32 replies to this topic
A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Simply suggestion, perhaps already been suggested in the past.

In member profiles, there are "interests" and "awards", whilst the "awards" are given in recognition for contributions. I think it would be great, if Multiplayer events, were given more official support by the forum itself, by having a separate category, for "Multiplayer Rewards".

Already you see users like myself, listing them in interests, others do the same too.

Why would this be good? Because it would encourage people to join events, it would also promote the forum as a whole too.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

You mean like little medals/entries for when you win an event? The only question I see is, how do you decide what events are legitimate and which aren't? I mean, an Xbox only Cops 'N Crooks with only 6 slots and with the event notice posted an hour before it starts isn't really a feat to win, much less deserving of a little medal on your profile. People will be filling up their logs with little things like that just to look cool and superior. confused.gif

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (fireguy109 @ Tuesday, Jun 26 2012, 00:46)
You mean like little medals/entries for when you win an event? The only question I see is, how do you decide what events are legitimate and which aren't? I mean, an Xbox only Cops 'N Crooks with only 6 slots and with the event notice posted an hour before it starts isn't really a feat to win, much less deserving of a little medal on your profile. People will be filling up their logs with little things like that just to look cool and superior. confused.gif

I recognise this would be the major stepping stone to introducing such a reward system / new profile addition

However there should be a non-subjective and official way of rewarding hosts such as AndyGanteks, docrikowski amongst others some more recognition with official "GTAforum events".

I personally consider this forum as a great means to organise games and events, this would just add that little bit of official support I think some events such as "Gang League" deserve.

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

No one has anything more to add or reply to this idea, of expanding the profiles, or giving "multiplayer events" more forum support?

I'm not insisting it has to be done, but it's an idea, many sites have means to organise ways to "compete" online through PSN / XBL, like leaderboards / tournaments / ladders etc...none do it for GTA IV any longer, they will probably start again with V, not to mention the Rockstar Social Club will also be doing the same or something similar.....why can't gta4.net / GTAforums.com pave the way or set-up something now, before any others do, a means to making "events" both competetive, but more importantly for "fun" purposes...guys like docrikowski created events, then you made the events section....I think there is huge potential to expand it further, before V comes, and in the last days of IV.

Any feedback/ thoughts welcome.

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Best New Gang 2012 - High Rollers

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

i think its agreat idea aj, the event would need to be approved but trusted people could give the all clear, the rewards could be for main events and there could be a bronze silver and gold trophie icon in there. but it doesnt show up under the avatar but when you go onto the profile. i think the mods and admins will put forward a valid reason why this shouldnt be done though, probably because they cba.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

i think the mods and admins will put forward a valid reason why this shouldnt be done though, probably because they cba.

Well that's definitely the right attitude to have. icon14.gif

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (*MURDOC* @ Friday, Jun 29 2012, 16:41)
i think the mods and admins will put forward a valid reason why this shouldnt be done though, probably because they cba.

Well that's definitely the right attitude to have. icon14.gif

Thanks Nic, perhaps this idea has been "in the pipeline". I'm sure when V get's released other sites such as "ps3leaderboards" or "Gamebattles" will be fully supporting V's multiplayer modes, surely it would make sense if the largest GTA fanbase on the internet as in this site / forum built a respected and in some ways an "official" set of competitive tournaments and more relaxed fun events too, getting it set-up now for IV events, but more importantly ready for V. Rockstar has shown how much they value MultiPlayer with Max Payne 3 and RDR, in my opinion it makes sense if this forum tries to value it a little more too, with more support. As it stands, it is good, thanks to the hard work of individuals, like docrikowski and AndyGanteks, but it could always be better.

*MURDOC* if you have nothing productive to say, then please keep your comments to yourself or PM them.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

That was a productive thing to say, it's not my fault that your grudge against me clouds your judgement so badly that you assume everything I post is negative.

Tell me how having a "Mods and Admins don't give a f*ck about us" attitude is "productive" as you say.

Having a negative attitude about the staff isn't going to help your idea to be taken seriously.

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (*MURDOC* @ Saturday, Jun 30 2012, 19:39)
That was a productive thing to say, it's not my fault that your grudge against me clouds your judgement so badly that you assume everything I post is negative.

Tell me how having a "Mods and Admins don't give a f*ck about us" attitude is "productive" as you say.

