicity is the key.

Here's a little something I think every drummer should hear. I don't think I've come across anything as perfectly structured as this. It blows me away every time.

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:55 PM Edited by King Mystery, 19 July 2012 - 01:58 PM.

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Wednesday, Jul 18 2012, 14:04)
QUOTE (buzbegone @ Wednesday, Jul 18 2012, 02:10)
I started listening to Tre Cool (Green Day). Though some of his beats are basic compared to say, Travis Barker, he provides interesting fills.
I can't praise Tre Cool enough for his work on American Idiot. As you said, his beats can be rather basic but that's definitely not a bad thing, in my opinion. They suit his style, the Green Day sound and they're easy to pick up. But as you pointed out, his fills are the most interesting part. He managed to complete American Idiot, which has two rather lengthy songs, without ever becoming repetitive or boring. For that, I take my hi-hat off to him.

Fixed.

But on a more serious note, yeah, Tre is one of my favorites. He can go all over the f*cking drumset without even looking. While singing.
Way too underrated, in my opinion. Those fills are the sh*t.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Haha bloody loved that icon14.gif

Unfortunately, Tre does seem to be forgotten when people talk about great drummers. There are some that I think don't deserve their place *cough*Joey Jordison*cough* and it's a shame to see someone as talented as Tre slip through the cracks. Then again, maybe he should consider getting another name tounge.gif

Here's a track I liked more and more as I've heard it. The drums are pretty simple but they just work really well. The album itself is pretty damn decent. "After Midnight" is another great track that I'd highly recommend.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

To my opinion, this is how you should drum:

Your 'image' is important, if you'd ask me, and his smile and such is perfect smile.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Damn, I never thought I'd enjoy listening to a drum cover of that song. That dude was pretty damn smooth. Still, in my opinion, image is nothing when it comes to drumming. It just doesn't have anything to do with how well you play which is the most important thing.

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Friday, Jul 20 2012, 07:09)
Still, in my opinion, image is nothing when it comes to drumming.

Yeah, I agree.

I mean, it's not like anyone ever pays attention to the drummers anyways...

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:03 PM Edited by Exxon, 20 July 2012 - 09:52 PM.

You're right, I guess, but it's better to play happy than completely uninterested icon14.gif

As of now, I'm practicing for "Black or White" from the King of Pop.
Most parts are stolen by from this awesome guy;

I absolutely love his videos wow.gif

And be honest, it's waaay better to play like him (qua image) than some others do ..
moto_whistle.gif

Edit
Are there sites or programs to download songs from without certain music layers, in this case the drums?
That'd help me for practicing Black or White smile.gif

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (King Mystery @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 02:14)
I'm still not quite following... what about all the cymbals and other drums and sh*t? What's the letter for those? How do you know when to hit them? You can't just make a song out hitting three drums.

AC/DC almost can. tounge.gif

Regarding that fill from No One Knows RLR L makes the most sense to me, it means I can smoothly move my hand between the snare and tom and my left hand isn't sitting there doing nothing half the time.

Here's some videos of a few songs I played with some friends at a school event last year. I know I completely f*cked up the ending 3/4 times so no hassling me about that it was my first performance. tounge.gif

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:22 AM Edited by buzbegone, 23 July 2012 - 02:08 PM.

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 17:32)
QUOTE (King Mystery @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 02:14)
I'm still not quite following... what about all the cymbals and other drums and sh*t? What's the letter for those? How do you know when to hit them? You can't just make a song out hitting three drums.

AC/DC almost can. tounge.gif

Regarding that fill from No One Knows RLR L makes the most sense to me, it means I can smoothly move my hand between the snare and tom and my left hand isn't sitting there doing nothing half the time.

I was thinking that too. That's the more fluid way for me as well but now I know the proper way, I can practice.
Good stuff with the video, by the way. You weren't 'Travis Barker' over the top (which is a good thing) but you kept it flexible enough. I also like the Ringo avatar from TB:RB.

I would upload myself playing 'Welcome to Paradise' (Green Day) at my school's talent show from last year but I was, unluckily enough, on the first day and the f*ckers didn't have the camera set up. I really don't like talking about this because it's one of my proudest public performances. To this day, I wish I did Fire or Purple Haze
I also played 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl' with some guys at this massive night (Forgot what it was all for) and still looking for someone who videotaped it. If I do find it, I'll post it here.

