[WIP|IV-EFLC] GTA2 RAGE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
377 replies to this topic
Garju67
  • Garju67

Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (d3jan @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 20:37)
nice pic, is that enb ?

Thx . Yes , it's ICEnhancer 1.3 .
And , because i except a lot of comments about ENB , ENB or ICEnhancer will be not included in GTA2 Rage !

futureAllrounder
  • futureAllrounder

Stay cool!

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Garju67 @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 18:44)
QUOTE (d3jan @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 20:37)
nice pic, is that enb ?

Thx . Yes , it's ICEnhancer 1.3 .
And , because i except a lot of comments about ENB , ENB or ICEnhancer will be not included in GTA2 Rage !

GTA 2 on Rage

weird dozingoff.gif

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Forgot how awesome some of the GTA2 music was, Funami FM is brilliant. Also digging around the old files for old times sake.

user posted image

Usman55
  • Usman55

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

I tried playing GTA and GTA 2 many times but left it in between as it was very difficult to know what was happening and I didn't even knew where to go.

Great going already. Is it going to be complete with all the radio stations, weapons, cars, and missions?

(I'm asking these questions as I haven't read the previous posts yet. I'm gonna do it now.)

Voit Turyv
  • Voit Turyv

The Emperor of Outworld

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

What is going to be done about cars? Will they be original from GTA IV or GTA2 ones done from scratch?

ParoXum
  • ParoXum

Proud PC Gamer

• Members
  • None
  • Best Texture/Model 2013 "SRt3 2012 Mipmap Edition"

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

You shouldn't aim for photorealistic textures, it's going to break the soul of the place.

Garju67
  • Garju67

Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

Here is a comparison between original and HD textures :

Original

user posted image

HD

user posted image

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:05 PM Edited by Frank.s, 24 June 2012 - 10:08 PM.

Triples textures look great, but i see what Paroxum is talking about. I've been using photorealistic textures simply because i can't hand-draw
HD textures in the retro-futuristic cartoon style of GTA2's original map so instead i pinched a bunch of photo's from cgtextures.
If someone can make high quality textures that are the same style as the classic GTA2 atmosphere then that would be great. Triple Penetration, can you do that? Or are photo-style textures the only ones you can do?

Garju67
  • Garju67

Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Monday, Jun 25 2012, 00:05)
Triples textures look great, but i see what Paroxum is talking about. I've been using photorealistic textures simply because i can't hand-draw
HD textures in the retro-futuristic cartoon style of GTA2's original map so instead i pinched a bunch of photo's from cgtextures.
If someone can make high quality textures that are the same style as the classic GTA2 atmosphere then that would be great. Triple Penetration, can you do that? Or are photo-style textures the only ones you can do?

What you talking about ?
Triple's textures are awesome . They keep GTA2 feeling . I like the style and it will not change .

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

We should have a choice between the two.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:23 PM Edited by Frank.s, 24 June 2012 - 10:29 PM.

QUOTE (Garju67 @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 22:15)

What you talking about ?
Triple's textures are awesome . They keep GTA2 feeling . I like the style and it will not change .
GTA2 has a cartoonish atmosphere, what i mean is that using photo realistic textures creates a totally different feeling and a different atmosphere. (and i guess this is what Paroxum means too)
There could be high quality textures in the same cartoon style as GTA2 and that would make it look much more like GTA2 than photoreaistic textures would, know what i mean?

QUOTE (nkjellman)
Agree.

Garju67
  • Garju67

Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:25 PM Edited by Garju67, 24 June 2012 - 10:29 PM.

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Monday, Jun 25 2012, 00:23)
GTA2 has a cartoonish atmosphere, what i mean is that using photo realistic textures creates a totally different feeling and a different atmosphere.
There could be high quality textures in the same style as GTA2 and that would make it look much more like GTA2 than photoreaistic textures would, know what i mean?

Triple's textures have GTA2 cartoonish atmosphere .

"We should have a choice between the two. " : Don't agree . It's Rage Engine (2008) not old and outdate GTA2's engine (1999) .

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Chris

• Feroci Racing
  • Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Garju67 @ Monday, Jun 25 2012, 00:15)

What you talking about ?

The models are still flat, adding photo realistic textures will really exaggerate that.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 22:26)
QUOTE (Garju67 @ Monday, Jun 25 2012, 00:15)

What you talking about ?

The models are still flat, adding photo realistic textures will really exaggerate that.

GTA 2 models kinda remind me of Minecraft.

ShakingASS
  • ShakingASS

Rollin Clufs

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

I love it but agree it's bit flat needs a 3d bumping view on models.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

Again, are you working on the lighting though? GTA2 had brilliant Night lighting that gave the atmosphere a massive boost (always preferred to play at Night), if those Future style Neons and Fluorescent Lights arn't glowing everywhere, then I'm not sure what to think.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:45 PM Edited by Frank.s, 24 June 2012 - 11:20 PM.

Hopefully possible, luckily GTAIV has a feature that allows glowing night lights.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (ShakingASS @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 22:40)
I love it but agree it's bit flat needs a 3d bumping view on models.

I agree. Maybe there may be a way for him to make fake 3d curbs with bump and spec maps.

But keep in mind. The models are made for a PS1, 90's PC erra game.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:59 PM Edited by Frank.s, 24 June 2012 - 11:07 PM.

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 22:52)

You know i'm remodeling them right?

Edit: Ah ok. lol.gif

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 22:59)
QUOTE (nkjellman @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 22:52)

You know i'm remodeling them right?

Now I do.