Having a negative attitude about the staff isn't going to help your idea to be taken seriously.

I don't personally have any negative attitude about the staff, quite the opposite to be honest, but the fact that none have yet posted any thoughts or reply about my suggestion, does make me question the purpose of this section.

As for my judgment, that's just fine, your witty sarcasm isn't needed. Simple as that.
And in regards to your request - "tell me how....is productive as you say"... it's not, and I never said it was, however to have someone else involved in the multiplayer section come and say it's a good idea, is productive in my opinion, plus if more did the same, minus the negative attitude of course, I'm sure the idea would be taken more seriously, hopefully. wink.gif icon14.gif

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

I'm low on the staff ladder, but since you want staff opinion, here it is.

I don't think it's a good idea. We don't need a separate section in the profiles for multilayer medals and achievements. This is a forum dedicated to the discussion, not your PSN or Live profile.

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Saturday, Jun 30 2012, 22:05)
I'm low on the staff ladder, but since you want staff opinion, here it is.

I don't think it's a good idea. We don't need a separate section in the profiles for multilayer medals and achievements. This is a forum dedicated to the discussion, not your PSN or Live profile.

Thanks Ryan smile.gif

I understand your point about it not being needed, but it's a way in which the forum - GTAnet.com could build. So whilst it might not be needed, it would add another dimension to it, a lot of people would really like. Of course what I'm talking about, goes way beyond simply just adding another part to the member's profiles.

What I think would be good is if this site, home to the largest GTA fanbase on the internet, had a better means of providing the chance to organise and take part in contests - multiplayer events. Rather than them being limited to "topics"...have a part of the network dedicated to "Multiplayer Events" with an inbuilt system that provides legitimate contests. With those contests linked to the member profiles - awards. Or maybe let this site remain the same, not consider dedicating more to multiplayer / social aspects.

Rockstar's Social Club will be getting more and more improved, providing the chance to do such thing, whilst this site / network remains just a place for "discussion". Perhaps that is all GTAforums/GTAnet wants to be, a place for discussion, so why have an events section? Why ... because GTA IV gave us GTA fans multiplayer, but now seeing as multiplayer is becoming more and more at the forefront of Rockstar games this site in my eyes should be following in someways. Hope this has made sense.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Saturday, Jun 30 2012, 21:48)
QUOTE (*MURDOC* @ Saturday, Jun 30 2012, 19:39)

I don't personally have any negative attitude about the staff, quite the opposite to be honest, but the fact that none have yet posted any thoughts or reply about my suggestion, does make me question the purpose of this section.

As for my judgment, that's just fine, your witty sarcasm isn't needed. Simple as that.
And in regards to your request - "tell me how....is productive as you say"... it's not, and I never said it was, however to have someone else involved in the multiplayer section come and say it's a good idea, is productive in my opinion, plus if more did the same, minus the negative attitude of course, I'm sure the idea would be taken more seriously, hopefully. wink.gif icon14.gif

I don't think at all that bringing members from your gang or your event to agree will help in taking this idea seriously.

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

yeah aj its a great idea dude it could be mainly be put in place for the main events and be shown on your actual profile. i think this could work really well but we just need some help from the admins.

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

I agree with aj, this forum IMO should have more involvement and support the gangs more, specially in gang events and such. There could be a talk with moderators before doing events so there can be some "prizes" for the winners icon14.gif

HD97XL
  • HD97XL

Yeah it's for real

• Members

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

To be honest with you AJ, I have no idea what this topic is about.. I am new to even the idea of a forum for GTA more or less informed enough to have an educated opinion on this subject. Before I joined this, I just played the hell outta TMW and tried to climb the ranks. Sorry, but maybe when I figure this forum out completely I can voice my ideas on this subject.

Mr. Reaper.
  • Mr. Reaper.

Inactive Account

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (HD97XL @ Monday, Jul 2 2012, 20:31)
To be honest with you AJ, I have no idea what this topic is about.. I am new to even the idea of a forum for GTA more or less informed enough to have an educated opinion on this subject. Before I joined this, I just played the hell outta TMW and tried to climb the ranks. Sorry, but maybe when I figure this forum out completely I can voice my ideas on this subject.

Basically he wants there to be a list of medals from Events you've taken part in listed on your profile when clicked.

--

It's a great idea!