Ashamed to admit it, I've learned the majority of my skills from Rock Band. It's actually quite an intriguing experience, learning how nippy Mitch Mitchell is or how unexpected and kick-happy Keith Moon was and playing their songs note for note has built me.

Anyways, a video of this school jazz band I was in last year. I haven't seen this video for a while and I can't believe how fat of a f*ck I was back then.
I do a bit of a solo about a third of the way in and yeah, it was improvised.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Friday, Jul 20 2012, 21:03)
Are there sites or programs to download songs from without certain music layers, in this case the drums?

Anyone, please? smile.gif

Luna Fortuna
  • Luna Fortuna

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 14:34)
QUOTE (Exxon @ Friday, Jul 20 2012, 21:03)

Anyone, please? smile.gif

Have you heard a program called guitar pro? You download a guitar pro file and it opens it with the separate instruments all with tabs. You can mute and isolate certain instruments. Unfortunately it's rather robotic, but it's still very useful.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:04 PM Edited by TheGreatGig23, 23 July 2012 - 05:19 PM.

QUOTE (Exxon @ Friday, Jul 20 2012, 22:03)
You're right, I guess, but it's better to play happy than completely uninterested icon14.gif

Oh! I thought you meant "image" as in dress sense tounge.gif I agree somewhat but I suppose it's personal preference. It's definitely far more enjoyable to watch a happy drummer.

That dude is bad ass on those drums. I listened to that a few times. Good luck learning it and make sure you show us when you're done, man.

@ Blackadder: Nice job on those songs icon14.gif "Sad But True" has one of the most intense introductions ever.

Speaking of Metallica, here's one of my personal favourites. The drums are just so damn good.

Edit: Exxon, after checking out some more of that guys videos, I'm now hooked. He some seriously tasty fills going on. This cover just knocked me out of my chair.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:00 AM Edited by Exxon, 24 July 2012 - 09:12 AM.

@TheGreatGig23
You don't have to tell me he's awesome, I've seen quite some video's of his and I know he's awesome biggrin.gif
Especially this awesome drum cover of Bomfunk MC's Freestyler is just unf*ckingbelievable (2:10 & 3:44 wow.gif )

But don't get excited on my drumming, I've only been drumming for 2 months now (1 or 2 times a week), I'm going to Kos now smile.gif and my version is by far, and far not as good as his turn.gif
My version has quite some fills from him, but it's very, very basic and rookie tounge2.gif

Edit
I just watched that video you mentioned, and I gotta say it's awesome mercie_blink.gif
Added it as .mp3 to my music and songs on my phone, perfect for going to Kos tounge.gif

Damn, I use a lot of smileys :S

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 19:22)
Ashamed to admit it, I've learned the majority of my skills from Rock Band. It's actually quite an intriguing experience, learning how nippy Mitch Mitchell is or how unexpected and kick-happy Keith Moon was and playing their songs note for note has built me.

Heh, Rock Band is what got me interested in drumming and formed a good starting point for me too. As long as you're making the connection as to what drum you're supposedly hitting as opposed to Yellow Green Blue etc then I think it's a great way to practice and learn new songs.

Unfortunately there used to be a folder on Mediafire which had a tonne of Guitar Hero and Rock Band rips, this was great because you could download the song, and since GH/RB tracks are seperated for gameplay purposes you could strip out the drum track leaving you with a perfect studio sounding version with the ability to put your drum track in (or other instrument) without having the other one at all. Unfortunately after Megaupload got taken down Mediafire as well as a bunch of other file hosting sites cracked down and started removing content and unfortunately this huge collection disappeared. I managed to get some Metallica and some other songs before it went down but it literally had almost every GH/RB song including DLC up to Rock Band 3. It's a shame really. sad.gif

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Shame this topic didn't get along well confused.gif

I want to ask the few drummers here: what kind of sticks do or did you use?
The ones I have now are Haymann Hickory 7A, but they are almost used up.
I think I'm going to buy thicker ones like the 5A hoping for them to last longer.

So, how do or did you guys experience this issue?

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 17:48)
QUOTE (buzbegone @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 19:22)

Heh, Rock Band is what got me interested in drumming and formed a good starting point for me too. As long as you're making the connection as to what drum you're supposedly hitting as opposed to Yellow Green Blue etc then I think it's a great way to practice and learn new songs.