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Chris

• Feroci Racing
  • Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Monday, Jun 25 2012, 00:41)
Again, are you working on the lighting though? GTA2 had brilliant Night lighting that gave the atmosphere a massive boost (always preferred to play at Night), if those Future style Neons and Fluorescent Lights arn't glowing everywhere, then I'm not sure what to think.

I bet it's not possible to keep the vertex color from gta2 models?.
Anyway, they just need to place omni lights....a...lot..of...omni...lights.
The basic lighting can be done thru timecyc though.

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Unfortunate piece of meat

• Feroci Racing
  • Croatia

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

This looks interesting, wonder if the models are imported using the same plugin you use now.

Sebianoti
  • Sebianoti

Graphic designer

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Have you all forgotten that this mod is made by Garju67? If he says he wants to just use HD textures then let it be... don't like it? make your own mod.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Sebianoti @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 23:20)
Have you all forgotten that this mod is made by Garju67? If he says he wants to just use HD textures then let it be... don't like it? make your own mod.

Yea I have to side with Garju67. The HD textures look a little better for Rage. In SA the normal textures are fine. GTA 2 does kinda look a little flat for Rage. It seems to fit SA better in my oppinion. Thats why he wants it HD.

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Chris

• Feroci Racing
  • Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (Sebianoti @ Monday, Jun 25 2012, 01:20)

This is a forum, were giving feedback, whatever he does with it, is up to him. But he made this topic, so apparently he wishes that people comment on his progress on the mod?.
And even if he don't wishes, he made the topic, and we have free right to post whatever we want as long as its within the rules of this board.
(btw, im not defending anyone, just stating how it is)

Sebianoti
  • Sebianoti

Graphic designer

• Members

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 23:28)
QUOTE (Sebianoti @ Monday, Jun 25 2012, 01:20)

This is a forum, were giving feedback, whatever he does with it, is up to him. But he made this topic, so apparently he wishes that people comment on his progress on the mod?.
And even if he don't wishes, he made the topic, and we have free right to post whatever we want as long as its within the rules of this board.

Feedback, hmm, well you got the right,

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:16 AM Edited by Triple Penetration, 25 June 2012 - 07:18 AM.

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 22:23)
QUOTE (Garju67 @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 22:15)

What you talking about ?
GTA2 has a cartoonish atmosphere, what i mean is that using photo realistic textures creates a totally different feeling and a different atmosphere. (and i guess this is what Paroxum means too)
There could be high quality textures in the same cartoon style as GTA2 and that would make it look much more like GTA2 than photoreaistic textures would, know what i mean?

QUOTE (nkjellman)
Agree.

No, photorealistic ones aren't the only ones I can do, that's why (except metal) most of my textures are scratch-made. If you mean cartoony style as in Team Fortress 2 which practically are realistic textures without any detail - yes, I can make them, but I don't want to - my tablet broke a few weeks ago (I am getting a new one asap) and TF2 textures look good only on mid-poly/high-poly textures. Even SA doesn't look good with them, only IV. Why would GTA2 models suddenly look good then?

And my textures barely meet realistic standards, apart from HD-iness and quality, you will notice the contrast of colours from GTA2 when I make more.

About your models, why are you doing the houses that are perfectly fine? Why not fill the ones with holes (you can't see the holes in GTA2 because of the view) and escalate/extrude the pavements, so they would make it a better driving experience? Imo you're doing a thing that is not so important now.

And for choice between two - yes, between low-quality textures and mine, but not between cartoony and realistic, unless somebody else makes the cartoony ones. I would lose motivation after drawing and drawing from 64x64 sized textures, I'd rather use mouse and photoshop.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• Members

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:27 AM Edited by Frank.s, 25 June 2012 - 08:33 AM.

Ah, understandable.
About your models, why are you doing the houses that are perfectly fine? Why not fill the ones with holes (you can't see the holes in GTA2 because of the view) and escalate/extrude the pavements, so they would make it a better driving experience? Imo you're doing a thing that is not so important now.
The building that i'm doing right now is the "Jesus Saves" church which is the starting location and safehouse for the player. I'm re-modeling it because it's a building that the player would see the most often. I will be extruding all the pavements too, yeah.
I agree that re-modeling all the buildings is somewhat pointless, also some HD road textures would be great if you could do those next. I've already re-modeled the very first bit of road + pavement however the road texture i used isn't as good as one could be.
Once i've finished the Church i will lower the roads to create curbs and then after that patch up any holes.

Sebianoti
  • Sebianoti

Graphic designer

• Members

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Monday, Jun 25 2012, 08:27)
Ah, understandable.
The building that i'm doing right now is the "Jesus Saves" church which is the starting location and safehouse for the player. I'm re-modeling it because it's a building that the player would see the most often. I will be extruding all the pavements too, yeah.
I agree that re-modeling all the buildings is somewhat pointless, also some HD road textures would be great if you could do those next. I've already re-modeled the very first bit of road + pavement however the road texture i used isn't as good as one could be.
Once i've finished the Church i will lower the roads to create curbs and then after that patch up any holes.

dear lord i sure hope you don't use these crap clean black road textures with strong yellow lines that look so unnatural in GTA IV

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

For first time in GTA mod history, I am going to make blue roads with yellow lines like in GTA2.

I will try many different variations (roads are my favorite to texture, but GTA2-like ones will be my first time), I hope we will find a way to include these different variations.

Frank, just in case, could you make the outer corners of pavements curved, like in IV or SA? Or that would be too much work? I think using same new pavement corner model shouldn't be hassle to put on every corner, right? It would be repetitive, but that's it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users