• Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

There are several issues which I wish to address in this topic. Since I know half the people who frequent this forum have the attention span of a 10 year old with ADHD, I'll make it short and sweet.

inb4thelock Posts and Images

Seriously, just f*ck off with them. They're not even funny and they contribute nothing except spam the forum up. You see them, report them please. Those who post them will receive warnings or temporary bans. Repeated offences may even result in being permanently banned.

Spam Posts

Keep in mind single word posts, posts that only contain smiles, and posts that only contain an image or a meme are considered spam and you will likely be warned or temporarily banned for them. If you see them, report them please.

Backseat Moderating

It's starting to become quite common lately and it's annoying. If there is a problem (against the rules, needs to be moved, use wishlist, ect..), just report it and staff will deal with it. It seems to be most common in idea topics where someone barges in and declares to the topic starter that it must be posted in the wishlist. If you think something belongs in the wishlist just report it and staff will decide.

Reporting

Staff don't have the time nor the ambition to read every post in every topic, so we rely on you guys to bring things to our attention, and we appreciate those who do it. That said though, don't abuse the report system. We frequently get reports from people who report other users just because they don't like them, or because they disagree with one of their ideas. To be honest, you're just wasting our time. We could really care less about such issues. It's the internet. Man up.

Also on the issue of reporting, not everything has to go in the wishlist. I'm kind of getting annoyed by people reporting every topic that pops up saying it has to go in the wishlist. If it's a wishlist or a sh*tty topic that's like one or two topics it can go in the wishlist, but the majority of the rest can just stay. We're here to moderate the discussion, not hinder it by forcing everything into the wishlist.

That is all. If there are any questions, don't hesitate to PM me or any of the other area moderators here, or just post them.

BlackandWhite23
  • BlackandWhite23

Lost in the World

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

Thank you for the information i know things a lot cleared now. But maybe pinned it this thread icon14.gif

Apollo_33
  • Apollo_33

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

user posted image

Just kidding. I agree on everything, especially the backseat moderation thing which is like a plague in here.

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Ryan, I think you take this forum (and probably life, too) way too seriously. I think you need to lighten up and laugh some more.

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Shouldn't this be pinned and locked and put at the top banner thing so people read it?

Not guilty of any of those but I have seen all of them happen sadly.

EDIT: Nope, not back seat moderating, just asking a question before anyone accuses me of that, just asking if it'll be pinned, locked and people actually made to read it.

crackhead91090
  • crackhead91090

I don't want a f*cking title

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (BlackandWhite23 @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 05:38)
Thank you for the information i know things a lot cleared now. But maybe pinned it this thread icon14.gif

This is what he means by backseat moderating

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

I suppose I best say what I think rather than expressing my opinion with Gifs in some cases. Ah well it was fun while it lasted and I wasn't aware it was against the rules. I'll take note not to do that anymore. Thank you for the post Ryan. tounge2.gif

Apollo_33
  • Apollo_33

Foot Soldier

• Members

QUOTE (Dale Nixon @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 22:39)
Ryan, I think you take this forum (and probably life, too) way too seriously. I think you need to lighten up and laugh some more.

There's nothing funny about the constant spamming that's perpetuated on GTAForums. It just messes up everyone's browsing and forum experience.

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

QUOTE (crackhead91090 @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 22:40)
Thank you for the information i know things a lot cleared now. But maybe pinned it  this thread icon14.gif

No, that's a good suggestion, not backseat moderating.

This would be backseat moderating:

''Thread locked.''

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

QUOTE (crackhead91090 @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 19:40)

No, not really. As I said, I more so mean the people who come into a topic telling people that they need to post here and there and say the topic is locked.

@Dale: I don't think so. This place is a sh*thole and always will be. I'm just trying to keep it a civilized sh*thole

i am a girl on the internet
  • i am a girl on the internet

Here since 2003

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

I usually report duplicate threads. I'm sick of seeing rehashed versions of threads that were made 6+ months ago.

You guys should definitely add "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" to that list, or put it in a big banner along the top of the page.

BlackandWhite23
  • BlackandWhite23

Lost in the World

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 22:41)
QUOTE (crackhead91090 @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 19:40)

No, not really. As I said, I more so mean the people who come into a topic telling people that they need to post here and there and say the topic is locked.

Ooooh...Oke moto_whistle.gif

RipGore
  • RipGore

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

It must suck being an admin. Locking all these posts every single day.

crackhead91090
  • crackhead91090

I don't want a f*cking title

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (Dale Nixon @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 05:41)
QUOTE (crackhead91090 @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 22:40)

No, that's a good suggestion, not backseat moderating.

This would be backseat moderating:

''Thread locked.''

Oh my mistake.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

QUOTE (i am a girl on the internet @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 19:43)
I usually report duplicate threads. I'm sick of seeing rehashed versions of threads that were made 6+ months ago.

You guys should definitely add "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" to that list, or put it in a big banner along the top of the page.

Meant to mention this too. With as active as this section is, off course there are going to be duplicate topics. If there's an existing topic or the same page or a couple of pages back, report it and we'll decide, but there's no point in reporting a topic and linking to a 1 year old topic.

