Drummers

152 replies to this topic
Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi everyone,

Lately, I'm very interested in drumming.
So I was wondering if there are any drummers on this forum?
If so, I've got a few questions:

1. What kind of drumming kit do you have (picture, if possible)?
2. How long have you been playing?
3. Any video's of yourself on YouTube?
4. Do you have any 'deals' with the neighbors, regarding the noise level or things like that?

Besides that, I don't think there's an 'official' drummers-topic, so we could keep this one as the official one smile.gif

Thanks,

Exxon

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

I'm actually a guitarist/bassist, but I've been thinking about learning drums. I have a few questions as well.

1. How do you read music? Does each drum represent a different note, or do you just not read music at all and kind of play by ear?
2. What're those stick things that have the little brush thing at the end called, and what are they used for?
3. Does it make any difference if you hit the kick drum with a stick as opposed to the pedal (this one doesn't really matter, I'm just kind of curious)?
4. Why do some drum sets have two different bass drums? Do they sound any different?

Boss Greaser
  • Boss Greaser

Together We Rise!

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 02:51)
4. Do you have any 'deals' with the neighbors, regarding the noise level or things like that?

1. Mapex Voyager 5pc "Big City"
2. Since christmas 2011
3. No cryani.gif
4. No if they do ask, I'll get louder. sly.gif

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Boss Greaser @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 16:04)

That's a rather small one, you don't have a ride dontgetit.gif

2.  Since christmas 2011

So, are you good at it? smile.gif

In what kind of house do you live?
Never had people complaining about the noise?

Boss Greaser
  • Boss Greaser

Together We Rise!

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 08:10)
QUOTE (Boss Greaser @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 16:04)

That's a rather small one, you don't have a ride dontgetit.gif

2. Since christmas 2011

So, are you good at it? smile.gif

In what kind of house do you live?
Never had people complaining about the noise?

1.It cost alot though.. bored.gif

2. I wouldn't say I'm the best but yeah I'm good I guess. biggrin.gif

3. I kinda am in the back of the house, my parents ask me about the noise. But no neighbors.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Rick Allen.

There's a joke about the book of One Armed Drummers, but I can't think of any, so.... Hats off to the man, Def Lep is truly World Class act of perseverance

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 11:51)

1. Unfortunately I don't have a kit anymore but I used to have a Tama Silverstar of some sort.
2. I've been playing since I was about 13-14 so about 10 years on and off.
3. I don't sad.gif
4. My neighbours were pretty noisy themselves so there was nothing they could really do.

QUOTE (King Mystery)
1. How do you read music? Does each drum represent a different note, or do you just not read music at all and kind of play by ear?
2. What're those stick things that have the little brush thing at the end called, and what are they used for?
3. Does it make any difference if you hit the kick drum with a stick as opposed to the pedal (this one doesn't really matter, I'm just kind of curious)?
4. Why do some drum sets have two different bass drums? Do they sound any different?

1. I've always played by ear. I'm partially deaf so this has become harder but it's still the best way for me.
2. They're called brushes and they're mainly used in things like jazz and blues. They give a nice and gentle sound.
3. Yes. The peddle has a beater on the end which delivers a fuller blow to the skin thus giving a fuller sound. If you hit the skin with a stick, you'll get a dull noise that sounds crap.
4. Two bass drums are simply known as double bass. They're mainly used in heavier music and they basically give the drummer more options when it comes to creating a beat or even a fill. You'll know double bass when you hear it, it's very powerful.

If you'd like some inspiration I suggest listening to Chad Smith (RHCP) or Danny Carey (Tool). They're absolutely phenomenal drummers.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

The Power Trio should be something of great interest to any aspiring skin pounder, and Peter Criss, KISS, the band I loved growing up
Every drummer is worth a damn though

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 13:10)
4. Two bass drums are simply known as double bass. They're mainly used in heavier music and they basically give the drummer more options when it comes to creating a beat or even a fill. You'll know double bass when you hear it, it's very powerful.

Do they sound the same though?

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (King Mystery @ Saturday, Jun 30 2012, 00:19)
Do they sound the same though?

I've never really been into them so I don't really know the techniques behind it. My guess is that a vast majority of the time they do, based on what I have heard. I suppose they can sound different if the drummer wants. He could switch from a swift, sharp beat to a duller, softer thud (although he should be able to do that in a single drum anyway). The times that I have used a double bass, they sound the same.