But as mentioned, it'd be difficult to operate as anyone could add their own medals and false claims.

If the staff we're prepared to created a hidden user group and allow users that have had several successful events to have access to add medals to users, then that would work.

But that is quite complicated and time consuming operation.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

This is what signatures are commonly used for. If you want to hold MP events and claim bragging rights over other groups of like-minded competitors, then put your spoils in there. Doing this expansion would mean an ungodly amount of work for only the slightest payoff. I'm not saying your idea is bad, it is simply impractical to consider implementing at this time.

Then again, nobody tells me anything about what's going on with the supposed new forum software.

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Wednesday, Jul 4 2012, 08:30)
This is what signatures are commonly used for. If you want to hold MP events and claim bragging rights over other groups of like-minded competitors, then put your spoils in there. Doing this expansion would mean an ungodly amount of work for only the slightest payoff. I'm not saying your idea is bad, it is simply impractical to consider implementing at this time.

Then again, nobody tells me anything about what's going on with the supposed new forum software.

Good to hear from more people on this idea. Thanks anuj and Mr Reaper.

I realise signatures are commonly used to display stuff like them "emblems, badges, trophies or medals", however the size is limited. So a very success player is limited tounge2.gif

I noticed that the Annual awards winner's have their profiles updates with medals, for winning stuff by popular vote, this couldn't be done also for say actually winning by merit, rather than votes? E.G. - Best Multiplayer Gang Awards, goes to the gang that is victorious in most "Gang Battles"....

Basically what I think this forum needs is just a little more support for the multiplayer aspect of GTA, I don't think it was prepared for IV, because sections were made after it was released (Events section due to the success of the turf wars topic) surely seeing as V is going to be even bigger, the forum itself should invest a little more into it..

Official league, tournaments , contests...I know other sites will be doing this, a pity this one seems less inclined to give it a serious thought...

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm not trying to derail here, but I'm not seeing how winning by popular vote is any less legitimate of a competition. To answer your question, our "Best Gang" award goes to gangs that our voting members respect the most. If you win 100% of your matches but you are the most foul-tempered arrogant sons of bitches ever to grace the internet, then there is no way you deserve a medal for being a dick.

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Friday, Jul 6 2012, 17:04)
..but you are the most foul-tempered arrogant sons of bitches ever to grace the internet..

gets my vote.

enjoithepain
  • enjoithepain

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

I really like the idea aj, it would be good to see more support for multiplayer events icon14.gif

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (disco @ Friday, Jul 6 2012, 15:18)
QUOTE (anuj @ Friday, Jul 6 2012, 17:04)
..but you are the most foul-tempered arrogant sons of bitches ever to grace the internet..

gets my vote.

You shut up ma'am.

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Friday, Jul 6 2012, 16:04)
I'm not trying to derail here.

Good to hear, so don't wink.gif

My point about the awards wasn't about legitimacy, sure winning by vote counts as much as competition, my point was that such awards were added to member's profiles no trouble at all, then surely genuine and legitimate event awards could be given to certain member's for winning awards too.

e.g. Best Multiplayer Player Award went to Cakepicnic and AndyGanteks (16 votes each) Fair enough, they get a medal for earning this.

But then say if the 1 vs 1 event was less of a fail and actually worked, a medal could be given to the eventual winner of that tournament. This would encourage players to take part in the events, which ultimately makes successful events !

Another example, the current event I'm organising, with the help and input from other 'multiplayer gangs' - GTAF Gang Wars, If the winning gang at the end of it, had a medal or some sort of recognition from the forum itself (i.e. each member was awarded one), and not just an avatar / signature, that would give the event a significance within the forum itself.

---

Also, Thanks enjoi smile.gif icon14.gif

coldmurda
  • coldmurda

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

I can almost agree with this for other reasons.. This forum gives out a lot of medals for other things like the Writers' Discussion and the Debates & Discussion which are completely unrelated to the GTA end of GTAForums (and I have nothing against that, but why not try to have more related to GTA). It would seem appropriate to have some sort of category for winning competitive events.

Although I do disagree using the Event Forum itself could really never work unless the forum leaders like Doc were the people to allow medals to events he sees fit.
Rather than that maybe a possible Official GTAF Multiplayer Events Area with a legitimate latter? Wouldn't be so much a Forum as it would a Page with Teams/Gangs on it listing how many wins/losses are on it, and the leader of the gang would need to sign up for the Events Latter to be on the page.