BlackandWhite23
  • BlackandWhite23

Lost in the World

• Members

QUOTE (RipGore @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 22:44)
It must suck being an admin. Locking all these posts every single day.

I think its not the admins but the members knowing the rules of making topics that isn't GTA V related or just not worthy

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:46 PM Edited by gionascm2, 28 June 2012 - 10:48 PM.

It seems to be most common in idea topics where some asshat barges in and declares to the topic starter that it must be posted in the wishlist.

This was pretty disrespectful. The main reason people try to act like mods is because they want to become one, by proving to the staff that they are responsible and have the mind of a forum leader. I rarely suggest something to belong in the Wishlist Thread, but when I do I don't consider myself an asshat; I want to help the mods because like you said, they don't have the ambition to read every single post, and they're not always on. I understand that we have no rights here, but is it really necessary to get mad at users trying to help the forum moderators?

A8flyer
  • A8flyer

LIVE N DIE 4 GTA

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Where is HOLDMYBALLSACK lol.. Biggest troll in this forum

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Well as much as I wish that these guidelines would be followed Ryan I dont think the 15 year olds that have been here for 2 weeks give a sh*t.

But heres to hoping that this thread gives them a reason to second guess their dumb decisions

BlackandWhite23
  • BlackandWhite23

Lost in the World

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 22:46)
It seems to be most common in idea topics where some asshat barges in and declares to the topic starter that it must be posted in the wishlist.

This was pretty disrespectful. The main reason people try to act like mods is because they want to become one, by proving to the staff that they are responsible adn have the mind of a forum leader. I rarely suggest something to belong in the Wishlist Thread, but when I do I don't consider myself an asshat; I want to help the mods because like you said, they don't have the ambition to read ever single post, and they're not always on. I understand that we have no rights here, but is it really necessary to get mad at users trying to help the forum moderators?

Thats possible true what you just wrote Some people wanna help you mods/admins out

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

inb4thelock

QUOTE (Ryan @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 00:41)

@Dale: I don't think so. This place is a sh*thole and always will be. I'm just trying to keep it a civilized sh*thole

Haha, well said. That sounds like a campaign poster actually for someone who would run for President of Somalia.

But yeah, hopefully this thread will gain some popularity over the next few days to help get the message across. Pinning it actually often has the opposite effect I think (your eyes misses it because it's prepended with "Pinned").

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 19:46)

This was pretty disrespectful. The main reason people try to act like mods is because they want to become one, by proving to the staff that they are responsible adn have the mind of a forum leader. I rarely suggest something to belong in the Wishlist Thread, but when I do I don't consider myself an asshat; I want to help the mods because like you said, they don't have the ambition to read ever single post, and they're not always on. I understand that we have no rights here, but is it really necessary to get mad at users trying to help the forum moderators?

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. I know you and people who do the same thing are just trying to help, but 90% of the time, where you guys are trying to direct them isn't the best place and it can make it confusing for the topic starter. It's just better off to report it saying that you think it belongs and elsewhere and include a link and staff can decide.

t9kane
  • t9kane

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:54 PM Edited by Barguast, 28 June 2012 - 11:09 PM.

In before the lock.

User temped for this post

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Yeah @gionascm2 I think Ryan is probably referring to those fellas going around threads being very negative and saying things like "Don't be an idiot. This belongs in wishlist". There's a lot of that speak going on lately like it's coming from a higher authority. Not kissing ass, I wouldn't dare being a mod again (was in 2007 in IV section, which surprisingly I find now was amazing compared to what /V is today).

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

user posted image

Naw, I'm just joking Ryan. I actually do agree with you in some cases. It must be hard trying to keep this place civilised.

Luk38644
  • Luk38644

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (Apollo_33 @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 22:39)
user posted image

Just kidding. I agree on everything, especially the backseat moderation thing which is like a plague in here.

That did make me laugh!

i am a girl on the internet
  • i am a girl on the internet

Here since 2003

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 22:55)
Yeah @gionascm2 I think Ryan is probably referring to those fellas going around threads being very negative and saying things like "Don't be an idiot. This belongs in wishlist". There's a lot of that speak going on lately like it's coming from a higher authority. Not kissing ass, I wouldn't dare being a mod again (was in 2007 in IV section, which surprisingly I find now was amazing compared to what /V is today).

Speaking of which, how was the IV section during the run up to its release? I remember people getting pissy when the game ended up being delayed, but I don't remember it being as wild as the V section.

BlackandWhite23
  • BlackandWhite23

Lost in the World

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Gst0395 @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 22:56)
user posted image

Naw, I'm just joking Ryan. I actually do agree with you in some cases. It must be hard trying to keep this place civilised.

Says the guy not obeying the rules

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 09:49)
It's just better off to report it saying that you think it belongs and elsewhere and include a link and staff can decide.

Ah, i wasn't sure on this, see i usually report, provide reason and then comment in the topic with a link if it has been posted on like the same day.

Next time i will just include the link in my report.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (BlackandWhite23 @ Thursday, Jun 28 2012, 22:58)
Says the guy not obeying the rules

Like I said, I was joking. I usually try my best to obey rules.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users