I'll leave this question to the folks who know better.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Guess there are no drummers on this forums eh? confused.gif
But does anyone know, perhaps, how much drumsticks would cost in euro's?

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Saturday, Jul 7 2012, 12:13)
Guess there are no drummers on this forums eh? confused.gif
But does anyone know, perhaps, how much drumsticks would cost in euro's?

I get my Vic Firth ones for about 6 so I think that's about 7.50. The sticks I have are tough as f*ck, too, so you get you moneys worth. Actually, I still have a black pair from when I was fifteen. I seldom use them as they're my favourite ones and I haven't seen them around since so I don't want them to break.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

So that's all eh? confused.gif
Too bad ... well, I might get drums for about 225, it even has 2 crashes smile.gif
My father doesn't really like the idea of having drums over here, but my mom does ... if I get a job mad.gif

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΛΟ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

My friend's a drummer, he's been playing for about two years or something.

I think being able to play drums is cool, but it's not really my thing. I'd much rather learn to play keyboard as I am more into composing myself. Being able to play the drums and several other instruments, now that's great since you don't have to get in a band to make music.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (_____ @ Sunday, Jul 15 2012, 22:05)
Being able to play the drums and several other instruments, now that's great since you don't have to get in a band to make music.

This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. I play a few instruments but the drums and guitar are my main ones. Piano is far tougher to play than I first though. My fingers are bloody hopeless at being independent from one another.

Do you play any instruments at all?

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΛΟ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Actually no, but I am planning to learn keyboard in the future (by myself probably) although I don't find it really necessary in order to make music.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

A friend of mine back in school is a drummer for a metal band, you should check him out, he's really good and he'll probably answer your questions:

Here is his channel.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 18:51)

1. An electronic kit with a bit of this and that.
2. Going on my 3rd year
3. Nup
4. ^

It's amazing, my 3rd year and I'm only just picking up properly bouncing the sticks which has helped me immensely but only with my left hand. My right can't bounce for sh*t even though that's my dominant side (even though I'm left handed, yeah I'm that f*cked).
What I've always been curious about is the bass kick foot placement.

Do you guys do it heel up, heel down?
Which is easier for you?

I'm a self taught drummer so I picked up a bad habit of going heel down with my right foot but now, I can manage a fast, solid beat (Think 25 or 6 to 4 which is a f*cking nightmare) but Hollywood Nights which composes of basically driving kicks throughout the song (Kick-Snare, k-k-k-s-k-k-k-s) leaves my foot in agony. The funny thing is, I can do Next To You pretty decently which again, is built upon driving kicks throughout the song (which Stewart Copeland loves to do) and being the faster song, funnily enough, I can do that one pretty well on a good day.
Anyways, I decided last year to teach myself to count with the hi-hat pedal but heel up and I'm about halfway there. Heel up and with my leftie, I can do all the easy beats but rarely double kicks and nothing consistent for more than 2-3 beats but I remain proud that I've gotten this far.
Still trying to teach my right foot to play heel up but I get frustrated easily because it feels so unnatural yet my leftie does it fine.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

I've always played heel up on the right and heel down on the left, pretty much the opposite of yourself. The real pain of it is that it makes controlling my left a bother because it feels wrong. As you said, teaching yourself to change position is a weird feeling. The odd part is that when I play double-bass my left foot goes heel up and I can play it with no problems, but when it comes to switching back to the hi-hat, my foot just goes all retarded and forgets what to do. Keeping it consistent for more than 2-3 beats is pretty damn challenging and it's one of those things that I really have to focus on. As for keeping count with my left foot, that's a no go. Like you, I'm self-taught and it's one of the things I never thought about so I've just got on with it. It doesn't really bother me as I'm pretty good at keeping time anyway.

I have a question, too. What was it that got you guys into drumming? And what was the first song you learnt to play in its entirety?

For me, Chad Smith and Lars Ulrich were just the most incredible sources of power I had ever heard. Chad has an incredible style and always has a really rich flow to his sound. Lars provides a brute beat and compliments the guitar and the bass more than any other drummer I've heard (Bill Ward is up there with him). Metallica, in general, were a massive source of inspiration to me so that helped.