Unfortunately there used to be a folder on Mediafire which had a tonne of Guitar Hero and Rock Band rips, this was great because you could download the song, and since GH/RB tracks are seperated for gameplay purposes you could strip out the drum track leaving you with a perfect studio sounding version with the ability to put your drum track in (or other instrument) without having the other one at all. Unfortunately after Megaupload got taken down Mediafire as well as a bunch of other file hosting sites cracked down and started removing content and unfortunately this huge collection disappeared. I managed to get some Metallica and some other songs before it went down but it literally had almost every GH/RB song including DLC up to Rock Band 3. It's a shame really. sad.gif

Yeah and I've been playing it long enough to differentiate what's a flam and what's a double hit on the snare/hi tom.
I managed to snag up a sh*t ton of multitracks if you're after any. It's absolutely fantastic listening to the split vocals on Sounds of Silence.

@ Exxon, I think I use a pair of maple 7As. They've gone through a lot in the past 3-4 months and haven't shown any signs of cracking and are the lighest sticks I own.
Unless you're planning to do Death Metal, I 'd recommend 7A.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:49 AM

I have 4 pairs of sticks, Vic Firth 5A's, Vic Firth Extreme 5A's, Vic Firth 3A's and Ahead Lars Ulrich Signature Sticks. All are Nylon Tipped, and the latter two are good for building up endurance, after I play for a day or two with those and go back to the 5A's I fly around the kit. I also like to use the LU sticks sometimes when I feel like playing heavier songs, I'm not sure why but I just prefer them for that sort of stuff.

The benefit of playing on an e-kit is it takes a LONG time for your sticks to break. tounge.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have two pairs of black Vic Firth 5A's and a pair of cheap-ass 7A's which, despite being cheap, are seriously bloody hardy. My Vic Firths are showing signs of wear and tear but they're holding up pretty well. I'd love to get the Lars Ulrich Signatures but seeing as I don't have a kit at the moment there isn't much point. I'm considering buying an electric kit simply so I can keep myself going. I don't want to lose a skill that I've invested so much time and energy on.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

If you're looking at e-kits feel free to ask me any questions you have. I've spent a lot of time researching them before iIpurchased one ( A Roland TD-9) so I'd be willing to help you with any queries you had.

Also I'd recommend finding a music store nearby if possible before trying out the LU sticks, they're definitely not for everyone especially since they're made of aluminum (with a plastic cover) with will provide a different feel in your hand. I gave them a quick go at a locl store before buying them online (they were about $20 cheaper that way).

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

I've played using LU sticks before as my mate has a pair. They do, indeed, take a bit of getting used to. They're a bit pricey which is why I'd rather have a proper kit when I get them so I can get the most out of them straight away.

Also, cheers for offering the advice. I don't really have any questions right now but I'll give you a shout when I do. I'll probably buy the cheapest piece of crap I can find, to be honest. All I need is something to practice on without making too much noise. Actually, I do have one question, how simple would it be to set up a double-bass pedal?

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:39 AM

They are a bit more than your standard sticks but at least the signature ones aren't a lot more expensive than the standard ones (only about 50c more).

I know it's tempting to get a cheapo kit and say 'well I only want to practice' but I'd really discourage against buying the cheapest thing you can find. The sounds in the modules on these are atrocious, they don't support dual or triple zone pads, which means you can't do rimshots, or choke your cymbals. I used to have an ION Drum Rocker for Rock Band 2, which is basically the equivalent of the cheapest e-kit you can buy from Medeli/Alesis and boy did it's quality reflect the price. The cymbals felt horrible if you hit them even partially on the edge, the rack was fairly unstable even with only a few pads on it and the pads themself flaked up after not to long and bubbled making them feel like total sh*t.

I really recommend checking craigslist or any other similar sites for 2nd hand Roland/Yamaha kits. They usually build their stuff well enough that you won't have problems with buying it 2nd hand. I bought my TD-9 which costs $2200 new for $850 second hand, fully functional with a bass drum pedal (which you don't get with Roland kits new). So definately look at 2nd hand first, you can get a good kit for cheaper than it costs to buy a crappier one new.

As for your double bass question do you mean in general or for e-kits in general? You pretty much set them up the same for acoustic or electronic kits, just attach the main pedal to your bass drum/kick trigger, then connect the rod from the slave pedal to the main pedal and it's set up! Of course you'll want to fiddle with how you've placed the pedals, and spring tension (which can be a bit tricky to match on each side) but it's quite simple to set up the pedals themself. If you're still in the market for double pedals two I can suggest are the Pearl Eliminators 2002C, and the Tama Iron Cobras. I own the former and have tried the latter and both are great pedals with a lot of tweakability to them. If those are a bit out of your price range the Pearl P902 is also a good option, I owned the single pedal version and it was a great simple pedal that just worked. Again see if you can find any 2nd hand ones for a better price, these pedals are built quite well.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:13 AM Edited by Exxon, 19 August 2012 - 11:24 AM.