I don't know, it's honestly not even a big deal to me whether or not it happens, just throwing an idea out that I thought would be a cool thing to see. Like I said above, I have nothing against the unrelated GTA medals, but I have noticed over half the GTANet Annual awards are dedicated to the unrelated things (27/52):

Community Awards

Most Respected
Most Helpful
Most Improved
Best New Member
Best Returning Member
Funniest Member
Topic of the Year

Special Awards

Greatest Asset to McDonalds
Strangest Appearance
Biggest Drama Queen
Worst Username
Most Likely To Be Arrested For Cyber Bullying
Creepiest Member
Biggest Spammer
Most Missed
Worst Topic Maker
Most Annoying Member

Expression Awards

Most Talented (Visual Arts)
Picture of the Year (Visual Arts)
Most Helpful (Visual Arts)
Best Signature
Best Writer
Story/Poem of the Year
Best Debater

Staff Awards

Best Area Moderator
Best Global Moderator
Best Administrator

Don't get me wrong I understand the lighthearted jokes behind some of these and I do fined some funny myself.. All I'm trying to say is it would be nice to see a few Official GTA awards given out. I do understand the idea I suggested wouldn't be as easy as a few mouse clicks and some HTML slapped around, but I figured it might be worth the effort.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

I could see us giving out medals for an annual competition, but nothing more frequent than that.

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Sunday, Jul 8 2012, 19:01)
I could see us giving out medals for an annual competition, but nothing more frequent than that.

That would be excellent icon14.gif smile.gif

Why not more?

Gangs / Social Club Crews tournaments - Individual tournaments - Racing leagues - Special one-off events *

Stuff which isn't too serious colgate.gif

---

Thanks grove for pointing out more reasons for more event support / multiplayer.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Sunday, Jul 8 2012, 13:08)

Why not more?

Gangs / Social Club Crews tournaments - Individual tournaments - Racing leagues - Special one-off events *

---

Thanks grove for pointing out more reasons for more event support / multiplayer.

I think maybe you should be happy that we're willing to do anything with it, honestly. Don't push your luck.

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Sunday, Jul 8 2012, 20:00)
QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Sunday, Jul 8 2012, 13:08)

Why not more?

---

I think maybe you should be happy that we're willing to do anything with it, honestly. Don't push your luck.

I'm pushing my luck, by giving suggestions and asking questions? dontgetit.gif

GTAforums and GTAnet is about one thing GTA, if Rockstar continues it's trend of investing a lot into multiplayer, which no doubt it will, this place should keep up.

As for the point about, 'stuff that's not too serious'....that would / could set this place apart from other sites that do similar things.

Anyways, I'm happy to hear more will be done, thanks for taking the time to read through the posts, anuj and other admins. smile.gif

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:46 AM

aj has put some great ideas and points across, but why make it annual? its not going to be a big thing? just a little medel icon in the persons profile when you click on it. and it can be totally seperate to the main forum awards. as for the icon it can be a standard bronze/silver/gold medal or a custom medal made by the event founder. are those some good ideas? smile.gif

as for the argument of weather the event is official im sure the mods can decide if its an overnight event or the real deal. who knows you could even put someone incharge to run this like doc or maybe a normal member smile.gif

coldmurda
  • coldmurda

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (nic_23 @ Monday, Jul 9 2012, 00:46)
aj has put some great ideas and points across, but why make it annual? its not going to be a big thing? just a little medel icon in the persons profile when you click on it. and it can be totally seperate to the main forum awards. as for the icon it can be a standard bronze/silver/gold medal or a custom medal made by the event founder. are those some good ideas? smile.gif

as for the argument of weather the event is official im sure the mods can decide if its an overnight event or the real deal. who knows you could even put someone incharge to run this like doc or maybe a normal member smile.gif

We'll your talking about giving busy people more sh*t do, no one would be a big fan of that.

Having an annual award or two is more than I really expected to actually happen. I'd say you would be lucky if they made an official event where you could play each game like SA:MP, GTA IV, BoGT, or TLaD (on PC, XBOX, and PS3) and they gave out a medal for winning the event annually.
I'd quit while your ahead with this one, could be a good deal if they come through turn.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users