As for the first song, it was "No One Knows" by Queens Of The Stone Age. It took me a bloody long time to figure it all out, play it right and then finally get to the stage where it became second nature. All in all, I think it took me about 4-5 months of effort but, as it was my first song, I was pretty damn happy with it. I still play it now to get myself back into "drum mode" and it's still just as fun to play. A massive compliment to Grohl's work, I think.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Wednesday, Jul 18 2012, 01:17)
I have a question, too. What was it that got you guys into drumming? And what was the first song you learnt to play in its entirety?

For me, Chad Smith and Lars Ulrich were just the most incredible sources of power I had ever heard. Chad has an incredible style and always has a really rich flow to his sound. Lars provides a brute beat and compliments the guitar and the bass more than any other drummer I've heard (Bill Ward is up there with him). Metallica, in general, were a massive source of inspiration to me so that helped.

As for the first song, it was "No One Knows" by Queens Of The Stone Age. It took me a bloody long time to figure it all out, play it right and then  finally get to the stage where it became second nature. All in all, I think it took me about 4-5 months of effort but, as it was my first song, I was pretty damn happy with it. I still play it now to get myself back into "drum mode" and it's still just as fun to play. A massive compliment to Grohl's work, I think.

Listening to Ringo Starr's drumwork, everything he does just works perfectly with the song. Come Together is genius. I finally turned over when I started listening to Tre Cool (Green Day). Though some of his beats are basic compared to say, Travis Barker, he provides interesting fills.
I can't think of my first song, most likely something Beatles.

If you're looking to perfect No One Knows, Rock Band offers a pretty accurate representation of what's being played.
1:15 for anything interesting wink.gif

While I'm thinking of it, the part you see at 1:30, how would you go about performing it? LRL R or LRL L?

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

My first song I played to was Narcotic from Liquido. I'm currently practicing for Baba O'Riley from The Who, but I don't always have 2 crashes, so in that case I can't practice confused.gif
Nowadays, I listen to drums way more often, and I notice that songs often have the same scheme as, for example, Narcotic, but then slower or faster, and with special fills.

And about the feet thing, I also used to play with heel down at the kick.
I already taught myself to do heel up at the kick pedal, and with the hi-hat pedal heel down.
Arrogant to say, but I really notice I'm getting better everytime. Just doing everything individually from each other is quite the pain in the ass turn.gif

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (King Mystery @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 10:14)
I1. How do you read music? Does each drum represent a different note, or do you just not read music at all and kind of play by ear?

I'd like to hear different points of view on this one. I've been curious about it for a long time, so I'd like to hear about what other people do.

I just don't understand how one would be able to read music for the drums, since it's a percussive instrument.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:47 PM Edited by Exxon, 18 July 2012 - 02:49 PM.

You can take notes like RLK RLK I guess, like this guy (0:50) wink.gif

Anyone else, perhaps?

Laura91
  • Laura91

Portia's #1 Fan

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

I had a drumkit (a used Ludwig set) and I attempted to play drums at age 16. It was a massive failure. You could have thrown a drumkit down a flight of stairs and it would have sounded more musical by comparison.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Probably wasn't that bad?
You just need to practice; my nephew came over to watch my drumming, he tried it too and it didn't really work all that well.
Day after, he came too. At the end of that day he could play 2 good-sounding beats without a real problem wink.gif

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:14 PM Edited by King Mystery, 19 July 2012 - 01:54 PM.

QUOTE (Exxon @ Wednesday, Jul 18 2012, 09:47)
You can take notes like RLK RLK I guess, like this guy (0:50) wink.gif

Anyone else, perhaps?

I'm still not quite following... what about all the cymbals and other drums and sh*t? What's the letter for those? How do you know when to hit them? You can't just make a song out hitting three drums.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:04 PM Edited by TheGreatGig23, 18 July 2012 - 07:08 PM.

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Wednesday, Jul 18 2012, 02:10)
I started listening to Tre Cool (Green Day). Though some of his beats are basic compared to say, Travis Barker, he provides interesting fills.

If you're looking to perfect No One Knows, Rock Band offers a pretty accurate representation of what's being played.
1:15 for anything interesting wink.gif

[youtube]gSKPglvYN6c[youtube]

While I'm thinking of it, the part you see at 1:30, how would you go about performing it? LRL R or LRL L?