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Friday, Aug 17 2012, 23:27)
@ Exxon, I think I use a pair of maple 7As. They've gone through a lot in the past 3-4 months and haven't shown any signs of cracking and are the lighest sticks I own.
Unless you're planning to do Death Metal, I 'd recommend 7A.

Mines are from Hayman, and this is after barely two months, maybe 5 or 6 hours in one week (I always go drumming two times) whatsthat.gif

user posted image

EDIT
These (click) are the sticks I can choose from, which do you guys think are the best?
Don't look at the prices please tounge2.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Sunday, Aug 19 2012, 06:39)
I really recommend checking craigslist or any other similar sites for 2nd hand Roland/Yamaha kits. They usually build their stuff well enough that you won't have problems with buying it 2nd hand. I bought my TD-9 which costs $2200 new for $850 second hand, fully functional with a bass drum pedal (which you don't get with Roland kits new). So definately look at 2nd hand first, you can get a good kit for cheaper than it costs to buy a crappier one new.

It's funny that you should suggest this as I started looking at second hand kits last night. I then started thinking about just getting an acoustic kit anyway (saving the cost of buying two kits) and simply dampening it. I've never felt comfortable playing on an electric kit so I think the latter option may be best.

As for the pedal, I meant on an electric kit. The kit I played on had an odd set-up with the bass pedal so I thought that might have been a standard thing. I actually used to have the Pearl P902. I bagged it for 100 so I was pretty chuffed with it.

As I said though, I'll be looking into dampening an acoustic kit. Seeing as though I have my own place, the time and the money (after saving for a while) I think I'll treat myself to something truly worthy. Once that's done I can start getting back into playing gigs, something I need to do desperately.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Could anyone help me with my previous post? smile.gif

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

I haven't used any other sticks than Vic Firth American Classic, so I can't compare any other sticks to them, I can however recommend purchasing them, they have a nice feel to them, are nylon tipped (which I prefer, I'm not sure about you) and come from a reliable brand. I heard mixed reviews from people buying Vater sticks (some say they rock, some say they suck and break too easily). Of course I can't help you pick size, thats up to you. If you have a music store go in and try out each size for a few minutes to see which one suits you.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

I got a question to not let this topic die people:

Which kick technique do you use?
Flatfoot, heel toe or slide?

I practiced the slide technique today, worked quite well.
Still practicing though, because I don't find it fast enough tounge2.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Ah man, I hadn't seen your previous post. If it's not too late, I've always stuck with Vic Firth, too, so I'd definitely recommend them.

As for bass technique, I started off playing heel-up but eventually switched to playing flat-foot. It's far more comfortable for me and allows me to play faster and more precisely. I've tried playing "slide" but I couldn't get to grips with it, more so with my left foot.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

I've practiced for 1 to 2 hours on it and my slide is quite fast in my opinion.
Especially given the short time, because it might be less than 1 hour due to me just practicing the song I've been practicing on for the entire time ...
Though it's now getting shape tounge2.gif

And thanks for the advice on the sticks, guess my next sticks will be Vic Firth.
These Hayman seem to last longer than expected, but the Vic's will be my next ones icon14.gif

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

No passionate drummers I guess? confused.gif

But I've got a question: I'm finally (probably) getting my own drummingkit.
The cymbals are from Magic and Stagg, the guy from the music organisation where I drum says they are quite useless.
Is it? I'm surely not expecting TRX quality, but are they really bad?

I am going to buy this kit anyway, it has 3 crashes, a ride and a splash and some "LP cow bell" and it'a only 300 which should be around $250?
I'm probably going to replace them after a while when I have the money again.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

I've never used them myself but I've never heard good words about Stagg. As for Magic, I've never even heard of them at all. If you're getting a kit that cheap then it's likely the cymbals will be pretty rubbish. The ones I got with my first kit ended up splitting after about a week or so. Personally I've always gone with Paiste cymbals. They always sound so damn clean and sharp. I had a set of TRX hi-hats at one point but sold them with a profit of 40. After them I had the most beautiful set of Zildjian hi-hats that were from around the 1970's. Selling them is one of the worst decisions I've ever made.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users