I can't praise Tre Cool enough for his work on American Idiot. As you said, his beats can be rather basic but that's definitely not a bad thing, in my opinion. They suit his style, the Green Day sound and they're easy to pick up. But as you pointed out, his fills are the most interesting part. He managed to complete American Idiot, which has two rather lengthy songs, without ever becoming repetitive or boring. For that, I take my hat off to him.

As for "No One Knows", not to sound conceited, but I've got it down to a T, as they say. I learnt it nearly ten years ago so if I didn't know it that well, I'd be worried tounge.gif Apologies for my stupidity but I didn't really know which fill you meant, I'm afraid. I play it in the exact same fashion as Dave Grohl does if that helps. I watched him play it on as many videos I could find. He changes it sometimes, adding little bits here and there, but generally he plays it the same. YouTube covers also helped.

Reading sheet music for drums is pretty much the same as reading any other. The stave has a series of lines which represent each piece of the kit. It gets a bit complicated when it comes to the cymbals, open hi-hat, closed hi-hat, etc. as the notes are placed where others were but they look completely different. The notes are used to show whether it is played as a quarter, an eighth or a sixteenth which can be figured out by the initial timing of the song e.g. 4/4 and where they are placed between each bar. That's all I really know about it as I've never used it myself, only learnt it just in case it ever popped up. For me it is far easier to just learn it by watching, listening and, of course, practising your tits off (if you don't have tits, get some).

Edit: A quick Google search gave me a pretty basic approach to sheets which offers visuals too. Ignore what I said and read this instead.
How To Read Drum Music

@ Laura91: I highly doubt that anyone has ever sat at a drum kit for the first time and played something that can be considered good tounge.gif I guess some people are more gifted and pick it up quicker but still, you should have faith in yourself. The drums are a very technical instrument to wrap your mind around simply because you have to teach your limbs to move independently. Not an easy task.

Here's a great example of mind-wrapping individuality of the limbs.

I know there are far more technical things out there but this one is also accompanied by the voice of Jonathan Davies who, lets face it, is pretty f*cking amazing tounge.gif

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 03:04)

I can't praise Tre Cool enough for his work on American Idiot. As you said, his beats can be rather basic but that's definitely not a bad thing, in my opinion. They suit his style, the Green Day sound and they're easy to pick up. But as you pointed out, his fills are the most interesting part. He managed to complete American Idiot, which has two rather lengthy songs, without ever becoming repetitive or boring. For that, I take my hat off to him.

As for "No One Knows", not to sound conceited, but I've got it down to a T, as they say. I learnt it nearly ten years ago so if I didn't know it that well, I'd be worried tounge.gif Apologies for my stupidity but I didn't really know which fill you meant, I'm afraid. I play it in the exact same fashion as Dave Grohl does if that helps. I watched him play it on as many videos I could find. He changes it sometimes, adding little bits here and there, but generally he plays it the same. YouTube covers also helped.

I fell in love with those quick tom fills throughout the song but to be fair, it didn't get much trickier than that.

In No One Knows when it starts to pick up and the drums get trickier, I'm talking about the drum part when Homme sings for the 2nd time And I realize you're mine.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 01:13)
I fell in love with those quick tom fills throughout the song but to be fair, it didn't get much trickier than that.

In No One Knows when it starts to pick up and the drums get trickier, I'm talking about the drum part when Homme sings for the 2nd time And I realize you're mine.

I know what you mean. When I first started learning it, I though "Ah sh*t! This is going to be hard", and it was up to a point, but it's really not as difficult as it sounds.

Right, so by LRL R or LRL L, do you mean the cymbals? If not, I apologise, but I don't really see what else you mean. The right hand should be doing all the cymbal work whilst the left remains on the snare so I don't really get why you'd start with the left unless you're left handed. I start with the right crash, left, then back to right again.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 09:17)
QUOTE (buzbegone @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 01:13)

I know what you mean. When I first started learning it, I though "Ah sh*t! This is going to be hard", and it was up to a point, but it's really not as difficult as it sounds.

Right, so by LRL R or LRL L, do you mean the cymbals? If not, I apologise, but I don't really see what else you mean. The right hand should be doing all the cymbal work whilst the left remains on the snare so I don't really get why you'd start with the left unless you're left handed. I start with the right crash, left, then back to right again.

Na, but you're getting close. If you go back to that video I posted a couple back, it's at 1:29.

I just realised I f*cked up, I meant the 3rd time he sings it. My bad tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users